Beware latest virus

Posted by donknome-2 on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 9:18 PM:

Curious as to what actually happens IF one actually pays the "blackmail"-amount?

I don't use Norton, but I'm surprised that such a high-profile brand-name is that easily-subdued?

Replies

I quit using Norton's and started using Microsoft's Security Essentials almost three years ago and have been pretty well pleased. Did have a virus get through once that caused me some grief, but was able to get rid of it without loss of anything. I have seen friends hit with those Rogue Virsus Protection Schemes and they can be a *****. Saw one where Norton's would not find and isolate the bad files. Had to use another program to find and remove it.

Also do not like how Norton's takes charge of your computer and slows things down.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 10:23 PM

RICK: Yeah, I figured as much, but was just-curious?

I got "hit" with the one from an "electronics"-sales outfit, which also sold THEATER-TICKETS.(Go figure?)Or, at least that's the info my bank and myself unearthed.(Apparently initiated from an online-Wal Mart purchase.)But I got "lucky", and caught it before it had a chance to "grow". And, there were several-THOUSAND other victims, of various-other institutions, as well. Luckily, my-bank made good on their promise, and it didn't cost me anything---other than the embarrassment of the "education".

Check those bank/credit card statements religiously on-line---every day, if necessary---and, although it won't stop it, it'll sure give you a fighting-chance, of not losing your shirt over the deal.

Ain't no honor amongst thieves, huh?☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 9:58 AM

After reading this last night, I decided just for drill to run Malewarebytes on my computer and found that I had 1 infected file, which was low risk and nothing but adware stuff. Checked the log on my virus checker and found 9 severe threat infected files quaranteened.

It does behove one to keep a closer eye than I have been on our computers.

My wife got a warning last night that she had over a hundred infected files and they wanted her to run this virus checker. For once she listened to what I had told her, turn if off now, when you get one of those. She did, when I checked hers for viruses she had absolutely no bad files, but had she punched the go button they wanted her to, I'm sure I would have had a mess to attend to.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 10:26 AM

Rick,

I experienced my credit card number being stolen about 5 years ago. They put within a few dollars of $5000 on my credit card in a week in the cancun Mexico area. It did not cost me any money but it did create a lot of aggravation. How many people can you take to dinner in a Mexican Restaurant in Cancun for $175.00?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 10:39 AM

Rick,

Question.... are you saying do not take either A.) or B.)? And just wait until it continues. Thanks.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 3:16 PM

Got it Rick, I would bet that might work for other problems when you get a serious virus. It goes into my notes aa I cannot remember what day it is sometimes.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 3:41 PM

Oh, and Many Thanks to you Rick.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 3:42 PM
  • Some operating systems use the the F8 key rather than F11. Some require pressing CTRL+ the function key. Might want to refer to an appropriate source for your computer, rather than an Anonymous pal.

-- Posted by good.for.the.gander.good.for.the.goose on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 4:49 PM

Yeah, thanks RICK. And GOMEZ, too.

Like WHEELS. I printed a hard-copy too---just in-case.

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 11:53 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: