Hey, That's for poor people!

Posted by Old John on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 7:43 PM:

I recently purchased a couple of like new shirts from the local Salvation Army store.

A friend told me that those one dollar like new shirts were offered as a service to poor people and I should be ashamed since she thinks I should be able to pay $30 for the same shirt new.

I felt I was doing the poor people a service by shopping there and since it was such a good deal I stuffed a little extra in the miniature red collection kettle on the counter.

What do you think, am I an extreme tight wad or a good guy for supporting the store?

Replies

• I'd guess that the clothing the Salvation Army sells is donated. Therefore when you purchase something the money just goes back into supporting their various programs.

-- Posted by riregrist on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:06 PM

I buy stuff from SA and Goodwill a lot.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:21 PM

No, Old John, you're just someone with practical sense who acted accordingly.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:23 PM

"What do you think, am I an extreme tight wad or a good guy for supporting the store?"

Old John,

We got to put a little more thought into this. Once while Theorist was examining my conscience, she wanted to know if something was "Need", "Greed" or did I have "Pure Intentions".

Now if you was Catholic, I think you would be assigned some Hail Marys and throw in the Lord's Prayer a couple of times as well.

Beings you're not, you will just have to assign your own penance I suppose.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 10:41 PM
  • Every thrift store I've known exists primarily to raise money for their organization. The more people buying their merchandise the better off they are. Now if you would have showed up at the Salvation Army free coat giveaway when you had plenty of resources to buy a closet full of nice coats that would have been being an extreme tightwad.

Personally I've never found much at the local Salvation Army or Goodwill stores. The Safe House & Teen Challenge thrift stores seem to always offer a much better value for my money (even with TC significant marking up prices over the last year or two). I hit those two every other week or so and almost treat them as a kids clothes rental service. $10-$20 gets me a big armload of nice kids clothes and then when my kid outgrows them I donate them back for some other family to use for a while.

-- Posted by Nil on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 10:53 PM

I have used the Habitat for Humanity home improvement store several times. Lots of good bargains.

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 5:01 AM
  • I agree Rick. I bought a nice side by side refrigerator with an ice maker and door dispenser at the Restore for $200 last year.

-- Posted by riregrist on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 5:42 AM
  • Have you sought and accepted freebies such as food bank, free coats, reduced prescriptions from the manufacturers, when you could pay for the items? If so, you would be a greedy low life jerk for pilferaging resources that are intended for those who are truly needy.

-- Posted by survivalist on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 6:57 AM
  • I patronize the thrift stores by both donating items and shopping there. I do not feel I am taking away from the needy by shopping there. I am contributing to the net profit which helps support their cause. I feel Teen Challenge is especially well run, the people are especially nice, and find the service they provide to those who go through their program benefits everyone.

-- Posted by whoknows? on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 9:11 AM

I would like to see a report on how many children lived in poverty in SEMO area in 1932 thru 1942 and a follow up on what happened to these 'poverty stricken' children.

Personally I think you will find they became a determined lot to pull themselves out of the rut they were in and become self sufficient.

Poverty is not necessarily the worst thing that can happen to a child growing up. It can build a very strong character.

Of course the problem we have today in this country is 'obese poor kids', Now here is a situation to be pitied. They are being groomed into being America's next generation of "Takers". I am serious.... I feel sorry for them, a kick in the pants for them and their parents both could be a good start on them getting moving to take care of themselves and develope into citizens with some self respect and pride in America once again.

Let Obama take America over the "Fiscal Cliff"... he could show he is a leader for a change and America could end up being better for the experience.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 10:24 AM

Rick,

Yes, most were, there were a select few people who had enough but were not truly wealthy. And yes, that was what I was getting at, they grew up in poor households.

I think it made them "richer" people today. Not necessarily in monetary terms... but in self respect and pride in taking care of themselves. This do gooder mentality of today, not that a little of it is bad when it is a helping hand, but the mentality is to totally adopt these people and make them dependants. That destroys good people in my opinion.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 11:11 AM

'obese poor kids'

But they are hungry.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 11:38 AM
  • I shop at Restore, Teen Challenge, and Salvation Army store pretty often. Regarding shirts, It is hard to find the kind of shirts I like new. Over the years I've became accustomed to two pockets, a dress shirt style but of substanial material. Sounds like a western shirt would fill the bill, but I just never got into that style. Also it prides me in finding what I like in good shape with one of those rare "Made In U.S.A" tags.

We generally favor Teen Challenge as a place to donate and I liked the Cape store better when it was piled high and disorganized. Better chance of rooting around an finding a hidden treasure that way. :)

The last time I dropped off some good jackets in front of Schnucks I was rewarded with a collector Coke bottle that my daughter went wild over.

Wheels, Too bad Me'Lange quit posting. I may now never know the "proper" edicate in taking advantage of such bargains. And theorist could have given up the history concerning which king each charity was named for. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 11:49 AM
  • Old John you did nothing wrong at all, you even donated more then what the cost of the shirt was to help out the Salvation Army. Compare this day and time to the great depression here is the difference everybody back in those days had good work ethic and they took care of there families they worked hard and was proud of there country plus they didn't go around all the time with there hand out saying gime, gime and gime. The great generation earned what they have through hard work and true traditional American values something this country needs to get back too.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 12:48 PM
  • Rick, I suspect we were poor when I was a youngster but nobody ever told me. I knew some only childs that had a lot of toys but I had a lot of siblings and a good dog.:)

Habitat encourages responsiblity and Teen Challenge and the Salvation Army have a basic reason I believe in.

In my thinking the greatest incentive to have more is to be able to give or help in an uplifting way. Of course human nature, mine and other's dictates that most of us seek our own solid footing first before helping someone up.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 1:22 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: