Speak Out: NASA: Global Warming May Spur Extraterrestrial Attacks

Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Aug 31, 2011, at 2:38 PM:

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1104/1104.4462.pdf

"The thought of humanity being a threat to other civilizations may seem implausible given the likelihood of our technological inferiority relative to other civilizations. However, this inferiority may be a temporary phenomenon.

Perhaps ETI observe our rapid and destructive expansion on Earth and become concerned of our civilizational trajectory. In light of the Sustainability Solution to the Fermi paradox, perhaps ETI believe that rapid expansion is threatening on a galactic scale. Rapidly (maximally) expansive civilizations may have a tendency to destroy other civilizations in the process, just as humanity has already destroyed many species on Earth. ETI that place intrinsic value on civilizations may ideally wish that our civilization changes its ways, so we can survive along with all the other civilizations. But if ETI doubt that our course can be changed, then they may seek to preemptively destroy our civilization in order to protect other civilizations from us. A preemptive strike would be particularly likely in the early phases of our expansion because a civilization may become increasingly difficult to destroy as it continues to expand. Humanity may just now be entering the period in which its rapid civilizational expansion could be detected by an ETI because our expansion is changing the composition of Earth's atmosphere (e.g. via greenhouse gas emissions), which therefore changes the spectral signature of Earth. While it is difficult to estimate the likelihood of this scenario, it should at a minimum give us pause as we evaluate our expansive tendencies."

Small wonder NASA finds its budget under attack from right-leaning terrestrials.

It seems someone at NASA spends too much time at the movies. This scenario was used in the recent, terrible, remake of the classic film "The Day The Earth Stood Still". The original used the threat of nuclear weapons as the impetus for the extraterrestrial visit.

Replies (11)

• "The thought of humanity being a threat to other civilizations may seem implausible given the likelihood of our technological inferiority relative to other civilizations. However, this inferiority may be a temporary phenomenon.

Why is it people nearly always believe we would be inferior to aliens? Maybe they already burned a hole in their ozone with hairspray and big SUV's and are extinct.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Wed, Aug 31, 2011, at 2:42 PM
  • "Maybe they already burned a hole in their ozone with hairspray and big SUV's and are extinct."

But we aren't likely to make contact with those, unless a warrior faction of them separated themselves onto a small nuclear-powered moon and are carting around the Galaxy looking for resources to drain.

Maybe I can get NASA to give me a grant to speculate on that further. I might even point to evidence that they made contact in the old west, but were defeated by Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Aug 31, 2011, at 2:46 PM
  • "But we aren't likely to make contact with those, unless a warrior faction of them separated themselves onto a small nuclear-powered moon and are carting around the Galaxy looking for resources to drain."

More than likely if any did escape it wouldn't be those who destroyed their planet, we would be visited by the eco-warrior class coming to warn us of our evil ways and led by say a alien version of Al Gore....wait a minute

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Wed, Aug 31, 2011, at 3:07 PM
  • Wondered why ET was peeking in my window last night. Now i know why! What should be my defensive weapon of choice? Should I wrap the entire house in tinfoil or just cover the windows?

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Aug 31, 2011, at 3:20 PM
  • I keep several cases of chlorofluorocarbon spray cans in the basement, along with some Freon-12, as an ETicide.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Aug 31, 2011, at 3:27 PM
  • From the article posted it looks like Solar panels and a Prius in your driveway may spare you their wrath

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Wed, Aug 31, 2011, at 3:28 PM
  • Sounds like Shapley is inviting a confrontation.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Wed, Aug 31, 2011, at 3:29 PM
  • Joe Dirte wrote:

"Sounds like Shapley is inviting a confrontation."

Bring 'em on...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Aug 31, 2011, at 4:46 PM
  • I'm just worried about getting eaten by metal bugs that chew though carbide drill bits like crackers.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Aug 31, 2011, at 5:49 PM
  • Read "The Chilling Stars" by Nigel Calder and Henrik Svensmark for real science regarding what truly causes global warming.

(Hint: It's the Sun)

Here's some info on an experiment recently completed at CERN that will cause all climate models to be revised:

http://rockinconservative.com/2011/08/28/all-global-climate-change-models-will-h...

-- Posted by bebo on Wed, Aug 31, 2011, at 6:05 PM
  • BEBO

I saw that this week. It does have Owl Gore messed up. His carbon credit business is going to take a hit.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Aug 31, 2011, at 6:08 PM

Respond to this thread