Speak Out: RIP Russell Means

Posted by Rick Vandeven on Mon, Oct 22, 2012, at 11:58 AM:

"Russell Means never shunned attention. Whether leading Native Americans in railing against broken federal treaties, appearing in a Hollywood blockbuster or advocating a sovereign American Indian nation within U.S. borders, the activist who helped lead the 1973 uprising at Wounded Knee reveled in the spotlight."

http://news.yahoo.com/russell-means-indian-activist-actor-dies-72-134116186.html

Replies (2)

• It's too bad. He was still fairly young. I never met the man but I did meet Chief Leonard Crowdog. I was more impressed by what Russel spoke of than Leonard. He was a true leader of his people as far as I could tell.

Doreen met and spoke with Russel in D.C. at a rally where they both were speakers a couple years back. She ask him some questions about the Sioux Nation's plans and was impressed by his answers. She said, "He was regal in his bearing. He was a big man, too. You could tell he was angry, but he was in control."

So yes, rest in peace now, Chief Russel. Well done.

-- Posted by dchannes on Mon, Oct 22, 2012, at 12:21 PM
  • Amein. .Rick., I don't know what you said, just a few words, but I feel what you say.

From a white man...I say, all my relatives...salute you with blurry eyes, Chief Russel.

-- Posted by dchannes on Mon, Oct 22, 2012, at 8:09 PM

Respond to this thread