Speak Out: Rep. Allen West vs. Rep. Debbie Wasserman-Schultz

Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 3:54 PM:

Not sure how many have been following this battle.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/political/rep.-allen-west-opponent-calls-him-'sexis...

It's a clash between two of Florida's political behemoths.

In one corner, Rep. Allen West, a Plantation Republican and Tea Party darling who has developed a national profile.

And in the other corner, Rep. Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, a Weston Democrat who is also the chair of her party's national committee.

West had already left the House floor on Tuesday when Wasserman-Schultz took the microphone.

She used it to blast West for his support of the Republican plan to cut and cap federal spending, saying it would raise Medicare costs for seniors.

"The gentleman from Florida who represents thousands of Medicare beneficiaries, as do I, is supportive of this plan," she said. "Unbelievable for a member from South Florida."

West was outraged she didn't say it to his face.

He fired off an email to Wasserman-Schultz and House leadership that called her "the most vile, unprofessional and despicable member of the House," and said she is "not a lady" and isn't "afforded due respect from him."

"I think it is important to stake my ground," West said afterwards.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/post/allen-west-and-the-plantation...

On the Mark Levin show, West addressed his recent spat with DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman-Schultz by implying that the only reason liberals have a problem with him is because he's black and conservative:

"I grew up in the inner city, strong values, came from a strong military family and background," West continues. "What we do is we totally invalidate the liberal social welfare policies and programs. And you know, I'm the threat because I'm the guy that got off their 21st-century plantation, and they cannot afford to have a strong voice such as mine out there, reverberating and resonating across this country."

Replies (19)

• Sounds like the classic "he said; she said" drama! Alan West is a good speaker; I have to hand that to him. As with anything though, there are two sides to every story. Interestingly, West is not the only black conservative freshman member of the House.

-- Posted by swift on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 4:01 PM
  • It seems you can not turn on any of the talking head shows anymore without seeing Rep. Wasserman-Schultz ranting about some old white conservative and seemingly hoping to bait them into a fight. As West said "now she's got one"

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 4:09 PM
  • It seems you can not turn on any of the talking head shows anymore without seeing Rep. Wasserman-Schultz ranting about some old white conservative

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 4:09 PM

Hey!!!! Now she's making it personal!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 4:17 PM
  • I doubt if she would have any trouble saying what she did or anything else on her mind. She doesn't appear to be the kind to back down. He doesn't even live in the district he represents. He lives in her district.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 5:16 PM
  • Of course she is right Howdy.... she is a Democrat after all.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 5:28 PM
  • Howdy,

Could I suggest a duel between Schultz and West to settle things? We could be their seconds.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 6:07 PM
  • Black conservatives are always the first to draw the ire and ridicule of democrats.

Everyone knows black folks are supposed to be democrats. Truth be known, there are a lot of consevatives that aren't wealthy white business men supressing the minorities.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 6:15 PM
  • Spaniard just proved my point.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 1:08 PM
  • Spaniard wrote:

"West ... responded in this manner to make headlines;..."

He sent her an e-mail. She made it public, in order to make headlines, and probably to rally her supporters to send her checques.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 1:53 PM
  • He didn't use the "B" word did he? He should have!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 2:29 PM
  • Spaniard - what crime did West commit? Was he tried at the UN for his "war crimes"? Or are you just spewing more huffpost material?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 3:12 PM
  • Because West was in the military, he is a war criminal? I didn't know it was a crime, but that is the way Democrats think. I'm proud to be one myself!

-- Posted by JGC on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 6:45 PM
  • The men under his command captured a suspected enemy combatant who supposedly knew something of an impending attack on the troops. West fired a pistol near the prisoner's head, and then permitted his men to beat the prisoner. The prisoner was later cleared of any involvment in hostilities.

Because West was clearly concerned for the safety of his men, he was allowed to resign rather than be courts-martialed for his actions. Many veterans supported him, but the VFW did not endorse his campaign for Congress.

It's the type of thing that probably happens more often than we like to know about. War is all Hell, as we know. When the realities of that Hell are exposed back home, someone usually has to be sacrified to satisfy those who hold a sanitized view of the nature of war. They believe that we 'lose the moral high ground' when we permit that type of thing to go unpunished.

My own study has led me to believe that the moral high ground isn't much higher than the surrounding landscape. You seldom know you've held it until you've lost it. News reports are full of stories of how we 'lost the moral high ground', but you never hear tell of us winning it.

I was chided for calling John Kerry a war criminal, even though he admitted in sworn testimony before Congress that he committed 'atrocities'. Thus, the indignation over war crimes is rather selective. Those who deplore war because of its criminal nature seemed content to elect John Kerry to the presidency.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 8:46 PM
  • Leave the race card out of this OJ.

-- Posted by Spaniard on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 12:58 P

So it is wrong to use the race card if we are talking about conservatives? Two years ago, if someone said something about Obama they were called racists.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 9:08 PM
  • We send young men out to do our dirty work, place them in positions where they must make life or death decisions on a moments notice, then react with moral outrage when they do not uphold our idealist principles.

War is hell. He who survives is the winner. Soldiers are paid to kill people and blow things up. And today they very seldom fight a uniformed enemy with clear battle lines. It is difficult to clean that up.

Somewhere it is said that before you condemn a man you should walk a mile in his shoes!

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 9:51 PM
  • "Always treat a woman like a lady until she proves otherwiswe." Wasserman-Schultz has proved otherwise. Now she squeals when stuck with the consequences of her own action. She got what she deserved.

Of course, this fine point of civilized behavior is over the heads of some.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 10:56 PM
  • I knew of the West incident - I believe he was fined $5,000 and then resigned. There was never a criminal charge in the end.

I also know this - his number one concern in the entire incident were the troops in his command that were under immediate threat. So much political correctness has filtered into combat situations and it has caused the loss of life in some situations.

It's so easy to sit here and discuss his actions without a clue to what our troops face on a day-to-day basis. An enemy that will send women and children to blow you up. Dressed in civilian clothes. It's sick. IMO not a single American life is worth the hesitation. He didn't shoot the man, he shot next to his head to scare him. He's got my support. And Wasserman-Shultz? I've seen her on TV many times. Can't repeat my thoughts here.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 11:07 PM
  • Florida Nimrods!

-- Posted by vietnamvet on Mon, Jul 25, 2011, at 4:52 PM
  • Rick,

He wanted information. That would have been harder to get if he'd put the bullet in his head.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Jul 26, 2011, at 10:03 AM

Respond to this thread