[SeMissourian.com] Fair ~ 68°F  
River stage: 17.52 ft. Falling
Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2014
Post reply Read replies (19) More threads Create thread

Beware latest virus
Posted by donknome-2 on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 9:18 PM:

Curious as to what actually happens IF one actually pays the "blackmail"-amount?

I don't use Norton, but I'm surprised that such a high-profile brand-name is that easily-subdued?

Replies

RICK: Yeah, I figured as much, but was just-curious?

I got "hit" with the one from an "electronics"-sales outfit, which also sold THEATER-TICKETS.(Go figure?)Or, at least that's the info my bank and myself unearthed.(Apparently initiated from an online-Wal Mart purchase.)But I got "lucky", and caught it before it had a chance to "grow". And, there were several-THOUSAND other victims, of various-other institutions, as well. Luckily, my-bank made good on their promise, and it didn't cost me anything---other than the embarrassment of the "education".

Check those bank/credit card statements religiously on-line---every day, if necessary---and, although it won't stop it, it'll sure give you a fighting-chance, of not losing your shirt over the deal.

Ain't no honor amongst thieves, huh?☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 9:58 AM

Some operating systems use the the F8 key rather than F11. Some require pressing CTRL+ the function key. Might want to refer to an appropriate source for your computer, rather than an Anonymous pal.

-- Posted by Doctor Zhiv on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 4:49 PM

Yeah, thanks RICK. And GOMEZ, too.

Like WHEELS. I printed a hard-copy too---just in-case.

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 11:53 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

Want to comment?

In order to participate in semissourian.com's forums, you must be a registered member of the site. Once registered and logged in, you can post comments to existing threads or post new threads of your own. Click below to register now (it's free!). If you're already registered, just start commenting and posting threads.