Speak Out: Libertarians For Obama

Posted by Lumpy on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 10:03 AM:

Here is an excellent article on LRC today that explains why several libertarians that I know actually voted for Barrack Obama in 2008...

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig10/mcclanahan5.1.1.html

Replies (24)

• The article is spot on. Just wish more voters would do as the article states and as I have done for the last 3 elections....vote third party.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 10:18 AM
  • I don't care for the Democrat/Republican party, but I wonder how long the Libertarian party or any other would take to resemble them if they ever get power.

Power corrupts...

-- Posted by D'oh on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 3:03 PM
  • Just out of curiosity, what are you hoping to accomplish by electing a libertarian? We currently have a two party system that can't seem to accomplish much of anything even though they have similar goals. How is adding a third party into the mix going to help?

Don't mean that in a smart a** kinda way or anything. Just seems like there are too many cooks in the kitchen as it is and was wondering how you believed a third party was going to change things.

-- Posted by DADES on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 3:48 PM
  • James,

I am probably not as far down the road as you on politics, but not by much and am picking up speed.

-- Posted by D'oh on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 4:11 PM
  • Ah Melange, do we really need to do a history search on your old posts, hmmm~

-- Posted by D'oh on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 4:13 PM
  • Uh, that would be President George W. Bush wouldn't it...

-- Posted by D'oh on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 4:21 PM
  • Melange, nothing, I was just joining with the same spirit and actually used a "wink" myself in the first post, but left it out in the second as I thought the ellipsis would serve the same purpose.

-- Posted by D'oh on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 4:32 PM
  • I think that there is only one cook in the kitchen.

-- Posted by James Nall on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 4:15 PM

I assume you are referring to the President. He does not have unlimited powers and much of his power is derived from his political associations, i.e. the backing of his political party in congress. Electing someone from a third party who has no large delegation in either house of congress to lobby for his proposals would severely limit the powers/influence of the office of the President and broaden the powers of congress. For at least as long as we have a third party President, that's just my opinion, I may be wrong.

-- Posted by DADES on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 4:34 PM
  • I prefer a good hardcore CONSERVATIVE Republican anyday over any Libertarians who have in times past struck me as being a bit kookie. Third parties haven't worked in the past.

Our only hope of saving this nation must start now preparing for November 2010 and 2012.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 4:36 PM
  • Me'Lange,

I have heard the same thing about him. Though I was disappointed in his presidency, I still think he is a good person and would probably like him if I ever met him as I am sure I would "President" Obama.

I don't want to upset anyone either; kind of tired of the tone that seems to have developed in so many instances. If it starts heading in that direction I just click off and do something constructive or go to one of the RUV/ATV/Tractor forums to talk about machinery, but it can happen even there. Sometimes it is better to just turn the computer off.

-- Posted by D'oh on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 4:45 PM
  • Yes, sorry for getting off topic too. James and I are forming our own party "Anarchy is Us"...

-- Posted by D'oh on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 4:48 PM
  • On second thought "Anarchists United".

-- Posted by D'oh on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 4:52 PM
  • Spank,

How many cooks are at McDonald's, and yet the Chicken McNuggets always taste the same.

Nil,

Bob Barr was the worst thing that the LP could've propped up in '08.

voyager,

I often hear that "kooky" phrase when referring to libertarians. What is so "kooky" about Constitutional rule, sound monetary policies, free markets, and a non-interventionist foreign policy?

Dades,

IMHO, the office of the POTUS is welding too much power. I wish congress would actually use some of the power that is granted to them via the Constitution. Like declaring war.

BN / James,

I would ask to join your party, but the mere existance of a party, however sympathetic to our plight, would be in direct opposition to the philosophy of anarchy.

MeL,

I disagree with you that the current brand of American politics is the same as the "fundemental principles that our society / country was based on".

-- Posted by Lumpy on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 5:52 PM
  • I often hear that "kooky" phrase when referring to libertarians. What is so "kooky" about Constitutional rule, sound monetary policies, free markets, and a non-interventionist foreign policy?

Bob Barr...uh...Gregg Talipek...uh...Rick Vandeven.

-- Posted by TheCamp on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 9:03 PM
  • James,

We had a great visit and I would be proud and happy to pre-read your book.

Keep on being "Weird" (as you call it) by golly!! I like it. But maybe call it differnet thoughts, rather than weird. And hell, if the rest of the world doesn't agree... who's problem is it, yours or theirs?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 11:13 PM
  • James,

That sounds good. I will see what the wife has planned for me.

I'm going to run with that "kooky" label. I'd rather be known as the weirdo than the good little soldier lap dog, happily waiting for my marching orders from whatever authority figure who happens to be at the head of whatever line I am waiting in.

How many other kooks are going to be there? I would like to get away from the lap dogs for an evening at least.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Fri, Sep 18, 2009, at 5:26 AM
  • Lumpy,

Yes, it was a play on words and an attempt at humor though apparently not successful.

-- Posted by D'oh on Fri, Sep 18, 2009, at 7:09 AM
  • Where's Parsnips?

-- Posted by Egotistical_Bigot on Fri, Sep 18, 2009, at 9:39 AM
  • -- Posted by Turnip on Fri, Sep 18, 2009, at 9:47 AM
  • BTW: I don't know Bob Barr, but Gregg Talipek and Rick Vandeven are two of my favorite "kooks".

-- Posted by TheCamp on Fri, Sep 18, 2009, at 3:13 PM
  • Kook-ko-ka-joob!

Everybody have a great weekend!

-- Posted by Lumpy on Fri, Sep 18, 2009, at 4:13 PM
  • ...I told you about the walrus and me-man...Well here's another clue for you all...will do...thanks-man.

-- Posted by TheCamp on Fri, Sep 18, 2009, at 4:46 PM
  • I think everyone is forgetting that Ron Paul is a Libertarian (philisophically) who runs on the Republican ticket. I could see why Libertarians would not vote for Bob Barr, he DEMANDED that Ron Paul endorse a candidate after the primaries were over. Apparently Paul is not a Bob Barr fan either, he endorsed Chuck Baldwin of the Constitution Party.

Another notable Libertarian is talk show host Neal Boortz, whom I generally can't stand to listen to, but did write an excellent book called 'The Fair Tax', which I'm reading. It's a very good idea.

-- Posted by mobushwhacker on Fri, Sep 18, 2009, at 9:50 PM
  • Neal Boortz is too much of a saber rattler to be considered a serious libertarian. I used to listen to him on a fairly regular basis years ago until I got sick of his unwavering support for our Middle East adventures.

On a side note, I read that Irving Kristol died yesterday. One less neocon today means that the world is a better place than then. Now if the Fighting Irish and the Packers win, I will consider this weekend quite the success story!

-- Posted by Lumpy on Sat, Sep 19, 2009, at 8:17 AM

Respond to this thread