Speak Out: Those mean cheating, rotten, dirty, rich. Where did they go?

Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Sep 25, 2011, at 10:32 AM:

So where are the angle investors. I bet most didn't know about these people since many dislike them to start with. Wealth envy is running them off.

http://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2011/04/12/where-have-the-wealthy-angel-investors-go...

Replies (9)

• I don't know what your problem is, Spaniard.

Regret,

Some people would refuse to believe that there ARE those individuals who are willing to risk their money just because it is the right thing to do.......in this case helping a person with a good idea but no financing to get started in business. The common theme we hear is that anyone who has acquired wealth must have done so by taking advantage of his community, customers, and/or employees. 'Angel investors'; I had not heard this term but it fits!

-- Posted by Robert* on Sun, Sep 25, 2011, at 11:15 AM
  • "The expansion of government has limited opportunity."

This has nothing to do with it. Read the article...

"The reason for the drop, according to the article, is that many angel investors still have their money locked up in earlier start-ups and haven't been able to cash out through IPOs or acquisitions. Rich investors now want to fund companies at a later stage in development, once they have proven products and revenues.

I would add another reason: overseas markets. In building their portfolios, wealthy investors are more likely to fund new ventures in China, India or Brazil than in the struggling U.S. market."

And the US market is struggling because money is going overseas for lowest labor costs, not because of anything the governement is doing.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sun, Sep 25, 2011, at 12:44 PM
  • Commonsense,

'not because of anything the government is doing'

Raising the minimum wage did not increase labor costs?

New EPA regulations and stricter enforcement of same causing older coal-fired generators do not increase utility rates? As these same generators are taken off line the reduction in generating capacity does not increase the chance of brownouts and discourage new industry from moving in?

Outlawing incandescent light bulbs (produced in USA) and requiring use of new flourescent bulbs (made in China) does not affect the US labor?

-- Posted by Robert* on Sun, Sep 25, 2011, at 12:52 PM
  • Common, You were starting to sound like you had a point to make untill your last sentence.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Sep 25, 2011, at 1:23 PM
  • And the US market is struggling because money is going overseas for lowest labor costs, not because of anything the governement is doing.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sun, Sep 25, 2011, at 12:44 PM

Regulation is one of the problems but the dithering messages business has been receiving has them keeping their money parked in safe investments. They can't make long term projections with the daily changes of policy this administration is dishing out.

It's a shame but China is not about labor as much as it is a better business climate.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Sep 25, 2011, at 1:25 PM
  • Someone was complaining about Ford opening a factory in China saying they were building there and exporting them back to the US. Turns out they are selling them in China.

China is going to be like Japan and will put out quality products in the future.

The US will keep building the entitlement crowd until China owns it.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Sep 25, 2011, at 6:27 PM
  • Rick,

They have to work fot theirs.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Sep 25, 2011, at 7:22 PM
  • Chinese made products as a whole from my experience are not consistant in quality from one manufacturer to another. They do make some high quality stuff, only experienced importers know which products from which companies are top notch.

My advisors have told me that products from Tiawan are of high quality when the buyers specify certain standards. Danaher imports a lot of tools that are stamped USA. [not made in U.S.A but stamped USA] Peal off the little round Made in Tiawan sticker and you've got a familiar tool brand sold by Sears, parts stores and professional tool companies.

China is also learning to adhere to uniform standards of quality and will be a major competitor to Japan and other asian countries for the American market for machinery and tools soon.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Sep 25, 2011, at 11:36 PM
  • Someone will take advantage of it. I will if I can find the deal.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Sep 26, 2011, at 5:29 PM

Respond to this thread