Speak Out: Mr. Rangel proposes yet another bill to reinstate the draft.

Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Mar 6, 2013, at 4:36 PM:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr748/text

One has to wonder why he is so obsessed with imposing involuntary servitude upon Americans.

However, when the Republican-controlled Congress allowed his bill to come for a vote back in 2004, he voted against it:

http://www.nysun.com/national/rangel-votes-against-own-bill-to-renew-draft/2765/

It's all for show, apparently.

Replies (16)

• Maybe he's serious this time. I have no idea if enlistment rates are up or down, but maybe they are down and there is a need for more troops. Perhaps it's harder to get enlistees with an anti military commander in chief. I'll throw this out for all the conspiracy nuts: Perhaps it's not for foreign wars at all. Think about that one. Gotta have someone to shoot all the bullets being bought by homeland security.

-- Posted by dab1969 on Wed, Mar 6, 2013, at 5:30 PM
  • dab; Speaking of conspiracy nuts.....Jesus Christ, look in the mirror after re-reading your post.

-- Posted by left turn on Wed, Mar 6, 2013, at 5:50 PM
  • Well looky,lefty's up and about. Re-read it yourself numb nuts.

"For all the conspiracy nuts." Just havin' a bit of fun and you bit into it like free guvmint cheese.

-- Posted by dab1969 on Wed, Mar 6, 2013, at 6:14 PM
  • Be careful,diss,lefty may still be awake. Better name is "nohumorman". Like a NASCAR driver. Keeps turning left and not getting anywhere.

-- Posted by dab1969 on Wed, Mar 6, 2013, at 7:29 PM
  • -- Posted by Dissident. on Wed, Mar 6, 2013, at 6:17 PM

Diss,

I would not have used the word whispering.... I think a word starting with "P" would be more appropriate.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Mar 6, 2013, at 7:29 PM
  • What become of Rangel's tax problems?

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Mar 6, 2013, at 7:38 PM
  • Old John, I think he got a reprimand of some sort then was reelected by all the poor folks in his district. Typical congressional thief. You and I would join the rest of the felons.

-- Posted by dab1969 on Wed, Mar 6, 2013, at 8:30 PM
  • I've never understood the mentality of the voters that elect the Rangels of politics. Of course I'm a bit slow in that respect, still don't understand why Obama was elected.

I think he may be still trying to win approval by claiming the people of his district are too stupid to be accepted by the military and a draft would fit into the class war agenda by contending poor and rich people's children would be equal via a draft.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Mar 6, 2013, at 8:41 PM
  • His new bill extends draft registration to women. I had asked, back when the idea of 'allowing' women to serve in combat positions, whether people would thus support drafting them, as well. Apparently, Mr. Rangel does.

In actuality, Mr. Rangel's bills have never been about drafting people. His argument (which is based on a flawed premise) has always been that blacks die disproportionately in battle, and that a draft is needed to make it fair. He also has claimed that white men would be less likely to send people off to die in battle if their own sons and daughters were among them.

There is, of course, no evidence to support that. Men have gone to war, draft or no draft, as long as there have been men. I seriously doubt that politicians, in voting to support wars, ever give more than a passing consideration to the idea that their own sons and grandsons (and now daughters and granddaughters) may be among the casualties of war.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Mar 7, 2013, at 8:13 AM
  • Tell that clown, already forgot his name, who is over there shooting his mouth off, to give the kid running the asylum called North Korea a hug.... it will make him feel better.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 7, 2013, at 9:09 AM
  • Just make a parking lot out of N Norea. Problem solved. Give Iran an example of what can happen if we want to get serious

-- Posted by left turn on Thu, Mar 7, 2013, at 9:52 AM
  • -- Posted by left turn on Thu, Mar 7, 2013, at 9:52 AM --

Funny how aggressive 'the left' can be at times. I thought they were anti-war?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Mar 7, 2013, at 10:00 AM
  • SH

That was my first thought... although I don't totally disagree when someone is hurling threats around like that. Kind of Preempt the Preemptor.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 7, 2013, at 10:11 AM
  • SH

I am anti-war when it is unnecessary (1.e.) Iraq

-- Posted by left turn on Thu, Mar 7, 2013, at 10:46 AM
  • I am anti-war when it is unnecessary (1.e.) Iraq -- Posted by left turn on Thu, Mar 7, 2013, at 10:46 AM

So you must have been very upset when Bill Clinton sent troops to Bosnia. Or when Barack Obama did a surge of troops into Afghanistan and now more Americans have been killed in Afghanistan under Obama than Bush.

Glad we got that out of you.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Mar 7, 2013, at 12:24 PM
  • Dug, try to come up with something new. Your cookie cutter responses are like a broken record. Same s**t in every response.

-- Posted by left turn on Thu, Mar 7, 2013, at 3:50 PM

Respond to this thread