Speak Out: It's time for a new name.

Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Aug 4, 2011, at 5:50 PM:

We have the housing crisis, insurance crisis, financial crisis, debt crisis, banking crisis, etc.

When do we start calling it what it is. The Obama crisis.

Replies (49)

• Or Obamanomics?!!!!

-- Posted by Robert* on Thu, Aug 4, 2011, at 5:54 PM
  • WeAllWillCry-sis?

Given that 204 Congressmen and one President list 'attorney' or 'lawyer' under their professional experience - Bar-mageddon?

TrainWreck-onomics?

Sometimes, I crack my own self up! Hmmm, or could that be sometimes I crack only myself up?

-- Posted by fxpwt on Thu, Aug 4, 2011, at 6:08 PM
  • You forgot the food crisis: I almost had heart failure when I shopped Tuesday! Don't notice those nickle-and-dime price increases generally, but certainly was in shock over the large increases in many things this past couple of months or so.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, Aug 4, 2011, at 8:08 PM
  • How about the era of the Baracko bacon rebellion?

I finally gave in and bought some bacon, if it gets any higher the cause is there for an uprising!

Actually if you look at major unrest concerning governments and citizens it usually comes down to tea or other things or freedoms we take for granted.

The next may be about coffee.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Aug 4, 2011, at 9:19 PM
  • Well, I got lucky, sorta. My doctor ordered me off bacon and all pork. Too much salt. High blood pressure. yeah, lucky me.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Aug 4, 2011, at 10:58 PM
  • Bought 20# of bacon at Sam's a couple months ago, Old J. ... Vacuum sealed & froze it in 1# packages. I'm set for at least 6-8 months (we don't do a lot of bacon), and waiting anxiously for the tomatoes to ripen for our annual BT Pigout (we don't do the L ... no real food value in head lettuce, you know).

Don't want to talk about coffee ... from paying 5.99 a few months ago to seeing it 7.99 and more this week! Couldn't even find the Arabica coffee at W.mart anymore. Darn. I need to learn to like tea, if it's cheaper.

Sorry, Voyager, about the BP and no bacon! Wish we could share ... my BP is always low ... like 110/60 and sometimes even lower. I read years ago that smoking raises BP ... guess mine would bottom out totally then if I quit?

BC ... I still have your book! Wish we could get together again sometime ... always enjoy visiting with you and your lady.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Fri, Aug 5, 2011, at 12:45 AM
  • BC, what concerns me is the public's attitude toward debt. We are too willing to accept deficit spending as the norm. This also carries over into private life. And a nation which is burdened with debt, both public and private, does not have the ability to care for it's needs and prepare for the future.

Although my knowledge of economics is limited I think this is one of the reasons this economy is so slow to rebound. The artificially low interest rates created by the Fed and administrations over the past twenty years has discouraged savings and encouraged borrowing. We now see the results!

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Aug 5, 2011, at 7:39 AM
  • Gurusmom, Acording to Folgers, "Classic Roast" in a registered trade-mark. Walmart's Great Value coffee come in "Classic Roast". Got me to thinking maybe it's the same so I bought some and it comes pretty close.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Aug 5, 2011, at 9:05 AM
  • We didn't elected enough Tea Partiers last time around, an error we can correct in November 2012.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Aug 5, 2011, at 9:07 AM
  • Voyager, electing all those Tea Partiers is what has caused the current insanity in DC lately and made this Congress the Worst Congress Ever.

-- Posted by donacita on Fri, Aug 5, 2011, at 9:47 AM
  • BCStoned: I agree with you, but it has gotten much worse since the 2010 mid-term elections.

-- Posted by donacita on Fri, Aug 5, 2011, at 10:13 AM
  • What, exactly, are you saying the 'Tea partiers' are doing wrong? We finally have the 2011 appropriations bills passed.

The previous Congress couldn't even pass a budget, despite being firmly in the control of the same party as the president. We're beginning to see some signs of fiscal restraint. I have not yet seen any deficit estimates for this year, but the possiblity exists that we may finally have a deficit less than $1 trillion. The current fiscal year change in debt is $732 billion, with only two months left before the beginning of FY2012.

Methinks those that think things are worse have already forgotten how bad they were eight months ago.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Aug 5, 2011, at 10:26 AM
  • Chuckle from an e-mail -

Both Republicans and Democrats raised the debt ceiling to remedy America's financial predicament. In other news, blood alcohol limits will soon be raised to solve drunk driving.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Fri, Aug 5, 2011, at 4:31 PM
  • Old J., I've been buying W.mart brand coffee for ages ... don't see any difference between it & Folgers. But their arabica they used to sell just totally disappeared off the shelves. Not sure why I like it better ... seems less acidic or something.

stn: Great post about the nation's spending carrying over into our private lives. And if BC thinks you're 'right on,' then that's good enough for me!

Pops & I discussed such things recently ... like how younger couples/families are so different than in 'our days' ... So many want it all right now ... new home, new car, new furniture, eating out several times a week ... things that we of our generation put off until we felt our finances were secure enough to afford them. Our govt. has sort of lead by example, is all I can think ... if trillions of dollars in debt is OK for govt., the it must be okay for us personally t be deep in debt?

That's hilarious, fxpwt!

-- Posted by gurusmom on Fri, Aug 5, 2011, at 9:38 PM
  • Gurusmom, Arabica I think is widely recognized as a better bean although it's been a long time since I've seen 100% arabica on any. Jaun Valdez always picked Columbian beans. Not sure if those were arabica or the other kind. I have only bought that one can and had no complaints. Once in a while I get an on line coupon for $2 off Folgers and if it's good on premium product that's on sale somewhere it can be a deal. Otherwise I'll start exploring store brands.

Yep, some younger folks are different than we were. I know some that make rental payments on furniture, TVs etc.

Years back my sister had a new place and folks were impressed with all the tables and decor. The tables were sturdy cardboard boxes draped with pretty printed fabric. She had covered a wooden crate for a foot stool and used old sheets to cover a worn out couch someone was going to throw away. She had landed a good job and within a year she was able to start buying what she wanted with cash.

Different story with most now days.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Aug 6, 2011, at 1:13 AM
  • BC,

Unfortunately, much of my knowledge has come late, learned the hard way. I am merely trying to pass it on to others hoping that they can avoid the problems I created for myself. And I definitely do not want the entire nation going down that road.

I never established the saving habit when I was young; never established a rainy day fund.

When I lost the good job; when my health failed me and I could not work; I was not prepared and had no savings to fall back on. No complaint, just a statement of facts. I will never enjoy a comfortable retirement like Wheels and some other posters. I just hope that my children have learned from my mistakes.

I also do not want this nation to follow my example and place an unbearable burden of future generations. Those who think this country can run a structural deficit (as we have been for decades) without facing the consequences are living in denial of the facts.

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Aug 6, 2011, at 7:46 AM
  • STNMSN8: Unfortunately, it sounds like you and I graduated from much the same-kind of "School Of Hard-Knocks". I don't mean it in a derogatory-way, either.

Sudden-loss of that good-job---especially due to health-reasons---is, unfortunately, just like High School, or even a College, perhaps?

You have to get-OUT, and into the REAL-life, before you get a true-education. One tends to get "spoiled", with that $15-plus-per-hour times-two(w/spouse)-lifestyle. So when the rug gets yanked from under you---that fall hurts that much worse.

Not everyone can survive the transition, from "Rags, To Riches, And Back To Rags, Again."

We're a pretty-exclusive group, we are...!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sat, Aug 6, 2011, at 8:58 AM
  • But we are in good company, donknome-2, and I have enjoyed the ride. I truly have no regrets; having done the best I knew how. At the moment I am living better on less. And the future I have handed to the good Lord!

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Aug 6, 2011, at 9:14 AM
  • "Methinks those that think things are worse have already forgotten how bad they were eight months ago."

Not to mention that they've forgotten how bad things were thirty-eight months ago.

Oops, I'm sorry, I forgot. We are not allowed to talk about those times.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Aug 6, 2011, at 9:32 AM
  • I do not think things are worse, but I do fear that this economic malaise will continue indefinitely as long as the administration chooses to beat the productive sector of our economy like a rented mule.

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Aug 6, 2011, at 9:58 AM
  • Oops, I'm sorry, I forgot. We are not allowed to talk about those times.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Aug 6, 2011, at 9:32 AM

No you really shouldn't Common it doesn't help your cause, as that period was the result of Pelosi in control of the purse strings and Reed controlling the Senate. And yes, Bush was complicit in the ruination of our economy.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Aug 6, 2011, at 10:07 AM
  • BC and Wheels,

That which does not kill us makes us stronger!(and wiser)

Those who succeed early sometimes do not know how to maintain that success.

Doctors often get caught up in the mistake of treating the symptoms of disease rather than the cause of same disease. Their treatments sometimes have results which are worse than the original problem.

Some who post here need to understand that when government attempts to cure a problem it often creates several. Of course, government then feels that it must solve those problems also! Refer to the law of unintended consequences.

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Aug 6, 2011, at 10:21 AM
  • Stnmsn8 and BC,

Enough already.... I happen to know the real truth. Wheels is a turd.

So far as you two... I read and respect all of your posts because of the respect for you, the man, as well as your knowledge of issues and your fairness. You both come from a solid family background, where I can do it myself is a tradition. Thank you.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Aug 6, 2011, at 10:30 AM
  • The administration will just create another crisis when this one subsides....they thrive on crisis. We just have to suffer with them.

-- Posted by jadip4me on Sat, Aug 6, 2011, at 10:32 AM
  • Jadip,

This brings to mind Rahm Emanuel's November, 2008, interview with the Wall Street Journal;

http://www.online.wsj.com/article/SB122721278056345271.html

Will the current lowering of the credit rating be used as an opportunity for Mr. Obama to push for more controversial legislation? Or is he so far into campaign mode and will just point blame at President Bush and the Tea Party?

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Aug 6, 2011, at 11:29 AM
  • commonsensematters wrote:

"Oops, I'm sorry, I forgot. We are not allowed to talk about those times."

No, we can talk about how bad things have been since Nancy Pelosi held the checquebook as much as you please. I seem to recall things being not so bad the last time the Republicans ran the Congress, and then went downhill rapidly, starting about the beginning of Fiscal Year 2007, Nancy Pelosi's first...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sat, Aug 6, 2011, at 11:46 AM
  • "...since Nancy Pelosi held the checquebook as much as you please."

Speaker Boehner has held the checkbook for about a third of his term. What's been fixed? Debt and deficits have not improved. The Republicans dumped a $4 trillion spending cut over a minor tax increase. The decrease in the credit rating can possibly cost the nation much more that $400 billion.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Aug 6, 2011, at 1:37 PM
  • Commom,

You have some funky math. Boehner has had the purse string since January.... 7 months.

Obama has been President over 30 months, not counting August in either case. Less than 25% not 1/3 of Obama's term. Not to say his is a stellar performance but why not keep some semblance of accuracey when reporting?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Aug 6, 2011, at 2:38 PM
  • Ooops too many letters in accuracy. Spelling police will get their bowels in an uproar.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Aug 6, 2011, at 2:40 PM
  • Gosh, I forgot about rental plans, Old J. I do know families who do that ... and have done so for years. Better thing is save whatever their monthly payments would be ... wouldn't be long at the exorbitant rates those places charge before they had enough money to buy their own W/D or TV or sound system or ... Didn't some politicians try to change the system a few years ago? Pops & I rented a bed once ... for a week ... because his parents were coming & we didn't have a double bed for them to sleep in. Rental company didn't like that kind of rental, actually.

And neat .... your sister did much of the same things I did. I found a pattern somewhere to take 5 large juice cans, pad and cover them to make a footstool. Turned out so neat ... We were fortunate our first few years of marriage (when we moved place-to-place following the road construction work) that many apartments were rented furnished. Looking back on 'traveling light' amuses me now ... 2 adults, 2 toddlers and all our possessions fitting in a 1950's-era chevy--or whatever old car we had at any given time!

In KC, KS, a neighbor & I used to go to a junk yard we all called "Macy's on the Kaw" (think it was Kaw ... a river in the area). All outdoors, all things needing 'touching up.' & major cleaning up. She bought a stroller, then got a can of aluminum paint, and it was super.

I really like you, stnmsn: Right up front, blaming only yourself for things you did/didn't do in the past ... No 'Poor Me,' no 'blame someone else' ... Same with donknome ... It isn't dictated anywhere that Life should be easy (although that sounds good!), but many in our governments have lead some to believe that it should be ... with the 'right' help ... from government.

You're sort of right, common ... but think we could go back MUCH farther than 38 months ago to realize what has been happening in this country, don't you? It might not be apparent, though, due to the slow and insidious march of government control over pretty much all things ... including, but not limited to, trying to keep the majority of Americans immersed in Wealth Envy and Sympathy and ...

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Aug 6, 2011, at 3:10 PM
  • Gurusmom, I think I hit upon something regarding the price of bacon. Missouri Ruralist this month has an article about Premium Standard Farms operating in NW Missouri. [They are a little slow putting articles on line]

In one paragragh titled Trickle-down economics it says PSF added $313 million to the state. Farmland Foods added $469m in Sullivan Co totaling $602m. The ham plant in Martin City had a direct impact of $135m. The firms paid $3.6m in property and sales tax in '09. Every nickle increase adds $800,000 for area farmers.

I am aquainted with someone that has worked for PSF and she expained the high price is due to value added by creating a premium product that is targeted at and in demand by high end resturants and overseas customers. Truely a made in America success story from Missouri.

The scary part is from the enviro wackos wanting to tear down the whole thing. As a whole the entire community of suppliers and people are most all happy to have a large corporate hog operation in the greater area.

Anyway, she thinks if the gov stays out of the way, market will be met and prices for bacon will come down!

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Aug 7, 2011, at 9:57 PM
  • Old John,

That smell the wackos are worried about is the smell of money hog farmers have told me.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Aug 7, 2011, at 10:07 PM
  • Gee, thanks, G-MOM!☺ I would shed a tear of humility---except I think I've already sweated it out earlier!☺

Naww, I don't fault ANYONE, who can enjoy an earned lifes' pension. I ALMOST had a nice-one---but my heart wasn't in it,(Thinly-veiled subliminal-joke, there!☺) an' I had to drop it a "several-few"-years before fully-vested. Although I WILL start drawing a PARTIAL-benefit at the start of next-year.(Just enough to keep me in $5.00-cigars each month!☺)And, if my wifes' current(wage)schedule holds into the New Year? We might even fool ourselves into thinking we're---ummm---"normal", again!

I actually kinda enjoy gettin' out of bed here lately, now---because I have a glimmer of actual-HOPE.

But as I step-out of ONE of the TWO-rooms we air-condition---the HUMIDITY-slaps me back into reality, and I mutter:"PLEASE, God---hurry-up with the ICE and SNOW which I HATE SO MUCH!"...☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sun, Aug 7, 2011, at 10:23 PM
  • Wheels, The article reminded me of what Chuck Harder likened to the miracle on main street regarding the Elgin watch factory. Strong county economies add up to stong state economies that add up to a strong national economy?

Trading that old mule around for a profit each time is inflation, breeding more mules for sale is making money.

Donk, I think the Lord gives us all the opportunity to be happy regardless of our status in life providing we want to be happy. When happiness just don't seem to be what it's all cracked up to be, it's time to tell that old black dog to scat!

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Aug 7, 2011, at 10:49 PM
  • Trading that old mule around for a profit each time is inflation, breeding more mules for sale is making money.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Aug 7, 2011, at 10:49 PM

Old John,

I'm all for making some money... but could we do it with something besides mules. Dang I developed a really bad taste for mules back a few years ago in Bollinger County. That is the most contankerous animal on earth, except maybe the ******* that sired them.

PS: I didn't know ******* was a bad word.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Aug 7, 2011, at 11:01 PM
  • Wheels, At one time mules made up a substantial contribution to the economies of SE Missouri and Arkansas. That era was given farewell about the time one of the countries largest ever barns burned in Sikeston.

Some of my ancesters picked up a famous trait of the noble mule and passed it on to me. A blessing and a curse you could say!

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Aug 7, 2011, at 11:17 PM
  • Wheels,

The problems with mules is that so often they are smarter than the owner.

-- Posted by Robert* on Sun, Aug 7, 2011, at 11:22 PM
  • Stnmsn8, In that case I'm glad I never owned one, that would be embarrassing on my part.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Aug 7, 2011, at 11:31 PM
  • Stnmsn8,

That could very well be my problem.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Aug 7, 2011, at 11:43 PM
  • Commonsensematters wrote:

"Speaker Boehner has held the checkbook for about a third of his term. What's been fixed? Debt and deficits have not improved."

That's not true. According to the latest figures on the Treasury's 'Debt To The Penny' website, the current debt increase for FY2011 is $962 billion. Mr. Obama's Fy 2011 budget request called for a $1.6 trillion dollar deficit.

With less than two months remaining on the current fiscal year, unless we go on a spending binge in the next few weeks, I see us falling well short of Mr. Obama's deficit projection.

Granted, the battle over the debt ceiling froze the debt increase for a long period, but the results are what they are.

Nor can Ms. Pelosi get credit for this one, since she saw fit to neither pass a budget nor any appropriations for this fiscal year, despite it being her duty to do so.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Aug 8, 2011, at 8:30 AM
  • Guru, OJ,

I have noticed in the last 6 months or so our grocery bill for a family of 4 has increased atleast 50%. What makes it even worse is that we buy no meat, no veggies and only some fruit, as we butcher all of our own meat and have a sizeable garden here on the place. The price of dry goods at the stores is soaring and sadly will probably continue to do so.

The cattle market has improved some but any so-called extra profit I may turn on cattle sales has already been swallowed up in the high fuel prices, etc. The droughts in TX and OK should flood the beef market and bring prices down some, but I will bet you it wont be noticed at the store meat counter so much.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Aug 8, 2011, at 10:12 AM
  • Joe, I've noticed that it's easy to look at what's spent at the grocery store and blame food prices on the entire increase. After 40 years or so I think I have convinced my wife she doesn't need to buy every new cleanser etc that comes along. That said, it is hard to find the selection of meat we used to see in the stores and what is offered is priced higher. More and more goes into heat and serve or ready to eat products plus more people eat out.

Recently at a farmer's market I saw $10 per pound beef sold out and people lined up to order in advance.

I have about an acre and a half of wooded area fenced on three sides but I doubt I could raise my own beef and pay to have it butchered much cheaper than what I pay now.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Aug 8, 2011, at 11:42 AM
  • I agee on non-food items increasing the total bill at the store. Many here may call me sexist or a sissy,depending on their viewpoint, but I do the grocery shopping instead of my wife. I don't even let her come along. She is the definition of a impulse buyer. I learned shortly after marriage that by swallowing my pride and pushing that little cart around we can save money and most of those bags will have only what was on the list when they get home.

Many surplus items grown here in our garden are sold at a local farmers market. When I was a kid we would sit at the intersection in town and sell from the back of the truck, many times taking home most of what we brought and very little money. Now days we cannot grow enough in a 4 acre garden to supply demand at the farmers market.

I know a man who owns a 5 acre lot that is nothing but woods. He has 2 steers on his place. He buys all his hay and feed. He asked me about 6 years back to haul his steers to the processing plant, which I did. Shortly after he asked me to haul 2 more home he had bought at the sale barn. Last year he again asked me to haul 2 steers to the processor, the same 2 I brought to him 6 years ago!

I had alot of trouble understanding how he thought he was saving money or getting a better product by feeding them minimal amounts for 6 years, only to end up with a old, tough, under weight steer.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Aug 8, 2011, at 12:29 PM
  • It's time for a new name.

Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Aug 4, 2011, at 5:50 PM: We have the housing crisis, insurance crisis, financial crisis, debt crisis, banking crisis, etc.

When do we start calling it what it is. The Obama crisis.

You graduated from Harvard, right? You and Rick are tough acts to follow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Posted by say hey on Mon, Aug 8, 2011, at 12:34 PM
  • Rick,

I think it may mean you are not as smart as Obama cause you didnt attend an ivy league school, therefore you should not question those that did. Or maybe you didnt blame Bush enough. I'm not sure.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Aug 8, 2011, at 12:55 PM
  • Joe,

I have also been aggravated a women for messing up another good thing. There was a time when a truck was a truck. A person could always go to the car lot and buy a plain jane work truck. When women began buying them the car companies began gussying them up. Now a person almost has to special order that same plain old work truck. And the prices have gone up accordingly.

And, Joe, that neighbor may have made his savings on the truck he did not buy to haul his livestock.

-- Posted by Robert* on Mon, Aug 8, 2011, at 1:29 PM
  • stnmsn8,

Funny you should mention the work truck deal. I was recently in the market for a different truck and ran into the same problem you speak of. After a few months of searching I stumbled upon just what I needed. A standard bed, diesel, hand crank windows, vinyl seats, vinyl floor covering, manual locking hubs. The only "option" included was AC, running boards and FM radio.

Only complaint is its not a manual tranmission.

I love being able to turn the hose on the floorboard and clean that baby out. No vaccuum required. No more window motors taking out, atleast as long as I have hands.

I plan to try to keep this truck the rest of my life. It may very well be the last american made vehicle with hand crank windows. Maybe I will donate it to a museum upon my death.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Aug 8, 2011, at 1:39 PM
  • As a side note, I also got a great deal on the truck, several thousand under blue book. It had been special ordered for someone, but was never picked up and payed for. They were having alot of trouble selling it because of the lack of bells and whistles.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Aug 8, 2011, at 1:42 PM
  • You graduated from Harvard, right? You and Rick are tough acts to follow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Posted by say hey on Mon, Aug 8, 2011, at 12:34 PM

No! From the school of hard knocks and I graduated with honors. That is were you learn common sense. Harvard puts out educated idiots.

BTW don't be mad at me. I didn't vote for Obama.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Aug 8, 2011, at 3:09 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: