[SeMissourian.com] Fair ~ 65°F  
River stage: 25.31 ft. Falling
Tuesday, Oct. 21, 2014
Post reply Read replies (82) More threads Create thread

The Rusts received over $600,000 from St. Francis for advertising in 2011
Posted by J Purcell on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 1:40 PM:

This is a must read story

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/c...

Replies

Incredible article- The article states that St. Francis spent $130 per day per bed on advertising, Then the Ceo of St. Francis had the Gall to say that it didnt contribute to rising health care cost. Wow!

-- Posted by J Purcell on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 2:35 PM

It is the only thing that keeps the paper in print. Look at the Sunday edition. More ads than news. Name any other Sunday paper or daily for that matter you can read in 5 minutes and some days that is stretching it.

-- Posted by 3forone on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 3:52 PM

Good find Jay! Thanks for posting. I don't think the Rusts are fooling anybody. I heard Mike Smythe had a nice rant last night defending his biggest advertisers also.

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 6:21 PM

I don't complain about ads in the paper. Without them there would not be one. This is a hospital problem and not a hate the paper for accepting the money thing. One thing I don't like is Liberal St Louis yankees sticking their nose in Cape's Business.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 6:56 PM

Blame the source huh Regrets? Weak.

I don't blame the Rusts for taking the money either. What I do blame the Rusts for is their continuous propaganda campaigns that they run for their big advertisers: namely the Cape hospitals and the Republican Party, under the guise of unbiased journalism. In other words, cronyism is business as usual.

Ironically on the same day that the Post Dispatch ran their story, the Missourian ran another in an unending series of propaganda pieces regarding yet another hospital expansion.

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:19 PM

Regret:

If the St Louis paper doesn't bring this story to light, who does, the Missourian or Cash Book?

-- Posted by left turn on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:56 PM

I have to ask again. So the Rust's received $600,000 from St. Francis... where's the scandal??? Where is the news? Who cares?

I don't like the higher prices from the hospitals. I think it's too much and I think they're trying to pay off massive debts for building huge facilities to compete against each other.

I'm especially surprised that any libertarian - or "free market" person - would want to interfere in any way with the market. What do you want - government controls over hospital services? Is this WWLD?

Complain about the pricing? Sure. Go to St. Louis/Memphis/??? to avoid those prices? Sure. Complain about the paper for not reporting on a non-story? Crazy. There is no "there" there.

Where is the scandal here?

-- Posted by Dug on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:32 PM

Left turn

This was not new by all means. Cape has been known to have the highest medical care by far. But I don't blame the papers, sign companies, and TV for it.

I blame the hospitals for competing on every level of service.

I blame the consumers that have gone to these places and never ask about the cost or didn't care because either their insurance or the government were picking up the tab for it.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:44 PM

How about the commercial on TV , "I hate cancer!" ??

Like anyone loves cancer ?????

How much was spent on this trash ?

none of my business other then annoying and challenging any intelligence , if any , I may have...

-- Posted by .Rick Lately on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:46 PM

Exactly. This ad campaign was so bad it is one reason me or anyone in my family will never set foot in St. Francis. It made me sick to hear it.

-- Posted by 3forone on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 9:45 PM

The president of St. Francis stated in one interview there was no competition between the hospitals also. I call a BS on that one too. Look where they strategically placed their cancer center billboards. Right on the corner where to turn to go to the Southeast health Cancer center.

-- Posted by 3forone on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 9:49 PM

I agree. The "I Hate Cancer" campaign is pretty bad and they were told that by the public when it started.

That is what you receive when you have educated idiots that think they know what people in our area want to hear.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 10:16 PM

Dug,

Cronyism is not free market capitalism. I know it is difficult to see through your Republican Blinders, but when you start looking at things with an open mind it all starts to make sense as to why things are the the way they are.

The "government control over hospitals" is old and well established. The medical industry is the most regulated, and receives the most public money.

Invincible ignorance is an important cog in the machine.

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 3:55 AM

Really, this is what we have to worry about - too much health care. Two major regional hospitals, providing high level care, employing thousands and supporting city blocks of health care providers? Really? The Jay and Rick show is getting just a little old. High office wannabe's getting their names in the media nipping at the heels of those trying to accomplish good things. It's the economy, stupid!

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 6:07 AM

You cannot blame this newspaper for receiving over $600,000 from one of these hospitals regarding advertising. If you owned the newspaper and the hospital was one of your top advertisers would you write an article about there high cost, I don't think so if you would then you have committed business suicide. No doubt the cost is higher by going to either one of these two hospitals that is no secret but you cannot blame the businesses that have the hospitals as one of their customers.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 6:52 AM

Collusion is an agreement between two or more persons, sometimes illegal and therefore secretive, to limit open competition by deceiving, misleading, or defrauding others of their legal rights, or to obtain an objective forbidden by law typically by defrauding or gaining an unfair advantage.[citation needed] It is an agreement among firms to divide the market, set prices, or limit production.[1] It can involve "wage fixing, kickbacks, or misrepresenting the independence of the relationship between the colluding parties".[2] In legal terms, all acts affected by collusion are considered void.[3]

-- Posted by J Purcell on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 8:08 AM

Where to start with this?

First, please prove collusion. Did it ever enter your mind that the *competition* between the two hospitals has caused them to build elaborate neurological, cancer, emergency and surgery centers? Is the entire premise of your accusations based on "secretive" collusion?

And I'm really shocked that a professed libertarian is posting that intervention in the market must occur because of unsubstantiated cronyism? Between who? The CEO of St. Francis and the CEO of SE Health? That doesn't even make sense. Please take off the democrat blinders! I guess you could call Jay Nixon or Obama to look into these evil corporate entities.

It gets so tiring with all the conspiracy stuff...

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 8:18 AM

Definition of DELUSION

1: the act of deluding : the state of being deluded

2a : something that is falsely or delusively believed or propagated b : a persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary; also : the abnormal state marked by such beliefs

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 8:32 AM

Anytime the SL Post does a story involving a subject foremost political such as health care costs, I can't help but look for the liberal agenda behind it.

Shall we see if there is a call to tax monies spent on excessive advertising or some type of new laws next?

I remember when people were dieing to do business with funeral homes and they never advertised directly. Today pre-pricing of services are socially acceptable and one that takes advantage can save a few of the dollars to include in his children's taxable income upon his demise.

What once was referred to as family doctors were well informed and capable of recommending the best service and value regarding appropriate care when higher skilled better equipped sources were needed. Few family docs around anymore, but referral docs that refer within their own group.

Advertising is a good thing but only effective in price competition when people are spending their own money.

The evil insurance company is paying for it so I'll choose the one that promises the most and best on the big bil-board for routine repair.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 9:30 AM

IMO $130 a day per bed in advertising is beyond comprehension. WTF

-- Posted by left turn on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 10:00 AM

Wonder why the article didn't say anything about big city hospitals advertising cost per bed.

They could write a story stating people in Cape on welfare eat X number pounds of ice cream per household without stating any comparisons just as easy.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 10:07 AM

IMO $130 a day per bed in advertising is beyond comprehension. WTF -- Posted by left turn on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 10:00 AM

So your concern about this spending is

a) they are just throwing valuable money away - aka profits - just for the heck of it?

b) they are trying to convince you to come to their hospital instead of going to another hospital - aka marketing and competition?

c) it's Bush's fault or some libertarian conspiracy on collusion or price fixing with no proof.

Answer this - if the hospitals are price fixing and colluding why would they spend money on advertising?

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 11:18 AM

It appears some do not understand the conceptual difference between a for-profit and a not-for-profit.

The ultimate goal of a not-for-profit should be to reduce healthcare cost. Obviously, that is not what is taking place.

Insureds have enabled by not paying attention. Wake up people.

Regret stated "One thing I don't like is Liberal St Louis yankees sticking their nose in Cape's Business."

St Louis dispatch has a multiple state circulation and readership. They cover news from Tenn, Kansas, Iowa, Illinois and Kentucky. Why are you sticking your nose in a their business?

-- Posted by Alibaba on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 11:35 AM

The ultimate goal of a not-for-profit should be to reduce healthcare cost. -- Posted by bond008 on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 11:35 AM

I would hope their ultimate goal would be to provide quality health care service.

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 1:10 PM

Blogbudsmen thank you for the definition of Delusion.

You are correct given all the evidence of misdeeds that have come forth over the last few years you would have to be Delusional to not believe there is not Collusion going on. LOL!

I suspect you also believe Emersons story about getting her Job offer at the last minute. Lol!

-- Posted by J Purcell on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 2:22 PM

Letter to the editor

http://www.stltoday.com/news/opinion/mai...

-- Posted by J Purcell on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 2:28 PM

J - somehow, somewhere your link to a letter to the editor failed to mention anything about a scandal, price fixing or collusion - something you are accusing the local hospitals of. Where is this evidence you speak of? Or are you asking us to just "trust me"?

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 2:57 PM

A few lawyers should dive into the two local not-for-profit hospital 'articles'; specifically looking at board members' disclosure requirements and conflict of interest.

-- Posted by chocolate thread on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 3:00 PM

Dug, *sigh* Try to keep up. The collusion Purcell is hinting at is between the media and the hospital, as several newspaper owners sit on St. Francis board. Feel free to inform yourself before commenting further. There are two Dispatch articles tagged on the 'letter to the editor' page also.

-- Posted by chocolate thread on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 3:07 PM

There is a history of the local media covering up stories

.http://youtu.be/GwPx2d3DXzU?t=1m4s

To watch evidence of an actual recording of a city council meeting and to not believe there is collusion and corruption in this county is Delusional in my opinion.

-- Posted by J Purcell on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 3:13 PM

Listen to you. Sad really. Carry on, the world needs small and petty people too.

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 3:14 PM

Sorry, link didnt make it, skip the first minute since it is not related.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwPx2d3DX...

Thanks! Jay

-- Posted by J Purcell on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 3:15 PM

St. Louis dispatch has broken St. Francis advertising budget dollars down to $130 per day, per hospital bed. That is obsurd!

Most of which was doled out to their very own board members who happen to be local media refusing to report they themselves are part of the reason Cape Girardeau's healthcare cost is soaring. Drury bill boards, Missourian (the big winner) and the Cash Book journal, owners all sit on St. Francis board.

-- Posted by Alibaba on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 3:23 PM

Feel free to inform yourself before commenting further. There are two Dispatch articles tagged on the 'letter to the editor' page also. -- Posted by capiche on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 3:07 PM

Feel free to educate yourself on this salient point - a newspaper that doesn't report on a non-story is not collusion. Do you even know what the word means? Did you know that there is a difference between the price of a hamburger at Steak-n-Shake and McDonald's - yet you don't cry collusion because the SE Missourian didn't report it?

This makes as much sense as that. Illegal collusion is coordinated price fixing/setting between supposed competitors in a market. Prove that and you've got a story and a supporter in your collusion theory. Otherwise your complaints make as much sense as the difference in price between hamburgers. Go somewhere else if you don't like it but don't insinuate criminal activity where you have zero proof. I don't work at the hospitals I don't know anyone at the SE Missourian. I just think the hysteria is manufactured. As I've said before I don't like the higher medical prices and think it's ridiculous. But it's not illegal or "collusion".

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 3:39 PM

Dug, I understand your point. I think collusion in this case is a distraction. The two hospitals compete for market share just as the hamburger sellers do. Nothing wrong with that concept IMO. I did a little digging with my extremely dull shovel and find that the cost of advertising stated is not all that out of line with other hospitals.

I think what stands out to most folks unfair detectors is the concept of "non-profit". The term to me indicates an operation to fill a need where for profit entities have little or no incentive to enter the field.

In the case of so many non-profits they start out with grand intentions and end up a device to maintain a few choice people in wealth and status.

Jay, I'm not a close follower of Cape Girardeau politics but do remember several times further back when common sense successful people in the city offered reasonable solutions and were ridiculed. Because they were suscessful it seemed to me city official ridiculed their ideas implying there was some hidden motive of self benefit.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 5:02 PM

The hospitals are not-for-profits, rather than non-profits. There is a difference.

-- Posted by improvisational on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 5:33 PM

Oh Lord, Wheels, I thought I had you blocked, but you popped up again, LOL

-- Posted by left turn on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 5:45 PM

Just proves you are never to old to learn.

-- Posted by left turn on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 5:51 PM

Those who read both articles, would understand the $130 per bed, per day was based on total advertising dollars spent; rather than just the stated Rust's portion of advertising dollars ($600,000).

-- Posted by improvisational on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 5:52 PM

"St. Francis spent about $11.5 million on "advertising and promotion" in fiscal year 2011."

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/c...

-- Posted by improvisational on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 5:57 PM

I think this is more about newspaper competition and sour grapes. The other papers have a word for them. The Rust Belt.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 7:43 PM

There is not for profit, private for profit and government funded. Which one do you reckon the Post Dispatch and the majority of their St. Louis supporters endorse?

My friend went to the ER for a severe head ache and vomiting. Less than 3 hours including wait time, over $4,000 and no diagnosis, no remedy not even a real suggestion. She did tell me that morphine is good stuff. Now she has another head ache without insurance and wages just enough to keep her in college.

She asked what to do, I said don't ignore the bill but be up front and tell them your situation. Most likely they will reduce the bill and accept meager monthly payments.

Too bad she ain't pregnant, jobless and on welfare for then it wouldn't be another head ache.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 10:10 PM

Rick, Other than that of a grand daughter's or niece's, the respect and friendship of a teenage friend these days is maybe one of the most rewarding and satisfying things an old guy can hope for. Nothing like a little sister when you're the youngest in a big family.

And yes, there are a lot of young folks that "get it". Seems the ones we see and hear most are the ones that make us wonder were the country is headed.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 10:47 PM

I cut a finger around 10PM on a Saturday and had to go to the ER. When I got there the place had a lot of people that didn't seem hurt or sick. I ended up getting in first and was taken care of by a doc I know. I asked him about it and he told me that was the pain pill crew that we pay for. He said they know exactly what to do and say to get them. I could see he was frustrated so we talked about fishing instead.

A dentist in Sikeston said when he quit taking medicaid the patients dropped by 15% but the prescriptions dropped by 75%. He said if they were on the card you could almost guarantee they wanted drugs. He said the other thing is he got tired of seeing meth mouth.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 8:38 AM

One of the top items on the agenda for this year is fine tuning The Affordable Health Care Act prior to January 1, 2014. This is what should be one of the main topics right now. Many businesses are already reducing the workforce down to 30 or less hours per week more of this is coming if this law is not fined tuned. Many businesses cannot afford this monster in it's current form we will put businesses out of business and when that happens the unemployment lines even get longer and longer. Now were going to be tied up with gun control, immigration for the next 6-9 months when we should be placing our main focus on how we can fine tune the Health Care Act where it will not shut down small businesses. I know a very large company that has already put the word out if this thing is not dealt with in a proper common sense fashion they will reduce all of there full time employees down to 30 or less hours a week. Here we are less than a year away and Congress and the White House haven't said a word about it, but you here about it if you run a business.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 4:44 PM

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 4:44 PM

It is about labor costs but the left has an idea its about hourly wages.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:45 PM

Did you ever wonder how a big paper shredder truck could be justified as a profitable business?

All routine medical correspondence between care facility, Dr, Pharmacy etc must be destroyed. Employees of the clinic or hospital are not allowed to do it, so the creation of an outside service.

Kind of in line with the overcomplicated OSHA complience that causes companies to hire an outside agency to cover their rear. Also Hazmat regulation requires big companies to hire outside people to keep up with all that red tape and it is easier to pay more for products from the fewest vendors than to shop for supplies cost wise.

Each time government solves one problem they create several more.

I suspect next, many companies will require hiring another outside agency to keep up with the new rules of the health care laws.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 10:38 AM

Right now they are too busy trying to figure a way to put the chips in your guns.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 11:42 AM

They won't chip the guns. They will chip the ammo.

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 12:15 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

Want to comment?

In order to participate in semissourian.com's forums, you must be a registered member of the site. Once registered and logged in, you can post comments to existing threads or post new threads of your own. Click below to register now (it's free!). If you're already registered, just start commenting and posting threads.