Speak Out: The Rest of the Story!

Posted by Robert* on Sun, Aug 14, 2011, at 11:17 PM:

This past week I heard news on the radio concerning progress being made to bring a real grocery store into the city of Detroit, Michigan. According to the story I heard, the entire city of Detroit is a 'food desert' in which it is impossible for the average person to purchase healthy, affordable food. As it so happens, I came upon this article in the Detroit News. As Paul Harvey was known to say here is the rest of the story:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110728/OPINION03/107280337/1271/Tax-the-rich-wh...

Now, we know that the MSM surely did not run a story that was designed to manipulate public opinion, don't we? :)

Replies (6)

• Put the government entities in total control of managing the subsidized store and hamburger will soon be sold for $30 a pound.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Aug 14, 2011, at 11:21 PM
  • They are trying to do the same thing in East STL.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Aug 14, 2011, at 11:26 PM
  • Is there a union angle in all this?

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Aug 14, 2011, at 11:51 PM
  • If the figures I read are correct, the store will cost $10.7 million to build and $4.7 million of that will be provided by federal, state, and local subsidies. Why do governments find it necessary to subsidize competition for local business? Small business finds it difficult enough to survive today.

-- Posted by Robert* on Mon, Aug 15, 2011, at 8:12 AM
  • Maybe WHEELS can help me on this one: Aren't they currently trying about the same-thing, in the North-County-area of St. Louis? Seems like I read that a week-or-so ago, in the P-D?

Somethin' like, trying to re-start a blighted-area, that was once a thriving-market place? Before the constant day/night robberies/muggings drove them to bankruptcy, therefore resulting in their closure?

Understand it's gettin' that way in "The-Loop", more each year.

But then again, I only base-such primarily on what I hear/read on/in the news anymore.

Only time I need-go to "The-Lou" anymore is for certain medical proceedures, not readily available here, sometimes.

Other than that, I LIKE bein' a "hillbilly/hoosier/livin'-under-a-rock"-sort of person...!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Mon, Aug 15, 2011, at 10:13 AM
  • Donknome-2,

I probably know less than you do about, the situation in North St. Louis. I heard some scuttlebutt a while back, regarding that... but I quit reading the Post Disgrace many years ago as a matter of policy. Occassionly will look at it on line. I signed up to receive newsworthy articles from KSDK TV news, a paper in California, the New York Times, a friend sends me links to a paper in Florida and I brouse the SEMissourian. I used to get mad everytime I read the local Post, so decided why pay for this crap?

I just haven't found myself a big enough rock to crawl under I guess. ☻ ☻

My opinion, this will probably be every bit as successful as Pruit-Igo. There are people in the inner city areas, they eat, and if private enterprise can operate there at a profit... it will flock there. But if they have to put the cashiers and the easily picked up items in behind bullet proof glass to keep them safe, it will soon fail. Last fall, I was in a mixed racial area in the city and the person with me wanted a coke. I could not believe this service station/convenience store where we stopped had everything easily stolen and the cashiers and money behind bullet proof glass. The glassed in area was much larger than the customer area! This place will not be one of my regular stops anytime soon.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Aug 15, 2011, at 10:37 AM

Respond to this thread