[SeMissourian.com] Partly Cloudy ~ 42°F  
River stage: 12.95 ft. Rising
Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015
Post reply Read replies (197) More threads Create thread

Will the Fiscal Cliff be avoided?
Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 7:32 PM:

Will the fiscal cliff which is fast approaching be avoided by December 31st 2012? a good question as we all can see nothing has changed in Washington same fighting, bickering and tug of war every day by both parties. I listen to Ersken Bowles and Retired Senator Alan Simpson of the Bowles/Simpson Debt Commission last night on C-Span and I learned more from these two honorable Americans about the very serious situation we are facing then I have learn listening to Congress and the President for the past four years. Mr. Bowles and Mr. Simpson laid it right out there and told it like it was and did not pull any punches that this is a very serious matter at hand and both sides better stop with the politics and come to the table and get this matter resolved.

Replies

I hope they do Wheels, for once can both sides work together and stop this fighting among one another. Back in the day both parties had differences but by the end of the day a deal was reached for the betterment of the country and we all moved on to the next problem, what has happen to those days where has it all gone?

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 7:58 PM

I'm guessing all this fiscal cliff stuff amounts to the same as the last so called serious moment in political reality dealing with the debt ceiling. They will pass some marginal legislation for the feel good purpose and then back to the usual.

I wouldn't doubt if you see office holders bragging on TV about how they avoided a national catastrophy with bi-partisan Obama led cooperation while spending more and more in back room pork to reach an agreement.

Meanwhile our ruler will be enacting a few more "rules" as the press covers the story of the day.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 8:14 PM

I think this kids ramp is more the size of Evil Knevil's ramp at the Snake River Canyon. I'm afraid the result maybe the same.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 9:57 AM

The Problem In One Graph...

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/11/...

-- Posted by bbollmann on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 10:15 AM

Why avoid it? The bed's made - let's sleep in it. All Americans contributing to our national expenditures. Sounds right to me.

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 10:27 AM

Fiscal cliff? Tinker Toys! More bread and circuses to distract us from...

"The U.S. fiscal gap, calculated (by us) using the Congressional Budget Office's realistic long-term budget forecast -- the Alternative Fiscal Scenario -- is now $222 trillion. Last year, it was $211 trillion. The $11 trillion difference -- this year's true federal deficit -- is 10 times larger than the official deficit and roughly as large as the entire stock of official debt in public hands."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-08...

AND...

"I think if you took the value of all the hard assets in the world--every stock, bond, house, car, boat, plane, everything in the world--I think you'd be around $200 trillion. And we've got $648 trillion in derivatives. That is clearly insane."

http://resourceswire.com/2012/11/the-pip...

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 12:39 PM

Remember...bitterly regret.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 6:32 PM

BHO would love nothing less than the "fiscal cliff". It's what he has been working on since he was set up for the presidency. He is George Soros' stoolie. Soros has publicly stated his intent is to bring down the US by ruining the economy. Promises during the campaign were nothing more than to buy votes so he(they)could get on with real agenda. Hide and watch,my friends,this is only the beginning.

-- Posted by dab1969 on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 9:57 PM

BC,

I dunno. That really isn't a real attractive option for me. It feels too much like pouring my own tomb. It's not off the table though.

The dropping out part is easy. The question is "where to drop out to?"

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 7:50 AM

"Only crazy people

End up with me..."

-- Posted by .Rick Lately on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 1:40 AM

Finally, some honesty...

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 8:41 AM

The 'fiscal cliff' will not 'bring down the economy'. It will raise taxes and lower spending. If we go over it, Mr. Obama will get the tax increases he wants, and some he doesn't, and the Republicans will get the spending cuts they want, and some they don't. The end result, however, will be tax increases and spending cuts (real ones, not promises of spending cuts ten years down the road) - the things the Democrats and Republicans are meeting to try to accomplish anyway.

If the 'fiscal cliff' is the only way to get real spending cuts enacted, then bring it on.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 8:54 AM

The fiscal cliff will mean nothing. For every spending cut that is mandated, the gov't will replace it with additional spending somewhere else.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 9:11 AM

So someone explain this extra $2,000 in taxes republicans want to impose on the middle class according to Obama. Or is he promising $2,000 in leech food to all that follow and praise him?

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 12:01 PM

With over 16 trillion dollar debt and mounting each day with additional being tacked on in early 2013 and both sides are really talking very minimal cuts which will not even be a drop in the bucket to start to slow this bleed down. We got to face this monster sooner or later time is running out. Boehner said it best yesterday "This place is broke". The key is are the people ready to tackle this thing or let go until it crashes and we go in to a great depression.http://www.usdebtclock.org/

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 4:23 PM

Boehner said that?

Talk is cheap.

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 4:49 PM

http://mercatus.org/publication/medicaid...

"Reforming Medicaid programs is becoming a critical policy concern because federal and state Medicaid spending is on an unsustainable path. Total Medicaid spending increased 118 percent from 1995 to 2005[1] and the Congressional Budget Office is predicting another 115 percent increase in federal spending from 2011 to 2021.[2] On average, states spend an additional 32 percent of the federal total.[3] Thus, policymakers are faced with the enormous challenge of containing Medicaid spending without endangering the health of a vulnerable population. One option is to provide incentives for Medicaid members to take actions to improve their own heath, including the receipt of preventive care, and to encourage members to use lower-cost options in the health system.

"In March 2007, West Virginia implemented a Medicaid redesign, Mountain Health Choices (MHC), aimed at reducing costs and improving care through increased personal responsibility and preventive care.[4] A major goal of the redesign was to limit use of the ER for non- emergency visits.[5] Other states have since announced coverage limits for the ER, including not covering visits deemed unnecessary (Washington) and limiting visits to six per year (Florida). However, the West Virginia efforts were unique in trying to encourage more health behaviors instead of restricting ER use directly.

"Under MHC, the existing Medicaid program design ended and women and child members were either enrolled in an enhanced plan, in which they agreed to certain program rules and received more comprehensive benefits in return, or a basic option with fewer program rules that was less generous in prescription coverage and mental health and chemical-dependency services than the previous Medicaid design. The enhanced plan rules entailed completing and signing both a member-responsibility agreement and a health- improvement plan. The member-responsibility agreement was a pledge that included using the ER only for emergencies, relying on "medical homes" for services, keeping appointments with doctors, and "doing my best to stay healthy." The health-improvement plan is an agreement developed during a visit to the primary-care provider as part of the MHC enrollment process and outlines office visits, diagnostic services, and education programs the beneficiary agreed to receive in the coming year. The default option was the basic plan, and only about 14 percent of members chose to enroll in the enhanced plan."

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 8:43 PM

In just the last couple of days I have decided that it may be best to go over that cliff and take the plunge to a level where the view is less obstructed instead of climbing higher looking for a road down.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 8:56 PM

Why not go over the Fiscal Cliff and just get the distruction over now so we can start all over fresh...without Obama.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 1:30 PM

Here it is

Annual income: $20,000 to $30,000.

Average tax increase: $1,064.

___

Annual income: $30,000 to $40,000.

Average tax increase: $1,417.

___

Annual income: $40,000 to $50,000.

Average tax increase: $1,729.

___

Annual income: $50,000 to $75,000.

Average tax increase: $2,399.

___

Annual income: $75,000 to $100,000.

Average tax increase: $3,688.

___

Annual income: $100,000 to $200,000.

Average tax increase: $6,662.

___

Annual income: $200,000 to $500,000.

Average tax increase: $14,643.

___

Annual income: $500,000 to $1 million.

Average tax increase: $38,969.

___

Annual income: More than $1 million.

Average tax increase: $254,637.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 11:12 PM

" .Mr. Obama repeatedly lost patience with the speaker as negotiations faltered. In an Oval Office meeting last week, he told Mr. Boehner that if the sides didn't reach agreement, he would use his inaugural address and his State of the Union speech to tell the country the Republicans were at fault.

At one point, according to notes taken by a participant, Mr. Boehner told the president, "I put $800 billion [in tax revenue] on the table. What do I get for that?"

"You get nothing," the president said. "I get that for free.""

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 11:43 PM

Going over the Fiscal Cliff? Phooey! It will be more like going over the Niagara Falls WITHOUT THE BARREL!

The Charlatan in the White House may very well learn some bitter lessons himself if the history of second terms serve as examples. The election of 2014 looms ahead. By which time circumstances may have changed to put him in an unfavorable and untenable position.

He may learn the bitter lesson that nothing is free, even for him.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 10:38 AM

I posted months ago that he didn't care about the "fiscal cliff". He will collect all the money on his "main street" supporters and then refuse to cut much, if any, from his spending bonanza. Just like refusing to deport illegals and refusing to enforce drug laws he will refuse to make the cuts to entitlement programs.

He's so predictable. The only leverage here is the debt ceiling increase and then he'll lie and fly around the country campaigning. That's all he's good at. He has no idea how to run any organization let alone the executive branch. He has zero leadership skills.

-- Posted by Dug on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 11:24 AM

Obama must not be too worried about any cliff as he plays golf with one of his criminal friends.

This shortly after a 1600 word speech to eulogize Senator Inouye at the National Cathederal in which only about 100 words were about the war hero senator. The rest were all about Obama.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 1:19 PM

Guess that makes me a plagiarizer huh?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 1:30 PM

Better be glad Mel isn't around.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 2:45 PM

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 2:48 PM

I would say since the post and Mel disappeared at the same time there must have been a blow up.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 6:34 PM

I would say since the post and Mel disappeared at the same time there must have been a blow up. -- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 6:34 PM

Honestly - I think it was self-indulgence. I think Mel censored Mel. I believe she may run for public office and doesn't want her posts exposed. Kinda like hiding your tracks.

But I could be wrong.

-- Posted by Dug on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 10:23 PM

Wonder who or what triggered it. Wasn't me... I don't think I was out of bed yet when it happened, although I sometimes stay up almost long enough to greet some of the early risers before going to bed.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 7:13 PM

I don't know. I would say we may have been called some bad things while we weren't looking.

She said she sent a letter to the police of the town where the dad shot up the girls laptop. I'm sure hers was one of many thousands. I always wondered if she would send the ATF and FBI a letter saying posters on here might be dangerous and should be checked out?

Had a friend with a wife that was always thinking there was a conspiracy brewing. He started working overseas and only came home for a couple of weeks for Christmas. After a couple of years she divorced him and moved on and then he came back home and stayed.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 10:55 PM

I posted on her thread about 2:00 am and it was gone when I got up. My first thought was that she may have had one of those "Oh what's the use" moments and had her self removed in a fit of disgust.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 11:05 PM

Is suicide (figuratively speaking) coming into vogue?

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 10:10 AM

Wheels, I think we may have differred a bit in our reaction to her proper and political correct projections of herself but I think we have lost a part of the entertainment, education and pleasure factor with MeLange's absence.

What's better than poking fun at a far left liberal that thinks she's a moderate?

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 7:02 PM

Common may be feeling a heavy burden now but we know he's up to the job.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 7:38 PM

Merry Christmas indeed! I just turned on the TV and "It's A Wonderful Life" is on, I'm a sucker for classic reruns and that is one of my favorites.

Wishes of well to all my fellow posters and hopes of Christmas joy to all!

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 8:16 PM

Merry Christmas to you guys.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 8:27 PM

Merry Christmas to all and as Common said "I really mean it"! :-)

-- Posted by Dug on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 9:06 PM

Wheels

Santa might leave you some flat tires.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 10:31 PM

My brother in law brought up that Obama Want the see us go over the cliff. It would give him a ton of revenue with loss of all the tax cuts that he can blame on the republicans. He also knows he will get approval to spend within the next month so he can save the country.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 10:47 PM

"No deal in sight as deadline for fiscal deal nears"

Sounds contradictory.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 1:50 PM

Then, again, I guess it doesn't.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 1:51 PM

"U.S. House, Steny Hoyer, compared Republican tactics for dealing with the nation's debt limit to someone threatening to shoot a child hostage."

Classy huh?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 5:25 PM

And on another thread we have a liberal criticizing people who complain about the increase in social security "disability" claims. His classy response? "Just let them die. It will cost less."

-- Posted by Dug on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 5:31 PM

Never fear, Obama is cutting his vacation short [leaving family behind] to come straighten this mess out! Leader Harry Reid and dictater house speaker will both make a compromise in the final hour with Obama in charge. A KTCDTR* bill will be passed and all will be well until the executive order and Afordable Care Care Act spending and taxation tricks kick in to start providing relief to the middle class.

*Kick the can down the road

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 7:25 PM

BO to the rescue!

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:24 PM

Wheels if we go over the cliff Monday night they are saying that milk could go up to $7.00 per gallon, man we are in one hell of a mess in this country.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 6:05 AM

milk is projected go up because congress has not renewed a big old farm welfare program aka subsidy

you can not have cake and drink milk too. either stop griping about deficit spending or understand every program is on the chopping block

-- Posted by chocolate thread on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 6:39 AM

milk is projected go up because congress has not renewed a big old farm welfare program aka subsidy. you can not have cake and drink milk too. -- Posted by capiche on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 6:39 AM

Your statement appears to blame the farmers for this problem. Are you aware that the government sets the price for milk? Are you aware that dairy farmers get hosed by the governments policies on pricing - without proper adjustments for inflation? Are you aware that the government paid dairy farmers to *quit* producing???

Milk prices and dairy farmers would be just fine if the government quit forcing prices on farmers. They are using a 1920s/30s pricing model for milk and the price is screwed up. I don't think that's a "big old farm welfare" program. It's a bureaucratic government mess.

-- Posted by Dug on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 8:41 AM

http://bonds.about.com/od/Issues-in-the-...

Good article that explains what the fiscal cliff is all about and the affect to our economy.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 8:41 AM

"milk is projected go up because congress has not renewed a big old farm welfare program aka subsidy"

It is not. Those rich dairy farmers don't need it.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 11:53 AM

-- Posted by .Rick Lately on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 12:04 PM

That is about right. People grip about subsidies but milk is one example that will bite them first. With the money invested and labor involved milking 365 days a year, it is probably one of the lowest paying businesses to be in.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 12:10 AM

Wheels

Are you on the move?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 12:31 AM

it is probably one of the lowest paying businesses to be in. -- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 12:10 AM

True! And the "welfare" they receive is in part due to manipulation of the milk market by the government to begin with. I believe there was a time when the gov't was paying milk farmers to get out of the business.

Where it gets weird is *if* the milk subsidies to farmers is dropped then the price goes to a high amount like $7 / gallon guess who will pick up the tab for the so-called "poor"? Taxpayers. The EBT cards will be charged more for milk and we will pay.

-- Posted by Dug on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 9:10 AM

In the coming New Year, 2013, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union address will occur on the same day. This is an ironic juxtaposition of events. One involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to an insignificant creature of little intelligence for prognostication.

The other involves a groundhog.

-- Posted by dab1969 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 9:21 AM

No - I'm arguing that government control for many decades has screwed up the milk market so much that we have subsidies to deal with the mess the government made.

A poster above seemed to blame the farmers for this situation. I blame a government intent on manipulating prices. I'm just trying to point out what happens when the government scr**s with the market. Oh what a tangled web we weave...

-- Posted by Dug on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 9:40 AM

Bring on $8 per gallon for milk if that means less government interference in the marketplace. -- Posted by BCStoned on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 10:12 AM

I agree! People will then decide what the "value" of milk is - not the government.

-- Posted by Dug on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 10:17 AM

If milk goes to $8.00 per gallon old Jersey will be golden. On a serious note folks you will be surprise of the people that don't even know about this fast approaching fiscal cliff and what it means, they look at you like your stupid where are some of these people what planet do they reside on.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 11:08 AM

Pass it on/pay it forward. Plagiarized anyway. Copied it from an email I received. Author unknown but very wise. Sometimes the simplest of things say the most.

-- Posted by dab1969 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 11:53 AM

I can't seem to grasp the why of milk going up if a farm bill isn't fully funded. Will it cost more to grow hay?

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 12:28 PM

BC, If government pulled out the saftey net of a minimum price from under the milk, I would think the price would go lower until market decided the value of milk. Or is it a price cap the government imposes?

Aren't government schools a major purchaser and how would that affect the outcome of supply and demand?

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 1:13 PM

OJ

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/12/2...

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 1:50 PM

Regret, Thanks for the reply.

Rick, Little computer tracking device to tax your travel so you can pay for the roads you use, don't worry, nobody knows you're miles away with nobody guarding your house.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 12:07 AM

As it appears this morning it looks like we could very well go over the cliff tomorrow night, as there is not enough time to put all of this together at the last minute congress has been dragging there feet for 18 months on this they knew it was coming and they wait until the final 48 hours to try to put a deal together. If we go over no doubt the markets will panic worldwide congress can come back as early as January 3rd and continue working toward a resolution and make it retroactive back to Janaury 1, 2013 but who knows right now anything is subject to happen if this situation goes over the fiscal cliff. I hope and pray we can reach a deal prior to midnight tomorrow night.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 10:07 AM

BCStoned you might be correct it would be in the long term good for the country it would no doubt make us a much better nation that is the way the great generation was born through the great depression but I don't know if some of these people of today especially the younger generation would be able to handle something like this.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 11:35 AM

Better idea. Throw congress over the cliff.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 6:59 PM

Burn baby burn!

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 9:20 PM

I'm up tonight and have been working since the day before Christmas eve because a customer wants drawings and projected costs done by tomorrow. I stopped long enough to have the family over for Christmas and then back to work and I am now printing it out. I could have taken off but it had to be done.

So why didn't they take off only one day the same as I? They are lazy b******** the same as many of the takers they give my money to.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 12:23 AM

Regret, It all started way back with the establishment of banker's hours, they were above the working class of 10 hour days. The polititions started doing long hour sessions for public consumption two or three times a year as justification for more home time claimed itwas for purpose of representation.

The polititions and bankers have intermarried until they are nearly the same with a common lobbyist and lawyer ancestry. :)

I thought you were going to back off pare down a bit.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 12:41 AM

About the milk prices: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory...

There's even some talk about voluntary milk price insurance and mandantory purchase of something else if you don't care to volunteer.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 1:02 AM

Question from your article OJ - If the milk price subsidies bill expired this past October, how are milk prices still low? Sounds like someone is still able to manipulate prices outside of the law. Like maybe an executive order or something?

-- Posted by Dug on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 8:48 AM

Dug, I was a bit confused about several things and noticed there are several articles out there regarding the subject. I've not the time to read them, was just figuring as usual one would have to dig through each contributers spin to find out.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 1:09 PM

As I predicted in other posts if this fiscal cliff is settled taxes will go up and the cuts will be delayed. More of the same crap over and over. It's so tiring.

I say let ALL the taxes go up on EVERYONE. And let the $1 Trillion in cuts begin. This is all a 3 act play - Shakespeare would be envious of the wordsmithing, posturing and grandstanding of this bunch.

-- Posted by Dug on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 4:48 PM

Dug it appears no one is concerned about the debt I believe we are so far in there will never be a way to draw down the debt, people have the mind set cut John across the street but don't cut mind this is all left up to the people on what they want to do. I believe some out there wouldn't mind if the debt got up to 30 trillion it wouldn't bother them as long as they keep receiving. It is all in entitlements about 90 trillion dollars worth of unfunded liabilties.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 5:27 PM

Swamp

People don't understand how much a trillion really is. It has become so commonplace for most people to be in serious debt they just think the way to live is day to day and why should government be any different.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 6:05 PM

Kind what I think Wheels.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 8:01 PM

lying b*****d back to the table to seriously discuss spending cuts?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 7:24 PM

Seriously? To whom are you referring here, Mr. Wheels?

-- Posted by Reasoning on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 9:18 PM

Seriously? To whom are you referring here, Mr. Wheels?

-- Posted by Reasoning on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 9:18 PM

I would say Obama and I agree with Wheels. That guy wont make any cuts if he doesn't have to.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 1:18 AM

Wheels

What the temp?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 6:13 PM

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 4:29 PM

I think they thought that responding would be "un"Reasonable... :-)

-- Posted by Dug on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 6:24 PM

Mrs. Emerson voted to pass H.R. 8, with no reductions in spending overall.

Increased taxes on high earners, increased capital gains, increased inheritance tax, increase in unemployment benefits, no meaningful spending cuts.

She had Blaine Luetkemeyer to keep her company, and Democrat representatives Clay and Cleaver.

Voting "no" from Missouri were Akin, Hartzler, and Long. Not voting was Graves.

In the Senate, less than 24 hours ago, both Blunt and McCaskill voted to pass.

-- Posted by Givemeliberty on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 10:44 PM

In the Senate, less than 24 hours ago, both Blunt and McCaskill voted to pass. -- Posted by Givemeliberty on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 10:44 PM

Not that it would make a difference but I sent them emails to express my disagreement with their votes to raise some taxes and kick spending cuts down the road - a very long road based on history. They are incapable of dealing with one of the biggest problems facing this country.

-- Posted by Dug on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 11:03 PM

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 4:06 PM

I bet Reasoning is one of the ugly teachers.

Now I think Ther could be a hotty but I may be wrong and she could be a dude that I don't consider hotties. Just covering my bases.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 5:03 PM

I'm guessing all this fiscal cliff stuff amounts to the same as the last so called serious moment in political reality dealing with the debt ceiling. They will pass some marginal legislation for the feel good purpose and then back to the usual.

I wouldn't doubt if you see office holders bragging on TV about how they avoided a national catastrophy with bi-partisan Obama led cooperation while spending more and more in back room pork to reach an agreement.

Meanwhile our ruler will be enacting a few more "rules" as the press covers the story of the day.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 8:14 PM

Gee I was somewhat right for a change! :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 6:33 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

Want to comment?

In order to participate in semissourian.com's forums, you must be a registered member of the site. Once registered and logged in, you can post comments to existing threads or post new threads of your own. Click below to register now (it's free!). If you're already registered, just start commenting and posting threads.