Speak Out: THINK...

Posted by Rick Vandeven on Mon, Oct 29, 2012, at 6:11 PM:

Buck Owens

Replies (48)

• RV, Did you stop off at the round a bout again or are you just in a Hee Haw mood? :)

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Oct 29, 2012, at 6:21 PM
  • OJ,

i just thought I would post something positive. Buck Owens and His Buckaroos made a lot of music that I enjoy. An ice cold Stag, a pipeful of Fireside, and some Buck Owens on the radio makes me happy.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Mon, Oct 29, 2012, at 6:38 PM
  • .Rick,

That's gonna be a big box for me to fit in. I better just live awhile longer. Maybe I'll shrink.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Mon, Oct 29, 2012, at 6:48 PM
  • RV they make those boxes in a variety of sizes. When my dad was a funeral director they had to order one near the size of a grand piano case. It wouldn't fit in the hearse so he made his last ride in the back of a pickup.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Mon, Oct 29, 2012, at 7:24 PM
  • RV, I still have a pretty good collection of LPs from the later '50s and '60s and the old console player works well. Nothing like a little Sam Cook or Ozark Mountain Dare Devils and a fashionable [in these parts] adult beverage to mellow out to.

Sweet tea that is! :)

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Oct 29, 2012, at 7:27 PM
  • Mow, I guess you've heard them all; People are dieing to do business with the undertaker, etc.

Rick, I like a lot of the Beatles stuff, most of it was remake of Chubby Checker, Little Richard and a lot of other old stuff.

RV, Pine or cedar?

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Oct 29, 2012, at 8:03 PM
  • OJ,

When I buy the farm it would be in everyone's best interest that I am cremated. Then I will fit in a five gallon bucket.

Speaking of the Beatles, they had an appreciation of Buck Owens also. They were contemporaries. "Act Naturally" was reverently covered on Rubber Soul.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Mon, Oct 29, 2012, at 9:24 PM
  • RV, I have Rubber Soul and will have to play that next time. Now that you mention it, I think I like the Buck Owens version best.

Kind of funny how it works..Roy Clark in my opinion was a better guitarist than Eric Clapton but most of today's crowd would say 'Roy Who?'.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Oct 29, 2012, at 9:35 PM
  • Roy is an excellent musician, and I agree that he is a much better guitarist than "Slowhand". Clark also popularized dual lead guitars, and was very influential to the Allman Bros and Thin Lizzy.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 5:26 AM
  • Be careful, you all are revealing your age.

-- Posted by Robert* on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 5:39 AM
  • -- Posted by Me'Lange on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 5:54 AM

It's a shame that you started a positive posting with a negative comment. It's not that tough.

Amazing the quality TV we used to watch and enjoy with only 3-4 stations and just 1/2 hour of news at 6 and at 10. Ahhhhh.... those were the days.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 9:53 AM
  • Rick yes they did, "I'm a pickin and I'm a grinnin." As a kid I dreamed of playing that red, white and blue guitar Roy had. Hee Haw is actually on RFD TV now on Sunday evenings.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 2:27 PM
  • Mowrangler,

You can buy the famous Buck Owens red, white, and blue flat top or the Tele here...

http://www.buckowens.com/store_guitars.html

Actually not bad prices considering they are real Fenders.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 4:01 PM
  • RV I'd just have to hang it on the wall. Never could get the hang of playing one.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 4:13 PM
  • What's for supper?

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 6:10 PM
  • Me'Lange, Very interesting, but not funny. :)

FFF, Grandpa Jones offered an important lessen in the power of adjectives.

~~

Archie invented "spoonerisms" and Rindecellar slopped her dripper.

Mow, I like the oldie channels, Carol Burnett and others gave us a lot of good laughs without getting into the gutter and a good mistery/drama didn't always hinge on murder.

Rick, My sister was an extreme Beetles fan and got over it. She gave me her LP collection. I didn't like Elvis or the Beetles back then but now I do like some of each.

I wonder what the nightly rate for a stay at the Empty Arms Hotel is now days.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 6:42 PM
  • I wonder what the nightly rate for a stay at the Empty Arms Hotel is now days.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 6:42 PM

Old John,

If you are speaking of the one there in what was Lutesville... it has been torn down some time ago. :-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 6:50 PM
  • Rick, I think that was Pettycoat Junction. It was kind of neat how those shows spun off one another. The character of Uncle Joe might have been based on a real life fellow reared near Glennon Missouri later gone to the city to do well.

The rudabaker festival was wide spread. Lisa and Mr. Douglas could fit right in with Mr. Kimmel booking the Hooterville express.

The Hillbillys were from parts unknown, maybe the Appalacians, but later were from around Branson, Bugtussle I think. The old car they drove is in a museum there.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 7:23 PM
  • The Beatles were the best band of all time.

-- Posted by donacita on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 7:33 PM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 7:23 PM

There is one in every crowd.... every crowd I tell you!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 7:34 PM
  • CBS was always getting flak for their cornprone programming of the 60's: Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, Andy Grffith, Hee Haw... ironic that those shows are considered classics now. Corny is timeless!

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 7:43 PM
  • And rock n roll is rooted in hillbilly. Buddy Holly, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Little Richard Carl Perkins.... all hillbillies. I am especially fond of Carl Perkins. Even Chuck Berry and Ike Turner were borderline hillbillies.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 7:48 PM
  • This part of the world is the birthplace of rock n roll

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 7:49 PM
  • Wheels, I was just seeing if you were paying attention. I may have had you confused with Windy W. Do you play harmonica? :)

RV, Who would have known Tim Conway was doing an impression of a future me with the grandpa shuffle?

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 7:57 PM
  • Old John,

I only play one instrument... and we ain't going there tonight. ;-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 8:23 PM
  • Rick,

I'm thinking I better leave well enough alone. :-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 9:35 PM
  • Rick, actually I cannot play a note.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 9:37 PM
  • Me'Lange. The night chicago died! We played the first part of that through the mega speakers in my Cuda right behind the city cop and woke him up!

Those were the days. Blood rock DOA and a bunch of songs I enjoyed, never listening to or comprehending the words, just riding through the dessert on a horse with no name while things in the world were happening.

Yeah I overstayed my time in growing up.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 9:57 PM
  • I am so confused. The title of this thread is Think.

Suddenly something hit me that did not compute earlier.

Someone on here once said they were like 50 or so years old.

Somone on her said they wore poodle skirts and like accessories,

Then I got to thinking.... my wife wore poodle skirts and those other accessories when we were in high school.

My wife has been married for over 55 years.

My wife has a 51 and a 53 year old daughter. Never ever did I see either of them in poodle skirts and related accessories. I may have had to turn them around on their way out the door a time or two to have them dress more to my standards, but poodle skirts down to your ankles was not the case.

Maybe I am loosing my mind, but I am still confused.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 7:32 PM
  • Wheels, The poodle skirts evolved [Did you see the movie "Grease"?] They kinda went away as "Lipstick on your collar" came in. They were out there in the '50s but some old codgers couldn't see past proper dress of more appropriate victorian fashion. :) :) :)

Me"lange, I always enjoyed Dean Martin but I never considered him rythem and blues. While the Porter Wagner crowd was defining the steel guitar, so many new facets of popular style came about it was hard to choose a particular loyalty in choice of music. America had evolved into a new melting pot of tunes during that time. Rock and roll was yet to be defined and put into a catagory of it's own and the southern blues blended with a distintly different influence of the good time clubs in the northeast.

Meanwhile, TV brought a new interest in the rise to fame in the music business.

I can't say I have a favorite except in the moment when I'm listening to so many different types of music.

Dean Martin and Johnny Cash were certianly among those I wished I could impersonate.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 8:08 PM
  • Regarding your Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 8:21 PM

"I would like to watch Johnny re-runs."

I didn't record any of my antics back then so there ain't any reruns! :)

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 8:23 PM
  • Rut Roe MeLange,

I did miss that post... sorry about that. I kept looking at the poodle skirt thing and kept wondering, why in hell would anybody in their 50's be wearing poodle skirts, even for a halloween party. I knew there was nowhere in real time America that was that far behind. But at least it makes sense now.

I guess Old John caused me to become confused last night. Have to blame it on someone, because there couldn't be anything wrong with me, wrong with me, wrong with me.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 10:48 PM
  • When was it that the old hard brittle records were replaced with vynal?

Wheels, We all know Me'Lange is 39, as am I. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 11:11 PM
  • Wheels, We all know Me'Lange is 39, as am I. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 11:11 PM

Well then the answer is.... before you were born.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 11:19 PM
  • I used to have a button that read "It's Frank Sinatra's World, We Just Live in It". Not that I was a fan, it was an irony thing. Like that Duran Duran t shirt I uses to wear.

I read a comment from the founder of one of my favorite contemporary bands, Drive-by Truckers. He said it was cool to hate Lynryd Skynryd and other popular artists when he was young, but he got over it, and has embraced them now instead. I hated my Pop's Buck Owens and Herb Albert records. Love them now. Guess I am not "cool" anymore either.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Thu, Nov 1, 2012, at 5:27 AM
  • My Pop had some "cool" records too though... Cream, Beatles, Beach Boys, CCR, etc.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Thu, Nov 1, 2012, at 5:29 AM
  • My Pop's best record was "Ventures Gold" though. Not so much for the music (which was great), but the cover. Va va voom!

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Thu, Nov 1, 2012, at 5:31 AM
  • Yeah, now Rick has to wear a hard hat in any room with a ceiling fan. ;-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Nov 1, 2012, at 10:47 AM
  • Herb Albert and his tiajw, make that Mexican Brass, at one time gave free concerts at schools.

Whipped Cream is one title I remember.

Me'Lange, Don't get upset for my asking and you don't have to answer. When you say "significant other", is that a polite way of saying you were not married, or is it just a PC term you favor?

I too can count the live concerts I have attended. A couple of the best was the Alabama Wild man and Reba. The statler Bros rate up there too.

I've kicked myself many times for missing Red Skelton and Bob Hope at the Show Me Center.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 1, 2012, at 5:36 PM
  • Me'Lange, So your still a youngster. :)

"Never cared for Dad's country LP collection.."

Was "Boney Fingers in there somewhere? :)

I borrowed Mom's car one time, went to Leopold that night and the dang thing threw a loose rod through the block on the way home. Walked about 5 miles under a full moon with a Credance Clearwater Revival song stuck in my head. And some old guy went by losing a manifold heater part that bounced off the pavement, darn near hit me!

It was a bad moon arising.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 1, 2012, at 7:17 PM
  • Never had the opportunity to attend that many concerts of any type music.

The one that sticks in my mind was a Roger Whittaker Concert we attended in Canada many years ago. The song I still hear from that concert was "The Last Farewell".

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 9:59 AM
  • -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:10 PM
  • No Black Oak Arkansas?

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:58 PM
  • The Beach Boys were great. I even like some of their 70's material: "Disney Girls", "Until I Die", " Sail On Sailor", "The Trader" "Long Travelled Road"... Dennis Wilson had a terrific lost classic, Pacific Ocean Blue, that rivaled anything big brother Brian wrote. It still stands as the best selling solo release by any of the Beach Boys. RIP Dennis and Carl Wilson.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 6:42 PM
  • My Pops saw the Beach Boys at the Sikeston High School gym in 1968. That was the same night the big church burned down.

I saw the Beach Boys in 1993 at Duquin State Fair.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 6:49 PM
  • I have also been told that I saw the Beach Boys at the SEMO Dist Fair in 1975. I don't remember that show though.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 6:53 PM
  • "Elvis died in the Army." - John Lennon

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Sat, Nov 3, 2012, at 6:09 AM
  • Anyone remember the Super Jams at St Louis? The biggest I attended was the Ozark Music Festival in Sedalia.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Nov 3, 2012, at 9:34 AM

Respond to this thread