Thanksgiving -- blessings and traditions

Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 6:15 AM:

And a Happpy Thanksgiving to all!

Replies

"Thanks" to the SE Missourian for "Giving" us this forum and opportunity to cuss and discuss ideas.

And Happy Thanksgiving to all as well.

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 7:21 AM

Yes indeed, a very Happy Thanksgiving to all who opine here and everywhere....still out here too Me'lange. Enjoy the Holiday

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 3:39 PM
  • I am thankful for:

1) my faith in God and the comfort He brings me(Sorry to those who don't know this comfort.)

2) my family who brings me such joy.

3) my good health and the health of my family.

4) my friends.

5) my freedom and the right to express my opinions whatever they may be.

6) the warmth and shelter of my home especially on a cold winter's night.

and so much more than words can say here.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!

-- Posted by whoknows? on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 4:59 PM

My cousins, my brother, and me used to hunt rabbits after the big feast. The adults would drink homemade wine and play pitch.

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 6:37 PM
  • Happy Thanksgiving to all of my fellow bloggers enjoy your families, a good meal and stay safe.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Wed, Nov 21, 2012, at 8:25 AM

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Wed, Nov 21, 2012, at 6:31 AM

Why bring politics and a "glass half empty" attitude into this thread?

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Nov 21, 2012, at 8:59 AM
  • I have learned to appreciate the increased entertainment factor of the threads during the holiday season! :)

Have a great Thanksgiving all!

Old John asked..."So what's the best part of Thanksgiving?"

Taking a more time than usual to identify what I have to be thankful for.

If you meant food, like children, love all the basics the same: turkey, mash potatoes, gravy, olives, stuffing, deviled eggs, sweet potatoes, pumpkin and pecan pie, cool whip

Dug, Really? Spoiling a Thanksgiving thread with politial crap. You should be so proud.

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Thu, Nov 24, 2011, at 4:13 AM

:):):)

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Nov 21, 2012, at 1:04 PM

Technically, isn't the holiday of Thanksgiving a creation of politics?

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Wed, Nov 21, 2012, at 1:14 PM

Although it shouldn't be necessary, I am thankful for the reminder to be thankful. Life definitely throws curve balls and most of my challenges are self induced. However many people have crossed my path, and for the most part I've passed a few of the tests I've been presented. Yes, I have much to be thankful for. God Bless.

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Wed, Nov 21, 2012, at 1:21 PM
  • BC just drive around a mile or two and you can solve the lack of possum problem. Can't take more than 5 or 10 mins. Might even get one or two of those possums on the half shell.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Wed, Nov 21, 2012, at 1:42 PM

Dug, Really? Spoiling a Thanksgiving thread with politial crap. You should be so proud. -- Posted by Me'Lange on Thu, Nov 24, 2011, at 4:13 AM :):):) -- Posted by Old John on Wed, Nov 21, 2012, at 1:04 PM

Did I miss something? Or is that the :):):)? :-)

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Nov 21, 2012, at 4:43 PM
  • Dug, I guess it must of been some of the political crap on one of the other threads that brought on the scolding this year.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Nov 21, 2012, at 4:48 PM

I was scratching my head over that one, myself.

To be sure, it was M'Lange that first broached the 'political crap' with her 6:31 AM post.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 21, 2012, at 4:53 PM

Dug, I guess it must of been some of the political crap on one of the other threads that brought on the scolding this year. -- Posted by Old John on Wed, Nov 21, 2012, at 4:48 PM

Ahh yes. I remember that now - on another thread! :-)

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Nov 21, 2012, at 5:01 PM
  • Me'Lange, I'm not sure where the magic went, maybe the traffic, the store crowds and the stress forecoming of holiday cheer, just don't see it anymore.

I have fond memories of a big gathering of a large family where our place was the site of many adults and children, some enjoying reunion of long time no see and everyone treated to what we still declare the best food ever.

Looking back we thought we were doing so well, we had the blessings so many had yet achieved and we were thankful indeed despite our short comings as a perfect family.

One of my talents I remember as special was the ability to stuff myself with all the delights and return to do it again before the adults finished dessert.:)

So many of us look at a comfortable home, plenty to eat and modern convienences with little contemplation of how much we are indeed blessed.

With the risk of being political, we had less and were happier back then than the average food stamp recipient of today.

I do wish you and all a Thanksgiving to remember fondly!

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Nov 21, 2012, at 8:17 PM

Happy Thanksgiving Me'Lange and all.

-- Posted by 356 on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 7:03 AM
  • Have a wonderful Thanksgiving yourself! Enjoy the coffee!

-- Posted by ssnkemp on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 7:35 AM

Happy Turkey Day!!

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 8:35 AM

Nowadays we eat, and root for whoever is playing the Cowboys.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 10:17 AM

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 10:17 AM

I thought we were the only ones that rooted for any team playing against the Cowboys. :-)

I guess it's an old Cardinals rivalry thing?

-- Posted by Dug on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 11:07 AM

Life is good;

Belly is full;

Family is gone;

Work is done;

I am thankful that another year has come and gone and we are all still together and able to celebrate that accomplishment.

-- Posted by Robert* on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 5:24 PM
  • I started with a small dish of oats, mid-morning snack was a bologna sandwich. All three of us [me, myself and I] did exactly as we pleased. No big meal to take two days to get over, no big mess to clean up and no one to impress.

My only chore still undone is feeding she who must be obeyed when she gets home.

A nice day it was!

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 7:29 PM

OLD JOHN: Yes, thankfully, my day was equally-uneventful. I had FOUR, though: Me, Myself, I, and my-version of "She Who Must Be Obeyed".

(For three of us☺),Dinner was as follows:

ONE-turkey laig.

THREE-tbsp. dressing, w/gravy.

A small fistful of cranberry sauce, w/two or three ACTUAL-berries in it!

And, my-own personal 2-liter bottle of Diet 7UP.

After all was said-and-done, we retired to the enclosed front-porch---her making the cats perform for scraps, and 'us other three' preparing to savor a Macanudo-cigar.

One of us handed the 'gar to the other-one.

The other-one of us had the lighter.

The third-one of us put the cigar in his mouth, and fell-asleep before either of the other-two could light it.

Yep. MY/OUR kind of day...!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 7:59 PM

I had a great Thanksgiving also. Mom's cooking was superior as usual. I ate too much as usual. My uncle learned how to make wine, and shared. The kids ran around outside all afternoon.

AND THE COWBOYS LOST!!!

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 9:42 PM
  • It was a beautiful day and I'm thankful of that. I think you get the day you want (or so it seems). I'm staying home tomorrow and having another beautiful day. : ) Hope you all are as well.

-- Posted by Sandyhook on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 9:45 PM
  • How would pilgrims rate

what we today of this date

consider important to celebrate?

Pleased perhaps, perhaps berate,

such a holiday declared by state.

For thanks to God was their relate.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 10:21 PM

Excellent day with family playing with children from 8 months up; mom in her 90's still enjoying her life and family, a real treasure, lots for which to be thankful.

-- Posted by 356 on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 10:47 PM
  • 356, I was slow to grow up and didn't realize the blessing I had in a mom that reared eight of us with such sacrifice of herself. That great cooking was taken for granite until I married the daughter of a great cook that didn't cook and neither did I! :)

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Nov 23, 2012, at 12:07 AM

Old John, I was a lot the same and didn't appreciate my mom as much as I should. Thankfully she taught us all to cook, but my wife is an excellent cook, so I lucked out there.

-- Posted by 356 on Fri, Nov 23, 2012, at 6:39 AM

I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe holiday weekend. ☺

-- Posted by Turnip on Mon, Nov 26, 2012, at 11:43 AM

Buffalo tongue? Do you enjoy making my stomach turn? btw, you could waddle your ars around the block a few times, work some of that off. ☺

-- Posted by Turnip on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 8:27 AM

Something tells me, your neighbors may already have that impression!!!! :o)~

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 1:09 PM

Rick,

Someone told me an old remedy is to cut the top and bottom off of an onion and place it in a plate. Put several around the house. Onions draw bacteria and should always be used fresh. Never save an onion that has been partially used to eat later unless you are going to really cook it thoroughly.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 3:02 PM

Yuck. I already had strep about a month ago. That was horrible. First and hopefully last time. I hope you are feeling better today! ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 12:47 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: