Partisan Chamber of Commerce Excludes Candidate from US Senate Debate
Posted by Simon Jester on Thu, Oct 11, 2012, at 7:11 AM:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

October 10, 2012

Cisse Spragins, Ph.D.

Cell: 612 309 9232

Email: chair@lpmo.org

Partisan Chamber of Commerce Excludes Candidate from US Senate Debate

In a decision earlier today, the Clayton Chamber of Commerce in the Saint Louis area decided to uphold their earlier decision to exclude Libertarian U.S Senate Candidate Jonathan Dine from their October 18th debate. After learning of the upcoming debate and his exclusion, Dine had contacted Executive Director Ellen Gale last week to request inclusion. After some exchanges between them, Gale sent a letter to Dine earlier today simply stating that they were proceeding with their earlier decision to exclude him. No reasons or objective criteria were stated. Dine participated with Claire McCaskill and Todd Akin in an earlier debate in September hosted by the Missouri Press Association.

A limiting factor is in place simply to be on the ballot. Parties must qualify through either petitioning or past election performance and candidates must pass muster with their party and compete in a primary. If running as an independent, statewide candidates must collect 10,000 valid petition signatures. "The Missouri Libertarian Party has successfully maintained ballot access and fielded slates of candidates for the last 20 years," observed Dr. Cisse Spragins, Missouri LP chair. "The fact that our candidates are still being excluded from debates is appalling. It is clear, given the dynamics of this race, that Dine is going to be a factor in November. We laud the Missouri Press Association for their long-standing policy of recognizing and including all candidates on the ballot in the debates they host."

Spragins added, "Outside of my work with the LP, I own and run a manufacturing company I started 13 years ago. We sell nationally and our primary competitors are a small handful multi-national corporations. Competing in this environment is much like what the Libertarian Party faces on a daily basis. I'm disgusted that an organization such as the Chamber of Commerce, which claims to be non-partisan, and which also claims to support smaller local businesses would take such a blatantly partisan stance. If I were one of their members, I would seriously question where their real interests lie. Who are they to decide what voters want to hear?"

Voters who recognize that the two-party duopoly has jointly led the country to the brink of economic disaster and who are tired of never-ending foreign wars and a ballooning big brother police state will find common ground with the Libertarian Party. The Libertarian Party is America's third largest political party and has been fighting for smaller government since 1971. The Missouri Libertarian Party has been a recognized party in the state, with continuous ballot access since 1992. For further information visit www.lpmo.org or call 877-Vote-4-Us.

--

Cisse W. Spragins, Ph.D.

Chair, Missouri Libertarian Party

LPMO.org

FedUpinMO.com

Cell: 612 309 9232

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants, it is the creed of slaves." --William Pitt, speech to the House of Commons.

Replies

I would take it as a complement.

Just across the river in Illinois you have a county were liberals tried to keep a group of conservatives off the ballot because they sent in their applications paper clipped together instead of stapled.

And of course conservatives have whole states trying to keep a portion of the 47% at home on Election Day because despite all their assertions that Obama is the worst President in the history of the world, the best candidate they themselves could cull from their ranks was...Mitt Romney (insert sad trombone sound effect here).

The fact of the matter is that neither party looks too good in the light of day and the Libertarian Party would need to have an awful lot of warts for either the Democrats or Republicans to want to stand next to them on a stage.

-- Posted by DADES on Thu, Oct 11, 2012, at 9:42 AM

I do not own a county in Illinois .

-- Posted by Riҫk on Thu, Oct 11, 2012, at 11:21 AM

Don't act like you don't own a county in Illinois Rick, we all know what's up.

-- Posted by DADES on Thu, Oct 11, 2012, at 11:49 AM

Rick,

It depends on the state laws. In MO, a write-in candidate would have had to file as such with the Sec of State. If you write in "Mickey Mouse" (as I do in several races), that vote gets thrown out, but not the entire ballot. Some states do not allow write ins of any sort.

I read somewhere that Mickey Mouse gets several votes every year. Somebody should file as a write in candidate under the name "Mickey Mouse". Then those protest votes would count.

DADES,

Gary Johnson has been using live internet streams to simulcast the debates in real time with his comments. The internet generation is what the LP should be focusing on anyhow. There is not much of a future courting the traditional Old Media user. The newspapers and television media outlets' sad devotion to the duopoly parties will ultimately contribute to their undoing.

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Thu, Oct 11, 2012, at 12:19 PM

Riҫk

When I was addressing Vandeven and used the expression "you have," did you really think I was addressing YOU and accusing you personally of actually owning the county I was discussing? Why?

Vandeven,

I agree that the internet will play an increasing role in deciding elections. I did see where Gary Johnson has done a couple AMA's on Reddit. But I was surprised that Obama beat him to it. To my mind, forums like that are tailor made for alternative candidates and I'm surprised Johnson hasn't tried to make better use of it.

I really like Gary Johnson some of the time. But like Ron Paul, he sometimes goes too far.

-- Posted by DADES on Thu, Oct 11, 2012, at 2:32 PM

-- Posted by Riҫk on Thu, Oct 11, 2012, at 2:40 PM

Which words exactly Rick? I mean, you hadn't posted anything to this thread, I didn't mention your name. What made you decide my post was about you?

-- Posted by DADES on Thu, Oct 11, 2012, at 2:54 PM

Why did you post that you do not own a county in Illinois? Since you were never accused of owning a county in Illinois I thought this was some sort of joke. You just randomly show up on the thread and jump in the middle of a conversation proclaiming your innocence of something that no reasonable person would take as an accusation. Again, I assumed that this had to be some sort of joke so I tried to play along with you. I didn't know how else to take your sudden appearance and profession of innocence.

So I ask you again, so that I don't inadvertently post something that you feel is an accusation. Why did you think I was accusing you of owning a county in Illinois?

-- Posted by DADES on Thu, Oct 11, 2012, at 3:21 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

Want to comment?

In order to participate in semissourian.com's forums, you must be a registered member of the site. Once registered and logged in, you can post comments to existing threads or post new threads of your own. Click below to register now (it's free!). If you're already registered, just start commenting and posting threads.