[SeMissourian.com] A Few Clouds ~ 45°F  
River stage: 15.35 ft. Rising
Thursday, Dec. 25, 2014
Post reply Read replies (55) More threads Create thread

A poll question
Posted by BCStoned on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 3:38 PM:

Do you think that you can prevent tyranny because you have a semi-automatic rifle?

My opinion: I'm not against semi-automatics or even rifles that look like military assault rifles or even fully automatic rifles. I don't think that semi-automatic rifles or pistols stand a chance against a military, or in some cases, the arsenal of the police.

Let's face it; since civilians are out gunned, they have no method of violence to prevent tyranny. Tyranny can only be prevented by peaceful means. That is something that seems to escape most of the public.

Tyranny happens when people accept it. In the US, people find tyranny acceptable.

Replies

Manifestos have a tendency to get one in very hot water.

-- Posted by ratiocination on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 4:48 PM

Rick, You just described Castro's Cuban revolution and the dethroning of the Russian Tsar.

BC, Yes, it as Frederick Douglas said. "The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."

Problem is, people must be informed and educated enough to recognize the beginnings of tyranny to prevent it with the vote.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 11:54 PM

Problem is, people must be informed and educated enough to recognize the beginnings of tyranny to prevent it with the vote.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 11:54 PM

But people also love security of the nanny state. Otherwise they have to create their own destiny.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 12:06 AM

I should have indicated informed and educated in the right way. Our society has been educated and informed in a gradual way to accept authority.

I think maybe the armed part of our society has contributed to the gradual part.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 12:45 AM

You may or may not be able to prevent tyranny with semi-automatic rifles. The bigger question: can you prevent tyranny without them?

Throughout history, we have seen that one man or group of armed men have stood against overwhelming odds and changed the course of history. From the Spartans at Thermopylae to the Alvin York and Audie Murphy, such men have made their place in history.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 9:27 AM

The bigger question: can you prevent tyranny without them?-Shapley Hunter

Yes, through education.

BC, Yes, it as Frederick Douglas said. "The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."Old John

I may have more faith in the younger generation than it deserves, but I think the direction the US is heading will change. Libertarian speakers are becoming more in demand on college campuses, replacing neoconservatives.

Neoconservatives may have reached their high point in having two presidents in a row. But along with Keynesian economics, the future is downhill for them. Tyranny will be replaced by the marketplace.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 10:12 AM

The human spirit can not be controlled

-- Posted by .Rick. on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 12:20 AM

I beg to differ, look at the obama followers and you can plainly see most are having their spirits controlled.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 10:55 AM

Wow BC I thought you were going to make it a whole thread without using the word neoconservatives.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 10:57 AM

They can have army's and tons of weapons but when they start out after rural and backwoods areas it will be like Vietnam. City people will be easy to corral since all they have to do is cut their electricity and they will be starving and out of fuel within a couple of weeks. All that will do to country folks is put them in survival mode.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 11:06 AM

The things we country boys have that gives the military the upper edge, and that is family and friends.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 11:12 AM

Mowrangler, Those in charge call themselves neoconservatives. Progressives may be a better term for them since they think and act as early 20th century progressives.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 11:19 AM

The things we country boys have that gives the military the upper edge, and that is family and friends.-- Posted by BCStoned on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 11:12 AM

I guess military are all orphans? They have no friends or families? Your experiences in the military clearly were not good. I get that.

Your disdain for today's military and those that serve I don't get. I believe you are pretty clueless about those that serve today and the "generation" that you speak highly of in the post above - today's youth.

-- Posted by Dug on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 11:34 AM

Dug, What makes you think that I have a disdain for those that serve in the military?

-- Posted by BCStoned on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 12:20 PM

I believe the government will fire on its own citizens as it did at Waco and Ruby Ridge.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 12:33 PM

Waco and Ruby Ridge were radical nuts who got what they deserved.

-- Posted by franchisee on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 12:41 PM

Were the accusations government made against the Branch Davidians as reason for assault ever proven?

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 1:06 PM

"Waco and Ruby Ridge were radical nuts who got what they deserved."

The complaceny of fools is the foothold of tyranny.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 1:52 PM

As I understand the situation at Waco: you had a group of people who were convinced that the government was going to knock down their door and try to take their weapons, so the government knocked down there door in an effort to take away their weapons, to show the world those people were crazy...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 1:54 PM

...and the world believed it.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 1:55 PM

The government went after Koresh on rumors of child molestation. His guns were legally obtained.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 11:19 PM

Old John, The local sheriff investigated Koresh before the attack by the BATF and found no evidence of child molestation. The BATF would not investigate child molestation, that is a local issue.

The BATF was pulled away from the attack on Koresh and was replaced by the FBI after the four BATF agents were killed.

The original attack was a media event that went wrong. One of the Davidians was a mail carrier and was informed of what was about to take place at the church by a reporter. He warned Koresh, so the church members were prepared for the worst. One of the members placed a 911 call to the local police after the start of the attack.

If the BATF wanted to arrest Koresh, they had plenty of chances before the attack. Some of the officers had even went shooting with David before.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 12:32 AM

.Rick., If the boy (David) was who they were after why didn't they arrest him away from the church? They had plenty of chances, without risking the lives of other members of the congregation.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 12:57 AM

BC, I agree. According to the media he had his followers believing it was coming, the big showdown with government. They should have just left them alone.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 1:10 AM

.Rick., You say the Davidians fired first, does this mean that you have evidence to support this?

When John Danforth sought evidence from the attack, he was denied access to evidence that may have shown that the BATF fired first. We know that they shot the dogs before they went to the front door. Experts could have determined who shot first from the front door, but the door went missing.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 1:11 AM

Old John, That mirrors my thoughts.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 1:13 AM

So tyranny reared it head and a few people are dead. All the talk of conspriracy is plain and simple herasy. The BTAF was justified because nobody rightly testified and someday there will be a movie playing to back up what their saying.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 1:37 AM

BC Rock: To answer your question in one word I would say yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_gene...

Rick, the more I read some of your answers I am convinced you are not native American but rather someone who is portraying him / her self to be Native American.

-- Posted by mobushwhacker on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 4:11 AM

I would suggest watching Waco: Rules of Engagement for those who think the Branch Davidians got "what they deserved".

Roger Ebert review of documentary:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs...

Waco Rules of Engagement Documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLiyLFST...

-- Posted by mobushwhacker on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 4:20 AM

mobushwhacker, I have seen "Waco: Rules of Engagement" and I think everyone would benefit from viewing it.

The "Branch Davidians" did not deserve that treatment, and the Weavers at Ruby Ridge did not deserve the treatment they got.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 4:40 AM

The survivors of Ruby Ridge 'got what they deserved' (or at least what they agreed to accept) when the United States government settled out of court for its inappropriate actions in the siege. The government gunned down innocent citizens, and paid millions to the survivors to keep it out of the courtroom.

And, yet, there are far too many people who still believe the government was justified in what it did there.

That is how tyranny gets a foothold.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 9:22 AM

Dug, What makes you think that I have a disdain for those that serve in the military? -- Posted by BCStoned on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 12:20 PM

BC - I may have you confused with someone else but I thought I'd seen numerous posts running down those that would be in the military, join it or maybe just the "military" itself and not individuals. But I could be wrong and, if so, apologies.

-- Posted by Dug on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 1:41 PM

Dug, My problem lies with the military-industrial-complex. It demands wars and insurrections in order to sell arms to this government as well as other governments around the world. Soldiers and their targets are merely vehicles for profit.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/ar...

A lot of those tools sold in Jordan are used against American soldiers that were in Iraq and Afghanistan. Although those arms were to be sold to governments, they sometimes end up on black markets, like the Israeli/Turkish black market in Turkey.

In these black markets, even though the US Government forbids sales to certain groups or governments, anyone with cash can obtain weapons.

Perhaps, a woman's son serving in Afghanistan fell to one of those devices. Perhaps the device was made in the US.

A CIA agent was exposed for investigating the black market in Turkey. The agent was said to be an expert on Iran's WMD.

I served in the military, but take no pride in being a vehicle used by the military-industrial-complex for profit.

I don't know if I provided enough for you to understand that it is not those serving that I disdain, it is those who profit off death and destruction.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 2:14 PM

You provided more than enough even though I was owed no explanation. Thanks. It was what I figured after I thought about it but wasn't sure exactly what you meant. Now I know.

-- Posted by Dug on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 2:16 PM

Dug, Soldiers, as patriots, will likely fire on Americans if ordered to. Insurrections are considered unpatriotic, as our ancestors were thought of by Britain.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 2:19 PM

I should have added that my ancestors who fought against the British were English.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 2:21 PM

Today, a revolution like the one that my ancestors fought in will not work. A peaceful revolution most likely would. Ideas are the weapon, not guns.

Ron Paul is leading a peaceful revolution, and it is working. He has been invited to college campuses speaking to overflowing assemblies. Why is his message so well received, he is smart and peaceful like Gandhi. He must have read Leonard E. Read's "Anything That's Peaceful".

The peaceful revolution of the sixties is still with us. It created more problems than it solved. It created a welfare/warfare state that enlarged government greater than anticipated. Although the revolution sought to eliminate poverty and warfare, it clearly increased both.

This peaceful revolution must be carried out without making enemies. Ideas must be shared without the usual confrontation.

I have been called a coward, and many other things too numerous to mention. What I'm doing now is learning how to be peaceful. It's not easy, warring is easy. I brought this up because there are issues that I share with many of you, and I would like these issues to be resolved, peacefully.

Back to my studies, maybe I will learn something.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 3:03 AM

Speech in New York on nullification http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/ar...

-- Posted by BCStoned on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 4:12 PM

The Canadians and Molon Lake http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/ar...

-- Posted by BCStoned on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 4:53 PM

A Missouri sheriff's letter to the president http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/ar...

-- Posted by BCStoned on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:32 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

Want to comment?

In order to participate in semissourian.com's forums, you must be a registered member of the site. Once registered and logged in, you can post comments to existing threads or post new threads of your own. Click below to register now (it's free!). If you're already registered, just start commenting and posting threads.