Speak Out: Good people can disagree

Posted by donacita on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 9:41 AM:

This morning I was thinking about the forums and how sometimes discussions can get heated. But I bet that if any one of us had a serious problem, the others would want to help, even if all they could do is offer a prayer or kind thought.

Replies (22)

• We would and we have. I have nothing but love and respect for my fellow posters. Yes, I have had some heated disagreements, sometimes down right nasty but as they say, opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one! ☺

-- Posted by Turnip on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 10:04 AM
  • Agreed. I'm a born and raised SE Missourian and I love this area and the people. I get a little irate when others from the city start downing the bootheel and claiming everyone is a redneck or uneducated or toothless, etc. I wouldn't trade living/working/helping in this area for anything in the city. Some of the finest people in the country.

I do like how some of the posters, when challenged or proven wrong, get upset and think they can ignore someone. It's funny. I continue to post and they feel that if they don't respond no one will read my comments. Hilarious!

I do have an intolerance for liberals. That's about it.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 10:16 AM
  • I read the forums on Stl Post website from time to time. There are heated arguments on that site constantly. A week or so back there was a story in the post about a house fire where a woman lost everything, including some of her pets. It turned out to be one of the regular, rather liberal minded, posters on the forum.

When people found out what had happened to her they all, no matter their political leanings or past history with the victim of the fire offered their thoughts and prayers. many set up ways to donate to the woman or organized fund raisers. All this was done for somone who most had never met in person and many had bitter disagreements with.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 10:28 AM
  • donacita, I think you are right on the mark. When it comes to caring for or helping others, politics, personality conflicts etc. are pretty unimportant.

-- Posted by 356 on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 10:37 AM
  • It's easy to think people who should care don't care when in truth they were unaware care was needed.

I have seen this play out on my limited facebook account of only close family. Someone mentions a hang nail and a dozen replies of well wishes post. Someone else has major surgery and only after they are home and recovering nicely do they mention it.

I'm sure most of us are pleased to be helpful given the chance.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 1:14 PM
  • REAL-IST, here, has a valid-point. I agree. Been there, done that---STILL-there, with some. Just keep that "third-eye" open, and you'll get better watchin' yourself with each passing day.☺

OLD JOHN: True. It's easiest to be helpful, when EVERYONE is in the same 'soup'. Trust tends to grow steadily within the color, gender, and politics-ranks, when there's only one-way out---and that's only if you work, or if needed, fight---together.

Sometimes, the worst-place can give you the best-lessons in life...

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 2:39 PM
  • Our society and civilization hasn't sunk below this point....yet... -- Posted by ~~Rick on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 2:47 PM

Remember all the hating on "hanging chads" etc. in the 2000 election? How stupid Bush was, how he stole the election, etc. etc.

then

September 11 occurred and we forgot our differences and joined together. For at least a few months. :-)

-- Posted by not_sorry on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 3:10 PM
  • Being an ol' SE Mo mule who got displaced when just a wee tot, I was raised by my Missouri born and bred elders to always respect those with whom I disagreed. They said those were the folks from whom I could learn the most. Egad. Just about everyone on this forum has taught me something at one time or another. Guess you might say, I'm mighty obliged to get your back if the time arises. Besides, you're all a bunch of swell folks.

-- Posted by InReply on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 5:26 PM
  • Being an ol' SE Mo mule who got displaced when just a wee tot, I was raised by my Missouri born and bred elders to always respect those with whom I disagreed. They said those were the folks from whom I could learn the most. Egad. Just about everyone on this forum has taught me something at one time or another. Guess you might say, I'm mighty obliged to get your back if the time arises. Besides, when you get right down to it, you're a swell bunch of people.

-- Posted by InReply on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 5:29 PM
  • I don't make confessions like that often so the cyber gods tricked me into posting it twice

-- Posted by InReply on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 5:31 PM
  • The newspaper serving my small home town had a contest for amatures to submit short stories.

A fellow told about going to look up an old friend he hadn't seen for years. Upon knocking on his door he realized his friend didn't live there any more and tried to apoplogize for his mistake. The lady that answered the door insisted he come in and meet her husband.

He did so and told of a remarkable experience, that is getting to know a bed ridden man that so longed for someone, anyone past his wife to break the loneliness of his condition, for all his aquaintences had yet to know or maybe they were too busy to care about his situation.

Many of us don't have the resources to respond to every good charity or collection can at the doors of stores and sometimes that old black dog needs attention. Neverless, it has been my experience that an unplanned phone call or visit to a friend or aquaintence can yield great rewards.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 6:05 PM
  • After loosing a Father and a best friend on the same day last Sunday, I have decided that it is best to be there when help is needed. I suggest to everyone that if there is any animosities you harbor with any friends or Family members it is time to repair things and bring them back into your heart. Life is short and opinions are long. I respect all of you and would be there in a minute if called upon. Good post Donacita...

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Thu, Mar 15, 2012, at 6:32 AM
  • -- Posted by GREYWOLF on Thu, Mar 15, 2012, at 6:32 AM

Sorry to hear of your loss.

-- Posted by 356 on Thu, Mar 15, 2012, at 7:03 AM
  • Greywolf, my condolences on the loss of your loved ones. Thoughts and prayers are with your family. You also make an excellent point about repairing severed relations.

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Mar 15, 2012, at 8:00 AM
  • Greywolf,

My condolences.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Mar 15, 2012, at 9:07 AM
  • Greywolf,

The hurt does not pass easily but be somewhat consoled that you have friends left and they will help you through it. Prayers and best wishes for you and your family.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 15, 2012, at 9:43 AM
  • Greywolf,

Sorry for your loss, you and yours are in my prayers.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Mar 15, 2012, at 9:57 AM
  • Greywolf, My condolences.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Mar 15, 2012, at 10:26 AM
  • I am so sorry for your losses Greywolf and I appreciate and concur with your thoughts on repairing any animosity with a family member, friend,or other acquaintance. I am so grateful that I learned that life lesson many years ago as a young adult before my dad unexpectedly passed away. We both made amends and had 10 more wonderful years before he died when I was 30.

-- Posted by Thought Criminal on Thu, Mar 15, 2012, at 11:02 AM
  • Thanks to you all for the kind words. They are very much appreciated. It seems Donacita has it right. Again, thanks to everyone it has been a very tough 4 days.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Thu, Mar 15, 2012, at 11:21 AM
  • Greywolf: Losing loved ones is so painful. We can all sympathize with you, as we have felt that same pain. I am so sorry for your loss.

-- Posted by donacita on Thu, Mar 15, 2012, at 12:04 PM
  • Greywolf, I'm so sorry for your loss. My family, too, will keep you in its thoughts and prayers. May you be blessed with good memories.

-- Posted by InReply on Thu, Mar 15, 2012, at 2:05 PM

Respond to this thread