Speak Out: Big Government Republican?

Posted by mobushwhacker on Fri, Oct 7, 2011, at 1:46 PM:

Recently Cape County Republican James Roche wrote a letter to the editor , found at the following link: http://www.semissourian.com/story/1769831.html

criticising Cape County Commissioner Jay Purcell for receiving an on the job injury while working in one of Cape County's parks.

In it Roche writes [of Purcell]:

"The parks director/commissioner was apparently unaware that there is such a thing as chaps to prevent leg injuries. If we in the private sector have to comply with OSHA rules, why not the county?"

So let me get this straight; Is Mr. Roche, a limited government Republican advocated more government regulation in the work place?

Replies (8)

• It looks to me as if he is merely requesting that the government apply to itself the same rules it applies to others. That is consistent with Republican ideology.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Oct 7, 2011, at 1:50 PM
  • I thought most conservatives are for shrinking the size and scope of government. I personally believe the less government we have, the more free and prosperous we will be. Big corporations LOVE regulations because they can absorb the cost better than their smaller competitors.

-- Posted by mobushwhacker on Fri, Oct 7, 2011, at 2:11 PM
  • EOS I think they will succeed in getting rid of Purcell. He left the Republican Party and it's difficult, if not impossible to get elected in Cape, Perry or Bollinger County if you're not.

-- Posted by mobushwhacker on Fri, Oct 7, 2011, at 7:51 PM
  • Jay is his own worst enemy. As for the chainsaw safety, it is not as much about OSHA or government intervention. It is just good common sense safety practice. Now that being said, refer to the first line. Everyone using a chainsaw should actually receive proper safety training. Or at least read the owners and safety manual provided. If not, then I, having conducted safety training, recommend letting someone else more qualified do the job.

-- Posted by jadip4me on Sat, Oct 8, 2011, at 10:00 AM
  • Remember Jimmy Carter standing on a ladder at a Habitat fo Humanity project and breaking all the OSHA rules?

It is sad that people have to be trained not to hurt themselves these days with common tools. My neighbor and several I know are experts with an axe and a chainsaw and they got that way by watching dad or grampa as a kid and then using common sense precautions.

I have to chuckle a bit when I see a ground breaking ceremony with all the big shots out in an open field with shovel, hard hat, saftey glasses and hi-vis vests.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Oct 8, 2011, at 10:17 AM
  • The facts--- I did follow proper procedure--I was wearing safety gloves, steel toed boots and safety glasses. Chaps are not required by county government but I did use this experience to get some purchased for Parks employees. ------I reported my injury immediately and sought medical attention immediately. -----My leg was sutured up and I was back to work within two hours.. -------The bottom line is I am practicing what I preach----I put into place my belief that we need a smaller more effecient govt.---To accomplish this I eleminated a full time salaried Park Superintendents position and I have taken on the bulk of those duties and responsibilities which saves the citizens over $40,000 annually. So Yes , working people sometimes get injured, If Mr. Roche wants to continue to attack me for working full time and saving you the citizens more than $40,000 annually more power to him.------ To that end---Although I do not enjoy the constant attacks from the people who are most threatened by my service in county government I have grown accustomed to it. Thanks, Jay Purcell

-- Posted by J Purcell on Sat, Oct 8, 2011, at 11:35 AM
  • County office holders should not be elected because of what party they belong to. They should be elected as to how well they will work for the citizens of the county. County office holders do not vote or set policy on abortion, whether we go to war or who pays what in federal taxes. This crap of what party they belong to for county offices is a bunch of BS. Just analize what each county office holder does and you will see how party affiliation means nothing.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Sat, Oct 8, 2011, at 4:59 PM
  • Which Republican do you prefer, Jay Purcell who saves the county $40,000 and cuts his leg, or Jo Ann Emerson who bankrupts the country and cuts ribbons?

-- Posted by nolimitsonthought on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 8:08 AM

Respond to this thread