[SeMissourian.com] Overcast ~ 49°F  
River stage: 21.67 ft. Rising
Friday, Apr. 18, 2014
Post reply Read replies (60) More threads Create thread

Voter ID
Posted by Rational.Thought on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 12:22 PM:

Now that the presidential election is over...

Lets work on getting a voter ID system. We have 4 years before the next election to work it out.

I am personally for it. Its time to see if the republicans are really serious about this issue.

Replies

I believe the republicans are serious. It will take a federal act of congress and a president to accomplish this. Eric Holder continually sues every state that even thinks about voter ID. Gonna have to get another party in control of 2/3 of the government to make it happen.

We need it.

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 12:24 PM

Lumber, are you suggesting a national or a state by state program?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 12:26 PM

Dug,

Probably true. But I would like to see an attempt instead of a rush job before an election.

Wheels,

Good question. I think this needs to be a federal issue becasue of interstate commerce. i think there should be some federal standards for records.

Here is how I think it could be done. Use excessive federalism to your advantage. Want an FDIC account? Great. Show us your Federal ID card. Want a first time home buyers lone...Great. How us your FDIC. How about using Obamacare as a way to negotiate a federal. Must have an Federal ID to receive the benefits of Obamacare. Start by tacking to existing federal programs, then try and make it manditory for voting.

-- Posted by Rational.Thought on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 12:38 PM

I believe the republicans are serious. It will take a federal act of congress and a president to accomplish this.

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 12:24 PM

SO much for state's rights...

-- Posted by Dugtard on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 1:07 PM

RT,

I don't know what interstate commerce has to do with correcting vote fraud. We in Missouri, at least in my county, have to present a State issued I.D. along with our voter registration card. This works as far as that part goes. After that, my concern is the dang machines that count votes and the electronic transmission of the results to the SOS office. All VERY hackable.

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 1:40 PM

I think it could be tied to your drivers license. Those who are a minority of citizens who do not have a driver's license can get a State nondriver license/ID card. That is how they handle the concealed carry license.

And if the state is holding your license because you are revoked you either get a nondriver license or you do not vote. Of course we all know you are going to driver your dumb arse to the polls regardless of having a license, so that will not prevent you from getting there to use your nondriver license to vote.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 1:40 PM

Dug,

Don't you think it's better left up to the States? What's the point of having the Feds issue a voter ID mandate? Screw them. It's like asking a pot head to guard the stash.

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 1:43 PM

Wheels,

You are correct. All I'm interested in is making sure dead people and pets don't get to vote.

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 1:44 PM

SO much for state's rights...

-- Posted by Spaniard on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 1:07 PM

Spaniard, neoconservatives wish to centralize everything in Washington. Hitler used centralization in Germany to his benefit. I think neoconservatives are not ignorant of history.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 1:49 PM

RT,

I don't know what interstate commerce has to do with correcting vote fraud.

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 1:40 PM

It doesn't because its two different issues.

Its not a voter ID card. Its a national ID.

-- Posted by Rational.Thought on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 1:53 PM

I think it could be tied to your drivers license. Those who are a minority of citizens who do not have a driver's license can get a State nondriver license/ID card. That is how they handle the concealed carry license.

And if the state is holding your license because you are revoked you either get a nondriver license or you do not vote. Of course we all know you are going to driver your dumb arse to the polls regardless of having a license, so that will not prevent you from getting there to use your nondriver license to vote.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 1:40 PM

I don't like that.

For insistence, California grants drivers licence to Illegal allians.

I think a national ID has to be maintained with national standards.

-- Posted by Rational.Thought on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 1:55 PM

Give every citizen an ID that way when they want to start rounding us up it will make their jobs easier.

Some very old people still carry remnants of Hitler's ID system tatooed on their body.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 1:59 PM

"I think a national ID has to be maintained with national standards."

In the simplest sense, it works like this:

If the federal government issues the ID, such as a military ID, then the federal government sets all the rules for its issuance and appearance.

If the state issues the ID, but the ID is applicable to federally-licensable activities, such as driving on federally-maintained road, the federal government sets minimum standards of compliance, but the state defines the final rules for issuance and appearance.

If the federal government exercises no control over the activity being licensed, then it has no authority to estabish rules for issuance or appearance of the ID.

With that in mind, the federal government exercises some authority over voting requirements for federal office, but none for state or local elections.

States generally find it convenient to use the same standards for all elections, and thus comply with federal guidelines affecting votes for federal office.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 2:16 PM

SO much for state's rights... -- Posted by Spaniard on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 1:07 PM

I agree - the Obama administration has been a disaster on this. So many states try and then the federal government - Eric Holder - sues the state. If Obama and Holder wouldn't usurp the states rights then that would be the path.

Kinda like the Roe v. Wade disaster. It was a state issue until the federal government usurped their rights.

I'm just talking in a practical sense - you'll never get this to work with democrats at the federal level.

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 2:53 PM

RT,

You didn't answer my question. You said: "Good question. I think this needs to be a federal issue becasue of interstate commerce. i think there should be some federal standards for records."

The way I understand the point you are trying to make is that you think in order to vote we should have a national ID card "because of interstate commerce".

My question is what the heck, if anything, does interstate commerce have to do with Fed ID OR vote fraud?

It's not a different issue. The whole purpose for ID is to prevent vote fraud.

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 3:37 PM

Roe vs. Wade; 5 of the 6 Republican Supreme Court appointees supported it. Roe vs. Wade is a Republican decision, not Democrat.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 3:38 PM

"Lets work on getting a voter ID system."

What is new? When I registered to vote in Bollinger County, I received a voter ID card, and have carried it to each election and showed it prior to voting. Where is the problem?

The simplest solution is to continue as is, for all registered voters, and when someone registers to vote for the first time, or in a new locale, issue him or her a voter card with a photo on it.

This will gradually convert all ID's to photo ID without disenfranchising anyone.

Since duplicate voting (because of no photo ID) is such a miniscule problem, even the republicans could agree.

Other types of voting fraud (unrelated to photo ID's) such as false registration or absentee voting need to continue to be minimized and eliminated also.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 4:05 PM

" Other types of voting fraud (unrelated to photo ID's) such as false registration or absentee voting need to continue to be minimized and eliminated also.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 4:05 PM"

I'll agree with this except for military personnel not in the country or home-bound or handicapped individuals with doctor sign-off.

In Texas County, they ask for your voter card and then your picture ID. This doesn't bother me in the least.

The thing that bothers me the most is the electronification of the vote tallying and transmission. That is the part of the whole thing that's the most vulnerable.

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 4:36 PM

"I think a national ID has to be maintained with national standards."

In the simplest sense, it works like this:

If the federal government issues the ID, such as a military ID, then the federal government sets all the rules for its issuance and appearance.

If the state issues the ID, but the ID is applicable to federally-licensable activities, such as driving on federally-maintained road, the federal government sets minimum standards of compliance, but the state defines the final rules for issuance and appearance.

If the federal government exercises no control over the activity being licensed, then it has no authority to estabish rules for issuance or appearance of the ID.

With that in mind, the federal government exercises some authority over voting requirements for federal office, but none for state or local elections.

States generally find it convenient to use the same standards for all elections, and thus comply with federal guidelines affecting votes for federal office.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 2:16 PM

The voting standards are messed as well.

-- Posted by Rational.Thought on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 4:56 PM

I am not understanding the consensus here.

People want a Voter ID, but yet don't want ID cards.

I am confused by this double standard.

-- Posted by Rational.Thought on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 4:58 PM

You're just confused I think.

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 5:04 PM

There's no voter fraud..........

http://watchdogwire.com/florida/2012/11/...

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 6:11 PM

Wow...141% turnout. Cool.

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 6:21 PM

It seems the Ohio woman who voted six times for Mr. Obama has been convicted of felony vote fraud.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130...

"Melowese Richardson, 58, of Madisonville pleaded no contest to four counts of illegal voting -- including voting three times for a relative who has been in a coma since 2003 -- in exchange for prosecutors dropping four other illegal voting charges. Common Pleas Court Judge Robert Ruehlman immediately convicted her, making her a felon.

"A poll worker from 1998 until being fired this year, Richardson admitted she voted illegally in the 2008, 2011 and 2012 elections."

"She's the third person in Hamilton County to be convicted this year for illegal voting."

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, May 30, 2013, at 3:12 PM

"A poll worker from 1998..."

She was a poll worker with apparent access to absentee ballots, which she is said to have used to vote illegally.

She probably had a photo ID, but with absentee ballots, the photo is irrelevant. That's what I've been saying all along, illegal voting is not enabled by lack of picture ID's, it's by other means, like absentee ballots.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Jun 1, 2013, at 9:39 AM

She probably had a photo ID, but with absentee ballots, the photo is irrelevant. That's what I've been saying all along, illegal voting is not enabled by lack of picture ID's, it's by other means, like absentee ballots.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Jun 1, 2013, at 9:39 AM

What you been saying all along Common is there is no significant illegal voting........ which is far from true.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jun 1, 2013, at 9:43 AM

More identification papers? Sounds like another good reason not to vote.

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Sun, Jun 2, 2013, at 6:08 AM

No, that's not what you've said all along. What you've said all along is that it doesn't happen. It does.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sun, Jun 2, 2013, at 8:10 AM

Why don't they brand a number on a potential voter's arm?

Without a picture ID I don't know who I am, so I don't vote.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Sun, Jun 2, 2013, at 8:36 AM

BC,

I was thinking more of branding them on the right cheek of their a$$.... but then those that vote for a living would wear that off sitting on the couch watching their big flat screen TVs and they still would get to vote.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Jun 2, 2013, at 9:28 AM

Wheels,

I'm with you.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Sun, Jun 2, 2013, at 9:57 AM

"No, that's not what you've said all along."

Actually it is. I have agreed that fraud relating to registration and absentee ballots does occur and should be eliminated. I do not believe that voting more than once, in person, enabled by the absense of a photo ID law is a problem.

The example from Ohio had nothing to do with photo ID's as she voted by absentee ballot.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Mon, Jun 3, 2013, at 7:40 AM

Diss,

Common is big on probably's where the Leftist Dingbat's agenda is concerned and he is trying to spin it to make it sound better.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jun 3, 2013, at 4:12 PM

12/28/12: TENNESSEE: voter impersonation, double voting

"District 4 Election Commissioner Carl Payne reported an incident in which "a father cast an absentee ballot, the son voted in person and then the son changes clothes and returned to vote as his father. We learned of this from a written statement from the poll manager." Among other cases reported by Payne (who was defeated Nov. 6 by Sissie Ferguson): A voter came to cast a ballot, gave a name that was on the poll book, signed the receipt book and was allowed to vote. Another person using the same name came to vote later that day, "and was informed he'd already voted. The second person provided proof of identity," Payne reported. Also, a voter cast a ballot in person at the proper precinct -- and then prepared a provisional ballot, including a sworn affidavit, at another precinct." Henry Bailey, Potential voter fraud in DeSoto turned over to investigators, The Commercial Appeal, Dec. 20, 2012.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Jun 3, 2013, at 4:24 PM

11/29/12: MINNESOTA: voter impersonation

"A Cottage Grove man told police Nov. 6 that someone had committed voter fraud by signing his name at a polling place, making it impossible for him to vote. The incident was being investigated." Cottage Grove police reports for Nov. 29: Drugs, suspicious activity, voter fraud, burglary, South Washington County Bulletin, Nov. 29, 2012.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Jun 3, 2013, at 4:27 PM

So your examples prove my point. As I have said all along, concerning the rarity of duplicate voting being an extremely minor problem. I've always agreed that it is not a matter of zero instances, but virtually every other example given involves registration or absentee ballots.

Two instances of fraud out of about 100 million votes, how can we put up with such a blatant attempt to swing a national election.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Mon, Jun 3, 2013, at 5:22 PM

Been reading without comment until now. There's a problem but no real solution but common thinks fraud isn't a problem at all. Small percentage,let it go. If your the only one robbed in town that's not enough to make it a crime? Just a small percentage. We saw how close it came in Bush vs Dole in Florida. I bet you were squalling then. What if,common,what if? Or as one of your idols said,what difference does it make? Maybe the leadership of the nation.

-- Posted by bothedog on Mon, Jun 3, 2013, at 6:08 PM

"...came in Bush vs Dole in Florida."

Actually I would have favored Dole in that contest.

I really do know what you meant....

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Mon, Jun 3, 2013, at 6:27 PM

I favored neither one(Bush v Dole) both incompetents. I never figured out who was the least worst so abstained. I do think Dole got screwed in Florida. With Obama,no doubt the incompetent. Even Bubba Clinton agrees. "Amateur".

-- Posted by bothedog on Mon, Jun 3, 2013, at 7:02 PM

"...when a fee will have to be paid before a citizen is allowed to vote."

That seems like a wish straight out of republican heaven...

Why should those poor people be allowed to vote.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Mon, Jun 3, 2013, at 7:13 PM

"...when a fee will have to be paid before a citizen is allowed to vote."

That would offer another program for liberals to take money from the working class to pay the fees of the poor to vote their way. :)

I'm with Diss on this one thinking that sure ain't the talking the points you were using a while back regarding voter ID.

A good politition these days says a whole lot of things so he can claim later he was for or against as the situation suits.

Common is relying on a whole lot of previous spinning. Common, are you spinning your spinning?

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jun 3, 2013, at 7:32 PM

Common is relying on a whole lot of previous spinning. Common, are you spinning your spinning?

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jun 3, 2013, at 7:32 PM

Common has spun himself into a rut. Almost sad to read. Almost.

-- Posted by bothedog on Mon, Jun 3, 2013, at 8:33 PM

Maybe I should post this in the Funny Friday thread but it seems so appropriate here for common,who just can't pay attention and claims to be a student and farmer:

>>

>>

>>

>> THE DEAD COW LECTURE

>>

>> This is the best example for paying attention that I have ever heard.

>>

>> First-year students at the Purdue Vet School were attending their first anatomy class with a real dead cow. They all gathered around the surgery table with the body covered with a white sheet.

>>

>> The professor started the class by telling them, "In Veterinary medicine it is necessary to have two important qualities as a doctor. The first is that you not be disgusted by anything involving the animal's body. " For an example, the professor pulled back the sheet, stuck his finger in the butt of the cow, withdrew it, and stuck his finger in his mouth.

>>

>> "Go ahead and do the same thing," he told his students. The students freaked out, hesitated for several minutes, but eventually took turns sticking a finger in the butt of the dead cow and sucking on it.

>>

>> When everyone finished, the Professor looked at them and said, "The second most important quality is observation. I stuck my middle finger in the cow and sucked on my index finger. Now learn to pay attention. Life's tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid."

>

-- Posted by bothedog on Mon, Jun 3, 2013, at 8:40 PM

I use my drivers licenses today. No bid deal...... Of coarse if you are an illegal or double voting it may be a problem.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Jun 4, 2013, at 5:24 PM

Why Obama must be impeached, and why no neoconservative should be elected as president:

MP George Galloway on Syria

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/ar...

The Bush/Obama noble lie is just that, a lie.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Tue, Jun 4, 2013, at 5:38 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

Want to comment?

In order to participate in semissourian.com's forums, you must be a registered member of the site. Once registered and logged in, you can post comments to existing threads or post new threads of your own. Click below to register now (it's free!). If you're already registered, just start commenting and posting threads.