Speak Out: Emerson Tries To Throw Elderly Under The Bus In '09

Posted by dchannes on Thu, Jul 26, 2012, at 3:47 PM:

Lucky for all of those who buy generic prescription drugs, this bill, that 8th District Incumbent Jo Ann Emerson introduced in January of 2009, didn't gain any traction.

H.R. 573:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:h.r.00573:

If this bill had been made into law, the elderly and those with fixed incomes that need prescription drugs, would have had vital medications placed out of their reach.

Often, brand name drugs cost 3 to 4 times more than their generic equivalent.

The House Subcommittee on Health had the good sense to not even vote it out.

So if grandma only has $80 dollars extra per month after paying all her bills, you can quickly see how that money could be eaten up on brand name drugs.

Since pharmacies make more of a profit selling brand name vs generic, I can understand why the National Community of Pharmacists Assn made a $10,000 contribution to Ms. Emerson in 2010. I can only suppose, a promise fulfilled. See link below:

http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/contrib.php?cycle=2010&type=I&cid=N000050...

This is yet another example of Ms. Emerson's way of saying she cares.

She cares alright. It just ain't about grandma.

Replies (8)

• These guys are as bad as the democrats. Open Secrets is partiality funded by a San Fransisco Liberal group.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Jul 26, 2012, at 4:01 PM
  • -- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Jul 26, 2012, at 4:01 PM

That may be true, but their information is correct.

The information at thomas.loc.gov is correct as well.

Easy Moneys,

"May I ask if you watch "Big Brother" and/or "Survivor" ?"

No. I've seen maybe 3 partial episodes of 'Survivor', but it's been years. I try to make time to watch MASH 4077 at 10:30 though. :)

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Jul 26, 2012, at 5:13 PM
  • BTW, Emerson also intro'd this same legislation in 2007 as well.

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Jul 26, 2012, at 5:14 PM
  • Here's a dandy example of Ms Emerson flexing her global muscles and her affinity for the Obama/George Soros' plan for global governance.

She Sponsered, with Rep. James McGovern (D) co-sponsering the following:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/111/hres1202

H.Res. 1202 (111th): Supporting the goals and ideals of Global Child Nutrition Month.

Official Summary

The following summary was written by the Congressional Research Service, a nonpartisan arm of the Library of Congress, which serves Congress. GovTrack did not write and has no control over these summaries.

3/19/2010--Introduced.

Supports the goals of Global Child Nutrition Month. Urges the Administration to develop a comprehensive plan which will provide for the expansion of nutrition programs, especially for young children, as part of President Obama's goal to eliminate childhood hunger in the United States by 2015.

Full text:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/111/hres1202/text

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Jul 26, 2012, at 9:32 PM
  • "You honestly believe that a member of Congress that would introduce this piece of legislation, not just once but twice, is really concerned about the long term care of our elderly?"

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Jul 26, 2012, at 10:12 PM

Yes I do , due to the mere fact the Congress will be elderly at some point too .

Why would they try to hurt theirself with a Law they wrote theirself ?

-- Posted by Easy Moneys on Fri, Jul 27, 2012, at 7:25 AM

Because number one, retired members of Congress have a Congressional health package and generic drugs availability is a non issue for them.

Number two, having loads of money changes what your options are.

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Jul 27, 2012, at 8:04 AM
  • What do you guys think of this resolution that Ms Emerson introduced? Sounds kind of "Global" to me. Kind of like the agenda that Obama supports? How about George Soros? I think they line up, but I don't know if there is a real connection to his funding of this group yet or not. But the ideology is the same and it makes me wonder....why would she bring this?(Mr. McGovern is a liberal by the way).:

H.Res. 1202 (111th): Supporting the goals and ideals of Global Child Nutrition Month.

HRES 1202 IH

111th CONGRESS

2d Session

H. RES. 1202

Supporting the goals and ideals of Global Child Nutrition Month.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

March 19, 2010

Mrs. EMERSON (for herself and Mr. MCGOVERN) submitted the following resolution; which was referred to the Committee on Foreign Affairs, and in addition to the Committee on Agriculture, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned

RESOLUTION

Supporting the goals and ideals of Global Child Nutrition Month.

Whereas hunger is a political condition and the Nation has the means to end hunger in the United States and around the world;

Whereas hunger is one of the most devastating, widespread epidemics in the world, impacting nearly 1,000,000,000 people, many of them children;

Whereas at any given moment, as many as 300,000,000 of the world's children are dealing with poverty and hunger;

Whereas for some children, hunger may be offset by healthy school meals;

Whereas according to the United Nations, hunger and malnutrition take the lives of 18,000 children every single day;

Whereas according to the World Food Program, 130,000,000 children do not attend school, and among those who do, most do not receive meals during school hours; and

Whereas this observance by the Global Child Nutrition Foundation and the many other organizations fighting to end childhood hunger of April as Global Child Nutrition Month provides an opportunity to raise awareness about the solutions to global hunger and poverty and, ultimately to help build momentum in the fight to end the scourge of hunger: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the House of Representatives--

(1) supports the goals and ideals of Global Child Nutrition Month;

(2) recognizes by combining the will and resources, hunger will no longer set boundaries for learning and achievement;

(3) recognizes that freeing children from hunger so they may become self-supporting, contributing citizens is a worthy endeavor;

(4) recognizes that ending hunger is also a positive and productive step toward building a more stable and peaceful world;

(5) strongly encourages the Administration to lead the global community by developing and implementing a comprehensive United States plan to end global hunger; and

(6) urges the Administration to develop a comprehensive plan which will provide for the expansion of nutrition programs, especially for young children, as part of President Obama's goal to eliminate childhood hunger in the United States by 2015.

-- Posted by dchannes on Sat, Jul 28, 2012, at 9:36 PM
  • I can hardly wait for Mitt to take over.

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Sun, Jul 29, 2012, at 5:58 AM
  • Yeah well, the Republican Party machine could have given us a better choice than Mitt. But it is what it is. It would be hard to find a candidate that would be worse than Obama. I think Romney is definitely a step up.

As I've said before, I'd vote for an old worn out shoe before I'd vote for that Marxist, Obama.

We can be sure there will be problems, but hopefully a far different set of problems than we have now.

-- Posted by dchannes on Sun, Jul 29, 2012, at 11:50 AM

Respond to this thread