[SeMissourian.com] Overcast ~ 36°F  
River stage: 14.39 ft. Rising
Saturday, Dec. 20, 2014
Post reply Read replies (78) More threads Create thread

McCaskill or Akin.,..who will you choose as Senator from Missouri?
Posted by voyager on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 4:30 PM:

OK, lets cut to the chase, who gets your vote for the Senate seat... Claire McCaskill or Todd Akin.

One or the other will win the Missouri Senate race and may very well decide which party will control the Senate! So whom will you choose? So carefully consider yor choice.

Replies

I can't stand to vote for either.

-- Posted by 356 on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 5:24 PM

I like Akin better than McCaskill by a long shot.

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 6:03 PM

I like Akin better than McCaskill by a long shot.

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 6:03 PM

Seriously?

I agree with Observation. There is no way he is capable of representing Missouri! Even his own party tried to get him to quit. If they are afraid, don't you think you should be!

-- Posted by ssoutheast on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 6:29 PM

dc would like an ax murderer, a rapist...oh

you all know where I'm going with this.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 7:27 PM

Very simple choice Akin. We don't need another 6 year rubber stamp of obama.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 8:04 PM

Jonathan Dine

-- Posted by Simon Jester on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 8:12 PM

Make that 2 for Jonathan.

ssoutheast, I don't make decisions based upon what politicians are or are not afraid of.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 9:24 PM

Anyone but McCaskill.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 11:43 PM

So, Old John, the devil looks good huh????

Akin is an a** and an embarrassment to mankind.

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Sat, Sep 29, 2012, at 6:36 AM

From the Joplin Globe:

Your View: Look at the records

By Rita Crowell Special to The Globe

DIAMOND, Mo. -- Instead of haggling over Missouri Republican senatorial candidate Todd Akin's use of the words "legitimate" rape for which he has apologized a multitude of times, let us look at his voting record as a House of Representatives member versus Sen. Claire McCaskill's voting record on four of the same issues in the present Congress.

The four issues are as follows:

1. Vote to repeal Obamacare.

2. Ryan Budget Act to help restore the nation's financial health.

3. Cut, cap and balance, i.e., cut federal spending, cap future federal spending and balance the budget.

4. Strip taxpayers funding for abortions.

Replies: Akin -- yes; McCaskill -- no.

The two following issues voted on in the House of Representatives with Todd Akin votes of "yes" are as follows:

1. Reversing the president's ban on offshore drilling -- i.e., the ban raises gas prices and kills high paying American jobs.

2. National Right to Carry Law -- allows licensed, concealed weapon permit holders in one state to be valid in neighboring states.

The following two issues voted on in the Senate:

1. Capping the taxpayers' bailout of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac -- would cap the taxpayers' liability for these two quasi-federal entities. (McCaskill voted no.)

2. Earmark Elimination Act 2012 -- would eliminate earmarks and wasteful spending on bills before Congress. (McCaskill voted yes.)

http://www.joplinglobe.com/editorial/x35...

-- Posted by dchannes on Sat, Sep 29, 2012, at 11:27 AM

I cannot vote for Akin.

-- Posted by Username1 on Sat, Sep 29, 2012, at 11:35 AM

"......... and an embarrassment to mankind."

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Sat, Sep 29, 2012, at 6:36 AM

I can't see why that bothers you so much.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Sep 29, 2012, at 11:45 AM

Could be the way I go too, Rick.

-- Posted by Username1 on Sat, Sep 29, 2012, at 11:49 AM

At least Ryan had a plan. Talk about a charade, this recovery talk is that. What has recovered?

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Sep 29, 2012, at 12:56 PM

"Thanks dchannes you have established my conviction"

-- Posted by Observations and Thoughts on Sat, Sep 29, 2012, at 12:38 PM

That statement seems so 'akin' to fanatical worship, I just wanted to see it again.

-- Posted by dchannes on Sun, Sep 30, 2012, at 9:59 AM

-- Posted by dchannes on Sat, Sep 29, 2012, at 11:27 AM

You are missing the point.

He tried rationalize rape.

He incorrectly discussed female biology, and claimed it was "doctors" whom he discussed this with.

You simply can't play that off and apologize for it.

-- Posted by Rational.Thought on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 12:41 PM

dc would like an ax murderer, a rapist...oh -- Posted by howdydoody on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 7:27 PM

How many posts do you have here howdy?

-- Posted by Dug on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 1:43 PM

Rational.Thought, I don't know what "point" you think I missed. You mean your statement: "He tried rationalize rape."? How so?

That's not what he did. Seems like, if the facts don't suit you, you make them up as you go along.

-- Posted by dchannes on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 1:54 PM

"He tried [to] rationalize rape."

No, he did not.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 1:56 PM

Shapley Hunter & dchannes

Yes, he did try to rationalize it.

So don't try to explain his words for him. They were undefendable.

What is acceptable rape? Did the women who got pregnant want to be raped? When a woman because pregnant from rape, that makes it Legitimate?

You see, this is more than just about apologizing. He actually held the notion that you don't get pregnant from being raped. He actually tried to rationalize rape as a defense for prolife.

Sorry, but his explanation what flat out terrible. There is no way around it.

Fact is. Rape is terrible, but it happens. To try and downplay it to justify a stance abortion is asinine.

-- Posted by Rational.Thought on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 5:03 PM

Thanks dchannes you have established my conviction that Akin is a mental moron and confirmed that he is contributory to the Republican Party's intentional congressional gridlock that has stymied the Country's economic recovery.

-- Posted by Observations and Thoughts on Sat, Sep 29, 2012, at 12:38 PM

Actually,

Most republicans I know can't stand him either. Most didn't even like him before he made the comments.

-- Posted by Rational.Thought on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 5:05 PM

What is acceptable rape?-- Posted by Rational.Thought on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 5:03 PM

One that is legitimate. One that is not a lie, one that is not consensual sec last night but after thinking about it the person declares it is rape today, one that meets the terms of the law which define rape.

Maybe you're confused about what legitimate means. Here's the definition for you of the word "legitimate": Conforming to the law or to rules.

For a person who purports to be knowledgeable on things your sure have a hard time with simple words.

-- Posted by Dug on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 5:08 PM

"What is acceptable rape?"

He never said acceptable. If his words are indefensible, why not use his actual words.

"Did the women who got pregnant want to be raped?"

No, or it wouldn't be rape.

"When a woman because pregnant from rape, that makes it Legitimate?"

No, and that's not what he said. 'Legitimate Rape', like 'Legitimate Fraud', 'Legitimate Homicide', 'Legitimate Theft', etc., is a crime that fits within the definition thereof.

When a person dies under mysterious circumstances, an inquiry is frequently held to determine if it is a 'legitimate homicide', as opposed to a suicide, accidental death, etc.

Insurances talk about 'legitmate theft' all the time. The contrary to that is not 'illegitmate theft', but rather insurance fraud. If a person reports as stolen an insured item that was not actually stolen, then it is not 'legitimate theft'.

'Legitimate rape', therefore, would be a rape that actually occurred against the woman's wishes. If a woman has consentual sex which is detected by her husband, boyfriend, parents, supervisors, etc., she may try to claim she was raped to cover the consentual nature of it. It does happen. I posted here on this forum a number of cases where women were charged with filing false reports of rape. Those would not be legitimate rapes.

That's not to defend his lack of understanding of biology, but biology is not a requisite for the office of the Senate. I would think that an understand of tax laws would be a requisite for those who pass tax laws, so I would find Ms. McCaskill's failure to pay her taxes slightly more inexcusable than his failure to understand biology.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 5:15 PM

Here is why I'll vote for Todd Akin.

Claire McCaskill owed over $300,000 in back taxes she failed to pay and then got caught. Then she billed taxpayers $88,000 for plane flights on her private plane for campaigning and then got caught. She was the Missouri state auditor but dodged her taxes. She also voted for this we find out in a story just out:

"According to the U.S. Treasury, the debt of the U.S. government climbed by a total of $1,275,901,078,828.74 in fiscal 2012, which ended yesterday. That means the federal government borrowed approximately an additional $10,855 for each household in the United States just over the past twelve months." The story: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/debt-jum...

Todd Akin voted against borrowing $10,855 for my family this past year. McCaskill voted to indebt my family and raise my taxes.

Good bye Claire.

-- Posted by Dug on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 5:32 PM

You want a Claire McCaskill quote regarding the environment?

"The good news is that emissions are down because of the recession."

You'd vote for an idiot that says that? The video is here:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7a0_13436...

-- Posted by Dug on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 6:34 PM

"Yes, he did try to rationalize it."

-- Posted by Rational.Thought on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 5:03 PM

yes he did, no he didn't, yes he did...

Maybe if you say it very loud that will make it true?

Never mind what he really said on tape, huh?

" Most republicans I know can't stand him either. Most didn't even like him before he made the comments."

-- Posted by Rational.Thought on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 5:05 PM

Maybe if you wish hard enough it will make this statement true also.

-- Posted by dchannes on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 6:25 PM

What is acceptable rape?-- Posted by Rational.Thought on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 5:03 PM

One that is legitimate. One that is not a lie, one that is not consensual sec last night but after thinking about it the person declares it is rape today, one that meets the terms of the law which define rape.

Maybe you're confused about what legitimate means. Here's the definition for you of the word "legitimate": Conforming to the law or to rules.

For a person who purports to be knowledgeable on things your sure have a hard time with simple words.

-- Posted by Dug on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 5:08 PM

Really? So you know have to try and pick at word definitions to defend your position?

How sad it is that you are so buried into party politics you choose to support such an asinine statement.

Your attempt to rationalize what he said has do with his comments.

According to Aikin's belief, legitimate rape is determined by pregnancy. So if you do get raped and get pregnant, it probably wasn't real "rape".

-- Posted by Rational.Thought on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 3:50 PM

"So you know have to try and pick at word definitions to defend your position?"

Hmmmm. That sounds curiously like Mr. Obama's statement to George Stephanopoulos that he is getting pretty desperate when he needs a dictionary to make his point. Apparently, Mr. Obama (like Mr. Clinton before him) believes words mean what he wants them to mean, and not what the dictionary says they mean.

Mr. Obama was challenging Mr. Stephanopoulos on the notion that the Affordable Care Act was a tax, based on the definition of taxes. Mr. Obama repeatedly said it was not a tax.

Curiously, the Supreme Court upheld it on the basis of its being a tax. Mr. Obama has not challenged the idea of it being a tax since.

"According to Aikin's belief, legitimate rape is determined by pregnancy."

No, that is also not what was said.

If his words were so damning, why the need to rephrase them.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 3:57 PM

Admittedly I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, but when I heard "legitimate rape", I figured it meant the woman was actually raped as opposed to consensual sex, then the next morning she screams rape for revenge, money, or whatever. (see the Kobe Bryant saga for example)

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 4:35 PM

"...when I heard "legitimate rape", I figured it meant the woman was actually raped as opposed to consensual sex, then the next morning she screams rape for revenge, money, or whatever."

I think that's the way everyone except the Democrats interpreted it.

They then began spouting nonsense about 'illegitimate rape', which Akin never said.

Even in Ms. McCaskill's ads, she does not quote him properly, but claims he tried to 'legitimize rape'. That's also not what he did.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 4:49 PM

The irony is that ol' 50%er Ms. McCaskill's ad's arguments against Akin reinforce exactly why I support him. Student loan debt is killing the middle class, minimum wage needs adult supervision, and Medicare is headed toward - no, leading us toward the economic, financial cliff. We need leadership, Ms. McCaskill's has not provided it. Todd Akin's team will.

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 8:27 AM

The essentiaal matter is the Missouri electorate may very well be the deciding vote that controls the Senate. What Akin said or didn't say is not the important issue. We can no longer affort the Obamas inexperience and the Reid obstructionism. If McCaskill remains in the Senate she will continue her "Progressive" ways.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 10:07 PM

Even in Ms. McCaskill's ads, she does not quote him properly, but claims he tried to 'legitimize rape'. That's also not what he did.

And that is simply false! Shifting the words spoken to someone else won't work.

Now that Akin admits he was dishonest on his tax returns, and that appears to be what republicans are holding against McCaskill, I expect most will be changing their 'tune'.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 6:42 AM

I wonder what other dummmmmb ideas float around in Akins head,, he has no brain.

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 6:43 AM

"And that is simply false!"

No. It's not. The only word quoted in the 'in his own words' ad is the word 'legitimate'. They do not quote him directly, on the usage.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 7:11 AM

claims he tried to 'legitimize rape'. That's also not what he did.

Show me where she says he tried to legitimize rape.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 7:48 AM

- Posted by Reasoning on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 6:42 AM

How was Akin dishonest on his tax returns?

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 6:08 PM

"Show me where she says he tried to legitimize rape."

Well, you got me there. I finally saw the commercial again (I don't watch much television). I apparenlty misquoted her misquote. The commercial says he claims only some rapes are legitimate, which is still not what he said.

As I've said: if his words were so damning, why aren't they actually using his words?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 7:56 PM

So you were wrong, I think it would be nice if you could say you misquoted Ms. McCaskill.

How was Akin dishonest on his tax returns?

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 6:08 PM

"Congressman Todd Akin failed to report almost $130,000 in Missouri legislative pension income over the past 10 years on his congressional financial disclosure report, his office acknowledged this morning. The acknowledgment came after a St. Louis Post-Dispatch inquiry into why Akin showed no Missouri pension payments on the congressional form. Last year, Akin reported another $355,000 in undisclosed property assets after a Post-Dispatch inquiry." I guess I should have said income tax evasion?

-- Posted by Reasoning on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 8:41 PM

"So you were wrong, I think it would be nice if you could say you misquoted Ms. McCaskill."

I did. I said I misquoted her misquote. I have no idea what Ms. McCaskill said herself, I only know what her ad says (erroneously) that Mr. Akin said.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 9:10 PM

The financial disclosure statement has nothing to do with income tax evasion. All holders of political office are required to file a statement of their finances to aid in identifying any potential conflicts of interest. It is not a tax document, and it does not determine tax levels.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 9:13 PM

Thanks wheels, I will be 13 next month, I larn a lot from you know it all elders. Hope I am never raped legitemately.

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 5:57 AM

Wont be Claire. I am tired of getting phone call after phone call and knocks on my door waking me up ( due to me working odd hours ie: 2 AM till 4 PM and later some days) and when I ask to be put on a do not call list they say they are exempt due to their free speech. Last time I stated I was exempt from paying taxes due to their laziness.

I also asked a question about her stand on a issue and she blew me off.

As far as the rape issue goes, I have a sister who was raped and got pregnant back in the 70's. The dr. said it was rare for that to happen even back then. I have almost 30 years in health care and I know a litle about medical stuff now. The drs I have talked to are split on that concept. Like a lot of things you have to make your own decision on what is right and what is a myth.

What about Claires ads where she has Akin saying something and says he is against something but he never says that in the ad? IE: he did say something about America having the equvilent of stage 4 cancer but she said it was about student loans. I never heard him say student loans in the ad.

I refuse to vote party lines and those who do need to learn to think for themselves. I know there will be typos in this but after a long work week and very little sleep I dont care.

This is just my opinion and thats all!

-- Posted by joekool on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 7:08 AM

"The drs I have talked to are split on that concept." Seriously?

So you, like Akin, believe that a woman's body can magically stop an egg from being fertilized in the case of rape, that there is some supernatural intervention? This is why Akin would be a dangerous step backward. The fact that he is already a Congressman is scary enough. He acts on what he believes, and he's got some wacky ideas on student loans, medicare, women and basic disater relief for our fellow citizens. This guy would fit in just fine in Saudi Arabia: strict religious law, burkas for all the girls, prayer to help drought victims and the elderly...

You may not like McCaskill, but just because Akin has a little 'R' next to his name on the ballot is no reason to vote for him.

-- Posted by Crenshaw78 on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 8:58 AM

Claire McCaskill pushed Obamacare down our throats against the will of 70% of Missourians. Obamacare has 20 new taxes in it and the biggest ones will hit the middle class - yet she avoids paying over $300,000 in taxes and billed taxpayers for $88,000 in flights she took on her private plane -oops! Had to pay that back too.

Akin isn't pushing taxes on all of us. Claire McCaskill is the most loyal supporter and voter for Obama's policies. If you want higher utility bills, higher gasoline prices and more taxes vote Claire. Otherwise vote Akin.

-- Posted by Dug on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 11:26 AM

Less than 1% of rapes result in pregnancy, says one study.

As much as 5%, says another.

That's why the confusing, conflicting statements from doctors on the subject.

So, the DOCTORS are confused also.

Here's some stupid things Claire has said:

Clair McCaskill says she wants to eliminate special tax breaks oil companies get. McCaskill says the subsidy amounts to 38 billion dollars over a decade. This could raise gas prices. When asked about raising taxes on oil companies she had this to say, "They have the ability to reduce what they owe the government by special deals they have in the tax code. They get to deduct the royalties they pay other countries for drilling there from what they owe the United States of America."

Huh? Get that microphone out of her face!

Regarding her earmark bill:

"To vote against a moratorium on earmarking right now would be a very dangerous vote. You know, one of those votes that tells the American people that Washington is out of touch."

Again, huh?

Talk about a tax cheat, Claire was found to owe $300,000 to the IRS. No wonder she doesn't want to release her tax returns.

In addition, Claire is hailed by Planned "Parenthood", the group that provides government funded abortions, as a "Defender" against misguided attempts to bar Planned Parenthood health center participation in federal health programs.

Anymore, as I try to wade through the BS put forth for the masses to argue over, I have to keep narrowing it all down to whether or the subject is for life and health or against it.

In my mind there are basically two issues that concern me the most:

1.Preserving life.

2.Assuring a healthy food supply, which we don't have.

I will never say that murder is okay, either for adults or babies and I will fight against legalized methods for the commissions of those murders.

Meanwhile, as we quibble over what lying politician we are more in favor of and why, we are being made sick to the point of death by the policies of the FDA.

By the way, I could just as easily slam Akin as well. He's no saint and is not the brightest bulb either. I think Hector Maldonado was the best choice for the GOP nomination, but nobody knew him and he didn't have the money to really campaign. That's why I supported Sarah Steelman, who didn't have a whole bunch of money either, but she had name recognition. I know her better since our group worked with her some and didn't buy into the false advertizing put out by Brunner, who in my view, took himself out of the race along with Steelman, by using that tactic.

-- Posted by dchannes on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 12:28 PM

Reasoning

You still haven't answered how failure to report income on a congressional financial disclosure form is income tax evasion.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 7:52 PM

"In October 2011 Claire McCaskill admitted she did not pay more than $300,000 in Missouri property taxes on her $2 million airplane over four years."

I thought the liberals called those corporate jets now?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 8:10 PM

You still haven't answered how failure to report income on a congressional financial disclosure form is income tax evasion.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 7:52 PM

No, I haven't. Because I haven't seen his tax form I can't verify the claim. Did he include this income or not?

-- Posted by Reasoning on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 5:48 AM

No, I haven't. Because I haven't seen his tax form I can't verify the claim. Did he include this income or not? -- Posted by Reasoning on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 5:48 AM

Is the press - McCaskill's friend - reporting that he failed to pay any taxes???

-- Posted by Dug on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 7:33 AM

McCaskill may claim to be #50 on the left/right scale, but to me, she'll always be #2. :)

-- Posted by dchannes on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 4:58 PM

There are too many stupid congressmen in DC already, so why vote for the dumbest one of all, the good womans doctor Aching.

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 5:52 AM

The problem, Dexter, is Ms. McCaskill will vote for Reid to be Majority leader again and the Democrats retain in the Senate majority.

Can you in all hosesty approve of Reid do nothing obstrucdtionism. What has he accomplished as Majority Leader? What, Dexter, what?

-- Posted by voyager on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 9:46 PM

Clair NcCaskill garners herself an "F" Rating from the NRA. I got the flyer today in the mail. I knew she was against guns, but wow.

http://www.nrapvf.org/grades-endorsement...

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Oct 12, 2012, at 3:28 PM

A new national story regarding Claire McCaskill. Her husband was recorded on tape making deals in the US Senate dining area with stimulus money guarantees that his wife Claire voted for. This story just broke. Who recorded the conversations? Mr. McCaskill's own chief financial officer that worked for him. The tapes have been released.

McCaskill is spinning the fact that the guy - who worked for her husband - is a former felon. Sorry honey, he recorded his personal conversation selling stimulus benefits via his low housing connections and making a commission on them. One included a federal stimulus grant of $5.5 MILLION in Missouri. I don't care if John Wayne Gacy or Hannibal Lector recorde the conversation - it's his voice, in the US Senate dining room, selling stimulus deals his wife voted for in the Senate.

But of course Claire cares deeply about you and would like to tuck you in bed at night. She cares deeply about the poor. LOL! This 1%er, tax dodging liberal democrat doesn't give a tinkers dam about you.

The whole story:

http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/18/whistl...

-- Posted by Dug on Sat, Oct 20, 2012, at 11:28 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

Want to comment?

In order to participate in semissourian.com's forums, you must be a registered member of the site. Once registered and logged in, you can post comments to existing threads or post new threads of your own. Click below to register now (it's free!). If you're already registered, just start commenting and posting threads.