[SeMissourian.com] Overcast ~ 43°F  
River stage: 14.49 ft. Rising
Monday, Dec. 22, 2014
Post reply Read replies (92) More threads Create thread

"It's Not Nice To Fool With Mother Nature"
Posted by dchannes on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 12:21 PM:

Remember that commercial slogan? Well now they want to genetically modify insects...for our own good they say:

http://pharmabiz.com/NewsDetails.aspx?ai...

Replies

No. It's a huge money maker. They don't care who or what they hurt in the process.

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 12:29 PM

This is a video on the first long term feeding study of GMO corn to rats in France. Our entire country is a medical experiment on this stuff. The video is 12 minutes long and worth watching and forwarding. Frankly, I do not want to eat this stuff.

I believe we are eating 85% GMO corn and 95% GMO soy beans. They put soy bean oil in everything. I even noticed they put it in tuna that's canned in water. Read your labels and you'll see what I'm saying.

http://www.activistpost.com/2012/09/gmo-...

Oh, and remember, RoundUp is a Monsanto product and they are owned by the drug company Pfizer. (Cause the problem, provide the solution. They get us coming AND going).

-- Posted by dchannes on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 3:41 PM

Just to be clear, GMO is NOT the process of hybridizing plants. They change the DNA and patent it. This topic is a deep rabbit hole.

-- Posted by dchannes on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 3:45 PM

Is this information just too complicated for everybody?

-- Posted by dchannes on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 5:50 PM

"Feed-Your-Head!!! FEED-YOUR-HEAD!!!"...

Sorry, couldn't stand it any longer!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 6:15 PM

OK, a bit-more serious here. What I fear is, once the "door is opened"? It'll be practically-impossible, to "close"-it again.

And I don't like some of the---"organizations" I read about there, either. In particular, ONE-time-still-untested group (E.U.), deciding for the welfare of all.

African "Killer-Bees" didn't used to be so wide-spread, either, until...???

"Pandoras' Box", in-deed....

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 6:22 PM

Whether it's too complicated, flat uninteresting, or just viewed as another step in the string of mass food production following those of planting methods, pesticides, herbicides, and hybrids - one suggestion is that interest is inherently tied to the pocketbook.

This USDA table shows the percentage of personal disposable income spent on food between 1929 and 2012 - http://www.ers.usda.gov/datafiles/Food_E.... In 1980, 15.4% of disposable income was spent on food, in 2010, down to 11.4%. Interesting to note the growth in food dollars spent away from home, perhaps backing up the observation of restaurants everywhere and biasing the dollars spent per meal, resulting in the flattening of the slope of declining percentages.

In essence, food remains relatively cheap, plentiful, and safe. Until a substantial scare is put out that this will change either as a result of or a lack of GMO - IMO, it will be difficult to garner any significant interest.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 6:33 PM

The way to get around the GMO and BT corn is to eat genetically unimproved possums.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 6:52 PM

When you factor in that the number of farms, the percentage of the food dollar rec'd by farmers, and the consolidation at the top of the agricultural market place has all been negative for independent farms, and for growing families, the cost of this cheap "food" is actually worsened economic viability, lower nutritional value, and destruction of private property ownership.

What are those things worth?

Of major interest to me is that tumors more than a quarter of the body size of the animal elicits no concern. Wow.

Also, this is far from the only study that shows dangers of GMO consumption. It is simply the first of such studies to be done over the lifetime of the test animal.

If this does not bother you, then what can I say? Go ahead, bon apetit. I thought it appropo to say that in french since it's a french study that brought us this scientific information.

-- Posted by dchannes on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 7:07 PM

"Until a substantial scare is put out.."

Are you suggesting that this is a scare tactic being put forth by me? Pfizer is selling the drugs to "treat" the cancer they help create. That's a fact. Did you even watch the video? Did you study this out? 60% increase in breast tumors...hello? Never mind. Maybe you're a leg man. (BTW, the revolution will not be televised.)

Go get yourself some GMO popcorn with fake butter on top and watch a movie.

-- Posted by dchannes on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 7:18 PM

Do you folks on Speak Out believe you have a right to know whether you are eating GMO or not?

And here's a challenge, not one of you can argue that the information I have put out here is incorrect. I double dog dare you.

-- Posted by dchannes on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 7:22 PM

I didn't view the links provided, solely because the lead-in was little more than a lame 'check this out'. Suggest to provide some teaser lines or certifiable quotes from the source prior to the link in order to better engage interest.

Also, when you do get a response to a query, suggest to engage rather than bash the respondent. At this point, I would be inclined to fully and whole-heartedly support GMO, solely to tick you off. Before you even go down the road of "I didn't bash", consider communications is not about the message sent, but the message received.

The burden of the argument is on you. Thus, it is up to you to provide sufficient proof that you are right, not the burden of the not-yet-believers to provide proof you are wrong.

Suggest my use of 'until' indicates insufficient scare tactics to alter my perspectives at this point in time.

Citing the French for anything as a credible source must overcome the already existing serious questions here about that country's honor, integrity, ethics, and credibility, based on personal past experiences with French methods and related crap.

You may indeed have a valid argument and concern, but suggest to view the successes of the climate change advocates using similar 'bash people over the head' sales methods when considering your methods of approach.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 7:50 PM

fxpwt, what do you call bashing over the head? I think you are being a bit sensitive.

Suggest, remove hands from eyes. Suggest you watch video. What I posted was just the latest information. If you will look, there's plenty more. Please understand, I am not trying to bash anyone, but I am astonished at the lack of interest in something so serious. By the way, global warming does not factor in this. The earth cycles...big deal...nothing new and nothing to panic over, IMO.

If you want to malign or ignore information based solely on the ethnicity of the progenitors of information, you are seriously limiting your potential knowledge base. Is that wise?

Could you reference an ethnic group to whom you might give credence? Do you have any particular gender bias? If so, perhaps you could indicate your preference of gender based on past personal experience. English is okay, right? After all, we do speak a rather bastardized version of the language, and there are an awful lot of French words we have adopted into the language as well. (This IS kind of a bash. Sorry, you kind of asked for it).

How about the Indians, Italians, etc.?

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/gmo...

German lawsuit with American feeding trial:

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/Syngenta_Charged...

(Article regarding a letter sent to USDA Sec. Vilsack from Don Huber, plant pathologist and a professor emeritus from Purdue University): http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/02/re...

Here's a teaser line:

**Rats Fed GMO Had a 600% Increase in Death Over the Control Group**

http://www.activistpost.com/2012/09/gmo-...

ABC, CBS and NBC are no more credible. This ought to be enough to validate my position.

-- Posted by dchannes on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 9:39 PM

Has it occurred to anyone that the insects might just be more inteligent running the country than the present crop of politicians?

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 9:50 PM

LOL! No, but you DO have a point.

-- Posted by dchannes on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 10:44 PM

dc, A little late for me as just dropped in. I will entertain myself a bit by reading through the highlights of all I've missed while at work and then read and watch what you have provided.

Some of us have kept somewhat informed on the subject.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 11:01 PM

Mr. John, Usually it's me that's shows up late to the party!

I still think we have the right to eat good healthy food or junk, if we want. But we should have a clear choice. Right now, we don't.

The FDA's approval for the sale and consumption of GMO corn, soy beans, beets, tomatoes, etc., is NOT very reassuring since over 100,000 people are killed by, and 2 million have serious adverse reactions to(requiring hospitalization), the drugs they have approved. Those stats were pulled from their own website.

I believe the people who post on SO have the right to know that there's a very serious problem with our food supply. Some don't want to know. Some want to know but don't know what to do about it when they find out. Some already have some knowledge about the subject and want to know more.

fxpwt thought I should have made my post more appealing and accused me of bashing people over the head as a technique to sell something to people. Without looking into what I presented he compared the prevalence of GM food in the market place being a health hazard to global warming. That is ridiculous.

I'm not posting this info because it's fun to read and study or so that we all have something new to argue about. That's what the topic of politics is for.

By the comments on some of the other threads it's apparent to me that most of the people on here like to eat...me, too. :) All I'm trying to do is show the facts of the situation so that people can make an informed decision.

-- Posted by dchannes on Tue, Sep 25, 2012, at 9:13 AM

I make sure that all the food I buy is grown in Chile or Uruguay.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Tue, Sep 25, 2012, at 10:16 AM

BC, yes, those are good places to acquire GM products.

-- Posted by dchannes on Tue, Sep 25, 2012, at 10:28 AM

" BIOTECHNOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENTAL BIOSAFETY

IN THE FIELD OF AGRICULTURE AND FOOD PRODUCTION

Dr. Ashok Kumar Panigrahi, Balasore.

Techniques questioned:

Genetical modification of Agricultural Seeds- cotton, soya, maize, potato, rice and trees in the forest.

In 1988 PTO(US Patent and Trademark Office) issued patent on animal to Harvard Professors, Philip Lader and Timothy A. Stewart who had created a transgenic mouse having genes of the chicken and human being.

In 1994 US Food and Drug Administration approved Monsanto's r-BGH, a GE growth hormone, for injecting the dairy cows to enhance their milk yield in spite of experts warning that the resultant increase of IGF-1, a potent chemical hormone, linked to 400 -- 500 % higher risks of human breast, prostrate and colon cancer."

The whole story:

http://www.bioliege.org/biotechnology-an...

-- Posted by dchannes on Tue, Sep 25, 2012, at 10:36 AM

There is a rumor that the magnetic poles have already shifted closer to Russia. I haven't looked into it much. But, northern European countries had a doosie of a winter I heard. Whole towns buried under 20 and 30 feet, when normal is 6 or so.

-- Posted by dchannes on Tue, Sep 25, 2012, at 12:24 PM

This is true too .

I wonder what happens when one of these "super insects" bites a human being ? What is the affect on the human immune system ?

Has anyone considered this possibilty ?

-- Posted by Rɨck on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 12:33 PM

I think that is the point of the commission.;

-- Posted by Rational.Thought on Tue, Sep 25, 2012, at 3:33 PM

I think that is the point of the commission.;

-- Posted by Rational.Thought on Tue, Sep 25, 2012, at 3:33 PM

Genetic modification of plants and animals poses problems that have not been thoroughly studied. We have seen some studies on lab rats that are disturbing, at least.

-- Posted by dchannes on Tue, Sep 25, 2012, at 4:02 PM

The pole shift will not be a sudden , snap of the fingers event , like many think will happen on 12/21/12 .

-- Posted by Rɨck on Tue, Sep 25, 2012, at 1:53 PM

I think it's been happening for some time now. Like you say, little by little. And there has been talk of the ocean currents changing.

Also, there is a bubble in the oceanic waters, an uplifted portion, due to gravitational pulls from the Earth and Moon and the polar magnetism comes into play as well, when that gets jacked the swell or bulge, I think they call it, gets out of whack. Rumor is, it can cause coastal flooding, inland, quite a ways.

I don't know about all that. Haven't studied it. Just what I heard.

-- Posted by dchannes on Tue, Sep 25, 2012, at 6:10 PM

OK - fine. Found it unusually coincidental that the Oct/Nov issue of Mother Earth News arrived in the mail today. More apt to read when I have time to sit and study in my 'library', as opposed to sit and scan through a 12:51 video link online. I think the observation has been recorded as 'lean forward' reading (online) versus 'sit back' reading (paper).

One article entitled 'How to Avoid GM Food' cited that 'in the United States, 70 percent or more of the foods in your supermarket directly or indirectly contain genetically modified (GM) ingredients'. Apologies for not providing a link - they haven't yet posted this issue to their website www.motherearthnews.com.

Questions would be - if plant modification is already so well-entrenched, what's the problem with progressing to animals/organisms?

What are the qualifications of those doing the modifications - scientists modifying the correct target genes vs Jethro Bodines just throwing crap up against the wall to see what will stick?

As far as the herbicide / 'Round-Up' line - what proof is there that the herbicide was applied according to direction vs the 'if a little is good then a lot has to be real good' approach many use? Could the solution be as easy as making Round-Up and its related herbicides a regulated chemical that requires licensure by the state/country? Then again, sitting through a 4-hour video and answering a quiz will get you such a license at the local county extension office. Aside from having to sign for chemicals and their quantities and keeping logs of application gets to be a little tedious and may reduce the over-sprayers.

For pests or yields or whatever is the target, what are the alternatives other than GM towards meeting this goal. It seems that all the former 'good' chemicals and what-not have been outlawed due to their ill effects. Is the ultimate solution either get over it or do without or human population control to reduce the demand or ...?

As far as general public interest in this matter, consider another article in the SEMissourian about the EColi outbreak. If people aren't concerned enough to protect themselves with the preparation/consumption line of their food stock, why should they be concerned about the foodstock itself? Chuckle about seeing mechanics eating lunch, with their sandwiches bearing the black fingerprints from their hands. They are essentially ingesting a piece of everything they've touched since the last time they washed their hands. Perhaps the days-gone-by of religiously washing hands and preparing food was related to the perceived confidence in the food supply and general standard of cleanliness at the time?

As far as tying the GMO issue to climate change - suggest my previous post suggested the sales methods were the same, never indicating the issues themselves were correlated.

Not denying this is a credible concern, the doubt originates from the credibility of the proponents - like that Journet wing-nut ranting on climate change, or anything from a particular country/ethnicity from which my personal experience indicates an equal wing-nutted-ness.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Tue, Sep 25, 2012, at 7:39 PM

Russia Suspends Use of Genetically Modified Corn

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872...

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 9:50 AM

Russia Halts Imports of Monsanto Corn Over Cancer Fears

http://rt.com/business/news/russia-monsa...

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 9:55 AM

Russia Suspends Use of Genetically Modified Corn

http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/2012/09/...

I think it's interesting to note that Monsanto criticizes the study, saying it "does not meet minimum acceptable standards for this type of scientific research, the findings are not supported by the data presented, and the conclusions are not relevant for the purpose of safety assessment."

As far as I am aware, Monsanto never did such a thorough study themselves and FDA did not require it.

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 11:11 AM

There are many people who have worked for Monsanto in the past who now work for the government. Many of them work for the FDA and USDA. That's why Monsanto has no fear of the government shutting them down or forcing them to turn over seed for real scientific studies.

Look at Monsanto's Government Ties:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/monsanto...

They know their GMOs will take over the entire food production chain. That's what they want. They want to be the food gods.

Take their Bt potato New Leaf, the plant flowers and produces pollen, bees come and collect the pollen, then if those bees carry the pollen to a non-GMO plants flower, Monsanto says they have rights to the property then. They have sued and won many such cases.

http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/pubs/...

By the way, most, if not all, fast food restaurants use GM potatoes for their fries. And we wonder why we're seeing such a high rate of cancer incidents and other illnesses in this country? According to the American Institue for Cancer Research, the "Number of US Cancer Cases Expected to Rise 55 Percent Higher by 2030". They also say, we can avoid much of these cancers "By eating smart..". That's probably the most they can say without drawing themselves into a law suit with GM food manufacturers. I'm sure the AICR has their own Monsanto insiders as well.

http://www.aicr.org/press/press-releases...

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 11:44 AM

The AICR lists soy as one the foods that helps prevent cancer. I noticed that most of the studies were done primarily before GM soy beans took over the market.

http://preventcancer.aicr.org/site/News2...

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 11:57 AM

One thing that is not common knowledge, Greenland was not always covered with an ice sheet. Research indicates that much of the land in the country was able to support crops in it's fertile soil back around 1100 AD because of a global warming trend.

The fact is, the Earth's climate cycles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Wa...

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 9:15 AM

Food has long been used as a weapon by governments to control their populations. Stalin, Lenin, etc.

Mugabe accused of using food as political weapon in Zimbabwe

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jun...

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 12:45 PM

Published: Jul. 25, 2011 -- Activist Post

"Hungry people will do anything for food, which means that those who have control over food can use it as leverage. In 1974, Henry Kissinger suggested using food as a weapon to induce targeted population reduction in a previously classified 200-page report, 'National Security Study Memorandum 200': Implications of Worldwide Population Growth for U.S. Security and Overseas Interests."

http://nwoobserver.wordpress.com/2011/07...

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 12:56 PM

dchannes, Russia is expanding its grain production. Perhaps non-free-trade may have its hands in the banning of American grains and other produce.

Climate change benefit some who suggest this is caused by mankind, and they have the tools to fix it. Buy their products and save the earth. Good and successful business are adapt at using government force to sell their products.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 1:11 PM

"Good and successful business are adapt at using government force to sell their products.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 1:11 PM"

BCStoned, what do we call that? We need a new catch phrase. :) It's what happens when politicians are in business with private companies.

We need to remove ourselves from the WTO and flush the NAFTA and CAFTA down the toilet where they belong.

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 1:36 PM

dchannes, Crony Capitalism is alive and well serving the needs of men with miscreant character.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 2:47 PM

BC, "miscreant" is the perfect word to describe these people's characters. I hate to bore everyone with another GMO article, but I must. Most Americans are ignorant of this topic. :)

=GMO Scandal: The Long Term Effects of Genetically Modified Food on Humans=

"One of the great mysteries surrounding the spread of GMO plants around the world since the first commercial crops were released in the early 1990's in the USA and Argentina has been the absence of independent scientific studies of possible long-term effects of a diet of GMO plants on humans or even rats. (We DO have the French study now, see above. This is an older article.)Now it has come to light the real reason. The GMO agribusiness companies like Monsanto, BASF, Pioneer, Syngenta and others prohibit independent research."

http://www.globalresearch.ca/gmo-scandal...

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 7:20 PM

dc, The introduction of geneticly modified as needed to save the world was when the rice was to prevent blindness. I'm thinking those countries were vilified for rejecting.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 10:17 PM

Old John, You mean "Golden Rice"? Iowa State University(receives funding from USDA) did a study on Golden Rice.

This is an excerpt:

"science or fiction? One essential debate is on the science of biotechnology. "This will never be a precise technology," says Chee. "They can't defend it from a scientific basis because they haven't shown us good science yet." Golden Rice is a so-called "Second Generation" GM product, meaning it purports to have benefits for consumers, not just for producers. Yet from a scientific perspective, Golden Rice has the same drawbacks as the "First Generation" GM products, according to Ho.

Golden Rice is an unstable construct, says Ho, made from a combination of genetic material from viruses and bacteria that are associated with diseases in plants, as well as genes from non-food species. For example, each Golden Rice plant contains two promoters from the hazardous cauliflower mosaic virus, which Ho believes could spread by cross pollination or gene transfer and have enormous impacts on health and biodiversity. The product's instability also means that there is no guarantee that seeds from Golden Rice plants will retain the desirable traits over successive generations, according to Ho."

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~ethics/Go...

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 9:22 AM

dc, If the real concern was prevention of blindness due to lack of vitamin A, it would be more cost effective to show those folks how to grow normal crops with vitamin A. Carrots and sweet potatoes aren't that hard to grow.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 12:28 PM

I want to point out that Hispanics, in general, consume more corn as part of their diet and in light of the research studies done I see the following revelation as being consistent with those studies regarding the long term effects from the consumption of Genetically Engineered corn.

=Cancer surpasses heart disease as cause of death among Hispanics=

Among the 10 years of available data, 2000 to 2009, the researchers found that Hispanics have "lower incidence and death rates than non-Hispanic whites for all cancers combined and for the four most common cancers (breast, prostate, lung and bronchus, and colorectum).

"However, Hispanics have higher incidence and mortality rates for cancers of the stomach, liver, uterine cervix, and gallbladder, reflecting greater exposure to cancer-causing infectious agents, lower rates of screening for cervical cancer, differences in lifestyle and dietary patterns, and possibly genetic factors."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/natio...

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 12:47 PM

"dc, If the real concern was prevention of blindness due to lack of vitamin A, it would be more cost effective to show those folks how to grow normal crops with vitamin A. Carrots and sweet potatoes aren't that hard to grow.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 12:28 PM"

You mean we don't have to genetically modify rice to prevent blindness??? :)

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 12:50 PM

A company of that size could more than pay for a lot of genuine help with the tax deduction it would generate. I watched a Chinese docu about potato farmers that more than trippled their yields as the result of one charity supporting one guy through agriculture schooling. That gave them room to add more variety to there small plots of ground. Some have taken inititive to band together for enough volume of specialty crops to attract buyers.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 1:04 PM

"Some have taken inititive to band together for enough volume of specialty crops to attract buyers."

This is what we'd like to see more of here. A farmer's co-op. But no regulations.

When you ask for permission, that's when you ask for government interference and that's when the oppression begins.

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 1:41 PM

I wonder what "major biotechnology company" is backing this...

*Genetically Modified Cows Produce 'Human' Milk*

Scientists have created genetically modified cattle that produce "human" milk in a bid to make cows' milk more nutritious.

The scientists have successfully introduced human genes into 300 dairy cows to produce milk with the same properties as human breast milk.

Human milk contains high quantities of key nutrients that can help to boost the immune system of babies and reduce the risk of infections.

The scientists behind the research believe milk from herds of genetically modified cows could provide an alternative to human breast milk and formula milk for babies, which is often criticised as being an inferior substitute.

They hope genetically modified dairy products from herds of similar cows could be sold in supermarkets. The research has the backing of a major biotechnology company.

The work is likely to inflame opposition to GM foods. Critics of the technology and animal welfare groups reacted angrily to the research, questioning the safety of milk from genetically modified animals and its effect on the cattle's health.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/agricul...

-- Posted by dchannes on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 11:25 AM

I missed this one. Apparently they have been doing this for awhile now.

*Growing Vaccinated Fruits and Vegetables*

By Lee Dye

Oct. 11, (Year?)

Charles Arntzen wants to save the lives of millions of children threatened by deadly infectious diseases, and he wants to do it by feeding them a slice of a banana.

"We know what the problem is," he says as he leans back in a chair on a courtyard at Arizona State University in Tempe. "We have 15 million kids dying every year in Third World countries from infectious diseases that could be prevented.

"And we know what the solution is," he adds. It is to inoculate those children with vaccines that can fight off diseases such as hepatitis B, cholera, and various deadly types of diarrhea.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?i...

-- Posted by dchannes on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 4:51 PM

This is a good watchdog website to help people be aware of what IS GMO and what is not/how to avoid them..etc.

VERY helpful. This is one page of the site just follow the links on the left side of page to navigate the whole site:

http://www.nongmoproject.org/learn-more/...

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 4:05 PM

After further investigation, I'm not convinced of nongmoproject.org's authenticity.

Kashi® Cereals sells Certified Organic cereal. They now are claiming some of their cereals are "Non GMO Project Verified" and are putting that label on the boxes.

It has been reported that Kashi® Cereals were sent for testing by the Cornucopia Institute and were found to contain GMO soy and pesticides:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/27...

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articl...

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 3:54 PM

Rɨck, thanks. I haven't heard about that. If you have brand names, that would be helpful.

My main focus on this thread is to help keep the folks here aware of the huge problems we have in our food supply...mainly regarding genetically engineered plants and animals.

I think it's important to stay on top of it. I'd really like to see mandatory labeling of GMO products come about.

I hope this thread is being read at least, even if people don't have a comment. It's hard to tell if there's an interest or not though sometimes. I hope this isn't too boring for people. :)

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 7:37 PM

dc, I read a lot of stuff, not sure but think it was in a recent Consumer Reports issue that arsnic levels in rice were discussed. Seems that stuff doesn't wash away and disapate very quickly. I read in another article somewhere that the smart people are looking at genetic engineering to cause plants not to absorb the arsnic. Meanwhile when it's all over we may have nothing to eat that won't kill us.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 7:51 PM

Mr. John, to your last sentence I say, agreed. The fact is, we don't know where this genetic engineering thing is going or how to stop it. Pfizer owns Monsanto. Monsanto makes us sick and Pfizer provides the drug to "help" us. Goody.

Now, arsenic in small doses is good. That's why when I eat an apple, I usually eat the core with the seeds, also. The seeds have a little bit in them and I hear it's a good cancer preventative. The wife said it's called vitamin B17. (Thanks, honey) :)

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 9:14 PM

This, just in, the Farm Bill, if passed as it is, would cost 969 Billion dollars. That's about $3000 for every person in the US. Insanity. 80% of that is "nutrition assistance" programs.

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 9:19 PM

dc, Not sure how all that works concerning the 969 billion. Does that pertain to the Dept of Agri's welfare programs to just farmers or welfare in general?

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 9:28 PM

It's all lumped together in the same bill. The 80% is like I said, for "nutrition assistance" programs like foodstamps, WIC, etc. the other 20% actually has to do with farmers.

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 10:33 PM

We added up the sale of harvest a few years ago and I was thinking it wasn't bad return on the farmland investment. Then I was told we were getting more than that in gov pay. I won't complain but will agree it is hard to understand.

A buddy gets a good check for mowing his hill farm. Otherwise it would have pasture and cattle. Makes me wonder what gov is doing to support low food prices since more cattle should be cheaper beef.

Sorry for going off the subject of GMO.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 11:10 PM

Mr. John, no apology necessary, this is all relevant to the food manipulation problems we have here in the US. The bureaucrats in USDA and FDA are, and have been, doing everything they can to "help" the farmer. The thing is, they aren't really helping over all. The grain market is largely controlled by ConAgra, Cargil, ADM and Bunge. They have the monopoly on grain buying and as you probably know, they decide what they are going to pay for it and if it's not enough to support a farmer, they get their buddies in the USDA to subsidize the rest. They change the prices in order to keep up the illusion.

The legal problem with this set-up is whenever a farmer takes that subsidy money he is agreeing to follow the USDA's rules and if he does something different, that might make sense to him like planting winter wheat to feed his cows or his neighbor's cows when he agreed not to sell wheat, he runs a high risk of being shut down, charged, fined or otherwise hammered on because he just affected interstate commerce(they say) because if they had not grown the wheat for the cows it would had to have been purchased elsewhere! See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wickard_v._...

You know how precarious the balance can be, what with dealing with weather, machines that break, hired help, cost of seed and fertilizer... one little hitch and sla-bam!

So, they way they have everything controlled, farmers are basically caught in a strangle hold by the government. Right?

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 10:49 AM

The small farmer doesn't have a chance. Most people I know that have 100 or less acres also have other jobs.

Kind of makes one wonder how folks reared large families on such small farms way back.

The big operators sometimes pay more rent than poor land is worth just to boost there basis for gov pay. That allows them to farm all of their good ground.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 11:29 AM

My wife said her grandfather made a living on 80 acres and raised a bunch of kids with it.

My father ranches about 500 acres in central Texas and can't make a living off the cattle. However, I remember in 1974 he sold 10 calves and took that money and bought a new Ford truck. He doesn't remember the exact price, but said it was somewhere around $4,500. It's roughly the same price for cattle today, but of course you can't buy a new Ford truck for $4,500.

About 30 years ago I asked him about going into the cattle business. He said, "Don't do it boy. You sure ain't gonna get rich off raising cattle."

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 11:54 AM

The reason the Obama Administration "urged" the court not to take the case is because they have drunk the koolaid and don't want this whole GMO thing to blow up in their faces.

-- Posted by dchannes on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 11:06 AM

I started noticing 12 years ago that the contrails from jets were not disappearing like they used to. I have since watched this phenomenon happen more and more frequently over head as jets leave long cloud-like streaks across the sky, from horizon to horizon.

My father-n-law, an 80 year old Navy veteran of the Korean War, who is also a pilot and knew these weren't normal exhaust trails, agreed with us and wrote a letter to to Rep Jo Ann Emerson who got an answer from the Commandant at Fort Leonard Wood.

The Commandant said that what we were seeing in the sky was simply water vapor and materials that were harmless being sprayed for the purpose of training in the event of a chemical warfare attack. At last, an official statement confirming that what we are seeing is NOT a 'contrail', but an aerosol spray of some kind.

Having no means to test the materials to see what the heck it is, we have no way to refute his claims that it is harmless. We just know they are spraying something out of the jets besides exhaust from the engines. We don't know what it is.

There are many, many claims of what it is, from weather modification to poison. Some say aluminum oxide and barium salt. I've heard other things I disremember right now...all of them unsubstantiated and in confirmed by the government of course.

My guess is these stories will get buried and this professor will be caused to shut up somehow.

NOW:

*Senators Seek More Information After Professor Claims Army Sprayed St. Louis With Radioactive Particles* http://www.theblaze.com/stories/senators...

*Researcher to discuss military testing in St. Louis in the 1950s* http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro...

*Missouri senators demand details on military testing in 50s and 60s* http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/misso...

-- Posted by dchannes on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 1:18 PM

*Evil Geniuses At Your Table*

Posted on October 7, 2012 | 6 Comments

©Doreen Hannes

Proposition 37 in California, billed as "The Right to Know" ballot initiative to label products that contain genetically modified organisms in that state, has drawn an intensive amount of interest from the country at large, and ire from biotech corporations and their employees in the science.

A recent peer reviewed long term feeding study by Dr. Gilles-Eric Seralini from France caused Russia to immediately ban all US grain imports on concern that they likely contain GMO (genetically modified) product. The study also spawned a wealth of criticism from biotech scientists all across the US. It seems like debunking Seralini's study is the new favorite pastime of many employed in the biotechnology field, and we'll look at some of those detractors later in this article.

For the rest of this article: https://truthfarmer.wordpress.com/2012/1...

-- Posted by dchannes on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 1:32 PM

"This could be caused by Mother Earth's changes in her jet stream changes which have been shifting for some unknown reason ."

I know there have been changes in the jet stream, but this is a separate issue. Officials have admitted the use of aerosol spraying from jets for official purposes.

My question is what's in it and for what purpose?

And I don't really trust the official answers.

"The grand prize was a python."

Looks like this guy got a sur-"prize". Yuck. I can see eating a grasshopper, but no way would I eat a roach. I wonder if these were genetically engineered roaches.

-- Posted by dchannes on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 12:02 PM

I realize this is a bit dated. Just missed it:

*Monsanto guilty of chemical poisoning in France*

By Catherine Lagrange and Marion Douet

LYON/PARIS | Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:29pm EST

(Reuters) - A French court on Monday declared U.S. biotech giant Monsanto guilty of chemical poisoning of a French farmer, a judgment that could lend weight to other health claims against pesticides.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/1...

-- Posted by dchannes on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 12:10 PM

Mini-wheats, a good source of iron!

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Oct 13, 2012, at 12:37 PM

*Biotech Scientist: It's 'Awesome' That GMOs Cause Infertility, Death*

http://rtr.org/news/12956/biotech-scient...

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 12:59 PM

*The Vaccine Hoax is Over* by Andrew Baker

Freedom of Information Act in the UK filed by a doctor there has revealed 30 years of secret official documents showing that government experts have

1. Known the vaccines don't work

2. Known they cause the diseases they are supposed to prevent

3. Known they are a hazard to children

4. Colluded to lie to the public

5. Worked to prevent safety studies

Those are the same vaccines that are mandated to children in the US.

Educated parents can either get their children out of harm's way or continue living inside one of the largest most evil lies in history, that vaccines -- full of heavy metals, viral diseases, mycoplasma, fecal material, DNA fragments from other species, formaldehyde, polysorbate 80 (a sterilizing agent) -- are a miracle of modern medicine.

Freedom of Information Act filed in the US with the CDC by a doctor with an autistic son, seeking information on what the CDC knows about the dangers of vaccines, had by law to be responded to in 20 days. Nearly 7 years later, the doctor went to court and the CDC argued it does not have to turn over documents. A judge ordered the CDC to turn over the documents on September 30th, 2011.

Rest of the article: http://foodfreedomgroup.com/2012/09/29/t...

-- Posted by dchannes on Sat, Oct 20, 2012, at 4:43 PM

This is what happens when you are FDA approved. Boy, I feel safer.

-- Posted by dchannes on Tue, Oct 23, 2012, at 11:41 PM

I sense when deer are out in front of me on the road...before I see them. I can't explain it. Most times I just let off the gas without thinking and then, bam...there they are. So I don't knock this sense. Also, I saw auras around all living things every time I came out of the Inipi.

I watch the dogs and other animals a lot. They seem to sense when something is coming.

-- Posted by dchannes on Sat, Oct 27, 2012, at 9:07 PM

Go with the Elders. It'll for sure be more fun at least I think. More meaningful, definitely...

It is called the "6th sense". Spiritual...energy... vibrations I can't wrap my brain around or even begin to understand. But I know it's there.

-- Posted by dchannes on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 12:13 AM

I have radio am960 on right now. One subject to be discussed on Coast To Coast is to be GMO.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Oct 29, 2012, at 12:13 AM

FDA inspections now to be done in Swiss chocolate factories instead of US ports. Oh, I feel safer. -DC

"Sugar-coated terrorism: Swiss chocolate inspections by US leave sour taste"

Chocolatiers in Switzerland are infuriated by US inspections on their universally-loved confectionary for bioterrorism or radioactive threats. Factories have no choice but allow checks; otherwise will they be banned from the profitable US market.

­At least 21 Swiss chocolate factories and 18 dairies are obliged to allow inspections of their work until September 20, German business journal Handelszeitung reports.

"The fact that a foreign authority is involved in our Swiss businesses is unseemly," Daniel Bloch, of Chocolates Camille Bloch told the journal.

Despite the anger and disappointment, chocolate manufactories want to continue to sell chocolate to the US.

But the planned examinations turned out to go well beyond health issues or such details as sales, ownership, employees and the sizes of company buildings.

"We ask ourselves, what is the real reason for the FDA inspections," Jacques Gygax, director of the Swiss dairy association Fromarte.

The reason for that is the new America's Food Safety Modernization Act, signed by President Obama in April 2011. From that time onwards Americans check all the food coming from abroad, Swiss chocolate no exception, in the country where products were produced prior to export. Before the Act, examinations were conducted at the US border.

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) suspect imported food could be contaminated chemically or even in a radioactive way. http://rt.com/news/swiss-chocolate-biote...

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 10:54 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

Want to comment?

In order to participate in semissourian.com's forums, you must be a registered member of the site. Once registered and logged in, you can post comments to existing threads or post new threads of your own. Click below to register now (it's free!). If you're already registered, just start commenting and posting threads.