[SeMissourian.com] Overcast ~ 50°F  
Freeze Warning
Friday, Oct. 31, 2014
Post reply Read replies (29) More threads Create thread

Charities
Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 3:03 PM:

If you are bombarded with requests for donations, this will be of interest!

As you open your pocketbooks for the next natural disaster, please keep these facts in mind:

The American Red Cross President and CEO Marsha J. Evans' salary for the year was$951,957 plus expenses.

The United Way President Brian Gallagher receives a $675,000 base salary along with numerous expense benefits.

UNICEF CEO Caryl M. Stern receives $1,900,000 per year (158K) per month, plus all expenses including a ROLLS ROYCE. 4.4 cents per donated dollar goes to the cause.

Susan G Komen CEO Hala G. Moddelmog, was paid $531,924 in 2010 and the other top executives received more than $5 MM split among them.

The Salvation Army Commissioner Todd Bassett receives a salary of only $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization. 96 percent of donated dollars go to the cause.

The American Legion National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families, and youth!

* The Veterans of Foreign Wars National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families, and youth!

* The Disabled American Veterans National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families, and youth!

* The Military Order of Purple Hearts National Commander receives a$0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families, and youth!

* The Vietnam Veterans Association National Commander receives a$0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families, and youth!

No further comment is necessary.

Replies

The information is a bit old, and some of it is inaccurate. Marsha Evans left the Red Cross in 2010. Her replacement, Gail McGovern, was paid about $500,000 as of 2011.

Brian Gallagher, still with United Way, reportedly earned $1,037,140 in 2010.

Todd Bassett was no longer National Commander of the Salvation Army as of 2010. His replacement, Israel L. Gaither, was estimated to be paid somewhere between $79,389 and $243,248 annually. The Salvation Army does not report its expenses to the IRS, so his actual salary is not known.

UNICEF's CEO, Anthony Lake, earned a 2010 salary of $201,351, according to the organization.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 3:56 PM

Yep, more e-mail forwards for the gullible to pass along.

Not a single one of those veterans charities truly pays their head $0. The VFW & DAV both pay at least 300-400k to their chief execs.

-- Posted by Nil on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 4:23 PM

Ya, well color me red. Charities give 100% of what they collect to the cause they collect for. My bad. Sorry Mel.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 8:04 PM

Rick

I don't know. It's just Internet garbage.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 8:04 AM

"No further comment is necessary."

That was attached to the original e-mail, according to the Urban Legends website. Methinks it was added to discourage anyone from posting contrary information.

Charity Watch is a good site for checking up on charities before giving.

www.charitywatch.org/

Most of the Charities I support are Catholic Charities, but not all Catholic Charities use their monies wisely. That is also the case with Veteran's charities. Just because it says 'veterans' in the name doesn't mean it helps veterans. Look up the Paralyzed Veterans of America, for example.

There are good charities and bad ones. Efficient charities and professional fundraisers. When you give, give wisely, so your monies help those who need help, and don't just put more money in the pockets of the fundraisers.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 8:07 AM

There are good charities and bad ones. Efficient charities and professional fundraisers. When you give, give wisely, so your monies help those who need help, and don't just put more money in the pockets of the fundraisers.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 8:07 AM

Which was the point of the Internet garbage thread.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 8:12 AM

According to CharityWatch.org, Humane Society of the United States has a "D" rating with them.

Those people are real crooks, to be sure.

-- Posted by dchannes on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 11:43 AM

Wheels,

Most of the Catholic Charities I support are overseas charities: the Catholic Medical Mission Board, Catholic Near-East Welfare Association, Catholic Relief Services, etc.

Catholic Charities USA lost my support when they sent out e-mails encouraging us to support the health care bill. I've sent them nothing, on the national level, since. They do operate local food pantries, but my advice is to give directly to the food pantry rather than the national organization. There are a lot of liberal Catholics...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 12:26 PM

"I just don't think a liberal is smart enough to spend what I earn."

They know how to spend it, but that's not to say they know how to spend it wisely. That's why 5 trillion in new debt since 2009 has bought us only $1.6 trillion in additional GDP.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 2:27 PM

"Which was the point of the Internet garbage thread."

I agree, it was probably well-intentioned when it was first created. The problem with those FWD:FWD:FWD: emails is that some people tend to 'tweak' the information along the way, so the email you receive may not be the email that was originally written. You also never know how long ago it was written, unless you do a follow-up.

The original may have had factual data, and then someone who had a bone to pick with, say, UNICEF added a completely false bit about the salary and Rolls-Royce provided to the CEO. Then the forward it along. A few recipients later, someone who didn't like United Way added an extra '0' to the salary and sent it along.

The part about the military charities appears to be a recent addition. I take it someone with a liking for military charities added sometime since 2010, to bolster charitable giving in their direction.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 3:05 PM

Wisely researching to make sure your charitable giving will be well spent returns a clear conscience and self satisfaction.

Casting one's bread upon the waters of faith returns tenfold.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 7:56 PM

Chairty Navigator is also a good source for checking up on charities.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 12:16 PM

I resurrected this thread because we are moving into the 'season of giving'.

I read somewhere that more than a third of all charitable giving occurs in December, and that a fourth of it occurs in the last week of the year.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 4:37 PM

Nothing wrong with food banks helping folks in need. I just wonder though about folks with children getting free lunches at school that have the government card for food at home, Friday backpacks of food from the school, and coats for kids among other things... and we still have children going to bed hungry.

The poor will always be among us. I doubt if anyone reading these threads would not be delighted to provide a meal/s for someone hungry, but the constant nagging by so many liberal do gooders running food drives seems to me more about "look what I'm doing for the poor" than true charity.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 5:08 PM

Nope, never worked with a food bank or the like. Local nobody food drives I support, but like Me'Lange points out, the big boys game is not my cup of tea. Most times if you follow the money there is a high paid pointy head getting a big salary to run the thing.

I have been pleased to often spend money to support the Salvation Army, Teen Challenge and Habitat for Humanity. And giving a frozen turkey to a senior citizen center is a hoot because it's always appreciated much more than it costs. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 9:55 PM

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 4:43 PM

That's very admirable. I give through various charities, and to the needy through my Church.

The problem is always in determing 'need'. I was a delivery Santa for a toy giveaway programme a number of years ago. At the time, I was just starting out on a job after leaving the military, and was living in a dumpy apartment subsisting on balogna and canned goods until I could get my budget stabilized. I did not consider myself 'needy' by any means. Yet, as we visited the homes of the 'needy', I couldn't help but notice that most of them had more and newer goods than I could ever have afforded on my salary.

We delivered toys to families that already had a room full of toys under the tree. There were console televisions with video game devices hooked to them, home computers at a time when not every family had a home computer, and all the latest toys. With the proliferation of programmes designed to provide the needy with toys, many of them found that they could sign up for all or most of them, and their children were flooded with toys. Some even complained of the quality and choice of the toys we delivered.

That's not to say there were none that were needy, but they were the exception rather than the rule.

Now, I'll grant that you never know another person's story, and there may have been deep-seated need not visible beneath that which was seen. But, to the naked eye, the 'needy' often appeared to be less in need than the generous souls that came to their aid.

My father spoke of a similar dilemma when was involved in such a programme many years ago. The selection process for 'needy' sometimes leaves something to be desired. If they are chosen from those already receiving an abundance of aid, the 'help', methinks, may be more of a crutch for perpetuating their condition than a cure.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 6:10 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

Want to comment?

In order to participate in semissourian.com's forums, you must be a registered member of the site. Once registered and logged in, you can post comments to existing threads or post new threads of your own. Click below to register now (it's free!). If you're already registered, just start commenting and posting threads.