Speak Out: The US - A Democracy?

Posted by Lumpy on Fri, Sep 11, 2009, at 8:05 AM:

Here is a loaded question. Is the United States of America a democracy?

Replies (4)

• Nice question Rick. For some reason, I get sick to my stomach thinking of an answer. Contemplating the events of 9/11, I'm just feeling a bit patriotic today.

-- Posted by gumbo road on Fri, Sep 11, 2009, at 10:14 AM
  • Democracy is a form of government in which power ultimately comes from the people governed, whether through direct voting or through elected representatives.

Yes, I believe it is. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Fri, Sep 11, 2009, at 11:18 AM
  • Lumpy,

I thought we were a Republic.

-- Posted by Pups on Fri, Sep 11, 2009, at 3:31 PM
  • one4,

I have a fetish of sorts that provides me with endless amusement.

I can almost always catch a sizable portion of Sean Hannity's radio program on my commute home from work. There is so much misinformation broadcast over the airwaves during that show; it never ceases to amaze me. I love arguing with my radio during these drives.

But, while I can filter out the rhetoric, there is a sizable portion of the population that cannot. I believe that the Sean Hannitys and Rush Limbaughs and Glenn Becks of the world play a very important role in keeping the status quo in power. The conspiracy theorist in me would even believe that they are on some secret state payroll to keep people in the dark, and giving these folks some cause to get behind. At the end of the day, all these entertainers are simply supporting the right wing of the vulture.

I wouldn't call the people that hang on Hannity's words "radicals". They are as everyday as anybody else, and are very important cogs in the machine. People like believing in something, even if it is a straw man.

You nailed the question: who is steering the boat?

-- Posted by Lumpy on Fri, Sep 11, 2009, at 7:24 PM

Respond to this thread