[SeMissourian.com] Overcast ~ 64°F  
River stage: 22.59 ft. Rising
Sunday, Apr. 19, 2015
Post reply Read replies (14) More threads Create thread

I, Pencil
Posted by Simon Jester on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 7:40 PM:

One of three books that I would consider personally life changing.

Replies

I have read that Thoreau knew how to make a good pencil.

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 7:44 PM

BC,

The only magazine I read in high school was MAD. Besides a few car magazines, and Reason (before Balko quit), MAD is the only periodical that I have ever subscribed to.

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 8:13 PM

Rick V, You were way ahead of me in intelectual reading. I remember the Weekly Reader and the occasional chance to read an article in Playboy.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 12:19 AM

Wheels, Who told you there were playmates? :)

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 12:54 AM

Weekly Reader. That was a weird one. I recall an issue of WR (we were always given time on Friday to read them) which predicted that the entire United States would be a desert by 1990. Freaked out most of the class. My BS detector was fully developed at an early age though. Of coarse instead of trying to help the freaked out portion of the class cope with their unfounded fears, the rest of us seen it as an opportunity to egg it on.

I remember other uber weird issues of WR. I always thought it was a combination of science fiction, propaganda, and satire. To this day I don't know if it was supposed to be taken seriously. I always looked forward to Weekly Reader.

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 4:55 AM

Rick V, The weekly reader was in the news a while back. http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/pa...

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 12:27 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

Want to comment?

In order to participate in semissourian.com's forums, you must be a registered member of the site. Once registered and logged in, you can post comments to existing threads or post new threads of your own. Click below to register now (it's free!). If you're already registered, just start commenting and posting threads.