[SeMissourian.com] Fair ~ 50°F  
Wind Advisory
Monday, Nov. 24, 2014
Post reply Read replies (40) More threads Create thread

Lib here's some more spin material
Posted by Mowrangler on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 7:58 AM:

Can't wait to see how the obamazombies spin this. Yesterday was American Day of Service. obama and his family painted a bookcase in a school. President George Bush donated his pickup to charity and it brings $300,000.

Replies

Definition of SERVICE (n)ser·vice [ súrvəss ]

1.WORK done for somebody else: WORK done by somebody for somebody else as a job, duty, punishment, or favor

2.helpful ACTION: an ACTION done to help somebody or as a favor to somebody

3.WORK for customers: WORK done for the customers of a store, restaurant, hotel, or similar establishment, often with regard to whether it pleases them or not

-- Posted by Alibaba on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 8:10 AM

So bondoo your saying that obama's painting a bookcase will help more people than $300,000? Bondoo is a great name your you. All filler that can be molded by anybody and under time and stress will crack and fall out. Always reducing the value of whatever its used on.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 8:57 AM

Now service is judged by the value of it? When someone gives up their personal time to volunteer to serve whatever cause they choose, how can a value be assigned to that? Each of us only have so much time on this planet. Sure donating items can raise a lot of money for the cause, along with a tax deduction. Just ask the Salvation Army or the Red Cross, money given or Volunteering, which do they wish more people were doing?

-- Posted by riregrist on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 9:26 AM

More training for the continued worship of the state. And on the 6th day they gave unto the state.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 10:00 AM

Yes services or service is always judged by the value of it. Do you give a better tip to a waiter or waitress that is polite, keeps your drink glasses full and gives a good experience. Or do you give the bigger tip to someone who is hateful and gives a lousey experience? So riregist if your the chairman of a charity which can you do more with. A painted bookcase or $300,000?

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 10:18 AM

The point of the day was to do something for someone else. Petty and childish to compare volunteerism and charity on hierarchical scale.

-- Posted by mysterious on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 10:34 AM

Petty and selfish to do so little and brag so much about it.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 10:37 AM

Hey Mow, what did you do yesterday? (Rhetorical question.) For most, that is more important than standing in Bush's shadow or belittling the President's service.

-- Posted by mysterious on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 10:42 AM

I celebrated National Firearms Appreciation Day. I went to serveral gun shops and told them how much I appreciated there service and standing up for our 2nd Amendment Rights. I got many thanks yous, hand shakes and people telling me they appreciated the thought. So just what did YOU do.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 10:48 AM

If you volunteer your professional experience or donated a sum of cash to pay expenses I am impressed. If you did a photo op I am not.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 10:55 AM

You need to look up "rhetorical question".

Visiting gun shops is hardly considered a "service", but thanks for sharing how you selfishly supported a "cause" rather than servicing a community need.

Volunteerism and charity does not need to be bragged about. In the end, the one who needs to know, knows all.

-- Posted by mysterious on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 10:57 AM

Apparently you in incapable of knowing what "service" is. I consider telling people you appreciate them and their efforts is a service. If volunteerism doesn't need to be bragged about then why all the kodak moments of obama painting the bookcase.

I'll ask you the same question. If you were the chairman of a charity which would you be able to do more with. A painted bookcase or $300,000?

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 11:01 AM

At least when Jimmy Carter broke all those OSHA regulations he was actually contributing to a worthy cause.

If the bookcase paint is extra shinny, maybe Mochelle can make a picture of it for Ebay capturing her reflection mistaken for the Virgin Mary and get a fortune for it "for the children".

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 1:13 PM

I stayed home and did absolutely nothing, thereby making no mess for anyone else to have to clean up. I consider that a service to others. More should try it more often.

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 9:22 AM

A couple more definitions:

---------------------------------------------------------

char·la·tan: noun \ˈshär-lə-tən\

one making usually showy pretenses to knowledge or ability : fraud, faker

---------------------------------------------------------

sucker: noun \ˈsə-kər\

a- person easily cheated or deceived

b- a person irresistibly attracted by something specified i.e. a sucker for photo ops

-- Posted by Dug on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 10:15 AM

-- Posted by bond008 on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 8:10 AM

The scary part is you believe that Obama is sincere and his photo-op "service" of painting a bookcase a great deed.

Jimmy Carter is truly a volunteer and service is his game in retirement. George Bush goes around the country visiting wounded veterans and their familys. He disdains photographs of the incidents and doesn't speak to the press about it. He does it voluntary to support those in need.

A friend of mines son was critically injured in Afghanistan right before the election. Obama showed up at Walter Reed for many photos a couple of weeks before the election. My friend and his son were startled when Obama walked in unannounced and had photographers taking pictures with them and Obama. Guess who Obama visited that day? Only wounded soldiers from swing states. The friends had their picture sent by the administration to his home-state newspapers showing Obama with their son. Other wounded soldiers got no visit that day - they were from non-swing states.

And you swoon at Obama's 15 minutes of bookcase painting. Obama donated less than 1% to charity while he and Michelle were making tons of money. Then he ups the amount when he decides to run for president.

bondoo8 - what did you do yesterday to help your fellow american other than defending a presidential photo op?

-- Posted by Dug on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 10:39 AM

Bush took the amount earned from the truck off of his income tax as a charitable donation.

Thank you Mr. President. You might as well know that no matter what you do for the citizens of this country, there are some in Southeast Missouri who will refuse to acknowledge it.

I agree Rick. Everyday should be a service day.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 12:51 PM

-- Posted by Reasoning on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 12:51 PM

OMG - Obama paints a book case in a photo-op and we are derided for refusing to acknowledge this great feat of "charity" or "service"?

Jimmy Carter climbs all over homes built for the poor and hammers nails for weeks on end. The man is ancient and has more money than he needs yet devotes his time. THAT is service to those in need.

I'm just pointing out that the Obama believers will herald anything this man does and worthy of praise. Painting a book case? Seriously?

bondoo8 - by your very definition alone:

"2.helpful ACTION: an ACTION done to help somebody or as a favor to somebody"

Bush's donation was an ACTION done to help somebody. Thanks for acknowledging Bush's "service" as well.

-- Posted by Dug on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 1:45 PM

Reasoning how do you know Bush wrote this off his taxes? Are you his accountant? Besides that would be a writeoff for 2013 taxes which I'm sure he has not filed yet. Besides I bet he can only write off the actual value of the truck not what it actually brought. My hats off to Barrett-Jackson auction service. They do the charity auctions with no commissions and no buyers or sellers fees. The check is made straight out to the charity. They raise millions of dollars each auction.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 2:39 PM

Mowrangler, Does that mean the buyer of the truck writes off the amount he paid as a charitable deduction and Bush writes off the estimated value too? If so, maybe there is justice in the tax code now and then. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 3:01 PM

Old John: The deduction would be split between the two parties base on the fair market value of the truck. If said truck was worth around $30,000; then George W. Bush could claim a ~$30,000 deduction as the fair market resale value for the truck and the buyer could claim a $270,000 donation to charity that they paid above and beyond the trucks true value.

They both don't get to claim the full deduction. Charity auctioneers that pitch items to bidders as being "tax deductible" are usually in the wrong as most charity auction items do not sell for significantly more than their estimated market value.

-- Posted by Nil on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 4:09 PM

I'm no tax expert, but best I remember if you buy something at a charity auction it is not tax deductible. Because you are not donating but you are receiving something for your donation.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 5:56 PM

Nil

You can only write off hat it is worth. Been there. Done that. To do otherwise is fraud.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 6:07 PM

Accurate vehicle donation information:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4303.pdf

-- Posted by persnickety on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 6:48 PM

"According to IRS rules, donors who win items at charity auctions can claim a tax deduction for their charitable contribution only for the amount paid for the item over its fair market value. For example, if a bidder wins a year's membership at an exclusive golf club where annual memberships cost $4,000 a year and the winning bidder paid $6,000, he can legally deduct $2,000 as a charitable contribution on his taxes.

Winning bidders must be able to prove that they paid more for the item than its fair market value. Charities often provide fair market values of items for bid at auctions. If the winning bidder believes the accuracy of the charity's estimate and she paid more than the published value, a tax-deduction can be taken on the additional purchase amount. If the charity did not provide an estimated fair market value, it is the winning bidder's responsibility to estimate the value properly to substantiate her deduction, if taken. She also has to prove to the IRS how she determined the determined."

http://www.ehow.com/info_8151274_auction...

-- Posted by persnickety on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 6:54 PM

Nil You can only write off hat it is worth. Been there. Done that. To do otherwise is fraud.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 6:07 PM

The 50% rule, is 50% of your AGI. Nothing to do with the fair market value of the donation.

-- Posted by persnickety on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 6:55 PM

jane05265, Hi, welcome to the forums. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 7:42 PM

Jane

When I did mine I had to have a dealer to give me a appraisal of its fair market value for my records.

I'm sure GW can use the full deduction this year but if not he can carry it over to the next year. But you can only base the donation on the fair market value of the vehicle. I have no idea what the percentage status is for the Fisher House Foundation.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 10:59 PM

Here you go Jane.

Deduction more than $500. If you donate a qualified vehicle to a qualified organization and you claim a deduction of more than $500, you can deduct the smaller of:

The gross proceeds from the sale of the vehicle by the organization, or

The vehicle's fair market value on the date of the contribution. If the vehicle's fair market value was more than your cost or other basis, you may have to reduce the fair market value to figure the deductible amount, as described under Giving Property That Has Increased in Value , later.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 11:26 PM

One things is for sure, I won't ever lose any sleep over this because it will never apply to me. LOL

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:18 AM

Rick I'll never be in the position to donate a truck to charity. If I do I'm sure my named being attached to it would no where be as good as President Bush's. I can also guarantee I wont have $300,000 laying around to donate. obama will see to that.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 2:02 PM

"Exceptions to Gross Proceeds Limit -- Generally, if one of the following applies, you may be eligible to deduct your vehicle's fair market value on the date you donated it."

I'm guessing the fair market value of that truck was quite a bit more than the one sitting on the used car lot down the road.

President Bush probably has plenty of money already and not a large taxable income. I reckon he will get the maximum deduction.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:36 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

Want to comment?

In order to participate in semissourian.com's forums, you must be a registered member of the site. Once registered and logged in, you can post comments to existing threads or post new threads of your own. Click below to register now (it's free!). If you're already registered, just start commenting and posting threads.