Friday, Aug. 22, 2014
Post reply Read replies (23) More threads Create thread

A Tri-fecta
Posted by Dug on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 9:38 AM:

Since Obama's re-election:

Gas prices are going up

Unemployment claims are way up

The Dow Jones is down 1000 points

Looks like four more years of excuses, talk and inexperience. A country wandering in the wilderness with a community organizer at the helm.

Replies

So what does this have to do with Obama?

Gas prices are going up

Unemployment claims are way up

The Dow Jones is down 1000 points

-- Posted by BCStoned on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 10:05 AM

Markets react to confidence - or lack thereof. Are you saying Obama's policies have zero affect on unemployment? Plenty of stories of businesses that will not hire and will reduce employee hours because of Obamacare will not hurt the economy? Or the possibility of higher taxes on business come January 1 won't hurt the economy/unemployment? Or a dollar still on the decline has no cause?

-- Posted by Dug on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 10:15 AM

Dug, So why did you vote for a government that gives the president that much power over business?

-- Posted by BCStoned on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 10:28 AM

BC - one person's opinion on the "fiscal cliff" and affect on the economy and markets.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49836962

-- Posted by Dug on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 10:29 AM

-- Posted by BCStoned on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 10:28 AM

I think I was born into that government. And you hit the nail on the head. NONE of today's political mess would be around IMO if the US government didn't control so much of our lives. If it were weak domestically and couldn't dominate our lives then lobbyists, foreign governments, corporations wouldn't be so involved and the election every 4 years wouldn't be a big deal.

Having said that I do believe that a president can project confidence and help the economy simply by not raising taxes or creating massive government programs. Yes - both parties are guilty of that. But Romney's pledge to repeal Obamacare, to me, was a move in the right direction. Not a move across the finish line but a step toward it - with about 1 million more steps to go. :-)

-- Posted by Dug on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 10:33 AM

Dug, Although I don't vote, it appears that Ron Paul was the only candidate that would limit the power of government over business. His Congressional voting record bears that out.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 10:44 AM

Not to worry, Obama will keep pressing for a tax the rich solution and all problems will be solved.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 10:49 AM

"Gas prices are going up"

So what exactly would be different with gas prices had our election went the other way?

If you are a big believer that Romney would have instilled more "confidence" then wouldn't more confident consumers & businesses be driving/flying more and going forward with hiring, expanding and making new large purchases? All that activity would significantly increase demand for gas which would mean even higher gas prices.

-- Posted by Nil on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 12:13 PM

increase demand for gas which would mean even higher gas prices. -- Posted by Nil on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 12:13 PM

Unless as a candidate you promise to increase permits for energy exploration on federal lands - which the current president has cut dramatically

The real point is the artificial drop in gas prices right up to election day then the sudden rise. Or the sudden drop of unemployment to 7.9% right before the election - and it's return to rising right after the election.

Just facts, nothing else.

-- Posted by Dug on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 12:38 PM

The artificially lower prices on fuel was attributed to Sandy and increased production of domestic oil.

Some in the market, according to CNNM, claim that the US is set to replace Saudi Arabia and Russia as the largest producer of oil.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 12:46 PM

.Rick, Russia is the second largest producer of oil behind Saudi Arabia, and over all is the largest producer of energy in the world.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 1:46 PM

Obama may be reason the market is down. he and the FRB have inflated market prices with handouts, which are no longer needed after the election.

I think the major reason the market is going down is projected future profits from an economy that appears to want to crash next year.

It is a banking failure. There are two reasons for that failure, $trillion student loans that are coming due and malinvestments have not been cleared.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 2:50 PM

Some in the market, according to CNNM, claim that the US is set to replace Saudi Arabia and Russia as the largest producer of oil.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 12:46 PM

I thought the London Exchange Board sets the price of oil, in concert with the New York Exchange. Has this changed?

I DID however note the drop in price just prior to the election. Also, a drop in prices at the grocery store. Playing us like a fiddle is my guess.

Also, because of the Arctic ice melting, the US and Russia are gearing up to tap the resources there I hear.

What's the scoop?

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 7:20 PM

dchannes; Here is the latest from the Daily Reckoning's investment letter. http://dailyreckoning.com/the-ieas-lates...

-- Posted by BCStoned on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 7:49 PM

Russian companies and US companies are swapping drilling rights. Russia might start drilling in the Gulf while the US may start in the Arctic above Russia. I read this a few months ago, so I'm not up to date on events.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 7:54 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

Want to comment?

In order to participate in semissourian.com's forums, you must be a registered member of the site. Once registered and logged in, you can post comments to existing threads or post new threads of your own. Click below to register now (it's free!). If you're already registered, just start commenting and posting threads.