[SeMissourian.com] Fair ~ 81°F  
River stage: 15.65 ft. Falling
Wednesday, May 6, 2015
Post reply Read replies (17) More threads Create thread

Puerto Ricans opt for statehood in referendum
Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 12:24 PM:

Isn't this repeated every few years?

Replies

Do Puerto Ricans currently pay federal income taxes to the U.S.?

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 2:02 PM

Puerto Ricans pay most federal taxes. Income taxes are a bit different as a PR citizen who has no non PR income can avoid paying the IRS.... although they instead pay a PR specific commonwealth income tax.

Considering the median household income is only 18k, it isn't like they would bring in much additional tax income. They will always be a welfare territory or welfare state regardless of their status.

PR will not become a state because of that vast economic disparity and also in large part because no Republican congressmen is going to want to admit a state that is likely to be as reliably Democratic as Washington D.C. is.

-- Posted by Nil on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 2:16 PM

No. We acquired Puerto Rico during the Spanish-American War.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 3:42 PM

They would be much better off just claiming theirselves as illegal aliens on american soul. More entitlements that way. I'm sure the obama administration would welcome them to the trough.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 4:12 PM

As best I remember from my History classes, we backed Cuban independence (for whatever reason I don't know). When the USS Maine was sunk, we declared war on spain and sought to deprive them of their overseas territories. We acquired Puerto Rico, the Philippines, and Guam as a result of the war.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 5:01 PM

Did Obama bow to the Philippino and Puerto Rico leaders on his appology tour. Did he even fly over Guam and tip the wings of Air Force One?

Regarding Cuba, I think it it time to unleash the powers of American capitolism to bring down the regime there. End the embargo.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 5:33 PM

"End the embargo."

I reckon the embargo will end the day Fidel Castro dies.

I think it has outlived its usefulness, but repealing it while Fidel lives will be seen as handing him a victory, methinks.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Nov 9, 2012, at 8:30 AM

Puerto Ricans saw the video with the "Obamaphone" lady and said "¿Me estás tomando el pelo? ¡Qué gran pa's!"

Or

"Are you kidding me? What a great country!".

-- Posted by Dug on Fri, Nov 9, 2012, at 9:49 AM

"I am not sure if the is anything left in Cuba worth trading for , it is about on the same level as Haiti ."

They still have great cigars, shirts, and music...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Nov 9, 2012, at 9:52 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration:

Want to comment?

In order to participate in semissourian.com's forums, you must be a registered member of the site. Once registered and logged in, you can post comments to existing threads or post new threads of your own. Click below to register now (it's free!). If you're already registered, just start commenting and posting threads.