[SeMissourian.com] Fair ~ 27°F  
River stage: 14.42 ft. Falling
Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2014
Post reply Read replies (26) More threads Create thread

Just when you thought it was gonna be free.......
Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 7:10 PM:

Bend over!

"On Monday's CBS This Morning, Cheesecake Factory CEO David Overton spotlighted the looming economic impact of Obamacare's implementation, especially on small enterprises: "For those businesses that don't cover their employees, they'll be in for a very expensive situation." Overton also warned that the cost of the law would be passed on to customers."

http://www.mrc.org/biasalerts/cbs-cheese...

Replies

Nonsense Regret! You can easily "insure" 30 MILLION extra people for nothing. This won't cost a thing. :-)

Over 20 new taxes in Obamacare. Hefty fines for not insuring people or not buying your personal insurance.

Predictions?

1-business will drop full time employees down to 28 or so hours to avoid fines

2-more massive debt out of this new democrat government solution

3-eventually fewer students will become doctors

4-rationed care

5-more Obama voters

-- Posted by Dug on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 7:24 PM

Per CEO Overton's interview...

"However, we do cover everyone that works over 25 hours today. So, unlike a lot of businesses, we already are paying a great deal in health care. So, we're not sure how much more it will be - or how much less - or what exactly we'll do. So, for us, it won't be as bad as it will be for others, which it will be very costly."

So it appears possible that his costs will be less. So much for the "chicken littles" on Speak Out...

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 7:27 PM

"OVERTON: Not worried yet - and, when I hear the numbers, I might be. But, again, because we spend millions and millions of dollars today on health care, we don't know exactly how much more we'll pay. For those businesses that don't cover their employees, they'll be in for a very expensive situation."

Its a shame you don't have to go into the next year wondering how much it will cost. This is the main problem. Nobody knows how much. Unlike Obama, businesses have a thing called budgets we have to follow.

But for a retired, still working, old, young, work for others, self employed person, like you we know as much about you as we know how much this disaster is going to cost. These things will happen for sure. Workers will lose their jobs, consumers will pay the extra cost of doing business, Sales will drop, healthcare will get shabby, and you will not get it for free.

As wheels says: Get used to looking at the wallpaper in the waiting room. Its gonna get bad.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 7:56 PM

So, we're not sure how much more it will be - or how much less - or what exactly we'll do"-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 7:27 PM

If you can read that line and find something positive you're spinning again. Try this:

"So we're not sure how much MORE it will be..." or

"So we're not sure what exactly we'll do"... or your favorite

"So we're not sure how much less it will be"

Doesn't sound good for the employees to me - or the company - or the customers.

-- Posted by Dug on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 8:31 PM

Dug: "1-business will drop full time employees down to 28 or so hours to avoid fines"

There is a calculation for "full time equivalent" (FTE) not a difference between full time & part time employees at X number of hours. So each 28 hour a week employee would count as being 0.7 of a FTEs. Businesses face fines based on the number of FTEs they have. So if 4000 hours are being worked each week that is 100 FTEs for the purposes of fines regardless of whether the business has 200 employees working 20 hours each per week or 100 employees working 40 hours each week. Here is a link to the penalties under Obamacare. Note all the times that the words "full time equivalent" are used.

http://www.ncsl.org/documents/health/Emp...

-- Posted by Nil on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 12:23 AM

CSM since you are the resident expert on obamacare tell me how much my premiums will run on my family of 4?

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 7:11 AM

"...tell me how much my premiums will run on my family of 4?"

Ask your health insurance company. This link may give you an idea of what the Afforable Care Act does.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/spe...

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 2:07 PM

Common - as you know and it can easily be proven - Obama said health care costs would go down if Obamacare passed. They have gone up significantly since then.

Why do you continue to believe what he says and spin this? Simply - why??? He's been wrong all along on this. Or is this also "Bush's fault"? The story:

"During Obama's term, between 2009 to 2012, premiums have climbed $2,370 for the average family with an employer-provided plan -- a rate faster than the during the previous four years under President George W. Bush, according to Kaiser."

The link: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/201...

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 2:34 PM

Look at the states that are telling Obama they are NOT going to set up their health insurance exchange because it will bankrupt the state. Obama cant stand the thought of letting a state have control of their own healthcare. It would hurt the Democrats political power.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 7:01 PM

Still no answer from Common? You support this man and he's been wrong at nearly every turn. Yet you spin for him. Why?

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 10:48 PM

CSN I read your link and it did not answer my question. I said my premium MIGHT be in so and so range a year. That range was about $1,000. So you still not have answered my question. Why am I not surprized?

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 5:58 AM

What would happen if 100% of the States in America refused NOT to set up their health insurance exchange because it will bankrupt their state ?

-- Posted by .Rick Lately on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 8:26 AM

No one knows yet. It's unfunded mandate.

The federal government could set up the exchange but there's no money allocated to do that in Obamacare. Remember the Supreme Court struck down the enforcement provision that allowed the feds to withhold medicare payments from states that didn't set up exchanges.

The exchanges are going cost an outrageous amount of money to maintain which is why a lot of states won't start them.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 7:47 PM

Where go we need to raise the debt ceiling to insure this works.

Single payer or bust!

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 8:20 PM

This thing it going to implode. After many have lost their work related insurance and thrown into Obamacare it will be too late to back out. Get ready to pay dearly for something that was suppose to be cheaper. You have to vote for it to see what is in it was a "pig in a poke".

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 8:32 PM

Rick, You do know air is taxable once breathed out don't you?

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:54 AM

Say it isn't so - "Your medical plan is facing an unexpected expense, so you probably are, too. It's a new, $63-per-head fee to cushion the cost of covering people with pre-existing conditions under President Barack Obama's health care overhaul."... and ...

"It set the per capita rate at $5.25 per month, which works out to $63 a year." ... and ...

"The fee will be assessed on all "major medical" insurance plans, including those provided by employers and those purchased individually by consumers."

from http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/12/10/s...

-- Posted by fxpwt on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 5:01 PM

fxpwt, Few can claim they do not have at least one pre-existing condition, as defined by a health insurance provider.

-- Posted by huntress2 on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 5:32 PM

FX

Don't worry. The wealthy insurance companies will just eat it. It wont cost employers a dime. Ask Common.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 5:34 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

Want to comment?

In order to participate in semissourian.com's forums, you must be a registered member of the site. Once registered and logged in, you can post comments to existing threads or post new threads of your own. Click below to register now (it's free!). If you're already registered, just start commenting and posting threads.