Puerto Ricans opt for statehood in referendum

Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 12:24 PM:

Isn't this repeated every few years?

Replies

• Do Puerto Ricans currently pay federal income taxes to the U.S.?

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 2:02 PM
  • Puerto Ricans pay most federal taxes. Income taxes are a bit different as a PR citizen who has no non PR income can avoid paying the IRS.... although they instead pay a PR specific commonwealth income tax.

Considering the median household income is only 18k, it isn't like they would bring in much additional tax income. They will always be a welfare territory or welfare state regardless of their status.

PR will not become a state because of that vast economic disparity and also in large part because no Republican congressmen is going to want to admit a state that is likely to be as reliably Democratic as Washington D.C. is.

-- Posted by Nil on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 2:16 PM

No. We acquired Puerto Rico during the Spanish-American War.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 3:42 PM
  • They would be much better off just claiming theirselves as illegal aliens on american soul. More entitlements that way. I'm sure the obama administration would welcome them to the trough.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 4:12 PM

As best I remember from my History classes, we backed Cuban independence (for whatever reason I don't know). When the USS Maine was sunk, we declared war on spain and sought to deprive them of their overseas territories. We acquired Puerto Rico, the Philippines, and Guam as a result of the war.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 5:01 PM
  • Did Obama bow to the Philippino and Puerto Rico leaders on his appology tour. Did he even fly over Guam and tip the wings of Air Force One?

Regarding Cuba, I think it it time to unleash the powers of American capitolism to bring down the regime there. End the embargo.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 5:33 PM

You can pretty much bet those voting for statehood have visions of join the 47% or whatever % the takers have reached.

I don't think we need any more dependants at this point in history.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 6:22 PM

"End the embargo."

I reckon the embargo will end the day Fidel Castro dies.

I think it has outlived its usefulness, but repealing it while Fidel lives will be seen as handing him a victory, methinks.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Nov 9, 2012, at 8:30 AM

Puerto Ricans saw the video with the "Obamaphone" lady and said "¿Me estás tomando el pelo? ¡Qué gran pa's!"

Or

"Are you kidding me? What a great country!".

-- Posted by Dug on Fri, Nov 9, 2012, at 9:49 AM

"I am not sure if the is anything left in Cuba worth trading for , it is about on the same level as Haiti ."

They still have great cigars, shirts, and music...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Nov 9, 2012, at 9:52 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: