Speak Out: The Eyes Of Government Are Upon You

Posted by Old John on Fri, May 18, 2012, at 9:17 AM:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/utah-school-fined-15000-for-accidentally-selling...

Don't forget to shut down the soda machine during lunch time!

Replies (16)

• Old John - You beat me to it! I was just looking for the "great potato war" thread and was going to add this to the list of nanny-state rules and regulations telling us and our children what to eat.

I get food rules/regs but if this is true it is outrageous. The federal government, out of washington DC, goes to Utah to fine a school $15,000 for accidentally leaving a soda machine on?

There needs to be a house cleaning of liberal nanny-state government employees. They are rampant throughout our federal institutions now. Just look at the military - now they are going to name a Navy ship after a gay San Francisco city councilman. Nothing against gays, but was this guy some war hero? No. Some president or governor? No. The liberals in OUR federal government are trying to change this culture of this country.

Clean house in November!!!

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, May 18, 2012, at 9:39 AM
  • Dug, The potato thread stands at a nice round 500 posts. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, May 18, 2012, at 9:52 AM
  • Another story making the top of the hour headline blitz tell us most entrees served to people eating out exceed government guidelines for calories, sodium and all that's bad.

Is this gradual conditioning of the public to accept future government food police edicts?

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, May 18, 2012, at 10:14 AM
  • Lay off you guys!

We all know that $15,000 is better spent fueling up Air Force 1 for a campaign run than it is educating America's Youth.

Keep your priorities.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, May 18, 2012, at 10:18 AM
  • BC, I think you have explained it before but I may need a refresher. Why the term neoconservative and not neoprogressive fascist state?

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, May 18, 2012, at 11:55 PM
  • BC, I guess you'll just have to say like in the Dr. Branson radio commercial, "Well he'll figure it out sooner or later". :)

That all goes over my head, sounds to me more like a lot of good writing than a lot of good explaining.

I'm thinking what the guy is getting at is what Ike warned about regarding folks getting rich off wars.

Thanks for the reply.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, May 19, 2012, at 12:56 AM
  • It must be getting harder and more difficult to find actual or even serious violations of the rights of American citizens. Using an example of soda machines in high school in Utah as being indicative of the loss of rights under the Constitution, is strange to say the least and essentially absurd.

As mentioned before, if that's the worst thing that happened today, it will be a good day.

I seem to recall having attended a very good public high school and received an excellent education without any soda machines in the school. In looking back at my "loss of rights" I don't know how I made it through my high school years.

If this kind of silliness is indicative of what rights we, as Americans are losing, it's truely inane. When you find something more significant than french fries and soda machines, try again.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, May 19, 2012, at 8:13 AM
  • Common,

You accept the idea of a big government nanny state. Some of us do not.

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, May 19, 2012, at 9:04 AM
  • The Federal Government needs to nose out of our schools.

Imagine, fining a cash strapped school for that kind of stupidity. They were trying to comply and missed one stinking soda machine. Let's get punitive, fine those lawbreakers $15,000.

But if you are a Black Panther and you parade around a polling place scaring old ladies out of their wits... give em a pass!

Ludicrous is about as kind a thing as you could use to describe this example of government policy.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, May 19, 2012, at 9:31 AM
  • Me'Lange, What law? When did congress enact a federal law that has to do with soda machines in schools or anywhere for that matter?

"..., break the law pay the penalty. ie personal responsibility"

Ok, you meant to say "break the rule or regulation"?

Then under what authority are these rules and regulations created? My point is, I see no reason [as common pointed out] for vending machines in schools anyway, but surely the federal government has better things to do.

How much tax money is spent on this whatever you call it department to monitor and butt into a local school's affairs of such detail?

And the way I see it, this is about big government showing us who must be obeyed without question.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, May 19, 2012, at 9:48 AM
  • Old John,

This kind of thing is a 'Teaching Tool'.

Teaches our young minds to be subservant to the 'Lord and Master'. If Sioux was here he could explain it... probably go something like 'The Great White Father in Washington must be obeyed'.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, May 19, 2012, at 10:01 AM
  • Ooops... guess my last post was not quite technically correct. You can figure out which part!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, May 19, 2012, at 10:09 AM
  • Surely you all are not suggesting junk food in school is a "good thing"? ie obesity -- Posted by Me'Lange on Sat, May 19, 2012, at 4:13 AM

Me'Lange - give me another example where federal guidelines are a good thing when the problem exists with 1/3 of the population. You say that "soda" is bad and unhealthy for the obese. Only 1/3 of the kids in school are obese. Why do you want to keep the other 2/3 from having what they want to eat? Do you support schools searching kids lunches? If I pack a soda in my very active, healthy son's lunch should you be able to take it away from him?

You are denying 2/3 of the students the ability to eat what they like because 1/3 can't control their appetite. This is the biggest nanny state example I can think of. (yes - ends with a preposition).

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sat, May 19, 2012, at 10:38 AM
  • I wonder what big company's campaign donations landed what part of Healthy hunger-free kids act contracts.

A big software company maybe?

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, May 19, 2012, at 11:28 AM
  • Me'Lange - not sure you know the meaning of hypocrisy.

You act as if federal dollars are something that fall out of the sky. They are generated by and large by the soon-to-be-minority paying them. And then my healthy kid can't get a soda? Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sat, May 19, 2012, at 2:04 PM
  • Old John, What's your point? Are you saying you don't want hungry kids fed by a charitable donation of a software company?

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Sat, May 19, 2012, at 11:52 AM

If follow the money doesn't work, most times follow the expansion of bureaucracy will.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, May 19, 2012, at 11:32 PM

Respond to this thread