[SeMissourian.com] Fog/Mist ~ 40°F  
River stage: 24.68 ft. Falling
Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2014
Post reply Read replies (26) More threads Create thread

Property Rights Violations
Posted by dchannes on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 10:10 PM:

I thought there needed to be a thread for property rights issues, since they affect us all.

Replies

Examiner Local Editorial: Feisty Fauquier farmer fights back

September 9, 2012 | 8:00 pm

An organic Fauquier County farmer who inspired a pitchfork rebellion in the Piedmont after being threatened with a $5,000 fine for selling farm products on her own farm is fighting back against her bureaucratic tormentors. In a $2 million lawsuit filed in Fauquier Circuit Court last week, McLean attorney Michelle Rosati presents compelling evidence that zoning officials -- not Martha Boneta -- are the real lawbreakers.

Full story...

http://washingtonexaminer.com/examiner-l...

-- Posted by dchannes on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 10:12 PM

If anybody hears of property rights violations, please post them here, along with links, for all of us to see.

The more people that know about them the harder it is for the bureaucrats to sweep it under the rug.

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 7:45 PM

Sounds like someone or ones may want to steal that farm.

There was a deal about a big shots somewhere over east that condemmed folks property through emminent domain to build a shopping center based on the public good of the higher tax revenue. The last I heard was that some people were trying to turn the tables and do the same to the judge that made the ruling.

Anyone remember how that turned out?

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 8:07 PM

Not I.

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 9:04 PM

Property rights have a distinctly critical role in the rule of law that our country is based on.

I understand that but suspect BC or others could explain it better.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 10:05 PM

We have a property rights group over here that meets once monthly to discuss the latest issues and is active in Jeff City. They know who we are and state and local public servants regularly attend meetings.

http://ozarkspropertyrightscongress.com/

You could start one in your area easy as pie! We are watch you call "loosely" organized. Regular attendance is around 50 to 75 persons. The wife is co-chair and she could tell me exactly, but I think the membership(those who claim us) total is around 1500 households.

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 10:29 PM

dc, So what's the 4 gallon rule? If you care to respond I'll look for your answer in the morning.

Another question if you care to answer: Can you get your wife to join our forums? I've read some of her articles.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 11:23 PM

The 4 gallon rule is a new regulation that the EPA just put forward. I found this article:

"According to a recent letter by the EPA to the American Motorcyclist Association, motorists buying E10 fuel (a mixture that contains 10 percent ethanol) from a hose that also supplies E15 fuel (a mixture that contains 15 percent ethanol) must buy at least four gallons to protect customers following behind. Ethanol is hard on engines and less efficient than regular gasoline. E15 can even cause engine failure in smaller or older engines. So if you're using a blender pump to buy E10 that sells both E15 and E10, the residual amount of E15 left in the hose from the previous customer could cause significant damage to those smaller and older engines--unless you purchase at least 4 gallons."

http://epaabuse.com/9006/news/the-epas-4...

As far as my wife joining in these threads, she said, "Thank you, but I don't have the time to do it. I have too many things to work on as it is. My husband already spends too much time on there as it is."(She's probably right. She usually is.) :)

She said she would answer your e-mails. Contact info is animalwaitress@yahoo.com

I irritate her with my questions about where to find information regarding topics I post about and she's usually going in 3 directions at once and trying to keep everything straight. It's computer and phone and studying documents all day long here.

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 11:31 AM

Rɨck, I would guess folks tend to call first before "just showing up" at your place then? :)

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 12:23 PM

dchannes, There are far more arguments against property rights than for.

In the case of the farmer in Virginia, not only is the county violating her assumed property rights, but that of her potential customers as well.

As an anarcho-capitalist and libertarian, I stand for the recognition of property rights by others as well as by the state.

Conservatives, liberals, and neoconservatives make the argument that property rights of individuals does not exist.

"When dealing with the topic of immigration, that is, the movement of individuals across political designations, this is where things get confusing. The State claims not only to be able to control who crosses the land that it owns, but also to control who enters land owned by private individuals. It also claims the authority to prohibit certain individuals from living within its borders, even if these individuals acquired their land rightfully (using the criteria above) by homesteading or through voluntary exchange. Those of us who believe that private property is the basis of a free society must ask: how was this authority engendered?

If we continue along this line of thinking, the logical conclusion must be that the State owned all the land within its borders a priori since it is the government which sets the conditions for how that land may be used, and to whom it may be transferred in the future. The State continues to retain a high degree of control since the government has the ultimate authority to make the rules for all property, even property now in private hands.*

To the libertarian, or anyone who believes in the sanctity of property rights, these conclusions are quite troubling. When it comes to land ownership in America, property rights are not at all secure; they are not really rights at all, but government granted privileges."-Glenn Jacobs

-- Posted by BCStoned on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 1:02 PM

Zoning laws don't just concern city folks as government controls rural lands with the authority of the state and federal entity.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 1:24 PM

The a priori concept that all lands are owned by the State is faulty to begin with, as seen by the Native Americans. They could not grasp the concept of "owning" land any more than "owning" the sky. The government's role is supposed to be to protect the borders. Borders are good in my view. But how it is protected is key.

Some people can skip from A + B = Z surprisingly easy. Not so for me and many others. That is why I feel that we must attempt to work within the legal framework we have available to us and slowly bring to light the property rights ideas of which you speak. Otherwise, mental meltdown occurs and support is lost.

When you pose the question of where the authority was engendered, I take it you mean from whom was it given, by whose authority? In my case, I believe I was allowed to take possession of the piece of ground I live on by YHWH, the Creator of all ground. All I had to do was work. I believe I am to hold it in trust and be a good steward of it. It is my domain.

The government thinks they own it. That's why they continue to tax me for dirt that is already paid for. I suppose I could view it as a form of exchange for them guarding the borders, but I don't. I just see as legalized theft. I don't necessarily believe taxes are wrong or unneeded. I just have a problem with how they are extracted and how the funds are applied.

One problem is that a lot of people don't think about the fact that people don't exist because of governments, it's the other way around and because of neglect we have allowed it to become too big. It has now become a fearful tyrant. Only together can we stand up to it. That's the part that is difficult.

I don't know who Glenn Jacobs is, but I understand what he is saying. If my hope were placed in men I would be in deep doo doo mentally and spiritually speaking.

From an epistemological stand point I guess I would view myself as a Empirical, Idyllic, Realist. Maybe? :)

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 3:32 PM

Sorry, the above is my response to you, BC.

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 3:34 PM

dchannes, I have the view that taxes, the war on drugs, and etc., means that man doesn't even own himself much less property.

These things can be changed, though not through the confines placed on us by the conservatives, liberals, and neoconservatives. They believe that government owns us, and not the other way around.

Continue to fight for the privilege of paying taxes on property. Just be thankful that you are not taxed on the air that you consume. Be thankful for the little things permitted by government.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 3:58 PM

Zoning laws don't just concern city folks as government controls rural lands with the authority of the state and federal entity.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 1:24 PM

"Hazard Mitigation Plans", put forth by Dept of Homeland Security have been adopted by county Commissioners across the state. Ours, in Texas Co. was over 900 pages of gooble-dee-gook. The Commissioners took a butt chewing from us too. They drank the kool-aid. I'm just waiting for the sad day when the uninvited bureaucrats come to my gate.

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 5:54 PM

God, I love being free to do what I want with what is taxed as if it were mine.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 1:51 PM

What you said would be funny if it weren't true. I'm going to use one of my wife's quotes to say this:

"We trade real labor for fake money to pay fraudulent taxes on stuff we don't own." (Doreen Hannes)

I wish I had thought of it. Anyway, that about puts it in a nutshell I think.

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 5:59 PM

BCStoned, I believe we DO have an assigned value. $68,000 or some such, I think. Gives the term 'human resources' a whole new meaning. I got to looking at my 18 year old's birth certificate one day a couple of years ago. The border looked similar to the border of a dollar bill. In very small print at the bottom it reads: "American Banknote Company". You can imagine the words that came out of my mouth upon that discovery.

As long as we continue to play their game and agreeing to 'contract' with them we will continue to be their slaves.

As for this comment,

"Continue to fight for the privilege of paying taxes on property. Just be thankful that you are not taxed on the air that you consume. Be thankful for the little things permitted by government."

I assume this was meant to be a slap upside my confused head, though I can't figure why. If you have something to say, say it man. I'm listening, as I'm sure others are. It's obvious to me you are not ignorant. I haven't tried to wrap my brain around anarcho-capitalism yet, but I guess I'll have to work on it if you and I are to have a basis for discourse. :)

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 6:19 PM

Wheels, have you heard what DNR stands for? Do Nothing Right.

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 6:22 PM

*Judge rules against city of Jackson in annexation lawsuit*

http://www.semissourian.com/story/190417...

-- Posted by dchannes on Tue, Oct 16, 2012, at 7:12 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

Want to comment?

In order to participate in semissourian.com's forums, you must be a registered member of the site. Once registered and logged in, you can post comments to existing threads or post new threads of your own. Click below to register now (it's free!). If you're already registered, just start commenting and posting threads.