Thank you Cabellas for showing us.

Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 8:14 PM:

Cabella's had a glitch that put a separate line of receipts showing the Medical Excise Tax. Infowars was sent a receipt by a reader showing how the middle class that shops there what they are being charged. I think all businesses should be doing this instead of hiding it as a general tax.

The site shows the receipt.

http://www.infowars.com/medical-excise-t...

Replies

• I'm not familiar with Cabellas. The article indicates it is a sporting goods store, so why a medical device tax?

Another question: Will medicare be paying that tax on all the scooters and other stuff TV advertisers claim they can get you for free?

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 8:29 PM

OJ

That's what I was thinking. When I started business I was very surprised at all the hidden costs associated with employees. I guess there is a lot of things that are considered a medical Device.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 9:07 PM
  • Another Photoshopped Photo on A non reliable website. This is not news.

-- Posted by 3forone on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 9:08 PM
  • I'm still trying to figure how we could have progessed to the point that medical insurance and medical expenses has to paid for by someone else other than the recipient.

On second thought I think I know.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 9:14 PM

-- Posted by 3forone on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 9:08 PM

Do you investigate before you post? THe receipt was not photoshopped. It was real. It truly was a glitch in the Cabela's computer system because Cabela's doesn't sell medical devices.

No photoshopping. Where did you get that? Of the Obama White House web page?

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 9:52 PM

Dug

I wondering if some things Cabela's sells are considered medical devices. There should be more information out this week over this.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 10:20 PM
  • If Cabela's is actually selling medical devices, then there is nothing wrong with what they did. Why is this a problem?

If they are not selling medical devices, then they are probably just keeping the $5.82 for themselves.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 10:43 PM
  • Common, You're probably right, must be owned by a rich liberal just trying to maximize profits. :) :)

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 10:55 PM
  • Q15. Are there any exemptions to the medical device excise tax?

A15. Yes. There are specific statutory exemptions for eyeglasses, contact lenses, and hearing aids. There is also an exemption for other devices that are of a type that are generally purchased by the general public at retail for individual use (the retail exemption).

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 10:56 PM
  • This reminds me of the little signs on the gasoline pumps showing how much is for tax and how much is for gas.

I remember seeing a sign on the back of a big rig saying "This truck pays $xxxx per year in road taxes, now stay the heck out of my way!"

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 11:01 PM

If they are not selling medical devices, then they are probably just keeping the $5.82 for themselves.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 10:43 PM

Cabela's?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 11:57 PM
  • "Medical device excise tax.The Act imposes a 2.3 percent excise tax on the sale of certain medical devices by the manufacturer, producer, or importer of the device. The tax applies to sales of taxable medical devices after December 31, 2012."

If Cabela does not manufacture, produce, or import the device, they are applying the tax erroneously.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 9:29 AM

I say if the government is charging the tax in any way to Cabela's they are justified in passing it on to the customer and should absolutely itemize it rather than let the government get away with hiding another tax on us.

If Cabela's is not being charged the tax they would appear to me to be exposing themselves to a fraud charge by applying a tax to a customer's bill. Cabela's is a large operation and I hardly think they are stupid enough to do that and pocket the money as Common so quickly charges.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 10:38 AM

"Cabela's is a large operation and I hardly think they are stupid enough to do that and pocket the money as Common so quickly charges."

You have that right.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 2:54 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: