Speak Out: Blago Gets 14 Years

Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Dec 7, 2011, at 7:22 PM:

Will he get a pardon after the heat dies down?

Replies (49)

• Wheels I doubt it but of course Bush commuted the sentence on Scooter Libby when all that bunch was in the executive branch, it all depends who has the largest envelope you know how it works out there in that town of both parties.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Wed, Dec 7, 2011, at 8:27 PM
  • Swamp,

My thinking is that he may have been promised help for not singing by someone like that sleezebag who is now Mayor of Chicago. Is it Rom Emanuel I am thinking of? Or then he may have simply been promised that if he did sing he may wind up on the bottom of the river wearing concrete boots.

I definitely do not believe he acted totally alone. And if Emmanuel makes a promise, involved or not... Obama will come across.

I listened to O'Reilly tonight and he had the commedian turned Political Pundit, Dennis Miller on. Miller was trying to make the point that Blago got a pretty stiff sentence for doing no more than what most politicians in the Chicago area are getting away with on a daily basis. I think he has a point there.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Dec 7, 2011, at 8:39 PM
  • I say pardon him, what good is prison, cant fight wars and feed inmates.

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Wed, Dec 7, 2011, at 8:41 PM
  • I say pardon him, what good is prison, cant fight wars and feed inmates.

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Wed, Dec 7, 2011, at 8:41 PM
  • When you finally get a politician in prison, be sure to keep him there!

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Dec 7, 2011, at 8:45 PM
  • He got a pretty good sentence, he stepped on somebody toes in the Chicago mob he apparently didn't pass a big enough envelope to somebody. I understand Jesse Jackson Jr is also under investigation regarding this situation. Maybe old Rod will start talking once he is inside in order to try to get a lighter sentence. In my opinion he has done no worse than the rest of our corrupted system has done.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Wed, Dec 7, 2011, at 8:49 PM
  • I don't see Blago singing, for either of two reasons... 1.) I think he is looking to be pardoned when the publicity dies down and 2.) He likes living, and is hoping for #1.

He will be lucky if he gets no worse in prison than to share a cell with a 6'6" "Bubba" with raging hormones.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Dec 7, 2011, at 9:12 PM
  • Oreally always has the right answers'

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 5:38 AM
  • No he won't get a pardon and I think the sentence is excessive.

-- Posted by Acronym on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 5:53 AM
  • Jeez! if we put all the lawmakers in this Country in prison for what Blago has been convicted of we would have but just a few lawmakers left. I believe this type of behavior exist on a regular basis and will continue. Yes, he got caught. I believe his sentence was extreme, considering that this has been happening on a regular basis for decades. JMO

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 5:53 AM
  • Acronym: I agree with your comment.

-- Posted by donacita on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 6:07 AM
  • This nation seems to have a class of people who feel this nation exists for their benefit. This class operates as if the laws do not apply to them. And I can not believe that when they are caught red-handed, prosecuted, and punished there are people who think the punishment is excessive.

This is, I believe, the third consecutive Illinois governor to be convicted of crimes in office. He actually thought he could sell the office of U.S. Senator for personal profit and get away with it! A stiff sentence is necessary in order to put an end to this culture of corruption.

Greywolf, you are correct in your statements but this is the reason we must severely punish ALL who are convicted of corruption while in office. This is supposed to be a nation of laws. NO ONE is to be above the law!

-- Posted by Robert* on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 6:36 AM
  • Wheels, it will be interesting to observe who is pardoned for what when Obama leaves office! It is a presidential tradition; the last opportunity for the 'leader' of this nation to pay off supporters.

-- Posted by Robert* on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 6:39 AM
  • He will be in prison at least long enough to set up a profitable book deal.

Maybe he can sell a prison interview with Barbara Wawa and give up some high ranking republican intrested in buying that senate seat. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 7:40 AM
  • Fourteen years? Why so little? Considering time off for good behavior and an asmplr fund of knowledge concerning the asctivities of others.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 7:54 AM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 7:40 AM

I am pretty sure there are laws which prevent him from profiting through book deals, interviews etc.

-- Posted by Acronym on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 8:19 AM
  • Dexter,

Has nothing to do with O'Reilly... I was commenting on what his guest had to say.

Acronum,

Just curious as to why you think he wouldn't get a pardon. I tend to think he will. I do not believe there was not some complicity with others in the DNC over how to handle Obama's vacated position.

Stnmsn8,

When Obama leaves office is when I think it would happen.

And I agree, it does seem like a pretty stiff sentence by the standards politicians seem to have set for their own transgressions. He is just one example of Chicago style politics.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 8:59 AM
  • -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 8:59

I simply don't think there is anyway it could be justified and don't believe President Obama is willing to take the heat.

I really don't think anyone can make the case that what Scooter Libby did and the actions of President Bush are even close to Blago and Obama.

I continue to think the sentence is too long.

-- Posted by Acronym on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 9:08 AM
  • He certainly got a much stiffer sentence than a local doctor's wife got for defrauding the govt out of hundreds of thousands of dollars. She got 5 years probation. He deserves to be behind bars, but I agree it is a little long.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 9:26 AM
  • Acronym,

I just remember the one Bill Clinton pardoned... cannot recall the name at the moment, but the evidence was there and the pardon still happened. It definitely wouldn't happen until Obama leaves office. If I am correct, then I hope Blago gets out in about 13 months from now. ;-)

I will also make another prediction... if indeed Blago were to be pardoned, as an Obama dying swan act... Common will write a 7 page essay justifying it.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 9:34 AM
  • His wife and brother had no part in any of this?

Is it a minimum security facility?

Wheels, Clinton pardoned a lot of folks for political reasons. Some of those were for his wifes's political reasons.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 9:57 AM
  • Agree, Old John. I think there should be a limitation on Presidential Powers to be able to do that. Not just Democratic Presidents.... all Presidents.

We have reached a point in history where politicians have no shame for the atrocities they commit. They simply smile and act like they are proud of it. And we their loyal subjects have to wince and take it.

Blago did not really deserve 14 years in my opinion, especially if you gauge it according to other politicians and even non-politicians. Hell you can commit murder and not receive that much time. By the same token... I don't feel sorry for the arrogant little shat.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 10:05 AM
  • There will be no pardon.

-- Posted by donacita on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 10:05 AM
  • There will be no pardon.

-- Posted by donacita on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 10:05 AM

You have your opinion, and I have mine.... time will tell.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 10:25 AM
  • -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 9:34 AM

I will try to put it delicately, but I don't think he has the stones.

-- Posted by Acronym on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 11:57 AM
  • Probably not Acronym, but his handlers do. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 12:46 PM
  • You may very well be right. I have tried to be fair and didn't run Obama down for a long time as I wanted to give him time, but he has had enough time and I have no use for him, his wife or his dog; kids seem nice though.

-- Posted by Acronym on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 12:53 PM
  • Acronym,

I am not saying that I am any smarter than the next slug, but I had a bad feeling about him from early on his campaign. Too much promising etc.

Pretty much like you on your other assessments. I am afraid if I was married to his wife there would be a divorce in my future.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 1:13 PM
  • -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 1:13 PM

I didn't like him when he ran for the senate and sure didn't like him when he ran for the presidency. I just wanted to give him a chance and had been pretty disappointed in President Bush. There is no getting around that he faced a lot of challenges. I just don't think he was up to the task nor will he ever. I didn't like McCain much either though.

-- Posted by Acronym on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 2:06 PM
  • Ah, Wheels ... Always said if I were married to Bill Clinton, there would have been a divorce.

I suspect the non-divorces are/were due to ... politics more than anything else.

I'm trying to decide who to write in as president this coming election ... Wheels? Regret? Old J? Ummm ... with Theorist as VP?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 3:03 PM
  • I will probably write in Sarah Palin.

-- Posted by Acronym on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 3:06 PM
  • I saw a bumber sticker "Jack Sh*t for president". But maybe I would write in Bobby Jindal.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 3:15 PM
  • While concentrating on just the attempted 'selling' of a senate seat, aren't some ignoring or fotgetting that this wasn't the only thing Blago did wrong/was charged with?

Uh ... poking at me, Acronym? ~grinning~

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 3:25 PM
  • Rod could start talking once he is in for awhile and receive a lighter sentence. He knows a lot on the rest of them Rod apparently stepped on somebodys toes.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 3:57 PM
  • Yeah, just a little.

-- Posted by Acronym on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 4:04 PM
  • Clinton's pardons?

Commutations

Ronald Henderson Blackley

Bert Wayne Bolan

Jon Michael Burton - charged with heavy drug trafficking.

Gloria Libia Camargo

Charles F. Campbell

David Ronald Chandler - federal death row inmate.[3]

Lau Ching Chin

Donald R. Clark

Loreta De-Ann Coffman

Derrick Curry

Velinda Desalus

Jacob Elbaum

Linda Sue Evans

Loretta Sharon Fish

Antoinette M. Frink

David Goldstein

Gerard A. Greenfield

Bob F. Griffin, former Speaker of the Missouri House of Representatives, who was serving two years on bribery charges.[4]

Jodie E. Israel

Kimberly Johnson

Billy Thornton Langston Jr.

Vicki Lopez Lukis on November 21, 2000, former Lee County, FL Commissioner who was serving a 27-month sentence for honest services mail fraud. Her conviction was vacated on February 14, 2011.

Belinda Lynn Lumpkin

Peter MacDonald - Navajo Chairman, serving a 14-year sentence for fraud and racketeering convictions.

Kellie Ann Mann

Peter Ninemire

Hugh Ricardo Padmore

Arnold Paul Prosperi - Florida attorney, tax fraud, managed Clinton's 1967 campaign for student-council president.[5]

Melvin J. Reynolds - Democratic Congressman from Illinois - bank fraud and obstruction of justice

Pedro Miguel Riveiro

Dorothy Rivers - lead official in Jesse Jackson's Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, plead guilty to theft of $1.2 million in federal grant money.

Susan Rosenberg

Kalmen Stern

Cory Stringfellow

Carlos Anibal Vignali - convicted of cocaine trafficking.

Thomas Wilson Waddell III

Harvey Weining

Kim Allen Willis

Kemba Smith

[edit] Pardons

Verla Jean Allen (1990 false statements to an agency of the United States).[6]

Nicholas M. Altiere (1983 importation of cocaine)

Bernice Ruth Altschul (1992 money laundering conspiracy)

Joe Anderson Jr. (1988 income tax evasion)

William Sterling Anderson (1987 defraudment of a financial institution, false statements to a financial institution, wire fraud)

Mansour Azizkhani (1984 false statements in bank loan applications)

Cleveland Victor Babin Jr. (1987 using the U.S. mail service to defraud)

Chris Harmon Bagley (1989 conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute cocaine)

Scott Lynn Bane (unlawful distribution of marijuana)

Thomas Cleveland Barber (issuing worthless checks)

Peggy Ann Bargon (violation of the Lacey Act, violation of the Bald Eagle Protection Act)

David Roscoe Blampied (possess with intent to distribute cocaine)

William Arthur Borders Jr. (conspiracy to corruptly solicit and accept money in return for influencing the official acts of a federal district court judge (Alcee L. Hastings), and to defraud the United States in connection with the performance of lawful government functions, corruptly influencing, obstructing, impeding and endeavoring to influence, obstruct and impede the due administration of justice, and aiding and abetting therein, and traveling interstate with intent to commit bribery)

Arthur David Borel (odometer rollback)

Douglas Charles Borel (odometer rollback)

George Thomas Brabham (making a false statement or report to a federally insured bank)

Almon Glenn Braswell (1983 mail fraud and perjury)

Leonard Browder (illegal dispensing of controlled substance and Medicaid fraud)

David Steven Brown (securities fraud and mail fraud)

Delores Caroylene Burleson, aka Delores Cox Burleson (possession of marijuana)

John H. Bustamante (wire fraud)

Mary Louise Campbell (unauthorized use and transfer of food stamps)

Eloida Candelaria (false information in registering to vote)

Dennis Sobrevinas Capili (filing false statements in alien registration)

Donna Denise Chambers (intent to distribute cocaine)

Douglas Eugene Chapman (bank fraud)

Ronald Keith Chapman (bank fraud)

Francisco Larois Chavez (aiding and abetting illegal entry of aliens)[citation needed]

Henry Cisneros (former HUD Secretary)

Roger Clinton, Jr. (cocaine charges, half-brother of President Bill Clinton) [5]

Stuart Harris Cohn (illegal sale of commodity options)

David Marc Cooper (conspiracy to defraud the government)

Ernest Harley Cox Jr. (defraud of federally insured savings and loan)

John F. Cross Jr. (embezzlement)

Rickey Lee Cunningham (intent to distribute marijuana)

Richard Anthony De Labio (mail fraud)

John Deutch (former Director of Central Intelligence Agency)

Richard Douglas (false statements to a government agent)

Edward Downe, Jr. (wire fraud, false income tax returns and securities fraud)

Marvin Dean Dudley (false statements)

Larry Lee Duncan

Galen R. Elmore (convicted of cattle theft)

Robert Clinton Fain

Marcos Arcenio Fernandez

Alvarez Ferrouillet

Henry O. Flipper - guilty of "conduct unbecoming an officer" (1882)

William Dennis Fugazy

Lloyd Reid George

Louis Goldstein

Rubye Lee Gordon

Pincus Green

Robert Ivey Hamner

Samuel Price Handley

Woodie Randolph Handley

Jay Houston Harmon

Rick Hendrick

John Hummingson

David S. Herdlinger

Debi Rae Huckleberry

Warren C. Hultgren Jr.

Donald Ray James

Stanley Pruet Jobe

Ruben H. Johnson

Linda Jones

James Howard Lake

June Louise Lewis

Salim Bonnor Lewis

John Leighton Lodwick

Hildebrando Lopez

Jose Julio Luaces

James Timothy Maness

James Lowell Manning, (1982, aiding and assisting in the preparation of a false corporate income tax return)

John Robert Martin

Frank Ayala Martinez

Silvia Leticia Beltran Martinez

John Francis McCormick

Susan H. McDougal

Howard Mechanic

Brook K. Mitchell Sr.

Samuel Loring Morison

Charles Wilfred Morgan III

Richard Anthony Nazzaro

Charlene Ann Nosenko

Vernon Raymond Obermeier

Miguelina Ogalde

David C. Owen

Robert W. Palmer

Kelli Anne Perhosky

Richard H. Pezzopane

Orville Rex Phillips

Vinson Stewart Poling Jr.

James G. Powell

Norman Lyle Prouse - Former Captain for Northwest Airlines, imprisoned for flying while intoxicated.

Willie H.H. Pruitt Jr.[7]

Danny Martin Pursley Sr.

Charles D. Ravenel

William Clyde Ray

Alfredo Luna Regalado

Ildefonso Reynes Ricafort

Marc Rich

Howard Winfield Riddle

Richard Wilson Riley Jr. (Cocaine and marijuana charges, father was Clinton's Education Secretary) [5]

Samuel Lee Robbins

Joel Gonzales Rodriguez

Michael James Rogers

Anna Louise Ross

Dan Rostenkowski - former Democratic Congressman convicted in the Congressional Post Office scandal.

Gerald Glen Rust

Jerri Ann Rust

Bettye June Rutherford

Gregory Lee Sands

Al Schwimmer

Albert A. Seretti Jr.

Patricia Campbell Hearst Shaw

Dennis Joseph Smith

Gerald Owen Smith

Stephen A. Smith

Jimmie Lee Speake

Charles Bernard Stewart

Marlena Francisca Stewart-Rollins

Fife Symington III - former Republican Arizona governor

Richard Lee Tannehill

Nicholas C. Tenaglia

Gary Allen Thomas

Larry Weldon Todd

Olga C. Trevino

Ignatious Vamvouklis

Patricia A. Van De Weerd

Christopher V. Wade

Bill Wayne Warmath

Jack Kenneth Watson

Donna Lynn Webb

Donald William Wells

Robert H. Wendt

Jack L. Williams

Kavin Arthur Williams

Robert Michael Williams

Jimmie Lee Wilson

Thelma Louise Wingate

Mitchell Couey Wood

Warren Stannard Wood

Dewey Worthey

Rick Allen Yale

Joseph A. Yasak

William Stanley Yingling

Phillip David Young

Keith Sanders

Darren Muci

John Scott (not a full pardon)

Amy Ralston Pofahl (drug money laundering, distribution and manufacturing Ecstacy)

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 5:51 PM
  • For what it's worth ... Why should any president be given the right to 'pardon' criminals anyway? Kind of seems like indicating that our judicial system didn't work?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 7:42 PM
  • I'm trying to decide who to write in as president this coming election ... Wheels? Regret? Old J? Ummm ... with Theorist as VP?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 3:03 PM

Mom.... play nice. ;-)

Aren' the President and Vice President from the same party in the last 100 years or so. Theorist and I definitely are not from the same party!!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 11:16 PM
  • I, too, believe Bogo stepped on the wrong toes and that was the reason they were determined to convict him on all charges. Chicago politics have ALWAYS been dirty and it is ALWAYS pay to play. Anyone that thinks otherwise needs to check out the voter registration to death certificate ratio. Its interesting how the mob had so much influence over southern Illinois, too. You crossed them, you paid a price. Not always with your physical life either. I use to live a couple of miles from one of the mobs relatives. He never had to worry about anyone crossing him, especially polititians. As far as Rahm is concerned, he didn't give up his job without assurance he was going to be the next mayor. Talk about pay to play....

-- Posted by LiveAnotherDay on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 12:14 AM
  • Actually ... I think it would be great and entertaining fun to have Pres. Wheels & VP Theorist.

Lived in IL for 10 years ... My mother & a daughter still do. Yep ... IL politicians, for the most part, are ... um ... interesting to watch and speculate about.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 1:15 AM
  • Personally I support the right of a Governor or President to pardon. Yes, there have been and will be abuses, but for some who really deserve one, it is their only recourse to be able to lead a normal life.

-- Posted by Acronym on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 12:33 PM
  • Can governors grant clemency in federal convictions?

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 12:54 PM
  • Acronym,

I don't believe the power to pardon should be eliminated, because there are deserving cases, but there should be some limitations. I don't know how you would set up the smell test... but obviously Bill Clinton passed it a few light years back when he was doing his political forgiveness game.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 1:05 PM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 12:54 PM

No, only state convictions.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 1:05 PM

I too would like to see more consistency. In MO, the Board of Probation and Parole assigns all Requests for Executive Clemency to a Field Officer to investigate. A recommendation as to suitability is sent to the Governor for action. Some governors are more inclined to grant or deny than others, so even though you may qualify, you may not get one.

In some states full rights can be restored by the sentencing court or a board of review.

-- Posted by Acronym on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 3:21 PM
  • "Question : Who has the power to pardon the President ."

The vice President when he takes over. If there is an election and another president is elected it is up to him. Better be nice to the competition. I'm just saying......

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 4:19 PM
  • Acronym, Thanks for the reply. Didn't Clinton pardon some that were state charges? Roger Clinton's drug charge comes to mind.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 12:20 AM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 12:20 AM

http://www.justice.gov/pardon/pardon_instructions.htm

-- Posted by Acronym on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 5:44 AM
  • Acronym,

Did not Gerald Ford pardon Richard Nixon? September 8, 1974.

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 9:12 AM
  • - Posted by stnmsn8 on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 9:12 AM

Yes: http://www.ford.utexas.edu/library/speeches/740061.htm

-- Posted by Acronym on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 9:24 AM

Respond to this thread