Speak Out: Lets add another 23,000 takers

Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 12:37 AM:

What do you know. SS disability takes on another 27,000 folks in one month. That is close to the Jackson population time two. Thank you Mr. Obama and the myrmidons that put you in office.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/social-security-ran-478b-deficit-fy-2012-disable...

Replies (20)

• Yeah, screw those disabled people.

-- Posted by riregrist on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 5:04 AM
  • Just let them die. It will cost less.

-- Posted by Therealworld on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 7:24 AM
  • According to the article's figures, for fiscal 2012 the payouts were roughly $773 billion in benefits, for 8.8 million recipients.

That's about $90,000 per year for each recipient.

Can someone please explain this to me?

(Sorry that the computer seems to be inserting its own idea of needed links for any terms in my post.)

-- Posted by Givemeliberty on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 7:49 AM
  • Look at the Treasury Secretary. He has on his "I am not to be trifled with" face.

-- Posted by Givemeliberty on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 7:52 AM
  • "According to the article's figures, for fiscal 2012 the payouts were roughly $773 billion in benefits, for 8.8 million recipients."

$773 billion would appear to be the total payout for the Social Security Programme, not just Social Security Disability.

The 8.8 million figure would appear to be the number of enrollees in the disability programme alone.

Social Security lists a total of a littel over 62 million enrollees, of which about 54 million are in the Social Security programme alone, 5.5 million are in the Disability programme alone, and about 2.8 million are enrolled in both.

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/quickfacts/stat_snapshot/

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 8:26 AM
  • That figures to about $12,400 per enrollee, averaged, or about $1,000 per month per enrollee.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 8:27 AM
  • Yeah, screw those disabled people. -- Posted by riregrist on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 5:04 AM

Just let them die. It will cost less. -- Posted by 3forone on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 7:24 AM

Clearly two liberal democrats that have never taken care of family members in their life. Just toss them to the taxpayer and let someone else care for them. You talk compassion when compassion is a government check paid for by someone else. Charity comes from the heart, not the federal government.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:33 AM
  • The fact is when unemployment ran out the number of disabled rose. many of these are the lazy folks that want to ride the easy train.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:37 AM
  • Regret, You could help by getting the quarter million dollar contract to build steps onto the Poplar Bluff train depot and hire some of these folks. After insurance, federal wage standards and other government stipulations you could profit enough to stimulate the local economy with a trip to McDonalds. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 10:26 AM
  • "At least until almost the entire Baby Boomer generation has moved past age 66-67 I would expect the SS disability rolls to swell each year until at least 2030 or 2035 (when the much smaller number of 1970s & 1980s babies will be in their 50s & 60s)."

Why? Social Security Disability is supposed to be for those who are prevented from working due to a disability, which is quite different from those who no longer work due to having retired.

In theory, one would expect the disability payments to end when an enrollee begins to draw their full Social Security checque for retirment.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 10:35 AM
  • Shapley,

Thanks for the clarification/correction! I went to the SS site, and indeed, for FY 2012 the DI payments portion was (to the nearest billion) $139 billion, yielding about $15,xxx per recipient per year (I am assuming that the total of recipients over the entire FY was roughly what it was in November-December.)

I wonder what that represents in terms of a rate of return; that is, if the worker could have done better by investing privately (my hunch is yes, since I've heard for years now that SS has a negative rate of return in inflation-adjusted dollars.)

I noted that SS paid out more (1.25 x as much) in FY 2012 than it took in as payroll tax contributions, but Disability outdid it, paying out 1.5 x more than it took in as payroll tax contributions.

This makes no sense, but then, nothing about the federal government usually does.

It is also totally laughable and preposterous, for these arithmetically challenged people--which is putting the best possible face on it--to be posting some ledger sheets, as if they were so careful and circumspect about their accounting for the $$.

-- Posted by Givemeliberty on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:17 AM
  • "I noted that SS paid out more (1.25 x as much) in FY 2012 than it took in as payroll tax contributions, but Disability outdid it, paying out 1.5 x more than it took in as payroll tax contributions."

I was not aware that there was a separate payroll tax contribution dedicated to Social Security disability. It is my understanding that there are FICA taxes for Social Security and for Medicare, but not a separate entity for Disability.

To the best of my knowledge, the payroll tax cut enacted as part of the Stimulus Bill did not distinguish between Social Security and Medicare withholding, and it is up to the government to determine whether to identify the tax cut as being from one or the other depending, I presume, upon which has the greater cash flow issue.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:25 AM
  • They are advertising any one over 30 years old learn how to enroll for the new Obama social security disability programs. This company is advertising it on Facebook. Unbelievable, no wonder the trust fund is broke you add this plus all the IOU's congress owes the fund from over the years social security is nearly insolvent.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:53 AM
  • This obviously MUST be attributed to guns. Since this man is mentally disturbed it must be a guns fault somewhere.

Will Diane Feinstein call for a ban on gas or alcohol or whatever the man poured on this poor woman?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 12:47 PM
  • Clearly two liberal democrats that have never taken care of family members in their life. Just toss them to the taxpayer and let someone else care for them. You talk compassion when compassion is a government check paid for by someone else. Charity comes from the heart, not the federal government.

-- Posted by Dug on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:33 AM

Dug, you are so hilarious. It is so obvious you know nothing about what you post. All you can do is name call someone else. You must still be in high school. Go crawl on your momma's couch.

I have told you before what I am , but your comprehension skills are obviously on the level of a newborn. But he keep it coming it makes me laugh.

-- Posted by Therealworld on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 5:11 PM
  • You're a liberal. Be proud of it. Don't hide!

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 5:16 PM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 10:26 AM

Thanks for the heads up but they don't want to work. That will be prevailing wage at $30+ an hour. That's not enough to do real work.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 5:32 PM
  • Regret, What gets me as much as the obvious is what I consider ignorance gone to seed concerning this grant mentality we have nowdays. Some tax payer paid people actually get paid to "write grants", I wouldn't doubt if it's a college course in this day in age.

I've seen it first hand where a community project for $13,000 was all set to go and some liberal do-gooder "wrote" a grant. Next thing we knew the $30,000 grant was rewarded and the community matching part was $15,000. The owner/lawyer/politition of the major supply company doubled his bid. After all, it wasn't do gooding for the community any more, now it was government money!

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 6:40 PM
  • Shapley,

I don't believe the OASI (old age survivor's insurance) and DI (disability insurance) portions are separated in with holding--it's lumped together as "OASDI". But if you see the SS website you'll see their tables split the two:

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/ProgData/allOps.html

Enter "2012" and "Fiscal" in the top boxes, then "go". You'll get the table the article drew information from.

-- Posted by Givemeliberty on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 10:10 PM
  • "I don't believe the OASI (old age survivor's insurance) and DI (disability insurance) portions are separated in with holding--it's lumped together as "OASDI". But if you see the SS website you'll see their tables split the two:"

I see that, but I don't see any reference to the formulae that determines how they are split. The refer to the public law that created the DI trust fund, which I assume sets the formulation by which the percentage of payroll tax is allotted thereto.

I am curious to know whether it is a fixed percentage or a floating value based on demand. But I'm not curious enough, right now, to wade through the Googlenet to find out. Perhaps later...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 9:00 AM

Respond to this thread