Smart Dipomacy

Posted by blogbudsman on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 10:02 AM:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_Econ...

It is symptomatic of the national condition of the United States that the worst humiliation ever suffered by it as a nation, and by a US president personally, passed almost without comment last week. I refer to the November 20 announcement at a summit meeting in Phnom Penh that 15 Asian nations, comprising half the world's population, would form a Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership excluding the United States.

President Barack Obama attended the summit to sell a US-based Trans-Pacific Partnership excluding China. He didn't. The American led-partnership became a party to which no-one came.

Instead, the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, plus China, India, Japan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand, will form a club and leave out the United States.

Replies

Careful - you are exposing yourself to name calling, hyper-attacks and threats for questioning the genius of Barack Obama. How dare you!

-- Posted by Dug on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 10:08 AM

The American Press has apparently decided it will not report anything that harms the image of Mr. Obama as anything short of our Lord and Saviour.

It is no different than it was during the election.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 10:18 AM

The Germans dismissed his suggestions earlier this year. They rather found it ludicrous that he was telling Europe how to deal with debt, telling him to get his own house in order before criticizing theirs.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/euro...

"German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schäuble rebuffed recent criticism of Germany's handling of the euro crisis from Barack Obama, telling the US president to get his own house in order before giving advice.

"Herr Obama should above all deal with the reduction of the American deficit. That is higher than that in the euro zone," he told German public broadcaster ZDF on Sunday night. It is easy to give advice to others, he added."

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 11:15 AM

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 11:15 AM

I posted repeatedly before the election how our debt to GDP was worse than Europe and they had riots and drastic cuts to entitlement programs.

And the sheep kept in line...

-- Posted by Dug on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 11:48 AM
  • "The American Press has apparently decided it will not report anything that harms the image of Mr. Obama as anything short of our Lord and Saviour."

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/a/1564...

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 12:22 PM
  • Rick,

Politicians have always considered themselves larger than you and me. It's a Washington DC entitlement.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 3:28 PM
  • Those who write the rules always wins ...

"Me first , then you get yours"

-- Posted by .Rick Lately on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 3:37 PM

Yep, and unfortunately the majority of voters have no problem with that.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 4:05 PM

The Emperor has no clothes. And his skinny arse appears as impotent to me.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 6:04 PM

I have said it before and I will say it again. The American people will bitterly regret the re-elecftion of Obama.

I have always thought he was and is a charaltan and I shall maintain that position. Please don't bother to tell me to get over it because he won the election.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 6:22 PM
  • "...15 Asian nations, comprising half the world's population, would form a Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership..."

Perhaps you noticed that even with the Aleutiaan Islands, the United States is not in Asia.

The initiative for their partnership began in 2006. Why should the US be involved?

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 10:20 PM
  • Common, I think it has to do with trade which is a world wide thing these days. Come to think of it, so was it at the time of our country's founding.

Didn't we give China most favored trading status. So why would we not want to be part of a fair trading group with that part of the world.

We let Vietnamese fish farmers send in product without the regulations of U.S. fish farmers and several other countries are kicking our buts with unfair trade.

Perhaps I don't understand what a RCEP is. And yes I notice the "regional" word there.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 11:16 PM
  • BC, Maybe the U.S. interests are best served if the president stays out of it?

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 11:58 PM

"Unless it has changed, Brazil is China's largest trading partner."

I don't know where you got that figure. The European Union, with 567 billion in annual trade (2011 figure) is the largest, followed by the United States, with 447 billion.

Brazil's trade with China has been growing markedly, reaching $56 billion in 2010 (I don't have the 2011 figure, but it is doubtful that it has increased tenfold, which would be necessary to tie the EU).

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 9:13 AM

Ike,

No need of anyone else rooting against the US... Obama and his cheerleaders are handling that quite well alone.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 1:31 PM
  • Wonder if this set back bruised his overgrown ego? You would think a great community organizer would be able to bring the Olympics to the USA. But just another failure.Don't worry barack lots of people fail at their first real job.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 1:47 PM
  • Things are subject to change. "We want to be your biggest customer"

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 6:22 PM

I did love seeing him turned down by the Olympic committee. Like Chicago could afford it anyway.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 6:52 PM
  • There are basically two types of complainers: those who complain instead of taking responsibility for their failures, and those who complain because they are attention seekers.

It is easy to see most of you fall into the complainer group, I just can't figure out which type you are.

What is a dipomacy?

-- Posted by Reasoning on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 6:01 AM

There are basically two types of complainers: those who complain instead of taking responsibility for their failures, and those who complain because they are attention seekers.

It is easy to see most of you fall into the complainer group, I just can't figure out which type you are.

What is a dipomacy?

-- Posted by Reasoning on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 6:01 AM

Reasoning,

OK, so anyone who does not agree with you is s complainer... you just cannot figure out how to categorize us.

Don't think I can help you with that one, but I can give you a little insight on what "Diplomacy" is not.

Diplomacey is not criticizing your detractors with all of the finesse of a brick coming through a window.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 10:56 AM

The ride will be worth the consequences.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 12:12 PM

There are basically two types of complainers: those who complain instead of taking responsibility for their failures, and those who complain because they are attention seekers. -- Posted by Reasoning on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 6:01 AM

The entire premise of this statement is untrue. There are those that disagree with policy and decisions and offer their own educated perspective on what should be done as an alternative approach.

You support raising taxes to solve Obama's deficit.

I support cutting entitlements to solve Obama's deficit.

If I'm complaining, then so are you...

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 12:13 PM

-- Posted by .Rick Lately on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 12:19 PM

Rick,

I feature the ride over the cliff being more like a roller coaster, with half the crowd shouting wheeeeee and screaming loudly, while the other half is throwing up in their barf bags.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 1:03 PM
  • I easily fall into your third category .Rick, though there aren't enough of us to make it a legitimate section I am afraid. I was reading this thread this morning and had to comment about the (woe is me) sect.

You take what you are given to work with, and you do the best with it. Smile, love and live life and be the best you can be. Is complaining all day every day the best you have, Have Wheels?

-- Posted by Reasoning on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 1:27 PM

Is complaining all day every day the best you have, Have Wheels?

-- Posted by Reasoning on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 1:27 PM

Not complaining Sweetie, just voicing my opinion, as is my right to do so.... yet anyway.

Haven't we met in another life form on this forum? By that I mean you having been in another life form as I remain the same as I started.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 1:57 PM
  • I am a man. I assume you are, want to clarify what you are saying?

-- Posted by Reasoning on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 2:12 PM

I am a man. I assume you are, want to clarify what you are saying?

-- Posted by Reasoning on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 2:12 PM

Yeah... if that is so? If so substitute 'Junior' for 'Sweetie'.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 2:16 PM

Rick,

They either come together as adults, all at the same table, or let it go over the cliff and everybody gets a share of the mess.

Obama seems to think he can play the stand aloof game and come out unscathed. I don't think so. He was hired to do a job for the people of this country. That does not mean his underlings working with cell phone advice from the golf course.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 2:21 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: