[SeMissourian.com] Fair ~ 44°F  
River stage: 22.92 ft. Falling
Wednesday, Apr. 23, 2014
Post reply Read replies (89) More threads Create thread

Oklahoma has the right Idea.
Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 9:31 PM:

I should be hearing the liberals saying, "well, why don't you move there" soon. First I want to say thanks for your vote for Romney first and second Ill just stick around here and watch it happen.

http://conservativetickler.wordpress.com...

Replies

Of course Oklahoma is a "sovereign" state. They have their own license plates, their own tax code, their own governor, their own constitution, their own legislative body, their own universities, their own speed limits, their own capital, their own state bird, their own highway system, and so on.

What is the big deal about that?

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 9:03 AM

Other than Montana and Utah, notice where these other states are located.

-- Posted by left turn on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 9:13 AM

"...Federal Law trumps State Law."

It certainly does so is Oklahoma tilting at windmills? Yes is the obvious answer.

Furthermore, check the following...

"Article. VI.

All Debts contracted and Engagements entered into, before the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

In simple terms, all of the Oklahoma State officials are bound by oath to the Constitution of the United States, not the Articles of Confederation, nor the constitution of Oklahoma, nor any fictitious constitution they have made up.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 9:38 AM

I'm glad that Oklahoma recognizes that government and god are the same thing by placing the ten commandments at the state capital.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 9:57 AM

.Rick Lately: They have joined the church of progressive liberals, but use symbolism to claim a different god, "from the book of political rhetoric".

-- Posted by BCStoned on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 12:07 PM

Rick: Not a problem it's a pattern. If you can't see that then I will agree with you that you are as dumb as a box of rocks.

-- Posted by left turn on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 1:24 PM

And if you can't see that pattern of crime, welfare and debt run by liberal democrats in the East and California then you would also be dumb as a box of rocks.

The south? Lower taxes and lower unemployment. Auto industry moving South. Right to work states. Much more control by conservatives/republicans in state legislatures and governorships. Hmmm....

-- Posted by Dug on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 2:29 PM

Some states [or colonies] had those fictitious contitutions before the federal government one existed.

The constitutions required of the territories to join the union were ficticious or did the federal constitution render all fictitious?

I don't remember the exact words but there is something in the federal constituion about powers not enumerated belonging to the states.

Oklahoma is reclaiming those.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 5:54 PM

From a guy that voted for Obama and believes in the practice of having government to take care of you from cradle to grave.

Its a shame we have to take care of those too lazy to take care of themselves.

" nor any fictitious constitution they have made up"

Is it that simple to you common? The funny thing is I think they just flipped the libs (including you) and Obama the bird.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 6:21 PM

"Obviously you are 100% pro-Government which is your right."

Another case of seeing only in "black and white" when the world and our country is almost 100% shades of gray.

Clearly I support a Constitutionally established national government in which powers are shared by a federal government, state governments and the people. In that sense, I am "pro-government" but...

I think recipients of Social Security and Medicare should contribute more in the form of deductions, co-pays, eligibility ages, benefit percentages, etc. to maintain those programs viable in their current form.

I feel that the federal government could easily reduce wages and salaries by 10% immediately across the board, and the number of federal employees be reduced by 10% by attrition.

I think that periodically (as a minimum every 10 years) all government agencies should have to use a zero-based method to completely justify their staff numbers and budgets and responsibilities. This would automatically entail a review of all regulations for effectiveness and necessity.

I believe that the government should get out and stay out of social issues such as abortion and marriage.

I want the government to get out of the business of subsidizing industries that are clearly self-sufficient, while at the same time promoting small-business and energy initiatives.

I think the government must simplify and rationalize the tax code to progressive rates with a minimum of deductions and exceptions. Loopholes created over time should be completely eliminated.

(To be continued)

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 8:29 AM

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 8:29 AM

This is good news. If you can come around to more conservative views of smaller and more efficient government then maybe other liberals can be enlightened as well.

Unfortunately Obama is at odds with you.

-- Posted by Dug on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 9:13 AM

None I no of are evil. I think they are misguided and happy to spend my money for their needs.

A good warrior is one that is fighting for a good cause. Otherwise... :-)

-- Posted by Dug on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 9:33 AM

I'm glad that Oklahoma recognizes that government and god are the same thing by placing the ten commandments at the state capital.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 9:57 AM

Wow you had to reach way out there to gather that "thought." I use the term thought loosely.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 10:48 AM

Mowrangler, It just shows that Oklahoma has the same god as the ancient Romans, government. Worshiping earthly gods is not all that uncommon. Some people even worship political parties.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 11:51 AM

Not a problem it's a pattern. -- Posted by left turn on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 1:24 PM

As I posted above and you never addressed - the South is in better employment and economic success than your liberal run democrat states. A news story today on Texas points out that they CUT their taxes and CUT their spending and guess what? They have an $8.8 BILLION surplus.

Conservative, republican policies DO work when you don't have liberal clowns like Obama, Pelosi and Reid to gum up the works. The story:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-07...

-- Posted by Dug on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 12:45 PM

-- Posted by Dug on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 12:45 PM

Dug,

Those evil people in Texas must be punished. Their surplus should be taken from them and distributed to Illinois, New York and California to p**s away on their excesses.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 1:25 PM

Continuation:

I feel strongly that welfare benefits must be tied to some type of work or service. Furthermore, once an individual is accepted, no increases will be made for additional children. After some set period of time, benefits will begin to decrease.

I think that all increases in tax revenue and savings by spending reductions must go toward reducing the deficit.

I believe that public lands be preserved for the future and not be made available for private exploitation.

I recognize that safety, environmental, industrial, and administrative regulations are essential to the welfare of the nation, and their logical, rational application is necessary.

I want government to keep off of private property to the extent possible unless there are overwhelming considerations to protect the general public or natural resources.

I feel that the government has a legal obligation to keep dangerous weapons out of non-military hands.

I believe that the government should keep out of sports, entertainment and social controversies.

I think that any legal "lobbyists" should be restricted to physically working only in the home state of the US Senators and Representatives.

I believe that term limits should be established for US Congressmen and women, and similar restrictions should be placed on their staff members, and no one that has served in public office can become a lobbyist.

- - - - - - - - -

So, I am not 100% "pro-government." I am for right sized government working in a reasonable, financially sound and transparent, understandable fashion. I am not frightened of government and believe it is and will continue to be under control.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 2:20 PM

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/05/oklahom...

-- Posted by Dugtard on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 2:29 PM

"Oklahoma has the right Idea."

Oklahoma receives $1.36 in federal funds for every tax dollar it pays in to the federal government.

No wonder they are so happy...

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 2:39 PM

-- Posted by Spaniard on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 2:29 PM

Great link. Pretty much backed up everything the email said with a few slight errors.

-- Posted by Dug on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 2:44 PM

Some believe ancient Romans "God"s were exterestrial beings from the skies who taught them advanced knowledges never known .

Some people even believe in a God called Mother Earth who teaches the same things. Hmmmmmmm

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 3:01 PM

"Great link." Pretty much backed up nothing the e-mail said with a few slight errors."

Read more carefully...

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 3:11 PM

Pretty much backed up nothing. Read more carefully... -- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 3:11 PM

From the link:

"the underlying theme, that Oklahoma is passing laws that Democrats in Washington might not like, is true"

"It's true that in April, the Oklahoma Senate passed a bill (HB 1330) by a vote of 37 to 9... Gov. Brad Henry did sign the final legislation into law on May 18"

"That law makes it a felony for anyone to transport or to "conceal, harbor, or shelter from detection any alien ... knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that the alien has come to, entered, or remained in the United States in violation of law."

"The Oklahoma Legislature passed a joint resolution reasserting the state's sovereignty under the 10th Amendment and declaring that the federal government should "cease and desist, effective immediately, mandates that are beyond the scope of these constitutionally delegated powers."

"The last item in the e-mail may refer to a February appeals court decision upholding an Oklahoma law that says employers must permit employees to keep guns in their locked cars at work if they wish."

I read very carefully and posted these notes directly from Spaniards link which pretty much backed up everything the email said with a few slight errors. Are you arguing with Spaniard and his link now?

-- Posted by Dug on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 4:43 PM

.Rick lately, Progressive liberals want government involved in every aspect of a person's life. Even in something as personal as religion.

If you want power, invoke the power of a belief in god. This makes for complete control of the individual.

In Oklahoma, the progressive liberals must be in charge.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 6:12 PM

The annotated Sioux 10 Commandments

1. Treat Mother Earth and all that dwell upon her respect. Incorporate environmental protection and pollution abatement into business and value your neighbors no matter who they might be.

2. Remain close to the Great Spirit. One nation under God.

3. Show great respect for your fellow beings. Involves supporting equal opportunity for all.

4. Work together for the benefit of all humankind. Provide international aid and support the UN.

5. Give assistance and kindness where-ever needed. Provide minimum welfare benefits to those in need.

6. Do what you know to be right. The right course of action is almost always one of moderation and avoids extremes.

7. Look after the well being of mind and body. Support the Affordable Care Act, Medicare and Medicaid.

8. Dedicate a share of your efforts to the greater good. Understand the necessity for a rational tax code.

9. Be truthful and honest at all times. Pay little attention to politicians and promote campaign finance reform.

10. Take full responsibility for your actions. Plan for your future to allow social security to continue to operate for the general good.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 5:00 AM

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 5:00 AM

Wow. Very telling that Rick posted what appear to be 10 commandments of the Sioux people and you move them from commandments of *personal* responsibility to commandments of government responsibility.

Looks like your enlightenment of smaller government and more personal responsibility lasted just 24 hours?

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 9:01 AM

"The Sioux 10 commandments"

All of them make perfect sense and they are totally consistent with liberal democratic policies, standards, beliefs and philosophies.

Provides good explanation of why the Sioux in South Dakota voted overwhelmingly for President Obama (for example 93.4% of votes in Shannon County). Looks like they are following their commandments.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 9:31 AM

Looks like they are following their commandments. -- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 9:31 AM

Since Obama has lied to the Sioux and not followed through on his campaign promise I'd say they are voting with their pocket books. But I'll leave that interpretation up to Rick.

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 9:38 AM

My set of 10 Commandments has one that says very simply "Thou Shalt Not Steal"

Now Common spin that into it is Ok to legalize stealing from the producers to give to the takers.

Liberal Democrats think it is OK to spin anything to suit their purposes. And that is all Common was doing with Rick's set of Commandments. The Commandments are the law of God, if you believe in him. God needs no help in rewriting the 10 Commandments from Liberal Democrats or anyone else.

And Liberals will in time be as popular as the Whigs and the No Nothings and a few more obsolute political parties.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 10:29 AM

Now I am getting like Theorist, having trouble with words that sound alike but are not.

Not sure what they called the party but correctly it would be 'Know Nothings'.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 10:49 AM

Rick,

You are in South Dakota now???

Have a great "Sit-down"!

It has to be cold there... don't freeze off anything important.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 11:25 AM

"...PC37 are not allowed to vote in any election..."

Not allowed by whom? The South Dakota Secretary of State accepts tribal identification as valid to register to vote. If members choose not to vote, they have that priviledge.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 11:57 AM

There is a need to show identification to vote. It does follow that it can only be a government issued photo ID.

The question remains...

"Not allowed by whom?"

Is the Federal Government preventing tribal members from voting?

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 12:38 PM

"...difference of 2 different Nations..."

Canada is a sovereign country.

Canada is separate from the US.

Canadians cannot vote in the US.

Canadians do not have to pay taxes in the US.

-------------------------

The Sioux nation is inside of the United States.

The Sioux nation is sovereign in name for certain privileges.

Sioux can vote in US elections.

The Sioux pay taxes like everyone else depending on their income. (per several web sites... "American Indians pay federal taxes on their income and capital gains, just as any other American does.")

The Sioux nation and Canada are not the same type of "sovereign" nation.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 2:36 PM

Yes , in preperation of the Winter sit-down .

The clear and fresh air are a Gift ..

-- Posted by .Rick Lately on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 12:50 PM

Rick,

Are there going to be discussions about what is to be done with "Eagle Who Walks"?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 2:43 PM

The Elders are correct , some talk just to hear their own words .

-- Posted by .Rick Lately on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 3:21 PM

Rick,

My Dad said it a little different. He always said, "Some people like to talk just to hear their head rattle."

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 3:37 PM

An Eagle is powerfull , proud , and free ...it does not fit..

-- Posted by .Rick Lately on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 3:53 PM

True Rick, except the one I was thkinking of was too full of shat to fly.

Maybe 'Vulture Who Walks' would be a better fit. I though of 'Crow Who Walks' but that would be an insult to a whole Native American Nation. (I guess 'Nation' fits, I am kind of ignorant about the correct terminology between Nation, Tribe, etc.)

Seriously... good luck at your "Sit-Down", and I hope lots of good things come from it.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 7:35 PM

-- Posted by .Rick Lately on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 8:30 PM

Rick,

Rest assured I am getting no inner peace from the so called Elders that we are sending to Washington DC.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 9:34 PM

Rick,

That guy is as full of s**t as a Christmas Goose. Only 86 fraudulent votes in the country is lucicrous at best. If voter fraud was really taken seriously you would find much more. It exists in both major political parties.

And so far as the Granny in Tennessee not being able to vote any way possible.... I do not believe him.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:00 AM

"lucicrous"

The spelling police are coming.

'ludicrous' I think would be more like it.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:02 AM

I nveer nocite floks spleling miskates much tlil atfer tehy piont'm out.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 12:43 PM

Wheels

That video was on the HBO series The Newsroom. Another leftist production.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 5:27 PM

Now Rick Lately, I wish you would stop writing in Polish. Can't speak or write it. A little Russian and some Germany maybe, but no Polish.

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 3:53 PM

Rick, That guy in your 5:32 is a good actor to remember and spout all that off so smoothly.

George Carlin reminds me of Dennis Miller with his gift of gab and both are funny but I don't put much stock in the political interpretations of comedians.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 12:31 AM

The neoconservative police state is not appealing to me. Hopefully, people will tire of the militarism of what was once a fairly free nation, and return to a more normal state.

It is not videos and movies that are driving some children over the edge, but the celebrated militarization of the country.

9/11 just provided the excuse for the neoconservative progressives to turn this nation into a police state. Churches and media aided in this nation's destruction of freedom.

Freedom is being lost due to the militarization of society.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:29 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

Want to comment?

In order to participate in semissourian.com's forums, you must be a registered member of the site. Once registered and logged in, you can post comments to existing threads or post new threads of your own. Click below to register now (it's free!). If you're already registered, just start commenting and posting threads.