Speak Out: Public School Tornado Drills

Posted by brasej on Tue, May 28, 2013, at 1:19 PM:

Mr. Glass did not know what he was talking about when he said, "We don't have students crouching in hallways anymore during a tornado warning." Wrong. This common practice is always followed at the elementary schools. Storm shelters are needed.

Replies (6)

• A few construction dollars steered away from sports stadiums to safe rooms would make sense to me.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, May 28, 2013, at 1:33 PM
  • I remember crouching under my desk for Atomic Bomb drills during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Pretty sure that was to get in a comfortable position to kiss your *** goodbye.

-- Posted by bothedog on Tue, May 28, 2013, at 3:21 PM
  • brasej, You are correct. I only know of one school --Alternative Education, board office building-- that has a shelter in place on their interior classrooms.

High school and many of the elementary buildings shelter in lowest level hall way.

-- Posted by survivalist on Tue, May 28, 2013, at 3:25 PM
  • We never had bomb drills when I was in school. We didn't feel like we were at risk out there in Bollinger County in our little two room schoolhouse. Come to think about it.... I predate the atomic bomb. It may have been invented when I started school. But we would not have known what to hide from.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, May 28, 2013, at 3:35 PM
  • A read an article recently that said that Oklahoma schools built after 1999 have tornado shelters. I do not know if Cape Central built one when the new school was built. St. Vincent's school has the main hallway designed to serve as a shelter, according to a recent article in the Missourian, if I recall.

I would seem to me that a row of concrete box culverts could be laid at ground level, waterproofed, and then covered with earth to form a shelter for not a lot of money, but that wouldn't make anybody rich building them, so I suspect something more elaborate would be required once the bureaucrats were finished designing it.

The nice thing about the culvert idea, it would provide a raised berm on top of which a set of bleachers could be built. But, again, that would be too simple an idea for modern school designs, methinks.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, May 28, 2013, at 3:54 PM
  • SH

I like the culvert idea. It could be accessed by a door on either end allowing for quick "loading" and dual exits in case one end was blocked by something during the storm.

But you are right, it won't work, not enough money could be wasted doing something this simple.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, May 28, 2013, at 5:43 PM

Respond to this thread