Was Uncle Briggs an elitist?

Posted by TheCamp on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 11:56 AM:

Was it his fault that many conservatives often didn't get his message? Is that appeal to the youth really a legitimate reason to claim he was an elitist? He often used teleprompters, is that so bad? Will I wake up some day and realize that I had been watching him through cartoon eyes all those years!?! What do you think?

Replies

Bob,

I think that you've watched too many episodes of Deputy Dawg.

I once met Uncle Briggs at the opening of the Food Giant in Chaffee back in the late 70's. I still have his autograph somewhere. I also used to listen to his radio show in the morning on the old Q-99 (Q-99 Rocks Me!), after he replaced Bobby and Brucey in the Morning.

I don't remember Uncle Briggs having any political ambitions. He was just a cool cat in overhauls that showed Deputy Dawg cartoons on Sunday afternoons on Channel 3 as far as I know.

Did he pass away several years ago, or is he still kicking?

-- Posted by Lumpy on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 1:41 PM

Briggs Gordon died of cancer sometime in the early 80's. The last time I saw him out in public before the illness got to him was at a Heart concert at S.I.U. Arena a few years before he passed. Hate to speak ill of the dead but he was a total jerk when I spoke to him there.

http://www.wsilhistory.com/BriggsGordon/...

-- Posted by Data48 on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 1:50 PM

Two post from another thread:

Hey Ya'll, Uncle Briggs never expected everyone to get it. LOL!!!

-- Posted by TheCamp on Tue, Sep 29, 2009, at 3:21 PM

Then why did Uncle Briggs do it in the first place. A elistist, no doublt.

-- Posted by voyager

-- Posted by TheCamp on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 2:14 PM

Soyager called Uncle Briggs an Elitist?? Ohh Geez! I met him at Big Star here in Cape, still have my autographed photo.

-- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 2:40 PM
  • No way could Uncle Briggs have been an elitist.

I can still hear him say this in my head "Uncle Briggs, that's me. Loves you, that's you!"

-- Posted by hoghead on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 2:43 PM

Data,

I am missing a few million brain cells since then, but I swear that Uncle Briggs took over for a couple of guys on Q-99, what is now Real Rock 99.3, named Bobby and Brucey, that had the morning show. This was not a syndicated show, they broadcast from Gordonville. That couldn't have been any earlier than 1984. I remember it well because they had some funny songs like "I Think I Had a Wet Dream", which was actually just about dreaming that they were fish. It was gut busting funny to me when I was in fifth grade.

Uncle Briggs' radio show was on at least another year after they departed, so I'm thinking no earlier than 1986. Maybe the website is wrong, or there was a phony Uncle Briggs on the radio.

I will call Kirby and see if Real Rock 99.3 has any archives.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 3:54 PM

Thank you,

Uncle Briggs was a generational and regionl personality. I thought I was loosing my mind... I had never heard of him and didn't want to display my ignorance by asking.

You know... Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt!

I try to live by that but occassionally do put my mouth/fingers in motion before engaging my brain.

Something no one else on here does though.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 3:59 PM

lumpy,

Unless I'm missing as many if not more brain cells than you, and that's entirely possible, I'm 100% certain Briggs Gordon died in the early 80's just like that link to the WSIL archives said. I grew up watching him, having lived here or in the Paducah area for most of my life, and remember well the news stories of his passing.

-- Posted by Data48 on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 4:17 PM

Okay lunpy, maybe you were right. There's a picture of him labeled KJAQ 1985 in this video. Your own definition of "early 80's" means is what's in question here I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHR5672WH...

-- Posted by Data48 on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 4:27 PM

"Uncle Briggs was a generational and regionl personality," Wheels said.

Must you Obama altar boys be reminded of a certain generational and regionl personality who started out in the Cape? Unlike others, Rush soared to the top.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 8:52 PM

"Uncle Briggs was a generational and regionl personality," Wheels said.

Must you Obama altar boys be reminded of a certain generational and regionl personality who started out in the Cape? Unlike others, Rush soared to the top.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 8:52 PM

Thank you Lumpy & Data48. That is correct. Uncle Briggs was a 'character' played by the real life actor Briggs Gordon (r.i.p.). He was very popular with the kids and also had a following of young adult friends whom he would keep informed of upcoming young adult activity (like party's or gig's) thru his entertaining skills with the double entendre. I didn't think he was an elitist, but I'm sure there are some disrespectful shmucks on here who would have proposed to censor him.

-- Posted by TheCamp on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 8:56 PM

Data,

I called Kirby. He directed me to KCGQ's Wikipedia page. It was worthless. No information regarding our hero, or anybody else's hero for that matter. All that I have to go on is the WSIL webpage that you directed me to. I googled Uncle Briggs, and I found a couple of websites that claimed that he "died in his 30's". Nobody wants to pinpoint a year. The guy was pretty famous around here, surely someone knows when Uncle Briggs died.

I am going to find out for sure.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 9:00 PM

voyager wrote: "Must you... ...be reminded of a certain generational and regionl personality who started out in the Cape?"

Are you talking about Billy Swan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Swan

-- Posted by TheCamp on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 9:03 PM

Crap Data!

Did you watch that entire YouTube video? My computer at work wouldn't play it, so I just now watched. It claims that Briggs died in 1987. That can't be the "early 80's" in anybody's book. If it is, then we are living in the late 90's!

Regardless, I liked the guy!

Now, I gotta find me some Bobby and Brucie information.

Thanks for the interesting conversation!

-- Posted by Lumpy on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 9:06 PM
  • -- Posted by Lumpy on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 9:17 PM

No, Camp.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 9:35 PM

Uncle Briggs. Man you guys got off onto a strange thread. I think I was way too old to remember him.

-- Posted by Mr. Wiffle on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 9:04 PM

Wiff,

Probably you and I was out working to pay off a mortgage while these Uncle Briggs folks were still being potty trained. What do you think?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 10:43 PM

True to Camp's nature. Just can't bring himself to stay on topic.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 11:18 PM

Lump. Reference your last post: I'm related to that feller down the line a bit.

-- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 11:52 PM

I can't count how many days that Bobbie and Brucie motivated me into NOT cutting class back in High School.

-- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Wed, Sep 30, 2009, at 11:54 PM

Among true professional Billy Swan is by far the highest esteemed entertainer ever to come from Cape Girardeau.

-- Posted by TheCamp on Thu, Oct 1, 2009, at 1:14 AM

*correction

should read: "Among true professionals"

-- Posted by TheCamp on Thu, Oct 1, 2009, at 1:15 AM

Grandpa wrote...

"I can't count how many days that Bobbie and Brucie motivated me into NOT cutting class back in High School."

Was that a good or bad thing?

It could be bad if you would rather go to school than listen to their radio show.

Or it could be a good thing like the old GI Joe "and knowing is half the battle" PSA's at the end of each show. Or an episode of Fat Albert.

I was in fifth grade in Bobby and Brucie's prime, so some of their pranks that were funny to me, maybe not so much to a guy who can shave.

I can't find any information on them. I always heard that they went to Detroit (take him to Detroit!) to make it in a bigger market.

Does anyone know what happened to Bobby and Brucie? We can't solve the world's problems, but at least we can locate these guys. Maybe.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Thu, Oct 1, 2009, at 5:16 AM
  • Anyone remember Cactus Pete from Channel 3? I think he was on tv before Uncle Briggs started.

-- Posted by travellin man on Thu, Oct 1, 2009, at 9:22 AM

Lump,

I was told at one point in time that one of the two developed cancer in the throat? (Unsure of that)

Ok...since we're going down that lane. Raise your hand if you watched Ultraman or Spectraman after school.

-- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Thu, Oct 1, 2009, at 10:47 AM

And I finally got it paid off a few years ago.

Mom didn't let us hang around the tube. I do remember the Mickey Mouse club. I also remember no TV at our house.

-- Posted by Mr. Wiffle on Thu, Oct 1, 2009, at 11:59 AM

Don't think my Mom would have left us lay around either, but Dad had first dibs on my services, hoeing cockleburrs, chopping persimmon sprouts, putting up hay and a long list of etc's.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Oct 1, 2009, at 12:32 PM

Wiff,

I must be getting senile. There was one more important reason I didn't watch TV in those days... we didn't have one.

TV came well after my cartoon days.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Oct 1, 2009, at 12:34 PM

I started with Howdy Doody.

Pretty quickly Captain Kangaroo was the thing. I had the help Tom Terrific kit. It was wax paper that you put over the screen and used crayons to draw Tom a bridge.

-- Posted by TheCamp on Thu, Oct 1, 2009, at 2:40 PM

Who was better, Uncle Briggs or Cactus Pete?

Wish I could find my "Uncle Briggs Loves Me" t-shirt...

-- Posted by bobby62914 on Thu, Oct 1, 2009, at 3:00 PM
  • Anyone who doesn't know who Billy Swan is should read up. Also check out Jess Stacey.

-- Posted by crackpot on Thu, Oct 1, 2009, at 3:38 PM

I remember Uncle Briggs, that's back in the day when we only had 3 TV channels and cartoons could only be watched on Saturday's ... unless you awoke early enough during the weekdays, then you could tune into channel 3 and watch Uncle Briggs in his over-alls and poko-dot welding hat asking you to put on your "cartoon eyes" just before introducing "Deputy Dawg"... man those were the days, Camp you brought back some good childhood memories

In an unrelated note, you are also right about Billy Swann, what a great singer songwriter and musician, I worked with his saxophonist years ago at Thorngate. Does anyone remember Swanns semi-comeback in the early 90's? He was in an excellent country music group called "Black Tie" along with The Eagles bassist Randy Meisner.

-- Posted by mobushwhacker on Thu, Oct 1, 2009, at 3:44 PM

Don't remember it any semi-comeback. Never heard of a Billy Swann for that matter. I must have been in Austria for the Salzburg Music Festival.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Oct 2, 2009, at 4:16 PM

Billy Swan is a rockabilly musician from Cape Girardeau who had a Billboard #1 hit in 1974 with the country crossover hit " I Can Help."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Swan

-- Posted by Data48 on Fri, Oct 2, 2009, at 4:20 PM

Of course Rush Limbaugh is the most famous performer ever to come from Cape (as hard as it is for some people to recognize that face). Another famous person was Neville Brand, movie actor. Anyone remember him?

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Oct 2, 2009, at 4:41 PM

Voyager, You sound like a goose yelling "duck".

-- Posted by TheCamp on Fri, Oct 2, 2009, at 5:35 PM

Explain what is a goose yelling "duck". And while you are about it, please answer the question re: Neville Brand. Everyone already is aware of your opinion of Rush Limbaugh.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Oct 2, 2009, at 6:36 PM

voyager,

Wikipedia says that Neville Brand was from Griswold, Iowa. Did he reside in this area, or have relatives from around here?

However, he was in an episode of The Twilight Zone that I remember. And also in one of my favorite old Disney movies - That Darn Cat. Actually he was in several old movies that I recognize. Sounds like he was a cool guy.

Are you thinking of Dale Dye?

-- Posted by Lumpy on Fri, Oct 2, 2009, at 7:21 PM

Lumpy, I am surprised. I read an article some years ago in one of the creditable national magazines about Brand which stated he was from Cape Girardeau. Pictures accompanied the article.

The article did not make much of an impression on me at the time.

Of course, this was before the advent of the internet.

However, I don't believe there is any doubt about Rush Limbaugh.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Oct 2, 2009, at 8:07 PM

LOL!!! I'm sure that I don't have any doubts about Rush Limbaugh!

-- Posted by TheCamp on Fri, Oct 2, 2009, at 8:42 PM

Camp. I'm sure you don't. By the way, you are invited to join the party being made up to go to Rio in 2016.

It'll be safe for all of us to leave the country for a while since Obama will have been out of office for 2 years by then.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Oct 2, 2009, at 8:50 PM

Thanks for the invite voyager but I already have plans to spend the summer of 2016 watching re-runs of the 2009 Tour of Missouri.

-- Posted by TheCamp on Fri, Oct 2, 2009, at 10:14 PM

Camp,

You're quite welcome. I'm sure you will be missed... by some.

By the way, fortunately the games will be held during our winter since it will be summer there. So I'll be able to spend my summer in Salzburg for the music festival.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Oct 2, 2009, at 11:27 PM

Briggs liked to smoke 'da 'erb!

-- Posted by Gigolo on Sat, Oct 3, 2009, at 7:00 AM

Lumpy,

Who was Dale Dye?

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Oct 3, 2009, at 9:46 AM

v'ger,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Dye

Sounds like another intarestin' character.

You guys play nice. The three year old and I are heading to the great outdoors. Have a good weekend!

-- Posted by Lumpy on Sat, Oct 3, 2009, at 9:55 AM

I've searched high and low for info on Neville Brand and kind find no reference anywhere of him ever living in Cape Girardeau. As pointed out before he was born in Iowa. The closest town to here he ever resided in was Kewanee, Il. which is over 300 miles away.

Dale Dye is one of those actors that you don't recognize his name but when you see his picture you say "Oh yeah, that guy!" Being a highly decorated Marine Combat Correspondent in real life he usually plays military roles when acting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Dye

-- Posted by Data48 on Sat, Oct 3, 2009, at 10:16 AM

Lumpy,

Here are a few more in entertainment industry from Cape via Google. Can't help wondering about other fields of endeavor:

Dale Dye (actor, director, writer, producer, other crew member, second unit director or assistant director)Born: 8 October 1944, Cape Girardeau, Missouri

Bart Elfrink (actor, other crew member, second unit director or assistant director, sound department member, camera department member)Born: 7 March 1978, Cape Girardeau, Missouri

David Limbaugh (writer/actor)Born: 11 December 1952, Cape Girardeau, Missouri

Rush Limbaugh (commntator/actor)Born: 12 January 1951, Cape Girardeau, Missouri

Mark Littell (actor)Born: 17 January 1953, Cape Girardeau, Missouri

Jerry McNeely (actor, director, writer, producer)Born: 20 June 1928, Cape Girardeau, Missouri

Billy Swan (I) (actor)Born: 12 May 1942, Cape Girardeau, Missouri

Barrett Whitelaw (actor)Born: 25 May 1890, Cape Girardeau, Missouri

Brittney Skye (actress, director)Born: 5 November 1977, Cape Girardeau, Missouri

Jeremy Rogers (III) (director, writer, editor, producer, other crew member, sound department member, visual effects department member, camera department member)Born: 17 May 1973, Cape Girardeau, Missouri

Ryan L. Hendrickson (camera department member)Born: 24 March 1980, Cape Girardeau, Missouri

(Dale Dye was quite a guy!)

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Oct 3, 2009, at 10:59 AM
  • Here is a youtube video about Uncle Briggs

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_qu...

-- Posted by WisdomSeeker on Sat, Oct 3, 2009, at 12:53 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: