Speak Out: Michigan City Turns Down Millions of Dollars, Saying Federal Money Is Not Free

Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Dec 23, 2011, at 11:26 PM:

I applaud these leaders for not burying themselves in future debt just for some quick money as Florida did even though the looters are mad at them for doing it. They realized exactly what all of Obama's rail money was really going to cost them.

California took it showing they don't care as long as they can get pass the next month and then worry about it.

Maybe we have something going now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/23/us/michigan-city-of-troy-led-by-tea-party-mayo...

Replies (11)

• When state and local officials turn down Washington's 'free' money because of the strings attached I know there is still hope for this country.

It is time we all realize that a federal government which can quickly pass major legislation is one which will trample on individual rights! I will vote for more stalemate in Congress.

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Dec 24, 2011, at 12:30 AM
  • Am I mistaken or didn't everyone everywhere reject high speed rail except California?

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Dec 24, 2011, at 1:28 AM
  • That attitude is why California is such an outstanding example of fiscal responsibility! What are the chances that the whole country will be asked/required to bail out California before this is over?

If people everywhere would only realize how much better off they would be if they restricted the size of federal government and let the local communities and states operate as the primary taxing and regulating authorities! That would cure many if not most of the corruption problems in Washington, DC and allow the people to exercise greater control of the government. Rather than allowing the government to control the people as we are now doing!

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Dec 24, 2011, at 6:19 AM
  • Absolutely right, stn ... People can (and often to) 'fight' at the state/local level, and even sometimes win!

Impossible, generally, at federal level, where the only real 'control' is primarily at election times ... and most of us can see how that's worked out over the decades.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Dec 24, 2011, at 1:06 PM
  • Accepting federal money for local and state projects amounts to allowing someone to pick your pockets, then buy you lunch with your own money.

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Dec 24, 2011, at 1:30 PM
  • Good one, stn ... made me laugh!

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Dec 24, 2011, at 2:14 PM
  • The way it works. Now the estimated cost has doubled before they started building it. Now along with their part they also have to pay any additional cost. What a great deal they got from the feds. Just wait for Obama Care to kick in high gear.

"California's bullet train will cost an estimated $98.5 billion to build over the next 22 years, a price nearly double any previous projection"

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov/01/local/la-me-high-speed-rail-20111101

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Dec 26, 2011, at 12:09 AM
  • Sounds to me like the high speed train might be a useful as the Concord. When it comes down to it, who needs to get there that fast anyway?

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Dec 26, 2011, at 12:34 PM
  • Something good may be coming out of Michigan after all. They quit making good automobiles some time ago.

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Dec 26, 2011, at 1:08 PM
  • Don't they make Obamamobiles there?

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Dec 26, 2011, at 1:12 PM
  • Actually, I was thinking the Hamtrack factory that's making the Volt.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Dec 26, 2011, at 10:51 PM

Respond to this thread