Speak Out: Senior driving safety

Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 7:20 AM:

I know many senior citizens that are very alert, but also some that are not due to failing health issues. Having a drivers license is a privledge not a right in the State of Missouri. I would say this issue should be left up to immediate family members of the Senior if they should drive any more or not if there current health issues is preventing them from being alert while operating a motor vehicle. I believe the most dangerous people on the road this day and time is not the Seniors but the young people text messaging while operating a motor vehicle not the Seniors but you never see that addressed much at all.

Replies (166)

• Yes Rick PLEASE don't get Melange started again, PLEASE, I'm begging you.

-- Posted by 356 on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 8:07 AM
  • In her last years, Mom gave her car to my sister and let her license expire although she was still a pretty good driver.

Pretty sharp on her part as Sis lived a half block away Mom knew she would feel obligated to be her taxi.

If you are going to demand your senior give up driving, you should be willing to cheerfully help with alternative transportation. IMO

Is this thread another example of "There oughta be a law" mentality to every perceived problem?

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 11:31 AM
  • I am not close to the suggested mandated age, but have dealt with this with family members and it can be a problem.

I have told my spouse and children that if they see any signs to tell me and if I don't listen to take other steps.

I have no pride when it comes to this and can already tell my reflexes are not as good as they once were and avoid driving at night. I can still do it, but see no real reason to.

I don't know if there is a certain age where testing or evaluation should become mandated, but I am far from an expert on it.

-- Posted by 356 on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 12:05 PM
  • Rick, just to be clear, are you calling me a manic or a maniac? I must know so I can respond accordingly.

I have to agree, that after a certain age, people should have to be re-tested. Many people don't have the family available or willing to take the steps needed to address this issue. Besides, I wouldn't want to be the one who told "Grand-pa" he shouldn't drive anymore. On a side note, if you can't see over the steering wheel, YOU shouldn't drive, for pete's sake.

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 12:13 PM
  • I think the accelerated testing for elderly we have in place in Mo. is sufficient. I also know that any Family member or doctor can ask the DMV to require a senior to test their driving skills and eyesight. I agree with Old John in that I am tired of the "oughta be a law" mentality.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 12:31 PM
  • I'd use that term "old-coot" a bit-more carefully, if it were me. It can be taken quite offensively.

I remember once when a "young-snipe" called a much-elder man that same basic term. He had loose-teeth, and ate soup through swollen-lips for almost a whole-week. And, he still had to work in the fields with him.

From that time forward, I just called him "Sir"---much less painful!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 1:00 PM
  • Me'Lange, anytime. ☺

donknome, one must only worry about such things if one can't hold his own. I, have no problem in that area. ☻ ☺ ☻ ☺

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 1:06 PM
  • And with THAT having been said, here's a driving-related question, that ONLY applies if you're driving an automatic-transmission vehicle: Do you always brake with your RIGHT-foot? Or your LEFT?

99.99% of the time, I brake with my LEFT, and "float" my right-foot just out-of-feel with the accelerator. It's just the way I was taught, or learned? I dunno.

Didn't hafta worry about it on my drivers OR chauffeurs' test, as they were both taken ON CLUTCHES---an' even then I could've used a third-foot for stability...!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 1:09 PM
  • TURNIP: Don't know ya'---but I'm certain you could, in-deed...!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 1:14 PM
  • Speaking of 'ol coots....where is Wheels? It's after 1, surely he's rolled out of bed by now! :o)~

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 1:19 PM
  • A couple of thoughts:

The old coots part is offensive and should be used only in the context of "Smile when you call me a SOB"

But I have a suggestion that would solve a whole bunch of the country's problems, not just driving when you become older.

It is my suggestion that when you reach the age of 65 that on the next occuring blizzard that a blanket be furnished to the obviously past his/her usefulness person and they may take it into the forest and sit on a large boulder until they pass.

This would give him/her with the blanket plenty of time to reflect on the useless and ungrateful little welps they have caused to be brought into the world, so that they may sit on their computers and whine about what oughta be... as well as plotting on how they are going to spend Daddy & Mommy's money and other assets after they expire.

Wouldn't it be a beautiful world with only younger folks around? The "ME" generation. And the more I think about it... this should be more than a suggestion, there should be "a law" passed seeing to it that it happens.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 1:36 PM
  • Turnips,

I take it you just smiled.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 1:39 PM
  • WHEELS: Afternoon, Sir!

Cold, rainy, dark, miserable day---just the way I LIKE 'em...!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 1:42 PM
  • Wheels, maybe those "old coots" who plow through the storefronts are just trying to take a few out with them; seem to have pretty good driving skills to get past the barriers and hit the buildings in the right place.

-- Posted by 356 on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 1:43 PM
  • Donknome2,

And a good day to you My Friend!

Warm and cloudy here with the threat of rain.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 1:46 PM
  • 356: I gotta go for a spell---YOU stand herd-watch for a while...!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 1:47 PM

Yeah, maybe it was not accidental, more like my grandaughter used to say about her brother when she was about three years old... "That was poipoise".

I wish I had no more to do right now than to stick my nose into what a bunch of old folks are doing.

My still in warranty computer is severely crippleed and HP tells me it is going to need an airplane ride to cure it. Been backing everything I can think of and making notes on what needs reloading when it comes back should they wipe out the information on it. I will be using my backup which is a small mini-note, which may turn me blind and unable to pass the vision test when I renew my driver's license on returning back to Missouri. The same vision test I passed without glasses last go around.

Yes my reflexes have slowed down, but are still as fast or faster than some of these kids I am forced to dodge on the streets and highways.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 1:57 PM

Yeah, maybe it was not accidental, more like my grandaughter used to say about her brother when she was about three years old... "That was poipoise".

I wish I had no more to do right now than to stick my nose into what a bunch of old folks are doing.

My still in warranty computer is severely crippleed and HP tells me it is going to need an airplane ride to cure it. Been backing everything I can think of and making notes on what needs reloading when it comes back should they wipe out the information on it. I will be using my backup which is a small mini-note, which may turn me blind and unable to pass the vision test when I renew my driver's license on returning back to Missouri. The same vision test I passed without glasses last go around.

Yes my reflexes have slowed down, but are still as fast or faster than some of these kids I am forced to dodge on the streets and highways.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 1:57 PM
  • -- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 1:47 PM

Gonna have to rely on Wheels, I have to take my teeth out, eat some crackers and milk and take my nap or I will get cranky.

-- Posted by 356 on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 1:59 PM
  • Donknome2 and 356,

You are in capable hands... I don't care what anyone else tells you.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 2:06 PM
  • Wheels, You reminded me of an attorney that specializes in living wills and such telling some of his stories.

An elderly lady never married had several neices and nephews that she hadn't seen in years. Upon needing what could be a risky surgery, she called her oldest niece and told her where a hidden house key was in case something did happen. She had the surgery with no complications and came home to find little Post-it Notes with names on all her furniture and stuff.

She never said a word to any of them that she had found the notes on the bottems and backs of stuff.

They all started to visit and call her occassionally and keep in touch and she allowed them to drive her to her Dr appointments etc.

She also never told them that she changed her will to leave everything to charity. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 2:13 PM
  • Old John,

I have a friend who says, to all those who wanted to be mentioned in my will... Hi Bill, George etc. etc.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 2:17 PM
  • Afternoon, Wheels. ☺

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 2:55 PM
  • Old John, Did you read the article? Perhaps this thread is an example of how do we protect "old coots" from their own vanity and stubborness.

:-)~

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 11:48 AM

Later I saw you "borrowed" the term. For someone who preaches political correctness, you certainly like to throw around slurs.

I am a person of certain maturity. Thank you.

-- Posted by InReply on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 3:09 PM
  • Wheels good to hear from you I thought we were going to have to send out a search party. Me'Lange you have not offended me at all nothing wrong with having some good humor makes our day go faster. Went in the other day bought a package of cigarettes (I know I should stop) and the young man behind the counter ask me for my ID by gosh I felt proud walking on talk cotton when I went out the door to my truck.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 3:15 PM
  • Good afternoon Turnips!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 3:17 PM
  • Being a person of certain maturity, I have the good sense to realize that my driving has deteriorated and I only drive in optimum conditions. Even though I am willing to make concessions, I find that younger people including those from 16 to 60 do not have the commonsense it takes to leave their cellphones, softdrinks, snacks, makeup, etc laying on the seat beside them until they are out of traffic.

-- Posted by InReply on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 3:18 PM
  • I have been in this situation. My father was very reckless and had a history of strokes, heart problems and passing out. He was tested and put on restrictions. He stated NO ONE would tell him when or where he could drive. His license was revoked. He found another dr. and even though I told the other Dr his medical history he let dad get his license back. That Dr risked his medical license and his savings by doing that. I finally got someone in the Mo DMV to look at his case and they fired a few people for letting that happen. Dad lost his license again for life this time. I took off work to take him places he needed to go and there was a bus he could take. He fought me tooth and nail over this and still does. I caught him driving without his license and he denied he did that. I feel everyone should take a test every so often and after the age of 65 or 70 take it at least every 3 years. It was not easy but I had to look out for the other people out there.

-- Posted by mightymo on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 3:18 PM
  • Good afternoon Swamp,

Wasn't it nice of that young man to bring your truck keys out to you as you were frantically going through your pockets looking for them? ;-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 3:21 PM
  • Me'lange, it has always been the case that drivers above seventy have the second most accidents among age groups. Teens being #1

Any increases over the last 10 years probably has to do with an increase in population of those who we consider elderly. Many are simply living longer. In answer to your question, I do believe current laws and the ability for family members and doctors to contact the DMV are adequate and sufficient.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 3:23 PM
  • ~2. The word choice was a 'bait' to see if someone would 'bite' on being offended. ie previous PC discussions. Thank you for playing along. :-)~ -- Posted by Me'Lange on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 1:15 PM

InReply, Thanks for helping to make my point.

:-)~

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 3:11 PM

Guess you must have had my old professor. He taught me to throw "acceptable" insults in exactly the same manner as you so often profess to be doing. You must not have been listening when he said that after you use that excuse the first time, it no longer holds water.

As far as being offended. No. Just trying to help you get thru your "growing pains".

-- Posted by InReply on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 3:29 PM
  • Oh my!!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 3:33 PM
  • Oh!, one other thing Me'lange. If several here are old coots then I suppose we could be considered a " flock of coots" ... I have yet to find any info on what age and attitude one becomes an "old coot". Can you elaborate on that? As for me I have not relived the 60s quite yet. They are certainly knocking at my door however.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 3:34 PM
  • Could I add something?

If we are going to put people into groups, and require driver testing based on an arbitrary rule/law... let's add another group. All persons receiving a government disability check should have to undergo driver testing once a year. People receiving disability have already testified that they are impared in some way or they would not be on disability. Because none of them would lie about it.... would they?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 3:53 PM
  • She is a school marm by profession. She helps to mold your children into adults. Isn't that neat?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 3:55 PM
  • She is a school marm by profession. She helps to mold your children into adults. Isn't that neat?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 3:55 PM

Sorry to confuse, I was referring to Theorist and her 3:43PM post.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 3:57 PM
  • No amount of legislation will bring guaranteed safety from others actions. As several have stated, policy is already in place for family/doctors/Leos to begin the process of restricting or removing a persons driving privileges.

Wheels,

You think anyone is worried that a man of you advanced age bouncing up and down the highway in your fossil fuel guzzling RV may be a danger to society? :)

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 4:06 PM
  • Theorist, I think your right about the "old coot" and "Old Biddy". In answer to your question concerning old age and firearms I have not seen any statistics on the elderly harming themselves or others with guns. I have however read many stories where elderly men and women have protected themselves from intruders with their weapons.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 4:07 PM
  • Joe,

Think I will go back to a 'horse' and buggy! I sure don't want to waste any of the liberals fossil fuel. We must save, save, save so Air Force 1 can make the full campaign circuit this year. Maybe I will just do my part and stay in Alabama all year.

Wonder if we could put Obama and his crew on the circuit with a fleet of Volts?

If they aren't worried about me they should be Joe, cause if they look like a liberal, I might just run over them on "poipoise". ;-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 4:13 PM
  • MeLange,

Before you break your arm patting yourself on the back for how cute you are... read again what I said....

"The old coots part is offensive and should be used only in the context of "Smile when you call me a SOB""

If you did not understand what I was saying... It can be used as a term of endearment between friends on the one hand and as a slur against someone on the other hand. If you used it as a slur to anger someone, as it appears you are saying you did... it was not cute at all, it was rude. I am sure I am not the only one to see through your intention to rile others to begin with.

Next time, why don't you try using the "N" word and stir up some real crap.

I personally could care less and have enjoyed being called that more than once by friends.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 5:07 PM
  • -- Posted by Theorist on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 3:59 PM

A drivers license is a privilege issued under the purview of a governmental entity, owning a firearm is a right.

-- Posted by 356 on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 5:09 PM

The nap must have done you some real good. You woke up sharp and alert.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 5:12 PM
  • In Reply, I find it interesting that when I point out generally accepted inappropriate PC (for lack of a better term) usage, I get all kinds of crap from the forum "good ole boys".

That's because PC is crap to begin with.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 5:14 PM
  • -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 5:12 PM

Sadly, I didn't get one, I was unable to properly synchronize with my grand children's naps.

-- Posted by 356 on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 5:23 PM

You shall not sleep if they are awake!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 5:27 PM
  • Me'lange, You got to do better than that to offend me. So far I only see humor in your antics, kind of like Barney shooting the floor and having to give up his bullets.

I like it when you introduce a subject and then proceed to deem it a proper discussion within your proper rules of discussion after being baited into declaring such. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 5:28 PM
  • -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 5:27 PM

That's for sure, but they sure are a lot of fun.

-- Posted by 356 on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 5:31 PM

Yes they are and if they are still pretty young, you will think back years later of some of the things they said. My soon to be 18 year old grand daughter was a mess when she was a youngster. I would try to sleep in on Saturday morning and she would be over. It would go Where's Papa, Papa's lost, Papa. When she finally found me it was all over. We are up now!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 5:37 PM
  • Me'Lange, evidently I can use the word and you cannot. ☺

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 5:39 PM
  • Turnip,

By definition! :-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 5:41 PM
  • Hmmmm.

When hypocrusy is so highly regarded as a topic, wonder why I never got a response to the hypocrisy I pointed out a few days back.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 6:02 PM
  • An "old coot", in my opinion, can be defined by attitude and demeanor better than age. They are usually male, and may be married to an "old biddy". Hope this helps!

-- Posted by Theorist on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 3:43 PM

Whoops! Were you using Bing again? Biddy and codger are gender specific. Coot, like curmudgeon, is not.

-- Posted by InReply on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 6:44 PM
  • Sadly, I didn't get one, I was unable to properly synchronize with my grand children's naps.

-- Posted by 356 on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 5:23 PM

How on earth do you do that? My grands are wide awake and checking under my eyelids if I dare to snooze when they are around.

-- Posted by InReply on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 6:47 PM
  • Old heifer is.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 7:16 PM
  • Old geezer is gender specific. As to the following list, I see you are lumping nouns and adjectives. I'm not usually this pedantic, but I am a quick study and you and

Theorist have taught us a lot.

I agree this is fun and I wish I had more time this evening.

-- Posted by InReply on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 8:20 PM
  • Before I forget. I got this in an email today. It may be old, but it's appropriate for this thread.

A senior citizen said to his eighty-year old buddy:

'So I hear you're getting married?'

'Yep!'

'Do I know her?'

'Nope!'

'This woman, is she good looking?'

'Not really.'

'Is she a good cook?'

'Naw, she can't cook too well.'

'Does she have lots of money?'

'Nope! Poor as a church mouse.'

'Well, then, is she good in bed?'

'I don't know.'

'Why in the world do you want to marry her then?'

'Because she can still drive!'

-- Posted by InReply on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 8:29 PM
  • I think the bottem line boils down to trusting the old folks will know when to give it up. If not we have an over abundance of enforcers on the highways and a whole bunch of people with cell phones that can't wait to please the state reporting an infraction of law.

For all you youngsters: You'll be old too.....that is if you live long enough! :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 8:43 PM
  • -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 5:37 PM

We have them from three to twenty and you sure are right, wish we had written some of the stuff down.

-- Posted by InReply on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 6:47 PM

Only way is to sleep when they do, otherwise, if they are awake EVERYBODY is awake! :-)

-- Posted by 356 on Fri, Mar 9, 2012, at 5:07 AM
  • How come there are no young coots?

-- Posted by DADES on Fri, Mar 9, 2012, at 11:24 AM
  • BC,

Please be careful as you zip through the Metropolis of Dongola on the wrong side of the road. You might run over a possum and never even know it at your advanced age!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Mar 9, 2012, at 12:21 PM
  • Theorist,

Why do you appear to hate men? Especially those that might appear more intelligent.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Mar 9, 2012, at 12:40 PM
  • I certainly have no problem with the family members watching my progression and reminding me when I need to hang it up.

But I have a big problem with Big Brother choosing an arbitrary age for me to be junmping through hoops that they deem necessary.

No two people are alike, Me"Lange mentions she has limitations at less than 50 years of age, yet I knew a gentlemnan that drove 18 wheelers across country for at least 10 years after his 65th birthday. Not sure how long he drove them after that, but he drove as an independant and took his little granddaughtrer with him on many trips. He never had an accident and I know he was stopped out west after a patrolman thought him driving an 18 wheeler through the dessert at night a little over 80mph was a little excessive.

Drivers testing for seniors at an arbitrary age is uncalled for. It depends on the individual, some younger persons need to be retested much earlier, so should we start burdening everyone at say 50 years of age?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Mar 9, 2012, at 2:01 PM
  • BC,

You will do as SHE pleases... and if you say different, I will tell her next time I see her. ;-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Mar 9, 2012, at 2:04 PM
  • MeLange

There is that arbitrary age again, that catches competent people and exempts people with limitations... like yourself.

I totally disagree.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Mar 9, 2012, at 2:21 PM
  • Which one of you nutterbutters put the voodoo on me? I woke up sicker than a dog today. I ain't happy.

Rick, sorry about your father.

-- Posted by Turnip on Fri, Mar 9, 2012, at 3:14 PM
  • I believe Missouri requires a license renewal every three years after the age of seventy, so I am not sure we need to go beyond what is on the books.

Like Me'Lange, I have already started self imposed restrictions on my driving. I can still drive safely at night as well as in heavy traffic in large cities, I just tend to avoid it whenever possible. There will come a time when I will get more strict and hopefully when the time comes, I will hang up my keys altogether. I don't get out much anyway.

-- Posted by 356 on Fri, Mar 9, 2012, at 3:28 PM
  • -- Posted by ~~Rick on Fri, Mar 9, 2012, at 3:34 PM

Me too Rick, I lost my fascination with driving long ago, I get to see more stuff as a passenger anyway.

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Fri, Mar 9, 2012, at 3:35 PM

I didn't either, so I looked it up.

Yeah, oftentimes people don't realize how poorly they drive regardless of the age, so I have no problem with Doctors being mandated reporters.

-- Posted by 356 on Fri, Mar 9, 2012, at 3:46 PM
  • chicks can't lay eggs without roosters☺

-- Posted by ~~Rick on Fri, Mar 9, 2012, at 12:54 PM

Rick, I thought you were a farm boy, was I wrong? Chicks that grow up to be hens can lay eggs. They just aren't fertile without a rooster. And, the animal kingdom teaches us that prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Melange, sorry to hear you're sick. That acid reflux is nasty....how's the gallbladder?

Increasing the amount of testing doesn't change things. There wasn't a driver's test my mother couldn't pass. She always waited until the day she felt really good to take it. It didn't keep her from driving the wrong way on highway 24 one night when she turned onto a poorly marked exit ramp. It was miles before I could convince her we were going the wrong way. Soon after I began to notice her good driving days were sporatic at best. On her next test. she passed with flying colors. Unfortunately, there are medical conditions that can't be detected by a driver's test or a concerned family member.

-- Posted by InReply on Fri, Mar 9, 2012, at 4:13 PM
  • CDLs without Haz-Mat endorsement good for 6yrs. DOT physical every 2 yrs sans high blood pressure, every year with high blood pressure.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Fri, Mar 9, 2012, at 11:21 PM
  • The problem will take care of it's self as time goes by. No one will be able to afford the gas, the license, or a car on the course we are taking.

Also, when all the unemployed children move back in with mom and dad and bring the grandchildren, there should be some young drivers available to herd the old Buick down the road. After the kids blow the engine on the old car, public transportation will be the choice over the $80,000 new go-cart.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Mar 9, 2012, at 11:36 PM
  • Wheels, I sense a little passion in that post.

I don't think we can put a number on age as far as any evaluation of competence in driving or anything else.

Like Me'lange I recognize I'm not a teenager any more. 15 years of driving a rig with cargo that can easily shift has engrained a habit of easy go and easy stop. Might be why I can get better gas mpg than most and a 100,000 miles out of a set of brake pads.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 1:00 AM
  • Wheels, a friend of mine is 85 years old and drives 7000 and 8000 Series John Deere tractors, grain trucks, pickups, cars and UTV's. My dad drove trucks commercially well into his seventies and drove tractors until he died, My mother is past 90 and still drives; no accidents for any of them.

-- Posted by 356 on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 7:01 AM
  • -- Posted by Me'Lange on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 8:18 AM

I must admit that I have somewhat mixed feelings about this issue. I don't necessarily oppose screening, I just don't know if we can pick an age when screenings should be more frequent or in depth.

Seventy is thrown out, why not sixty, sixty-five, seventy-five etc.?

How about mandatory, enhanced, more frequent screenings for people with handicapped parking placards?

We get all bent out of shape about driving distracted by using a cell phone, but not by having three kids fighting and screaming in the back of a Volkswagen.

It seems if we think about it, we could come up with a lot of safety rules if we just tried; put more wheels and a top on a motorcycle, so it will not tip over or if it does no one gets hurt, put rev limiters on all vehicles restricting top speed and rapid acceleration, have graduated licenses to allow those who work to drive more than those who don't to cut down on traffic, no retirees allowed on the road during peak hours.

Some may be absurd, but some of these have been discussed by government officials.

One last thing, as a society, we just don't respect people of a certain age and I think Wheels has some good points as I have seen this first hand.

-- Posted by 356 on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 8:54 AM
  • "Given the majority have asked their doctors for the special treatment, based on their abilities, they should not have a problem with special driving screening."

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 9:10 AM

I'm thinking a lot would as the permit is issued based on difficulty in "walking", not "driving", RSMo 301.142.

-- Posted by 356 on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 10:01 AM
  • Would anyone be interested in knowing that in Michigan and Kentucky at least, you can renew your drivers license on line? Two people I know here, both retirees, shared that information with me when I told them of my experience with the Missouri Dept of Revenue.

However, in Missouri we who have testing already in place, we need to make it even more restrictive on a class of folks who deserve respect rather than have more restrictions inmposed on them by an ungrateful bunch of heirs who think they have all the answers. I guess it is our own fault for not teaching them proper manners as they grew up.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 12:59 PM
  • Me'Lange, Seems to me that you have brought your question about "recertification" around to the point of discussing it as if it was a proposal of law makers seeking input before they enact such.

Again you seem to have an idea where a thread should go and in what manner it can be debated.

Maybe some see a sense of fairness and authority granted to the creator of a thread to control the discussion, but in the real world that's just not the way it works.

I still use the forums first for entertainment and any education I get is a bonus.

Thanks for the entertainment! :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 1:11 PM
  • Old John,

"While you might have viewed this (and other) topics as entertainment, a few of us were having a serious discussions. ie driving safety, public schools etc"

Maybe the few could be categorized as... 'Do not play well with others.'

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 2:24 PM
  • -- Posted by Me'Lange on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 12:39 PM

Yeah, we are thinking along different lines as I don't think people with disabilities like to be grouped as an "at risk" group for driving or anything else. As the statutes clearly give the reasons for the issuance as difficulty in walking any distance and nothing else, to automatically single them out for increased scrutiny in any other area is fundamentally unfair.

I continue to have difficulty with proposition that there is some arbitrary age at which an entire group of people need to be singled out for increased screening.

At the same time, seeing my physical and maybe mental abilities deteriorating with age, I cannot deny this happens, so thus my conundrum.

-- Posted by 356 on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 2:32 PM

I think you stated it well. You cannot lump everybody into neat little boxes. Because what comes next is pulling their strings to suit your needs.

I would like to see the statistics where Michigan, Kentucky and other states who apparently do not have ongoing testing and simply let you renew on line, stack up with Missouri and others that do. I think you will see some back paddleing and explainations as to why their accident rates vary little from our own.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 3:15 PM
  • Several others in this age group are reading and posting. They certainly have NOT taken the discussion as personal.

It is simple, we disagree.

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 12:51 PM

I think I would wait until I took a poll to make that statement.

Those others may have posted because the subject was concerning additional driving tests for those of a certain age.

Being one of those who takes the driving test with ease, I find your premise in error. I can't drive worth a darn and gave it up three years ago accept when in the country and the roads are clear of traffic.

-- Posted by InReply on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 3:27 PM
  • -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 3:15 PM

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 3:16 PM

When I was thirty, forty seemed old, when I was forty, fifty seemed old, when I was fifty, sixty seemed old and so it goes.

With the increased life expectancy and improved quality of life for all of us, we may very well be aiming at a moving target.

I too would like to see the statistics of the states with and without. I often think, we are given a skewed picture with the sensational coverage of an elderly person who runs through a McDonald's or runs into pedestrians. Yes, this are horrific, but maybe should be balanced by overall "accident" rates of all ages.

What age group gets the most DWI arrests, high speed collisions and those involving a fatality etc.?

I was a more skilled driver in my teens and twenties than I am now, but I was also driving way to fast, put enough burned rubber smoke in the air to be cited by the EPA and so on.

I sure wish I was smart enough to know if there is a problem and even better, the best solution, but I fear like Rick, the more I think the more I get mixfused.

-- Posted by 356 on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 3:31 PM
  • I would like to see the statistics where ........ Kentucky .......I think you will see some back paddleing and explainations as to why their accident rates vary little from our own.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 3:15 PM

Ah c'mon, Wheels, Have you ever driven in Kentucky? Man. you take your life in your hands on those roads.

-- Posted by InReply on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 3:33 PM
  • The link below provides NHTSA statistics for fatal crashes per 100 million miles driven, as well as a lot of other informnation, but nothing on elderly drivers that I could find. (Maybe they do not see it as a problem?)

But a quick look says:

MIssouri has 1.27 fatalities per 100 million miles.

Michigan has .90 and Kentecky has 1.67.

All rural areas have a higher rate than the urban areas do. So by MeLange's logic, all people outside the major metropolitan areas shoulde receive additional and more frequent testing. And I will bet that if we look far enough we can have the sun rising over the west coast.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/departments/nrd-30/ncsa/STSI/USA%20WEB%20REPORT.HTM

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 4:03 PM
  • Not cranky at all, my ribs are about finished smokeing, I have been outside smelling the orange blossoms fragrance as I worked and I get to eat in a few minutes.

It's just that your verbal stick poking at me is over without a response.

I reserve the right to disagree with YOU, without all of the inuendos and related BS you are most often good for.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 4:55 PM
  • Let usd just say, YOU are not the final word on what is over the top.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 6:16 PM
  • Good grief. Some of you would argue w/ a dam wall. ☺

Rick, I'm feeling better, thanks for asking.

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 9:56 PM
  • Still entertainment. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 11:00 PM
  • While you might have viewed this (and other) topics as entertainment, a few of us were having a serious discussions. ie driving safety, public schools etc

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 1:27 PM

Melange, in this respect the mistake is yours. Forum threads have a tendency to lose their appeal and become boring if they don't evolve into something else. Then they drift to the bottom of the heap and lose their chance to attract a new reader. It's the old posters moving on to a new conversation that keeps the thread in view.

-- Posted by InReply on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 11:26 PM
  • I guess I am a half a bubble off from the start on this subject when I can't understand the "driving is a privedge" part.

To me priveledge is reserved for the elite or granted to those who have no right to it.

When we pay taxes to build the roads, pay taxes to patrol the roads, pay taxes on the cars we own, I think we have paid for and are entitled to drive.

If as a society based on the rule of law we make it illegal to drive if one in unable to do so in a safe way, then onus is on law enforcement with probable cause to make the case against one's license to drive, not a mandantory age based extra test that shifts the burdon of proof on the driver regardless of any claims against him.

Hope that makes sense.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 11:52 PM
  • Old John,

It's a privilege because the government says it is so, and we elected the flakes that say so.

Certainly agree with the last paragraph adamently. My desire to live will go a long way towards telling me when it is time to quit driving. I am not and never have been suicidal, so do not intend risking my life or others unnecessarily.

Still think anyonbe claiming a hanbdicap and are drawing a handicap pension should be forced to undergo more frequent testing before they get to the over 70 group. Not to say there aren't some people over 70 that should not be driving.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 12:50 AM
  • Reply,

I was told many years ago... "If you don't keep your humor, they may find you floating down the creek beside a sack of cats."

I understood what the older gentleman told me and have tried to live accordingly. If that does not please all.... well, that is truly unfortunate.

Also remember my Dad telling me to keep my nose out of other people's business. As an added, he told me if I had that much extra time on my hands he would find something to fill the voids.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 1:00 AM
  • Geesh, Wheels, I think you do keep your humor. You're a lot nicer than I would be given some of the posts directed at you.

Well, they're hitting us with dst tonight, This shortening my night goes against all I hold holy. If I don't get to bed, tomorrow will get passed by.

-- Posted by InReply on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 1:12 AM
  • My father also still tells everyone he had no accidents or tickets. He had several accidents and the last ticket he got he was 87 years old and got caught going 87 in a 60 on a busy highway that was 2 lanes that a lot of fatal accidents happen in that area.

He still swears up and down there is nothing wrong with his driving and that he gave his license up on his own.

I was riding with him one day and he ran another car off the road. I pointed it out and he said "F" them they didnt need to be there. I pointed out they were in the outside lane and he was turning left in a dual left turn lane. He would run stop signs, look at the side of the road while driving while never looking ahead.

I know I will be his age one day or at least the age of 70. I will not back down from the view that EVERY ONE should get retested at least at a certain age wether its 40,70 or any other age.

All he talked about was his rights. I asked him about the rights of the other drivers to be safe and their right to live. He stated he did not care about their rights.

I do not care for someone to drive at the age of 100 IF they can do so safely. But there is a time some have to give up their keys and their PRIVILEGE to be able to drive.

A friend of mine told me his dad hit a street sweeper once and said his the sweepers fault. His dad was legally blind. This friend was a police captain and had to sell his dads car. The state did not want to take his dads license even though he could not pass the eye test.

I still did not like the fact i had to step in and do what I did but I could not stand by and let my father kill someone else either.

If your family members are worried about your driving listen to them please!

-- Posted by mightymo on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 8:21 AM
  • Still entertainment. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Mar 10, 2012, at 11:00 PM

Indeed. Guess that's why I keep coming back!!

☺ ☻ ☺ ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 9:44 AM
  • I don't know if someone said this but 70 isn't that old. My mamma is punching 90 and drives a Cadillac CTS-V that will outrun most cars. She does fine and NEVER had an accident or ticket. But put someone in the car testing her and she will be a nervous wreck. Can I also use the word political suicide?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 6:51 PM
  • I might think about once a person is pulled over because of bad driving after a certain age they should have a mental test which would check for dementia which causes most of the problems. But a across the board retesting in the car is a little much at 70. My uncle is 88 and still drives to the lake every week and Florida for the winter. He drives as good or better than me.

Most people get mad because seniors might drive the speed limit and come to a full stop instead of driving like a maniac like them.

What I am saying my mother drove Dads dump truck in her twenties and still drives to Cape 3 times a week. Following her she is a better drive than the young women putting on makeup and talking on the phone.

If you put someone in the car testing mom she would be to nervous. My daughter is going to school for a senior citizen study. She said she can spot dementia in just a few minutes and that would be a reason for concerns. Confusion and slow thought process can be found in an simple interview.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 7:51 PM
  • Age has nothing to do with it. Early onset dementia and debilitating brain tumors can hit at any age. While some would prefer to abdicate familial responsibilities to government entities, we should remember, our parents didn't pass the buck. They took care of our little ADD, autistic, and just plain rotten behinds without flinching.

-- Posted by InReply on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 8:56 PM
  • Wheels, I'm sure your bad posting choices will somehow become my fault. :-)~

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 7:17 PM

Unlike the rest of us, I've noticed that Wheels usually owns his posting choices.

-- Posted by InReply on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 8:58 PM
  • Wheels, I started feeling a head cold coming on Friday. After three evenings at work, these old funny bones started aching so that it felt good to be in the rain tonight getting a good cooling off.

When I read "Maybe you can all take turns using your broom. :-)" I laughed enough to blow out that flake of red pepper in the left nostril and that wad of cotten from the right! Them funny bones feel better now.:)

Am I mistaken or is Me'Lange learning to be a better sport about my targeted sarcasm? :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 11:19 PM
  • Hey Hey Hey Boo Boo, A slow poke old coot on the road.

Why do old coots poke Yogi?

Well, might I say Boo Boo, the old coots are poking along so they can watch out for the pic-in-nick basket case drivers! :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 11:31 PM
  • Age has nothing to do with it. Early onset dementia and debilitating brain tumors can hit at any age. While some would prefer to abdicate familial responsibilities to government entities, we should remember, our parents didn't pass the buck. They took care of our little ADD, autistic, and just plain rotten behinds without flinching.

-- Posted by InReply on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 8:56 PM

Reply,

That is pretty much in a nutshell what I have been trying to say for two days or more, hell I forget, time flies when you're having fun.

Regards your second post... not so sure about that, sometimes think my choices of most everything end up owning me.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 12:05 AM
  • Old John,

Hope you are feeling better.

Am I mistaken or is Me'Lange learning to be a better sport about my targeted sarcasm? :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 11:19 PM

I wouldn't count on it.... more likely trying to figure a way to nail your hide to the barn door would be more like it. ;-) ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 12:14 AM
  • I just had a thought Old John. I sometimes wonder what I am doing on these threads, and I believe you are correct Entertainment or just plain amusement has to be the reason. Because you sure as hell can very seldom change anyone's mind on anything printed in here and we're not making any money doing this. Some of these opinions are downright hilareous however and I guess that goes a long way toward making it worth while.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 12:23 AM
  • Wheels, Like someone posted, It would be a boring world if everyone thunk alike.

Within the last two years two people close to me have had car accidents due to unexpected medical problems while driving. One old and one young.

Neither could have been prevented by age selected screening whether it be a driving test or medical test.

When I feel I can't trust my own driving I got a neighbor that's 86 who I can ask to drive me.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 12:36 AM
  • Old John,

There will come a time when we will all need to hang up the keys.

At this time in life however, I feel my driving abilities are still in pretty good shape, my driving record should prove something. One of the things that I feel has something to do with having avoided a lot of accidents that I could have been involved in is my peripheral vision. While watching the road ahead, I have no problem seeing my wife sitting across the car from me or someone starting out away fdrom the curb or out of a side road. It has kept me from being broadside more than once. Obviously there is more to driving than that, but my reflexes are still good. I have no problem driving at night, although being retired, I do not do it as much as I once did. Most of my driving is daytime because I want to enjoy the scenery and the countyside ahead of me.

I feel discriminating because of age is not the way to go. Some of us have better things to do than screwing around with another government mandate.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 1:18 AM
  • Have_Wheels_Will_Travel "I sometimes wonder what I am doing on these threads"

it would seem you got bored beating your partner or kicking the hell out of your pets

-- Posted by chocolate thread on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 1:45 AM
  • Cardiac,

I have no pets and even I am smarter than to beat up on my wife. The thought of waking up and having my blankee pinned to my chest with a fillet knife alone would be enough to skuttle that thought.

Who's "Sock Puppet" are you. Come on.... fess up!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 9:30 AM
  • I often wonder how much of this is driven by purely public safety concerns and how much due purely due to ageism.

-- Posted by 356 on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 9:48 AM
  • Wheels,

Have you been kicking the hell out of glugites again?

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:02 AM

I think you are onto something. Yongsters always think they are never going to get old themselves.

They need a cause to support the "We need a law" mentality of the left and it might as well be seniors we legislate against.

A saw an old guy myself just yesterday. He must have been at least 90, and he was busy working the fruit bar over at the breakfast buffet. Probably just trying to stay a 'regular guy'. I think he was disappointed because they didn't have any prunes.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:03 AM
  • Joe,

I haven't been able to find any here for the past couple of weeks. Probably the reason for the mood I am in. They must be seasonal, and with the mild weather, maybe they have already migrated back north. ;-)

Anybody got any ideas on how I am to get home in a few weeks. At my advanced stage of life... not to mention the high cost of diesel, I suppose I should put that on my worry list.

Joe do you suppose you could hold a 'Help Get Wheels Home Fund Raiser' , and then if you could spare a little time you could hop on a bus and drive me home.

PS: Don't forget to bring the proceeds from the fund raiser.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:14 AM
  • -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:03 AM

Wheels, it is a constant source of amusement to watch how my children deal with their children and do the things they said they would never do as a parent.

Perceptions on life, age, parenting and so many things when you are the one experiencing it rather than being an observer.

-- Posted by 356 on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:32 AM
  • Wheels,

I will see what I can do for you. I have not yet reached the status of old coot, so i would probably be a suitable driver to get you and the Mrs home, that is if she is able to make the trip:)

As far as the donations I am guessing there will be a split decision among our fellow forum members. The posse of which you are a member would gladly help fund your trip home. The others would probably only donate to a fund to have you in permanent exile.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:49 AM
  • -- Posted by ~~Rick on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:11 AM

Rick,

Better be careful or you will be lumped into one of those groups that it has been suggested I become a registered member of. ;-)

Cannot mention their name here... but they do have a theme song. It is credited to Jimmy Buffett.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:55 AM
  • Perceptions on life, age, parenting and so many things when you are the one experiencing it rather than being an observer.

-- Posted by 356 on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:32 AM

You can bet your life on it.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:57 AM
  • "that is if she is able to make the trip:)"

You mean after the bruises and broken bones mend? ;-)

"The others would probably only donate to a fund to have you in permanent exile."

Hmmmm! Never thought of that. :-(

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 11:03 AM
  • Wheels, some will donate for fuel and others for spike strips.

-- Posted by 356 on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 11:24 AM

Now that's funny!

Joe,

Did you catch that, sharpen up your driving skills so that you can take er down into the ditch safely to get around the spike strips.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 11:55 AM
  • Wheels,

We may need Rick, OJ or Donk to run blocker for us, kinda like Smokey and the Bandit. Instead of hauling a truck load of beer cross country I will be hauling geritol:)

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 12:36 PM
  • Joe,

With the group you named and myself included... you might want to see if you can find a bottle of Watkins Linamenmt as well. We may get a sore spot or two,

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 1:05 PM
  • Maybe a bottle of Old Crow for the old coots

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 1:11 PM
  • Not to be opened till we get home... couploe of them are wild enough without it.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 1:20 PM
  • And Joe, no stopping in Kentucky for any horsing around either,;-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 1:23 PM
  • Wheels, I'll be down that way in about a month or so, I'll drive you back. You can entertain my kids (that'll keep you busy) while me and your wife have a nice, looooong chat! ☺ ☻ ☺ ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 2:29 PM
  • Unless of course Indiania does not require testing for school bus drivers, which I doubt because I would think they would need a CDL license, it appears that more stringent testing does not prevent fatalities no matter the age of the driver.

Certainly s CD License requires a more thorough test than an Opereators License does.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 4:37 PM
  • Wheels, I'll be down that way in about a month or so, I'll drive you back. You can entertain my kids (that'll keep you busy) while me and your wife have a nice, looooong chat! ☺ ☻ ☺ ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 2:29 PM

Holy Bats*** Robin, I don't think I am wired for that kind of stress.

But on the other hand, how old is the then 3 year old when Spank and I were going to teach him how to cuss and chew tobacco. I would bet there is still a thing or two I could teach him in a couple of days travel. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 4:44 PM
  • -- Posted by Me'Lange on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 3:11 PM

Opinion not fact.

-- Posted by 356 on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 4:20 AM
  • Me'Lange, based on your obsession with this subject, it is increasingly my my suspicion that your opinions are driven by ageism.

-- Posted by 356 on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 7:40 AM
  • Wheels, he's 5 and trust me, you wouldn't be able to get a word in edgewise, unless it was to answer his endless, I mean endless amount of questions!!! ☺

Rick, quit playin', you'd let me drive you anywhere! ☺ ☻ ☺ ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 7:51 AM
  • Turnips,

Good morning.

Sounds like the little fella has a very curious mind. That is good, he wants to learn and right now has a very open mind to receive information.

Don't let him read Speak Out and the Threads... he won't learn much here!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 9:33 AM
  • Morning, Wheels. The lil' fella might be able to teach you a thing or two. Just sayin'. ☺

-- Posted by Turnip on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 9:41 AM
  • Turnips,

No, he cannot teach me anything, I have a closed mind... if you don't believe me just ask. ;-)

On the other hand, if I heard some intelligent conversation I might open up. :-)

Sounds to me like your little tyke may have too high of an IQ level to be posting on here.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 9:55 AM
  • Wheels, he's definately a handful, if you can believe that. I thought the girl was tough, pfffff...I ain't seen nothing yet.

-- Posted by Turnip on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 10:13 AM
  • Turnips,

Girls are easier to raise, I'll testify to that. When he gets about 5th grade, your attendance record at school may be better than his. :-(

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 11:11 AM
  • MeLange, I just read your post about a "national" test. That tends to make me balk at even considering the idea. Unless you want a totalitarian government, I suggest you rethink your premise.

-- Posted by InReply on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 10:03 PM
  • 356, Excuse me, I thought we were having a debate. You said "opinion", I shared more facts. Then you rebutted with a personal attack. You lost the debate. :-)~

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 6:45 PM

To disagree with MeLange is a personal attack!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 1:28 AM
  • -- Posted by Me'Lange on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 6:45 PM

Trust me, that was no attack, if I ever attack you, it will be a whole lot different than that. It is simply my opinion.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 1:28 AM

So it would seem.

-- Posted by 356 on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 5:27 AM
  • Like many, I have family advancing to this stage of life. I'm not looking forward to this discussion, but will be well-informed when it is brought up.

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 7:28 AM

It appears this thread may be good training for your future family discussion.

I have a couple of elderly family members who are in their early 90's. Both still drive. They pull their boat about 50 miles to fish in Illinois several times a week through spring and summer months. They drive to Cape for doctor appointments, plus local driving around home.

They took it upon themselves to reduce or eliminate night driving because of eyesight issues after dark.

They have been in one accident their entire lives which occured about 5 years ago. They were rearended at a stoplight by a woman in her 40's who was arguing with her boyfriend/husband and not paying attention.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 8:16 AM
  • Come on you "ole Coots", I know you have some thoughts on this topic. :-)~

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 7:05 AM

356, Please rejoin the grown-up discussion. This is a topic that will touch each of us at some point. Thus worthy of a respectful discussion.

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 7:40

Yes.... lots of love and respect here!

I agree with 356, an obsession is exhibited here, but maybe not what 356 was thinking, I see an obsession to be "right" no matter what. That also is not an attack, it is an opinion based on observation.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 9:15 AM
  • Morning, Wheels. Man, that really rubbed you the wrong way, huh? Just can't let it go. Don't you know she was playin'? Didn't you see the smiley w/the tongue?

-- Posted by Turnip on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 9:59 AM
  • Morning Turnips,

Just like you have a saying that goes "Don't start none and there won't ber none".

I also have one and it goes "Smile when you call me a SOB". You ain't smiling when your tongue is out.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 10:47 AM
  • Seriously, how many 'marriages' have caused fatal accidents that include innocent by-standers?

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 11:40 AM

I'm sure there are several old coots sitting in prison right now because they couldnt take the nagging anymore:)

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 12:32 PM
  • Baby Boomers are gonna drive no matter what you say! Oh, also, I am waiting for the Boomers to wake up and start voting as a serious block too.....that might change things in this country!!

-- Posted by vietnamvet on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 6:32 AM
  • This thread started with questiong if or not seniors as a group should be tested because they may be a hazard on the road.

Last week something rather amusing came to my attention. My wife and I was following a lady with a pickup truck pulling an empty boat trailer. The boards that cradle the boat, for lack of a better name were apparently rotten and one of them had come loose and was dragging on the ground with nothing but the carpeting wrapped around it holding it together as it appeared broken in a couple of places and it looked a little like a big piece of spaggetti as the end dragged on the pavement.

I tried to attract her attention by flashing the lights, while keeping my distance. When she pulled up to a stop, I pulled closer and blowed the horn. No acknowledgement she heard or saw.

I gave up and stayed back in case the piece fell off her trailer.

I went to the Post Office and apparently the lady took a longer route and pulled into the parking lot also, still dragging the broken piece. She turned a corner too short and the trailer jumped a curb and hopped around in the shrubbery a bit before returning to the pavement. The lady drove on! I just shook my head and went into the Post Office.

When I came out, where is wife. She is over comforting the distressed lady with the trailer who had worked her way into the corner of the parking lot then tried to back up. Well the trailer jack knifed and went over another curb backwards.

Want to hear something funny, the lady never knew the trailer was behind her, until she looked in her mirror and suddenly saw it was almost beside her. I asked my wife, how old was that woman? She said, somewhere in her 40's

Now I was up and on the road this morning at 5:01 AM with my 45' motor home and car in tow. I pulled into my brother's in Bollinger County at 4:30 this afternoon, soome 670 miles from where I started in Gulf Shores, Alabama. I, probably just luckily, missed everybody in Mississippi, wasn't in Tennessee long enough to cause any trouble, and in Arkansas, was only twice encroached on in the lane I was driving in by Professional truck drivers who just drifted over, no damage there either, I had a horn and a brake.

Now being over 70 by a few years, and in that group that some seems to think need retesting, I somehow made it over 600 miles today and caused no threat to anyone, I am wondering, who needs testing more do you suppose, me... or the 40 something year old lady I followed for less than 6 miles, trying to attract her attention to make her aware of the hazard she was possibly making for others, and who was so unaware of her surroundings she did not even know she left in a vehicle that was hooked to a trailer?

By the way, back at the Post Office, my wife wanted to know what I am going to do to help the lady.... I said look she has a cell phone, she is talking on it right now, get in the car. I don't suffer stupid well.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 11:18 PM
  • ...thank you for supporting my thoughts on those of all ages who are towing various vehicles.

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 7:02 AM

MeLange,

Sometimes your tunnel vision and lack of comprehension absolutely amazes even me.

The ability to tow or not to tow a trailer had nothing to do with the situation I reported on. It was her total lack or awareness to what was going on around her in the world that I tried to point out. That silly woman had no intention of towing a trailer, then, the day before or ever! She told my wife she did not know how to handle a trailer behind her vehicle and did not know it was back there. Do you think she ever looks in her rear view mirror?

I think this a good case for advocating the testing of all women once they reach the age of 40 on a regular basis.

And MeLange so far as testing, the two professional drivers that I was passing were CDL tested drivers running 18 wheelers for large companies. I was passing them at the time (NOT SPEEDING) as most of the truckers passed me. The were obviously not paying attention.

And my wife... she complimented me several times for getting her to destination safely, which is easy incidentally, when she is asleep in the passenger seat and not directing my activity.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 9:52 AM
  • Exactly Melange...what a kind heard the Mrs. has... and what a hard one the Mr. owns!

-- Posted by Theorist on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 8:15 AM

Theorist

A couple of things here.... yes I have noticed that she has asked me to repeat things a lot the last couple of years, and as to the rest of that sentence, please try not getting that personal with me on these threads. ;-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 9:56 AM
  • Thanks Rick! It was tough at my advanced age, but I live to terrorize the younger know it all set on the highways another day. :-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 10:00 AM
  • "Non-professional aka recreational who wish the privilege to drive vehicles over 20' should tested for a special towing license, just like a motorcycle certification."

If it moves 0ver 20', test it. If it moves less than 20', road tax it. If it won't move, stimulate it!

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 10:47 AM
  • -- Posted by Me'Lange on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 10:37 AM

MeLange,

I have always thought you were an egotiscal idiot... you have confirmed it.

Now... knowing nothing personal whatsoever about my wife and me, you have decided to be a marriage counseler as well.

If you were one of the people that truly knows us, you would realize your uninvited assessment of our wedded bliss, or lack of same, could not be further from the truth.

We spent 37 or so years working side by side starting from scratch a small business and growing it. We discussed and disagreed on many things during those years but were able to get by it and go on. That business will be 50 years old next year providing some unforseen disaster.

So... since you want to get personal and discuss marriage... let's work on yours for a little while. What happened, could he no put up with your know it all attitude any longer and decided this is it? Would you want to discuss it further... you will find I am able to get just as personal and obnoxious as you can when it comes to answering back when my character is attacked. I am too old to put up with a lot of BS from wet behind the ears kids.

My personal opinion... your failed marriage bothers hell out of you when you see others who have weathered the years and can still laugh and enjoy one another's company after 54 1/2 years of marriage.

Now do you want to continue discussing it or would you like to butt out of my personal affairs?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 11:06 AM
  • -- Posted by ~~Rick on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 12:08 PM

Agreed, but a person cannot bring it up and not expect repercussions.

Now hopefully we can get back to the really important stuff like denigrating people over a certain age.

-- Posted by 356 on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 12:48 PM
  • -- Posted by ~~Rick on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 12:57 PM

I agree Rick, but as another poster says, "don't start none; won't be none.

I hope it can continue with civility or die. I personally think it has about been fished out myself.

-- Posted by 356 on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 1:28 PM
  • 356, We could bring the power chairs into the discussion. Me'lange may want to consider testing skills before allowing those things to be driven down the super market aisles. How many children will have to die due to power chair back over accidents before something is done!

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 1:37 PM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 1:37 PM

Shhhh, don't give anyone any ideas. :)

When I get one, I think I am going to retrofit a grain dryer motor to it, yeah buddy.

-- Posted by 356 on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 1:47 PM
  • Old John,

I might go along with power chair testing. Not only for driving skill but also test for a legitamate need for usage.

The islse of my local walmart look like a battery powered gran prix. Many of the competitors in this "race" appear to be using the powerchair for a condition known as laziness. It grates on me to see a 30 or 40 something woman in a power chair parked cross ways of the isle chatting it up with a friend while others are trying to squeeze by, then a hour later seeing her able body walking out of the local liquir store with a carton of smokes and a fifth of old crow.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 2:17 PM
  • 'I have not been married since I was 25 years old'

'Was I sorry to see my 15 year relationship end.'

Getting married at age 10 can end that way. Mom and wife's mom waited until they were 15. :)

I understand about disabilities. A lot of folks would fair ok at Walmart if they would just add a few resting benches.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 5:20 PM
  • MeLange, Is this another what I meant rather than what I said moments? No problem, we all understand. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 6:36 PM
  • Me'Lange, Either you don't know how to write or I don't know how to read. But you wrote it.

Reminds me of a guy that ran up to the stall next to me and said "Ah, that's better than a good ice cream!" I said, "Buddy either you've never had good ice cream or I don't know how to pee"

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 7:51 PM
  • "Wheels, I have not been married since I was 25 years old and not sorry I ended it."

I also need help with this one... and I don't think I am that old that I cannot read and comprehend what a short sentence says. A 15 year marriage that ends at 25 years of age means you were married at 10 years old.

I would like to see this explained away in an understandable way or someone admit they were wrong for a change.

I have been married for 54 1/2 years old and never regreted any part of it. We both feel the same way and nobody is living with anyone else's BS... you come to these threads for that.

Still think women over 40 should be tested regularly to drive, for attention span if nothing else.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 8:30 PM
  • Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

Just a reminder from one of the village idiots. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 8:38 PM
  • "And why you are so sensitive about regular testing after age 70 (and your crankiness)."

Because it is arbitrary and age discriminatory for atarters, and also because I have better things to do with the rest of my life than to be tested by somebody that very likely is dumber than I am and not as good a driver.

That covers the driving part, and so far as cranky, I am not, that is just one more of your assumptions that is wrong.

My coming back at you this morning was to let you know that you crossed a line with your hateful remarks, that were demeaning to my character and from another standpoint, none of your damned business.

You may throw your weight around and bully some, and get away with it, but I am not of a mind to put up with it any longer when directed at me.

Was that clear enough to understand?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 8:57 PM
  • Maybe a women over 40 posting test would be in order. :) [Just joking if Gurusmon is reading this]

Wheels, Maybe back up cameras should be mandantory so 40 year old women can see their behind. Actually I think I read somewhere that was proposed and may be ruled.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 9:35 PM
  • When a 40 something year old woman can get in a vehicle and drive it around town towing a trailer with a part of it dragging the pavement, and not have any idea she is towing a trailer, I worry she is an example of all ladies that age range and should be tested. That makes as much sense as MeLange's cooked up idea that all seniors over a certain age should be tested, and even more sense than some special test she wants everyone to take to drive anything over 20 feet long.

As for the name caller on this thread... hope you do not mind being called a 'Gasbag', when it fits.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 11:20 PM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 11:58 PM
  • Old John,

She's an exception to my 40 something year olds rule. I would bet she would know if she was pulling a trailer or not. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

Go Granny... Go!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Apr 3, 2012, at 1:39 AM
  • 101-year-old man killed by 91-year-old driver

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/national_world&id=8676220

Sorry Wheels but I had to post this.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Fri, May 25, 2012, at 8:35 AM
  • Seems to me that this thread is another example of 'divide and conquer' mentality.

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, May 25, 2012, at 12:02 PM

Respond to this thread