[SeMissourian.com] Overcast ~ 44°F  
River stage: 14.3 ft. Rising
Sunday, Dec. 21, 2014
Post reply Read replies (23) More threads Create thread

The Truth behind Pearl Harbor
Posted by Mowrangler on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 1:36 PM:

Somehow I knew Dr. Down and Out would have a Pearl Harbor conspiracy theory or two.

Replies

Doom: You are correct that FDR and other leaders KNEW that Japan was going to attack. We moved the fleet for that reason, and the aircraft carriers were sent out for that reason as well. We had all the intelligence and were tracking the main Japanese attack fleet. We knew Japan was going to hit us hard and fast and we were going to sit back at let them hit us first.

Indeed we were all ready when the bombs started dropping ..... on December 8th as Japan began invading the Philippines. Pearl Harbor was a great military victory for Japan because they so effectively communicated exactly how and when they were going to start their assault on the Philippines. That is the real conspiracy.

-- Posted by Nil on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 5:23 PM

D&G

Letting it happen? Its past your bedtime.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 8:13 PM

America was of record neutral in the events of Europe and Asia and it's government continued to tell the public it was abiding the wish of the people to stay out of another foriegn war. Meanwhile American bankers and financiers were fueling the arsonals of Germany and Japan and providing capitol for Brittish defense and volunteer forces against Japan in China.

It is commonly accepted that Roosevelt and many understood that Germany was a threat to the U.S. and Roosevelt's policies regarding Japan had no other outcome than to force the Japanese to seek resources to sustain their momentum in the Pacific.

I believe the concensus was that Japan did not have such long range capabilities. Even the Japanese military considered the Pearl Harbor attact a long shot at best.

Washington knew a good posibility of Japan sudden agression was eminent, but I do think Pearl was a surprise.

The Lend Lease Act earlier in the year gave power and clout to those that finance, produce and profit from war and once that ball was hurled, so was the president's obligation to run with it.

Yes I believe the politics of being seen as forced to dismiss neutrality played a big part in the unfolding of events of 7 Dec 1941.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 1:13 AM

"How U.S. Economic Warfare Provoked Japan's Attack on Pearl Harbor" by Robert Higgs http://mises.org/daily/6312/FDRs-Pacific...

-- Posted by BCStoned on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 2:25 AM

This guy is paranoid "doom and gloom".

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 7:52 AM

Hey Doc, were you aware that FDR caused the stock market crash of 1929 and the depression that followed. Why? Just so he could be elected President in 1932.

Did yhou forget to take your medicine again this morning?

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 9:03 AM

Rick, do you mean WWII instead of WWI?

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 9:14 AM

.Rick Lately, Wars are always about money and power.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 10:51 AM

BC, Good link. I still don't think they thought the Japanese would attack Hawaii. They knew it could be a target but did not expect it as an opening salvo nor one of such success.

If they did know, the affect on uniting the country behind a war would not have been lessened if a proper readiness was maintained.

Sounds like a grave under-estimation of Japan's military abilities.

One of my in-laws told of being on watch on the California coast and reporting debris or, as he decribed it, what looked like a wash tub through field glasses. His superiors seemed unalarmed. Later in the day coast guard vessels were creating explosions a bit further out. He said he never knew if it was anything or not but looking back he wondered if it could have been a Japanese sub.

This was well before Dec 41 and I just assumed he mistakenly said Japanese sub instead of German U-boat. Maybe not

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 10:56 AM

This thread is not about "Conspiracy conjecture, it is about history. History is history, it is not anti-American, it is just history.

Of course, there is such a thing as blind loyalty.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 10:58 AM

Old John, I don't know much about WWII. I depend on those much better educated on the subject than me.

I do however put more faith in revisionists than I do comic book history shared in elementary schools.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 11:08 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

Want to comment?

In order to participate in semissourian.com's forums, you must be a registered member of the site. Once registered and logged in, you can post comments to existing threads or post new threads of your own. Click below to register now (it's free!). If you're already registered, just start commenting and posting threads.