Is America a Police State?

Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Feb 8, 2013, at 4:32 PM:

Many have already sold their freedom for a free ride. They don't care. Yet!

Replies

I read an MSNBC poll result yesterday: 78% of Americans agree with executive orders to use drones for targeted assasinations.

To answer your question - yes.

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Fri, Feb 8, 2013, at 7:33 PM

And who watches MSNBC? The people that will follow Obama off the cliff.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Feb 8, 2013, at 8:06 PM
  • Larry Arns gave a good lecture or natural rights.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but it wasn't hard for me to realize I never understood completely what I percieved to be the kind of rights the constitution protects until I heard that lecture.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I once watched an Amazing Story type TV show that depicted the un-brainwashing of a fellow to bring him back into the fold of right side. It was successful but in the end the story revealed he was on the right side before the un-brainwashing.

The point I try to make is that when someone eats the good food for too long he may need to sample the less good now and then just to make sure he can still tell the difference.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Feb 8, 2013, at 11:36 PM
  • One sentence from the article: "Most of Palestine has been stolen by Israel with Washington acquiesce and aid." I know it's from an opinion piece but that is an opinion I would need more convincing on.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Feb 8, 2013, at 11:44 PM
  • Was just thinking and that usually gets me confused even more. I'm a little foggy on French history but didn't the French throw off all catagories of class structure only to have Napoleon restore class structure and a dictatorship in place of a monarch in just a few years? How'd he do that?

Now my self confused thinking is seeing similarities with the history of France and today's America. Was it his control of information fed to the people? Was it his ability to get himself painted in a good light [literally] as the savior of the country? Or was it the fact that he managed to bring all Frenchmen together on an even parr, stripped of the advantage of firearms?

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Feb 9, 2013, at 12:52 AM
  • Indeed an interesting discussion and I look forward to later today, reading the input of others.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Feb 9, 2013, at 1:22 AM

The term "natural rights" has always been awkward to me. Does the sky start raining chicken, or the earth bust open if someone is denied their "natural rights"? Try to break other laws of nature and there is a consequence.

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Sat, Feb 9, 2013, at 6:38 AM
  • "....believes the documented evidence provided by a large number of scientists, first responders, and structural engineers and architects...."

That's right every person that observed aircraft flying into the WTC was imagining it or seeing things. There was no plane flown into the Pentagon, nor was one forced to crash in Pennsylvania. It was all really done by "Hollywood" and the US Government.

"...to target his own citizens for execution without any charges or due process, far from any battlefield."

If an American "citizen" is on a battlefield in Yemen, continuously plotting against this country and sending suicide bombers to blow up planes, he has relinquished any and all rights of citizenship. Why would we just wait until he is successful?

In between those preposterous claims of a US "police state" are equally absurd suppositions about Congress, the FBI, Israel, etc. etc. How could anyone take any of the ramblings and fictions of Mr. Roberts seriously?

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Feb 9, 2013, at 8:04 AM

CSM,

Do you believe that it is acceptable to torture terror suspects, i.e. through waterboarding or other means?

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Sat, Feb 9, 2013, at 9:40 AM
  • "...acceptable to torture terror suspects..."

The question is irrelevant. The fact is that torture does not work. All we ever got was out dated information of little value.

"...I have no clue who was responsible for 9-11..."

Are you trying to convince anyone that you do not believe aircraft were flown into the WTC?

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Feb 9, 2013, at 10:04 AM

"Old John, Not familiar with much of French History."

BC,

What if I told you that you had a Great Great Great Great Grandfather who fought in Napoleon's Army? :-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Feb 9, 2013, at 10:06 AM
  • I still feel it's strange that liberals throw a fit over waterboarding but defend drone dropped bombs to take out the same people, often along with innocents.

I think it is relevant.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Feb 9, 2013, at 10:16 AM
  • Wheels, I'm guessing he was not French?

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Feb 9, 2013, at 10:26 AM

Wheels, I'm guessing he was not French?

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Feb 9, 2013, at 10:26 AM

BrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaK!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Feb 9, 2013, at 10:30 AM

Common, bases his thoughts and decision on the D or R behind their names. He doesn't recognize that a lot if not most of their ideologies have merged.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Feb 9, 2013, at 10:35 AM
  • "...provisions for dealing with traitorous citizens."

So we are to risk the lives of American soldiers to fly into Yemen so we can capture him and bring him back to the US for a trial.

Furthermore, had any of suicide missions that he planned and launched been successful, we could have ended up with an airplane load of murdered Americans. Them everyone would have been screaming that we should have eliminated him when we had the chance.

I have zero sympathy for a terrorist that hides in Yemen plotting to murder Americans. If he wanted constitutional protection, he should have returned to America.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Feb 9, 2013, at 1:09 PM
  • "Is America a Police State? ...

Yes , since the year 1820 ."

If you really care to discover how ridicules that "police state" claim is, try asking someone who lived in East Germany, the Soviet Union, Albania, or China in the last part of the 20th century. They would laugh in your face.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Feb 9, 2013, at 1:15 PM
  • "Liberty is sometimes inconvenient."

Perhaps so, but I am in no way convinced that 2 dead terrorists in the mountains of Yemen protend the end of democracy or liberty in America.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Feb 9, 2013, at 1:18 PM
  • "Furthermore, had any of suicide missions that he planned and launched been successful, we could have ended up with an airplane load of murdered Americans. Them everyone would have been screaming that we should have eliminated him when we had the chance."

Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Feb 9, 2013, at 1:09 PM

I may be wrong but I think I recall something about the U.S. being offered Osama in custody and that offer refused by President Clinton. "He was a hot potato". Not sure about the screaming but people did make their dissatisfaction known.

Some wish to try terrorist captured on the battlefield in NYC to protect them from military justice and torture and at the same time they are ok with killing them with drones before they even get to the battlefield.

Sorry to sound uncooperative but I am a little confused.

Go back and research some old threads and I think you will find Spaniard has been consistant regarding the subject of the thread even though he shows his bias for liberalism. On the other hand, one particular "support Obama no matter what" poster has proven he is undecided even if he doesn't know it.

I'm not trying to be condecending or taking sides as I'm convinced there is a good discussion with some learning to be had here.

I'm leaning to toward the answer of yes America is a police state only if those police state powers affect someone else and not me.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Feb 10, 2013, at 12:15 AM
  • "...every month a 100,000 Americans are sent to consatraion camps."

Thats's 1.2 million per year, so since 1960 it has been 50 years, so that's 60 million. You would think that someone might have noticed.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Feb 14, 2013, at 8:28 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: