Speak Out: April 19, 1995

Posted by Mowrangler on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 11:02 AM:

RIP fellow Sooners RIP!!!!!

Replies (25)

• Strange it is that I have heard no other mention.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 11:46 AM
  • After a few years, we begin to only commemorate anniversaries that are divisible by five, although a passing mention is usually found.

We have a strange fascination with the number five, when associated with such things. Probably owing to the number of fingers and toes we have.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 11:51 AM
  • "Probably owing to the number of fingers and toes we have."

SH.

I have 10 of each.... ;-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 12:03 PM
  • "I have 10 of each.... ;-)"

So have I, but I have five-a-hand (or five-a-foot), thus the fascination.

If we had been born without opposable thumbs, we may well have had a base-eight numbering system, instead of the decimal system we have now.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 12:37 PM
  • Will someone please explain the significance of the date given?

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 1:48 PM
  • PS. If this relates to something concerning Oklahoma, I have to state I was living in Tulsa at the time mentioned. I means nothing special to me.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 1:50 PM
  • The bombing of Alfred P. Murrah Building in Oklahoma City took place on April 19, 1995.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 2:08 PM
  • This is the 17th anniversary of the Murrah Building being blown up.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 2:09 PM
  • "-- Posted by ~~Rick on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 1:38 PM"

Rick,

I would have thought you could have made it to at least 13.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 2:40 PM
  • So have I, but I have five-a-hand (or five-a-foot), thus the fascination.

If we had been born without opposable thumbs, we may well have had a base-eight numbering system, instead of the decimal system we have now.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 12:37 PM

SH,

The decimal system supports my contention - 10's.

What I am trying to do is be a pain in the *** and start one of those naming of St. Louis, arguments. Common is letting you alone, Theorist is letting you alone.... I was afraid you would get lonely.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 2:54 PM
  • Quick off-topic question. Is it just me, or have the threads disappeared from the home page of the SE MIssourian? For me they used to pop up on the front page.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 3:03 PM
  • Cannot help you Dug. I only read them on line and still log in the way I always do.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 3:23 PM
  • I don't know, either, Dug. I go directly to the page. I don't pass Go, and I don't collect $200.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 3:43 PM
  • Quick off-topic question. Is it just me, or have the threads disappeared from the home page of the SE MIssourian? For me they used to pop up on the front page.

-- Posted by Dug on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 3:03 PM

Yep! They're gone for me too. Been replaced by a bunch of local ads that weren't there yesterday. I figured someone was afraid it was getting too close to election and we might cost the paper some campaign dollar seeing that we are all quite opinionated. That is everyone except Theorist.

-- Posted by InReply on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 8:53 PM
  • Dug, I'm either not smart enough or too lazy to go directly to the forums so I hit "end" and click on forums.

I think it is a conservative conspiracy to confuse our liberal friends. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 9:16 PM
  • I think it is a conservative conspiracy to confuse our liberal friends. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 9:16 PM

Yes there has been a conspicuous absence of liberals lately.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Apr 20, 2012, at 12:02 AM
  • I remember the OKC bombing vividly. Just didn't associate the date with it. I never have been good remembering dates.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Apr 20, 2012, at 7:41 AM
  • Yes there has been a conspicuous absence of liberals lately.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Apr 20, 2012, at 12:02 AM

Perhaps they are all out there working and earning a living...

And off I go....have a nice day!

-- Posted by Theorist on Fri, Apr 20, 2012, at 5:47 AM

Nah Theorist, I don't think so. Watch the vidio below and you will see where the liberals are. Only one working is the gentleman (possibly handicapped) doing pushups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2kGPdxkofo

If you don't have the wherewithal to watch at home, watch it at school. It's educational so there would be nothing wrong with that.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Apr 20, 2012, at 2:18 PM
  • Waco, TX: The United States government turned tanks and automatic weapons against a group of American citizens, supposedly to 'protect the children'. The children they were protecting perished by fire when the compound they raided burned to the ground, probably set afire by members of the cult.

Ruby Ridge, ID: The federal government issues 'shoot to kill' orders to FBI agents against innocent citizens because the head of the household, who refused to turn spy for them, missed a court appearance. The wife and young son of the Randy Weaver were killed by FBI snipers.

So much for protecting the children, eh?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Apr 20, 2012, at 4:35 PM
  • Gosh, overkill again. Those kids at Penn State have every opportunity to overcome whatever may have happened to them. Those at Waco, Ruby Ridge, etc. never will. How can anyone compare the two?

-- Posted by InReply on Sat, Apr 21, 2012, at 12:24 PM
  • Rick, I think Eric Holder was still a bit wet behind the ears at the time of the Penn State incident. The difference is that Ruby Ridge and Waco was planned out and folks up the line gave orders. Penn State was a spontaneous event.

Clinton was to busy talking about all those church burnings in Arkansas and feeling our pain to be held accountable for the Oklahoma bombing.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Apr 21, 2012, at 11:57 PM
  • Coast To Coast is discussing the OC bombing as I type. A lot of folks think something is awry in what we have been told.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Apr 22, 2012, at 12:49 AM
  • Well, the trial of Mr. McVeigh was clearly unconstitutional, that much we know.

"The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of Impeachment, shall be by Jury; and such Trial shall be held in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed."

The crime clearly occurred in the State of Oklahoma, yet the trial was held in Colorado.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 8:04 AM
  • I do not know all the legal ins and outs of such things but I do seem to recall McVeigh requested the trial be moved out of Oklahoma due to the fact their federal court house was acrossed the street from the Murrah building and it was doubtful he could receive fair and impartial counsel or trial.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 3:28 PM
  • "I do not know all the legal ins and outs of such things but I do seem to recall McVeigh requested the trial be moved out of Oklahoma due to the fact their federal court house was acrossed the street from the Murrah building and it was doubtful he could receive fair and impartial counsel or trial."

The Constitution clearly says 'all cases', not 'all cases except those in which the defendant or prosecutor asks otherwise'. There is no requirement that it be held in a federal courthouse, but there are federal courthouses in Lawton, McAlester, Muskogee, Okmulgee, and Tulsa. It is a slap in the face of the people of Oklahoma to insist that they cannot find a jury capable of being fair and impartial. (Of course, it also does not prohibit the importation of jurors from other states to the trial).

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 7:44 PM

Respond to this thread