[SeMissourian.com] Overcast ~ 48°F  
River stage: 23.19 ft. Falling
Friday, Oct. 24, 2014
Post reply Read replies (31) More threads Create thread

Democrat Underground wrong as usual.
Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 8:11 PM:

There is no puppy dog roundup in Sikeston.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/100...

Replies

The site is being renamed "Democrat Underground Stupid" in order to acquire some validity.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 9:11 AM

Wheels, That big boom you heard the other day was a secret government project to gauge the effects of a dumbing bomb on pit bulls before unleashing it on the sheeple. Another test will involve pit bulls on car roofs vs roofs of the mouths. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 12:19 PM

Wheels, they interviewed a guy that was around when that bridge was built, I thought you might have been watching the demolition, keeping an eye peeled for pit bulls.

I think Kennett got worked up over dobermans and pits a few years back.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 12:55 PM

I wonder if that was a Catholic or French bridge. :)

Maybe Theorist can enlighten us.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 1:14 PM

Stupid fox news... -- Posted by Spaniard on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 11:40 AM

Can you get fox news in Spain? What time is it over there right now? How's the economy doing? The riots? The secession movement? The massive government debt? The cuts to retirement and medical care programs.

-- Posted by Dug on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 2:25 PM

- Posted by Old John on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 1:14 PM

Here we go again.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 3:42 PM

This is kinda fun

www.bridgehunter.com/mo/st-charles/blanc...

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 11:59 PM

I had read somewhere there was a group of dogs headed to Hawaii for a Christmas feast.I fear they are going to learn about hope and change also.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 7:44 AM

You do realize that Scott Co is Democrat don't you? Why isn't the Missourian covering this?

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 9:34 AM

Rick

Scott County was a big Democrat area but mo longer. It started changing about the time Carter ran us into the ground.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 9:46 AM

There hasn't been a Republican elected to a Scott County office since the 20's. The 1920's. As in the Swinging Twenties. You know, flappers, Prohibition, the Jazz Age.....THOSE 20's.

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 9:58 AM

I see Wiffle is still dodging the fact he created a false thread

-- Posted by Spaniard on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 9:51 AM

Meg

How was it false?

Rick

I was talking about the national elections. Scott county is conservative whether it be Democrat or not. They don't like the spendthrifts.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 12:08 PM

As I recall the old rumours from when I worked in Sikeston years ago, there was a roundup of stray dogs and cats every year just before the annual 'Tamale Day' was held.

That rumour was never substantiated.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 8:46 AM

Sikeston officials say the 'roundup' is not happening.

The city claims they conducted an 'audit' of licensed owners and would sieze the dogs whose owners were found not to be in compliance with the restrictions (a lesson, perhaps, for those pushing for 'reasonable licensing requirements' for firearms). The city expected to sieze about 20 dogs, but siezed a total of 3 as of four days ago.

The attention of bloggers outside the city was attracted when the Humane Society of Sikeston began shipping dogs to shelters outside the city. This was done before the 'roundup' to make room for the anticipated arrival of dogs from the 'audit'. The Humane Society was expected hold the dogs until the owner's property was brought into compliance. One would assume that the 'audit' was requested because non-compliance was seen by neighbors, but I have not yet read the reason for the city to order such an 'audit'.

I'm shocked to see you cite Fox News as your authority on the subject, by the way. Doesn't that harm your party standing?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 11:43 AM

The Democrat Underground articles says:

"It doesn't matter that owners did everything to comply with the law. It doesn't seem to matter that the dogs had no history of aggression or complaints about them. It only seems to matter that they look like pit bulls, and the city authorities want them dead. All of them."

So, yes, Democrat Underground does seem to have it wrong, even if the 'audit' is being conducted, since only those dogs whose owners did not do 'everything to comply with the law'. Nor does it appear that the city authorities 'want them dead', they only want the owners to comply with the law.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 11:58 AM

Sikeson Missouri's Humane Society has this posted on their facebook page:

"I've had alot of messages lately asking about the situation going on here in Sikeston. I've read the good majority of the articles and the seem to get progressively more false as the go on. So here is the facts.

"We do in fact have BSL (Breed Specific Legislation) in Sikeston, MO. It has been in place for some years now, it unfairly targets Pit Bulls and labels them as "inherently dangerous". If you are to own one inside the City Limits then you have to meet the requirements set forth by the city which includes, registration of the dog, Beware of Dog signs on property, Insurance, a pen with a secure top and bottom as well as a lock for the gate and if the dog leaves your property it must be on a 4ft leash and a muzzle. This ordinance needs to be changed. Countless studies have shown that banning/restricting breeds does not work, never has, never will.

"The Sikeston Humane Society had NO part in the seizing of dogs. ACO and the shelter are 2 completely different entities.

"Also the amount of dogs we got in is wrong as well. That day we only received in 3 Pit Bulls for Non Compliance (3 to many I agree). The 20 dogs that everyone keeps reading about was an estimate that an ACO gave me, they never finished Wednesday. I also talked to the City Manger who said that they weren't doing a round up but rather an audit to make sure that the people who had met compliance once before were still in accordance with it, if they weren't then their dog would be seized. I do not know when they will finish this audit, with all this media attention I doubt they even will.The dogs we got in are not subject to immediate euthanasia, anyone who knows me knows that I would never do that. The owners are given 10 days to get their dogs back, if they need more time I always work with them. If the owners do not want them back then they are either put up for adoption or sent to rescues.

"Also the dogs we sent to rescues to make room for the incoming Pit Bulls were already in the shelter. We sent a total of 40 dogs to rescues all over not just St. Louis. We are lucky enough to have alot of rescues that support the shelter and when we asked for help they all came to our aid. I can't begin to thank them enough for helping us out when we needed it the most.

"The BSL here in Sikeston does need to be changed. I moved from Sikeston partly because I couldn't walk my own dogs down the street without them being muzzled and trust me, it'll be a cold day in hell when you see my dogs muzzled. If you want to help then contact local Sikeston City Officials and POLITELY tell them you would like to see a generic dangerous dog ordinance put in place, one that does not profile breeds and puts more responsibility on the owners because after all the monster isn't on the end of the leash it is the person holding the it.

"In my 3 years here at the shelter I have never felt like we have been as close as we are now to the law being changed, we could actually do this as long as we stay polite, educated and focused on the real goal, protecting families."

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 12:04 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

Want to comment?

In order to participate in semissourian.com's forums, you must be a registered member of the site. Once registered and logged in, you can post comments to existing threads or post new threads of your own. Click below to register now (it's free!). If you're already registered, just start commenting and posting threads.