[SeMissourian.com] Fog ~ 37°F  
River stage: 23.66 ft. Falling
Thursday, Oct. 23, 2014
Post reply Read replies (126) More threads Create thread

Did you know October was also National Anti-Bullying Awareness Month?
Posted by Dug on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 8:40 AM:

"they can not form a logical debate and/or a mental condition simular to hearing voices that are not really there."

"Being sober is a good quality too, try it some time."

"Or perhaps you will collect and still witch aka be a hypocrit?"

Is this cyber-bullying?

Replies

I get nothing but a "stomp out bullying " page on the first link and the second one is about peanut butter.

Has someone been picking on you again Me'Lange?

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 6:27 PM

OLD JOHN is right: The second-link IS about peanut-butter!

OK, the "other"-link BELOW the vid is on-subject---but it's not as interesting as the one describing "How To Use Peanut-Butter To Squelch A Bully."

I can see where it might-work. That peanut-butter don't look too-enticing, to say the least...☺

Sorry, MELANGE---I apologize in-advance, for taking this out-of-context.

(Well, I'm not really sorry---but, at least I thought-about being so...!☺)

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 7:44 PM

Actually, MELANGE, I'd read about it on my-browser page, long-before I'd made it to here. Wasn't meant to make the subject any less-important. That, and, I agree with her.

Although I'm constantly-amazed at how "wussified", and PC'd, todays' schools have become, as pertaining to a student-level of self-respect among their peers.

I'd never have survived high-school, nor all these years following, if I'd followed the modern-day rules of how to deal with bullying.

No need for an argument. Just thought I owed you a reply...

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 9:03 AM

And admittedly---when I see OLD JOHNs'-name on somethin'? I tend to get on the "drier"-side of humor, because he and a fist-full of others make me remember the few good-times in an otherwise not-so-good younger life.

Compare it to a half-dozen toothless ol' buzzards, sittin' around a pot-belly stove, having a contest of whose-spit fries the longest on the casting...!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 9:09 AM

I actually think to much is being made of it. Reminds me of the '70s when every other day another witch hunt was initiated about another social injustice.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 9:17 AM

OLD JOHN: Well, I DO agree with what she(Livingston)is saying, but, MY-personal solution to the school-bullying problem was just---umm,---more-directly dealt with?

Maybe that's why I'm still here today? Just mean & vindictive-enough to "stay one-up", on the next-smaller bully?

Although they ARE tending to get quicker and stronger, as I get older...!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 9:31 AM

In-deed.

That's why I'll order my wheelchair with gladiator-spokes on it!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 9:43 AM

I can remember 3 guys who were bullys to me. The first was named Alonzo. He came from a long family line of "hoods". In grade school he dressed like the Fonz,leather jacket and all.After a few weeks of him pushing me around I hauled off and planted a Chuck Taylor clad foot right into his baby makers. I thought I was a dead kid right there by the teeter totters but I never had another problem with him. When my Dad found out he only asked me why it took so long to stand up for myself. I took that advice to heart when dealing with the last two. No one has to take anything from anybody. There is a wussification going on.Quit whining. Go for it,fighting back will hurt less than the pain you are experiencing now.

-- Posted by dab1969 on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 10:15 AM

Bullying is a long standing issue and certainly problematic. I dealt with bullies with violence when "appropriate", but these are different times and that is no longer a viable option. You will just wind up in trouble and self defense is most often seen as an indicator of a problem child.

I don't know if there is a solution, but I certainly hope so; I sure don't know any though.

-- Posted by 356 on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 10:58 AM

If someone else posted this, I apologize. I found it interesting, and related to this topic.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/prom-...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 11:17 AM

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 11:17 AM

Thanks for posting. I came across that a couple of days ago and really liked how it was handled by the girl.

-- Posted by 356 on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 11:22 AM

dab1969,

Your story reminded me of a time that I retaliated against my bullies in grade school.

The "little kids" were always getting picked on by the "big kids" at my grade school. The big kids reserved special torments for me because even in first grade I was a legendary smart ***.

A lot of the big kid bullies also rode the bus. They always sat in the back, but didn't pick on us little kids while on the bus due to the close supervision of Delbert the Busdriver.

Anyhow, one day early in the school year I had already been on the receiving end of several "swirlies", and a couple of "mickey mouses" at the hands of the big kids. I decided that I was going to get some sweet revenge.

Since it was warm, all of the windows on the bus were open. I had snuck my hardly used bottle of Elmer's Glue All onto the bus in my backpack, took my usual seat in front, and waited for Delbert the Busdriver to get up to speed on the highway to unleash my plan.

When the bus hit 55 mph, I unscrewed the lid from the Elmer's glue, and held it out my window. My plan worked to perfection. All those creepy bullies were covered in Elmer's glue! Some of them were even crying! Of coarse I got busted. Of coarse I had to stay in from recess for a month. Of coarse my parents didn't appreciate this latest "creative incident" (my grandpa thought it was hilareous though), but I weirded the big kids out enough that they didn't pick on my with same gusto as before.

Nowadays they would have injected me with drugs, sent me to counselling, and made me ride the short bus.

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 11:31 AM

I think bullies can be useful. It was bullying in school when I was young that helped me become a long distance runner in my 20's.

I think that it is acceptable to pick on those smaller and weaker than you. It even happens between governments.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 1:09 PM

Rick, Do you think that Me'Lange is trying to bully Lumpy?

-- Posted by BCStoned on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 2:33 PM

Me'Lange, Sorry to post and run without following up with a serious on topic post. Sometimes other things take priority.

Shapley, Your link, unless I missed something doesn't explain why this girl's situation was interpretted as a prank or bullying lest I just overlooked it. I did hear something along those lines about a disabled girl being put in that situation a while back.

I think most youngsters allow being bullied as a trade-off for being liked by or associated with the bully. From what I remember most bullies tend to bully those that choose to be their friends.

There were cases of out and out meanness, another level of bullying. When I was in the seventh grade a senior got his jollies by slapping seventh graders going off campus for lunch. I learned quickly to take the long way to avoid him. Soon after he graduated he was killed in a downtown St. Louis bar fight.

Oh, and Me'lange, your most recent post makes me wonder if you are renewing your offer to be Lumpy's campaign manager. ;)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 7:42 PM

Me'Lange, I guess what threw me was the picture. She looks to be very normal. Reckon it's hard to tell by looking since I know some 70+ year olds that have the minds of 65 year olds.

Now you've done it with the "out there for the whole world to read" comment. Lumpy will have to buy a bigger hat knowing his comments on this forum are "world read"! :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 8:43 PM

I'll share my first bully story. I was in first grade and had a guy picking on me everyday. One day, I stabbed him in the hand with my pencil. The lead broke off in the back of his hand. He cried. I was sent to the corner.

The Principle came and removed me from class, took me to the office and gave me 3 whacks with the board. I cried.

Later, the bully wanted to be my friend.

I was friendly with him, but never what I'd call friends and I always kept my eye on him. I never had any more trouble with him though.

The other kids that he picked on always tried to hang around me because when they did, he didn't bother them.

I always felt like a nerd and was :)... and from time to time had to bloody a nose for being picked on. I never picked fights but I learned early the only way to deal with bullying was good punch in the kisser.

Kids, especially boys, are lunatics. They think all that being nice stuff is for losers. They may nod their heads and say okay, but they don't really get a conscience until after the age of 10 or 12 and even then, not much of one.

That doesn't mean they should be corrected. I'm just saying, a boy doesn't get a brain until somewhere around 23 or so. You just have to tell them what's ok and what's not ok and what punishment they'll get if they don't act right. It's not a hard and fast rule. There are some exceptions of course.

Girls? I have NO idea! And still don't I might add!

That's my take. :)

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 8:54 PM

dc, When you get down to it, almost all behavior is dependant on fear of loss or hope to gain.

The old thing about an attitude adjustment is non existant. Only we can change our attitude, no outside earthly influence can do that. Behavior is a different animal. Fear of loss as in front teeth always seemed to override hope to gain as in broken knuckles in my case.

I'm reminded of the special skills I admire in a woman that can turn improper male social agression around with the tact of a proper lady.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 9:17 PM

Was bullied by a guy in Middle school. I told my dad and he said a stick will make a man out of you so I beat the stuffing out of him and his bully buddy with a stick about like Buford Pusser's. He never looked at me again and as a matter of fact he quit the picking on people.

I know the liberals on here will say you shouldn't encourage you kids to fight but that is the only way they will be respected. Snitching is definitely the wrong route.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 9:19 PM

Wheels, Just as I hit save I thought of you! It was too late to call it back. Were you offended or pleased?

Actually I was expecting a mule and a two-by-four story about my attitude comment. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 9:54 PM

Wheels, Even 2x4s aren't really 2x4s any more in todays chickification of men society. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 10:11 PM

"I'm reminded of the special skills I admire in a woman that can turn improper male social agression around with the tact of a proper lady."

I have witnessed this technique personally and it is indeed satisfying to watch. I'm attracted to such ladies. I have one, and in a pinch, we could just put our backs together and fight our way out. Yep, she's got callouses on her hands, but ebery bit a lady.

AS to the knuckles, I never had an x-ray done, but they swelled up pretty good a time or ten. :)

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 10:16 PM

I am not "PC". Never have been, never will be. I am respectful to people that deserve my respect, but that doesn't include everyone. There are plenty of candidates out there who are PC, and "respect" everyone. Personally, if a politician is going to consfiscate the products of my life energies, I would rather them treat me like a dog to my face also. That's just me. Some folks like the whole sadistic experience of pretty words and dirty deeds. Guess I am not the kinky type.

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 6:53 AM

The War on Drugs, foreign wars, and the war on our wealth makes the US a bullying nation.

This government social attitude makes an impression on the children of this nation. Perhaps eliminating this impression would be a cure for much of the bullying.

Boys will follow the examples of their fathers, who make heroes of aggressors.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 10:24 AM

Me'Lange wrote "Old John and Wheels, Sadly, some do not seem to realize, this young lady most likely will never mature past 10-12 years old mind. Because I don't think even you two would poke fun of her situation otherwise.

Me'Lange, I went back and read the Shapley's link again. Where in the story is any indication that this girl is disabled or unmaturable?

And where did Wheels and I make poke fun of her situation?

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 10:55 AM

Wheels, Your wife is too nice to be a bully.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 11:07 AM

"Where in the story is any indication that this girl is disabled or unmaturable?"

I had not read that in the story. Either in the one linked or in other stories that have followed that one. I did read that in some of the 'comments' that followed the stories, though I have no idea if it was factual or speculation.

I had the impression she was picked on for being poor and perhaps a little shy or awkward. It appears to be a sort of 'Carrie' scenario. Whatever the reason, she is not part of the 'in' crowd, and they were pulling a prank with the intent of embarrassing her.

But, the reason for it is immaterial. It was a cruel trick which the community banded together to turn on the face of the pranksters. It's a good of example of making lemonade out of life's lemons.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 11:29 AM

Wheels, Congradulations! In your case you shouldn't complain too loudly, the gov people could charge her with elderly abuse for making you do your chores. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 11:33 AM

AS to the knuckles, I never had an x-ray done, but they swelled up pretty good a time or ten. :)

-- Posted by dchannes

I really hope I misunderstood this comment.

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 4:40 AM

Me'L, It was in response to this comment by Old John:

"The old thing about an attitude adjustment is non existant. Only we can change our attitude, no outside earthly influence can do that. Behavior is a different animal. Fear of loss as in front teeth always seemed to override hope to gain as in broken knuckles in my case."

Just so you know, I do NOT to hit people for picking on me anymore. There's no need for that since my skin has grown much thicker.

Just don't be a guy and be rude to my wife. I tend to loose my marbles over that.

Maybe it's just a guyification thing?

Sorry if you still don't understand it.

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 12:18 PM

Wheels, Doing anything special to celebrate?

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 12:45 PM

Whew. Glad we cleared that up. And heck no...if ever laid a hand on my wife I don't think I could run far enough or fast enough to save my lousy skin! I DID think about it once or twice, in a moment of insanity though. :) And, she doesn't forget anything either.

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 3:43 PM

Happy Anniversary Wheels! Wow,55 years. I tried marriage a couple of times years ago and it just didn't work out for me. For what ever reason, I just can't settle down with one woman.

I am a good partner until the "M" word is mentioned and then I panic. Like that old song says... The "M" word scares the "F" word out of me.

I joke about marriage, but actually I am quite envious of couples like you and your wife who have loving and rewarding marriages. Way to go. You did good.

-- Posted by Thought Criminal on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 10:39 PM

Apparently, using the homecoming pagents as a vehicle of ridicule is not new and is rather widespread:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/natio...

I seem to recall that something along that line was used when I was in school, though not by my class. However, in that case (if my memory serves me) it was not so much a case of the girl being targeted but rather a mild protest against the 'hand-picked' court. Again, going by my ever-failing memory, I don't think the nomination passed. There weren't enough protestors to carry the nominations of the anti-in-crowd girls to victory.

There is a cliquish component in many schools relating to the selection of the queen and her court. Once in a while, the 'out' crowd will have enough of it and revolt by nominating someone from outside the clique. The nominee may not be the target so much as the vehicle used to dethrone someone else.

In the case cited in the article, however, the nominees appear to be the targets of ridicule. I think the communities that get together and turn the prank around have found the best way to deal with it.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 7:42 AM

Somehow I just can't see school functions designating students to a title of royality being a proper fit respecting our country's founding regarding royalty.

Surely a more appropriate title could be enstowed.

Of course I can see the terms of king and queen does't always imply royalty as in a lordship or positions of power over others. Just thinking out loud I guess.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 1:11 PM

Old John, perhaps "President and First Lady" would suit you better? :)

-- Posted by dchannes on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 12:53 PM

I thougt of that, not PC enough for today's crowd. :)

Maybe host and hostess?

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 1:09 PM

Me'Lange, Those calling themselves adults are in no position to intervene, they are no less children of the state than their children who attend the state's schools.

Those adult/children also wish to feel themselves winners in their support of government's aggressive (bullying) actions. This is no different than the actions of the bullies in the school yard.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 2:31 PM

Me'Lange, I'm just saying that bullying has become politically correct. It has become the first nature of men, and that nature has carried over onto schoolyards.

A vote is support for the actions of a government that exists for the sole purpose of bullying.

It is obvious to me that we are not communicating well.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 3:28 PM

Me'L,

What I think BC is talking about is, America bullys other nations and has shaped that bullying to appear PC to the general public by blaming it on various things like "terrorism" or "communism" or just calling another nation "scary" or a "threat". Instead of calling it politically correct I would say it is this governments' modus operandi. Citizens are fed propaganda geared to produce an feeling of "patriotism" or "support for the troops" or hate for people in other countries they mostly know nothing about, which IS PC.

I often find news about America from news sources from other countries. It is because the major news outlets are largely controlled in this country.

I view public schools as mini government training schools where they dumb kids down and feed them BS. Kind of like what Hitler did in the 20s and 30s.

-- Posted by dchannes on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 7:20 PM

I also think it was an interesting choice of words to name their 'movement':

"STOMP Out Bullying™", which draws to mind the forceful act of stomping s foot down on bullies. Remember, bullies are people too.

So in reality, they are advocating the use of force against people who "bully" others. And just who decides what bullying is anyway? You? Me? The schools? The courts? The politicians?

The fact of the matter is, people respect bravery. Kids figure that out all by themselves at some point.

-- Posted by dchannes on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 7:35 PM

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 12:52 PM

My Mom and Dad went out to eat 1 time a month at a greasy spoon in Marston. They had a choice of soup or a hamburger and water. The budget for the meal was 30 cents. They continued the once a month dinner until Dad died but they spent a little more later in life.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 8:39 PM

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 9:46 PM

My wife and I had two pennies to rub together but that was about it but we were happy and we knew if we worked hard things would get better. All of our friends were broke also so we didn't feel alone.

It seems to be the people with gobs of cash and the ones that are green eyed jealous of them are the ones that are unhappy and depressed. I have never been envious of someone with money or fame.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 10:54 PM

It seems to be the people with gobs of cash and the ones that are green eyed jealous of them are the ones that are unhappy and depressed. I have never been envious of someone with money or fame.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 10:54 PM

I agree. Money won't buy you happiness, neither will the latest gadget. Someone should start a thread on what truly makes you happy. Good health on a pretty day? Hugs from a loved one?

-- Posted by Reasoning on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 5:55 AM

I have never been envious of someone with money or fame. -- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 10:54 PM

Neither have I - and I've worked for some billionaires at times. Who cares? All I cared about was making a living doing what I was doing and if things were going south, I quit the job and took another.

This wealth envy thing is new and you can pin it directly on Obama with his constant attack on fellow Americans and giving out more food stamps and government money than any president in history.

-- Posted by Dug on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 8:08 AM

"You could be right about BC's thoughts, and while I understand that perspective -- I don't agree with it."-- Posted by Me'Lange on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 3:03 AM

Me'L,

BC makes me have to think. That's what I like about the guy. I'm sure he has his reasons, but BC has not come back on here to further clarify his position and I am only guessing what he meant based on some other comments back and forth. What I said is MY opinion, based on credible facts, of what is going on in this government. I don't believe you really "understand" the perspective. Understanding what someone wrote and understanding the topic being written about are two different things. Not agreeing with it doesn't change those facts and is no basis for debate since there is no counter point. The reason you don't agree is maybe because you haven't done the research necessary to uncover those facts for yourself. Plus, there are different levels of knowledge. Not that I think you are stupid. I don't. If you get riled over this, I apologize. That's not my purpose, but I think what you are showing is prejudice toward a perspective you seemingly know little about and that's not fair, is it? Instead of saying you "don't agree" with something you don't understand, why not just say you "don't understand" it.

"Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but if you want to form an informed perspective, you might consider volunteering in a public school and/ or attending a couple school board meetings."

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 3:03 AM

You seem to always find a way to give us your resume and show how involved you are in the community. I am not impressed with that tactic. It just comes off as arrogant. You wrongly assume that I don't have an "informed perspective", that I am disconnected and not involved and I must therefore be ignorant of the truth.

This is just another form of bullying.

I use my time in a way that I think is most effective and tend to ignore areas I view as lost causes or areas of activism I feel I'm not cut out for.

You may not be aware, I have posted before that due to various issues with the PS system we pulled our children out of it 10 years ago. (My youngest has never been inside of a public school, except in utero). One reason is, they teach theories as facts. Another is, they expect 11 year old boys to sit still in class all day with NO recess and Phy-Ed one day per week, then complain to parents when they misbehave in class and suggest these boys have learning disabilities and need to be in 'special' classes and probably on medication. Be assured...I have been to those school board meetings, teacher/principle conferences and advocated for children's education in more ways than you know.

My comment was a generalization. Not aimed at the few good solid teachers in PS who are doing their level best and who pour themselves out on daily basis.

Those teachers that care are fighting a loosing battle against governments that tell them how to teach their kids and tell Superintendents how to manage their teachers. Because of the funding they take they must follow the rules set down from on high and NOT what they know is best for kids.

I have 2 friends who are current public school teachers and 2 that are retired. They are/were tired of the dumbing down mandate and they tell me what it's like on the inside, not being able to really teach and hold students accountable; having to give them a pass when they deserve a fail and dealing with Principles and teachers that have drunk the Regulatory Koolaid that corrupts the mind and soul. I say, let the State run the public schools and cut the federal Dept of Education out of it by not taking the money anymore.

I called my hometown school in Texas 12 years ago and asked what it cost to school one student per year. The answer? $15,000.

I called the best private school in town(out of 3) and asked what their tuition was. It was $5,000. They had buses and sports programs including football.

That was twelve years ago! It doesn't take rocket scientist to figure this one out Me'L. We've been hoodwinked.

Even with my considerable experience in this public school issue, it is still NOT my area. But, I DO know enough to have an "informed perspective".

We are clearly on different sides of the coin of this game of understanding. I see your perspective, and raise you one more.

-- Posted by dchannes on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 3:28 PM

Me'L,

It's too bad you stopped reading my post to you, otherwise you might have shown others that you walk the walk by showing an interest in understanding my opinion instead of just spouting you own.

I see now why BC didn't bother with you. Because I think what you really mean by "walking the walk" is, "goose stepping" to the socialist drum beat.

By the way, I don't need your permission to reply. And I'm quite sure you WILL read what I'm typing right now. You can't help it.

I see your true colors now.

-- Posted by dchannes on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 4:52 PM

"They are/were tired of the dumbing down mandate and they tell me what it's like on the inside, not being able to really teach and hold students accountable; having to give them a pass when they deserve a fail and dealing with Principles and teachers that have drunk the Regulatory Koolaid that corrupts the mind and soul."

No one has to pass students, they choose to. I believe you are referring to "no child left behind", President Bush's fiasco.

"One reason is, they teach theories as facts. Another is, they expect 11 year old boys to sit still in class all day with NO recess and Phy-Ed one day per week, then complain to parents when they misbehave in class and suggest these boys have learning disabilities and need to be in 'special' classes and probably on medication."

Make up your mind, do you want teachers to make the kids behave, or let them go? And, your post has very dated information.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 6:55 PM

Reasoning, it seems the communication process has broken down again. The point was, the public school costs were triple those of the private schools in central Texas 12 years ago.

What I failed to mention is that the cost of private school around this area today is between $2,500 and $$3,100(checked online by school name), while the Missouri public school average is over $9,000 per student(according to the 2008 census).http://www2.census.gov/govs/school/08f33pub.pdf Like I said before, public school costs 3 times more than private. Nothing has changed.

As far as making boys behave...first, you have to understand boys. They need to burn off energy. Period. If they don't they will squirm around and won't be able to focus. When I went to school, the teachers were aware of this fact.

We pulled both our kids out and began to home school. The problem child got his diploma just after his 17th birthday and tested very high. Go figure.

Your remark about Bush's "No Child Left Behind" didn't strike a nerve with me if it was meant to. It was a political gimmick. I thought it was a dumb idea. Plus, I didn't vote for him anyway.

Public schools, at present, are a failing waste of money. I bet the average high school student doesn't know who the vice President is or who the Governor of Missouri is.

-- Posted by dchannes on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 8:32 PM

dc, I must be a bit dated because I understand your point/s.

I have a bit different memory bank than some in that I remember things when I was 2-3 years old. Whooping cough at barely 2 is one of them. Fast forward to the first grade and I distinctly remember being oblivious to the class room and totally focussed on what was outside the window after just after giving a few minutes of attention to the teacher.

I think there could be a simple test for young boys unable to pay attention in class. Put them in front of a video game driving a race car or airplane etc and see how long their attention lasts. In most cases I think you would find it isn't an attention problem but a matter of subject. Many good teachers can make that subject intresting enough to keep the students engaged, when the others fail, and well it seems the too often answer is medication or selective prefference of which students are compatable according to a poor teacher.

And I haven't went to a PTA meeting or teacher parent confernence in quite a while. As a matter of fact it's been a long time since I was considered good at spelling too. ;)

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 12:42 AM

You do realize that all the private school children go to the public schools for special services? i.e. gifted programs, therapy programs, learning programs etc.

Please read

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012...

-- Posted by ssoutheast on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 6:01 AM

ssoutheast,

You do realize that the article is talking about United Kingdom schools? The Guardian is a British Newspaper.

But, yes, in America most special services are provided to students through the public schools, as well. Most, not all.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 7:14 AM

Me'Lange, I've been out at the farm with no Internet.

If you think government is anything other than a bully, then you and I will have to disagree.

Government uses force and intimidation to achieve its ends.

Schoolyard bullies use force and intimidation to achieve their ends.

Bullies feel like winners when their ends are achieved. If you feel like you are part of government or are friends of a schoolyard bully, then you will also feel like a winner. Everyone wants to feel like a winner.

You feel like a winner if your candidate wins a political race, even though it doesn't change your life in any meaningful way.

Back to the farm, where I can feel like a winner readying my berries for next year. It's important that I feel like a winner, then I don't affect the collateral lives of the innocent.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 12:45 PM

You do realize that all the private school children go to the public schools for special services? i.e. gifted programs, therapy programs, learning programs etc -- Posted by ssoutheast on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 6:01 AM

Not all go - just the ones that need the services.

You do realize that all private school children's parents pay the exact same tax rate to the public school as the parents of children who attend the public school?

If all the private schools would close, the public school parents would pay dearly in additional taxes right away in order to fund the public schools with all the additional children. Private schools save public parents a ton of money.

-- Posted by Dug on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 12:57 PM

Rick

You've been bullied.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM

Private schools save public parents a ton of money.

-- Posted by Dug on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 12:57 PM

Whether our children go to public school or not doesn't matter...we still have to pay. Whether we have children or not...we still have to pay. Whether we like it or agree with it...we still have to pay.

Can you smell that? Ahhh...freedom.

-- Posted by dchannes on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 10:12 PM

And the leap, (careful, big step) how does this example differ from a newspaper forum owner's right to remove an offensive comment -- Posted by Me'Lange on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 4:01 PM

IMO the forum owner has the right to do whatever they want and remove whatever they feel like. Like the car owner has the right to remove the egg off their car - they own it. We are here at the behest of the SE Missourian (thank you!) and this is a privilege, not a right.

Now, people attacking and using name calling then hitting the "ban" button when the favor is returned??? That would be like you egging the persons car back and then they run to the police.

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Oct 10, 2012, at 9:00 AM

For me the product is the level of education possessed by the student, the student or quality thereof is a joint effort of the parents and the school consisting of much more than an accumulation of facts, theories etc.

-- Posted by 356 on Wed, Oct 10, 2012, at 9:38 AM

One man's bullying is another's forceful argument.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Oct 10, 2012, at 9:49 AM

The man who owns the orhard owns the apples, Rick.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Oct 10, 2012, at 10:23 AM

"Welcome home Rick."

I say ditto. :)

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Oct 11, 2012, at 7:56 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

Want to comment?

In order to participate in semissourian.com's forums, you must be a registered member of the site. Once registered and logged in, you can post comments to existing threads or post new threads of your own. Click below to register now (it's free!). If you're already registered, just start commenting and posting threads.