• Friendo: Must be a tea-bagger.

READY...FIRE...AIM.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 9:05 AM
  • WOW! What a crazy story.

-- Posted by Turnip on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 9:12 AM
  • We must register all tire irons!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 11:01 AM
  • Wheels,

And do we follow up and register all priests?

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 11:46 AM
  • Wheels,

No, not all Priests... only Greek Orthodox Priests.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 11:50 AM
  • Oh good, Wheels, then Anglican and Roman priests are safe, then!

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 1:04 PM
  • Oh good, Wheels, then Anglican and Roman priests are safe, then!

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 1:04 PM

For the short term anyway.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 1:10 PM
  • Oh OH, see a problem coming over the horizon!

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 1:18 PM
  • Voyager,

How could a well thought out plan encounter problems?

We aren't going to have to show proof on the tire irons or the Priests are we?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 1:23 PM
  • Well, ya better be prepared to do so if you have the misfortune to encounter Ike!

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 1:27 PM
  • Now Wiff, why would any sane and sensible person do that?

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 1:29 PM
  • Voyager,

In a couple of months, I will be going South to Gulf Shores, AL. They have a beautiful Greek Ortodox church in a little town called Malbus, not far from Gulf Shores, named after Jacob Malbus, who settled with a group of Greek immigrants at this location and built this really fantastic building.

I will visit this Church again and meditate over this problem.

PS: All of the BS to the contrary, I truly hope the Reverend wasn't badly hurt, and that the young Marine gets sone understanding for his part in the meeting gone wrong. I think this was merely a terrible misinterpretation of an otherwise innocent encounter.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 1:38 PM
  • All tire irons now must be registered. You may buy one only after a FBI back ground check and a 7 day waiting period. Not to mention having your information keep on file at the local sheriff's dept.

All US servicemen and women must wear signs warning the public to stay back and to approach at their own risk (the sign must be in mulitpul languages for those who can not understand english). Plus they must carry extra insuarnace.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 1:42 PM
  • Terrible misinterpretation....lol. The marine is standing by his story. No apologies.

-- Posted by Turnip on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 1:54 PM
  • must wear signs warning the public to stay back

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 1:42 PM

How far back would that be... and how large must the letters be in the signs on service people?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 2:00 PM
  • Wheels,

Many priests do have to register....

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 2:20 PM
  • Airborne, confound you anyway with that post. After about 5 minutes I was finally able to pull myself up from the floor and recover my breath from gales of laughter! That'n were a good'n!

and dang you, Wheels, you didn't help matters any. You just had to go and chime in!

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 2:21 PM
  • Wheels, I'm sure there are gov. reg's about how big wanring labels have to be.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 2:24 PM
  • Voyager, I hope you recover and can keep on, keeping on.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 2:25 PM
  • Many priests do have to register....

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 2:20 PM

Lumber,

Do you mean as sexual predators?

Voyager,

You are going to have to learn to control yourself. You wouldn't be worth a crap on a stakeout watching for offending service people without signs. You would scare them all off with your laughing!

Airborne,

Would we be out of line to ask you to er, how should I say this, ahhhhh, oh hell can you show proof they have to wear those signs?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 2:31 PM
  • Well, Wheels, there are those who would agree with you that I'm not worth a crap, but there ya have it...........

After all, I'm just a country cousin come to town on the egg money.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 2:56 PM
  • Voyagers,

Always got to watch when these farmers come to town I been told.

You might work out though if you can learn to control your laughing.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 3:00 PM
  • Wheels, I'm not sure how it works these days but, back when I was in everyone went thru a basic combat course. It did not matter if you were a cook, MP, grunt or whatever.

So everyone was a big, green, killing machine.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 3:31 PM
  • Airborne,

Perfectly understandable. You were trained to be combat ready at all times. I think that is what happened to the young Marine. It appeared to be a threatening situation and he reacted to it as trained.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 3:39 PM
  • Airborne,

Perfectly understandable. You were trained to be combat ready at all times. I think that is what happened to the young Marine. It appeared to be a threatening situation and he reacted to it as trained.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 3:39 PM

He did not just react. He overreacted.

My grandpa was in WWII and saw some seriously bad stuff. When I was little, grandma would constantly remind me not to startle, or surprise him when he was taking a nap. Even in his 70's he would still have bad dreams. It was particularly bad when he had dementia.

But never was he trained to attack somebody with a tire iron on the street because the potentially could be threatening.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 4:52 PM
  • The guy has never been deployed. He had a previous incident with battery. He claims a Greek man was yelling "Allah akbar" at him. And he pimps human growth hormone for a living. N-U-T J-O-B.

-- Posted by FriendO on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 4:59 PM
  • He did not just react. He overreacted.

My grandpa was in WWII and saw some seriously bad stuff. When I was little, grandma would constantly remind me not to startle, or surprise him when he was taking a nap. Even in his 70's he would still have bad dreams. It was particularly bad when he had dementia.

But never was he trained to attack somebody with a tire iron on the street because the potentially could be threatening.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 4:52 PM

Lumber,

Sometimes you confuse me. On the one hand you state the guy overreacted and then you state never startle or surprise Grandpa while taking a nap because he was a trained soldier. Why do you suppose that was. Grandpa was trained as a soldier to react. Nothing wrong with that, it may have made it possible for Grandpa to survive

This guy is bent over in the trunk and he is startled, you have no idea what went through his mind. What happened was truly unfortunate, but I wouldn't judge this kid too quickly.

Your Grandpa and other soldiers were trained to protect themselves with whatever they could get their hands on, and tire irons were not excluded albeit maybe not specifically part of the training manual.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 5:55 PM
  • If our military personnel are overreacting because of their training, then said training must be too violent and we should seek out a more passive program. Perhaps we could enlist the help of the French in this matter.

-- Posted by non-biasedphilosopher on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 11:00 PM
  • non-biasedphilosopher, LOL!

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 7:18 AM
  • Lumber,

Sometimes you confuse me. On the one hand you state the guy overreacted and then you state never startle or surprise Grandpa while taking a nap because he was a trained soldier. Why do you suppose that was. Grandpa was trained as a soldier to react. Nothing wrong with that, it may have made it possible for Grandpa to survive

This guy is bent over in the trunk and he is startled, you have no idea what went through his mind. What happened was truly unfortunate, but I wouldn't judge this kid too quickly.

Your Grandpa and other soldiers were trained to protect themselves with whatever they could get their hands on, and tire irons were not excluded albeit maybe not specifically part of the training manual.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 11, 2009, at 5:55 PM

You honostly can't see the difference between startling somebody when sleeping...and a guy attacking somebody with a tire iron.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 8:24 AM
  • "The guy has never been deployed. He had a previous incident with battery. He claims a Greek man was yelling "Allah akbar" at him. And he pimps human growth hormone for a living. N-U-T J-O-B."-- Posted by FriendO

Does that human growth hormone grow the brain and improve thinking? If so, please send an ample supply because I've got a ready market that could stand to pop those pills like popcorn! Might not hurt me neither to pop one or two from time to time..

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 8:49 AM
  • That could be perceived as a threat. I am contacting the missourian staff.

-- Posted by Ike on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 10:40 AM

Ike,

Settle down, how could you make a threat out of what he said.

Remember the old saying.... Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 11:33 AM
  • Lumber,

Startle Grandpa while sleeping, or startle this guy while he has his head in the trunk, I really think turning around and seeing a man in strange garb wearing sandles after he has just tapped you on the shoulder might cause as much of a reaction as you could have gotten out of Grandpa.

I had 7 uncles, including those by marriage in WW II and I am well aware of the effects of war.

But you and FriendO have already convicted the Marine, so we will just leave it at that.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 11:46 AM
  • Wheels, Ike does not understand civilized discourse. Doesn't seem to understand humor either. Uhg!

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 4:54 PM
  • I guess that since I wear a beard AND a robe to get the mail on Saturday morning sometimes I can expect, and should be grateful for somebody bashing me over the head due to my "Middle East garb".

That's the old rapist defense saying that she had it coming because she was dressed like a tramp.

This story kinda reminded me of the Sarah Silverman Show episode where she keeps running over multiple Osama's.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 6:48 PM
  • Wiff,

Don't you thimk maybe the poor lad is in need of an exorcism? So many Left Wingers seem to be so bedeviled these days.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 10:07 PM
  • Voyager,

If you are starting a fund to hire someone to perform the exorcism, I could make a small pledge.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 10:22 PM
  • Nice to know Wheels.

-- Posted by Pups on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 8:42 PM
  • Just a small one Pups, wouldn't spend your money foolishly, but try to help when I can. :-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 8:52 PM
  • No worries Wheels. Won't be my money after the exorcism. I'll just go on disability. Finally a vacation. Thanks guys.

-- Posted by Pups on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 9:02 PM
  • Pups,

Less I am mistaken The subject sure wasn't you. I believe Voyager was referring to Ike.

No vacation for you!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 9:30 PM
  • And I don't even get a porkchop! Oh poor me.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 10:26 PM
  • Wheels,

Thought voyager's statement was for all Left Wingers??

voyager,

Thought we made sure you were on my list awhile ago. Mr Wiffle's must have just forgot. But since Mr Wiffle won't let me have that third job, I might have to let someone go though.

-- Posted by Pups on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 10:43 PM
  • Wheels,

Thought voyager's statement was for all Left Wingers??

Don't you thimk maybe the poor lad is in need of an exorcism? So many Left Wingers seem to be so bedeviled these days.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 10:07 PM

Pups,

Not all inclusive. He said some and specifically mentioned a poor lad, who I took to be Ike.

Seriously, though, I know your views lean to the left, but not to the point that we cannot have a discussion. Would certainly not want to step on your toes with some of my comments which many times are tongue in cheek. Don't look on them as aimed at people such as yourself, they are not.

Can we still count on you if we let you go ahead with vacations, so long as you don't take them for all three jobs at the same time. Our check might bounce. :-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 11:04 PM
  • Wheels,

Sometimes the broad statements just seem pointed, even if not at me specifically. My nature I guess.

As for vacation from all 3 jobs..... couldn't get the third job. Something about the boss being a 'jerk to work for'. (sorry Mr W.)

Was looking at my check from job #1 and #2 today and from what I can see so far of what I'm paying in, I think you all are ok for now. :)

-- Posted by Pups on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 11:40 PM
  • Pups, you have a good one. I can rest easy now and I said I was going to bed an hour ago. I really mean it this time.

Good night!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 12:02 AM
  • Good night.

-- Posted by Pups on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 12:08 AM
  • Good morning. Was looking at my bank statement. The day turned gloomy. Then was listening about Obama Asian trip. Even gloomier.

A friend called and was crying about having to go back to work because he was moving into deficet territory. All I could think to tell him was not to worry about it, the government did that all the time.

So the day was started.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 11:43 AM
  • From Wheels ... "... I know your views lean to the left, but not to the point that we cannot have a discussion. Would certainly not want to step on your toes with some of my comments which many times are tongue in cheek. Don't look on them as aimed at people such as yourself, they are not."

Same here ... I respect and admire Pups ... he is one of few who actually can and will debate 'politics' reasonably and intelligently and diplomatically, even when he disagrees with someone else's position.

Now if he could teach us all how to do that ... ~laughing~

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 5:21 PM
  • All this second and third jobs thing. How can anyone jackhammer them into a 24 hour period. Isn't at least a little sleep needed. Or is that something to do on the job?

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 8:49 AM
  • Voyager,

Pups doen't need any sleep. He has a mission to fulfill. That would be to keep working so Mom, Me, Maybe you, and Wiff when he retires can keep cashing our checks.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 10:34 AM
  • Oh, I see, Rick, but I'm not sure what I see if I see at all. It ain't easy for me to keep up with y'all.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 11:51 AM
  • voyager,

Second job is only a part time. I work 60 hours a week. On the days I work both, there is at least 8-10 hours for sleep. I usually get 4-6 a night depending on day with maybe a nap between jobs. I DO NOT sleep at work. I may go online, but I do not sleep. Would get me fired at both jobs and then where would everyone be????

-- Posted by Pups on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 10:50 PM
  • Pups,

I would say you are a good sport to pur up with us old farts!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 11:02 PM
  • Wheels,

Not always a good sport, but working on it. I figure one of these days I'm gonna be on of them thar old farts. :)

-- Posted by Pups on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 11:38 PM
  • Ah Pups,

You have a lot of good years left in you. Remember we're all counting on you.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Nov 16, 2009, at 7:33 AM

Respond to this thread