Speak Out: As We Go Marching

Posted by Rick Vandeven on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 11:28 AM:

"When you can put your finger on the men or the groups that urge for America the debt-supported state, the state bent on the socialization of investment and bureaucratic government of industry and society, the establishment of the institution of militarism as the great glamorous public-works project of the nation and the institution of imperialism under which it proposes to regulate and rule the world and, along with this, proposes to alter the forms of government to approach as closely as possible the unrestrained, absolute government - then you will know you have located the authentic fascist.

"Fascism will come at the hands of the perfectly authentic Americans...who are convinced that the present economic system is washed up...and who wish to commit this country to the rule of the the bureaucratic state; interfering in the affairs of the states and cities; taking part in the management of industry and finance and agriculture; assuming the role of great national banker and investor, borrowing billions every year and spending them on all sorts of projects through which such a government can paralyze opposition and command public support; marshaling great armies and navies at crushing costs to support the industry of war which will become our greatest industry; and adding to all this the most romantic adventures in global planning, regeneration, and domination all to be done under the authority of a powerfully centralized government in which the executive will hold in effect all the powers with Congress reduced to the role of a debating society. There is your fascist. And the sooner America realizes this dreadful fact the sooner it will arm itself to make an end of American fascism masquerading under the guise of the champion of democracy."

John T Flynn

"As We Go Marching"

Replies (13)

• One industry that is under facsist control is agriculture. Farming is a private industry ran by the government that states what and when and how to plant and how much is to paid for the produce.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 1:51 PM
  • "interfering in the affairs of the states and cities; taking part in the management of industry and finance and agriculture; assuming the role of great national banker and investor, borrowing billions every year and spending them on all sorts of projects through which such a government can paralyze opposition and command public support;"

This sounds like the UN's Agenda 21 that is being implemented in all member nations. It nears completion.

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 6:17 PM
  • Obviously Washington knows more about farming than farmers do. Why wouldn't they, they know more about mining, drilling for oil, manufacturing air conditioners, automobiles, and most everything else, financing homes... and the list goes on.

They do a fine job, all we poor eathlings need to do is trust them.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 6:43 PM
  • Maybe some of you with more wisdom, due to age, can answer this question. :)

My 80 year old neighbor told me today that the first great depression(this one being the 2nd) actually started in 1924 not '28. He said that was the mark because everybody was jumping out of windows that year. Also, that it really didn't end until 1948. He said that's when building new buildings began to be strong again. Uh, that's 24 years by my math. Is this true?

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 6:52 PM
  • dc, I think it is generally accepted that the great depression began in '29. It took a while for the affects to reach rural America but the farm folks were already hurting. That may be what your neighbor is referring to.

From what I understand the people jumping out of windows has been exagerated although there were some tragic responses when some folks realized they were broke and most likely would face criminal charges.

"The day the bubble burst" is a good read, not so much about the politics involved but the social perspective of that time.

I'm reminded of Jay Leno talking about the expensive cars of the people who managed to keep their wealth. They dare not drive them for fear of rocks hurled at them. Well to do folks were quick to try to blend in with less fortunate but still productive. Class warfare's nothing new, keeping down with the Jones' was the new way to go.

My folks seemed to leave out any specific depiction of when it started. I reckon they were already too broke and scratching to notice.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 11:14 PM
  • I have read that Stalin allowed "The Grapes of Wrath" to be screened in the USSR because it portrayed the US on the skids during the Depression, and was supposed to instill some patriotic pride among the comrades.

It had the opposite effect because even the poor in the US in the depths of the Great Depression had cars.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Fri, Oct 19, 2012, at 5:09 AM
  • What was the observation of Will Rogers abpout Americans being the only nation driving to the poorhouse?

We've dispensed with the poorhouses and substituted the Welfare State. Now we can drive to the grocery to use those food stamps.

Now that's progress, wouldn't ya say?

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Oct 19, 2012, at 8:43 AM
  • Old John and Rick, thanks for the input. I wonder if I can find The Day The Bubble Burst on Amazon.

Voy, I'm not sure about that. I guess there were those who had cars. I know my grandfather didn't. They had a horse and small wagon. My Gr. grandfather had Ford truck model T. They said there was one steep hill they had to go up in reverse because of the gravity fed fuel set up. Pawpaw hopped a train and hoboed to Houston, Tx looking for work, but there wasn't any. Granny told me she moved my mother and her 3 siblings into town while he was away. Got a ride from her father in law. Momma was about 5 or 6 and she remembers that they all lived in one room that had very little furniture. The first night, Granny butchered one of the chickens she had brought with them in a cage from home, made some dumplings and that's what they had for dinner.

Granny told me that the next day she got a job cleaning for some lady and I think she said she paid her a dime a day and was happy to get it. I reckon that would be like, maybe $7 today.

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Oct 19, 2012, at 1:01 PM
  • the depression started in 1932. I think that it officially ended in 1946.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Wed, Oct 24, 2012, at 12:29 AM

BC

I had never heard when the Depression officially ended and I am sure you have read much more on it than I. I guess I had always thought of it ending with our entry into World War II and with people going back to work to support the war effort. We certainly had full employment, with many women having to go to work for the first time to man the factories building everything needed for our armies.

I do remember the stamp books that people had allowing them to buy many necessities such as sugar, tires, gasoline and many other items that were rationed. As a youngster I remember the talk about being able to make a trip to town because of the amount of gasoline required and the condition of the tires on the car.

So I suppose if the government declared it over in 1946, it was over in 1946, because who knows better than the government what it takes to make a depression.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Oct 24, 2012, at 9:40 AM
  • The kicker is , I got another letter in the snail mail today telling me a US Census Bureau agent will be in contact with me with-in the next 4 weeks to collect data ...geezzz

-- Posted by .Rick. on Tue, Oct 23, 2012, at 11:03 PM

The Census Bureau asserts that they have the authority to demand additional personal info other than enumeration. I contend that they don't.

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Oct 24, 2012, at 10:07 AM
  • Rick, how does the Census dude know whatever you tell him is the truth?

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Oct 24, 2012, at 1:58 PM
  • "I guess he forgot who's house he was in..."

You let him in?! I'm surprised...or was he just at the door?

The way I read the law is the Congress instructs the Census Bureau that they SHALL enumerate the citizens and they give the director permission to ask other questions. The law directs the Bureau but not the people. I haven't found anywhere a law that directs the citizen to absolutely comply with the requests of the C. Bureau. I could be wrong, but that's how I understand it.

At any rate, what the heck are they going to do? Send me to jail for not answering a question about my national origin, etc.? No way. I'll just plead the 5th. Anyway, the Census was in 2010.

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Oct 24, 2012, at 3:05 PM
  • Mr Vandeven

I think Jonathan Dine would have a shot at the senate if he had the funds to advertise. He will have my vote. I just cant stomach Dumb and Dumber.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Oct 24, 2012, at 4:56 PM

Respond to this thread