Speak Out: Geezs. It's been forty two years since We stepped on the moon.

Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jul 20, 2011, at 7:36 PM:

I still remember that night like it was yesterday.

Replies (40)

• All before IPods, IPads, cell phones, microwave ovens, artificial intelligence, and computers with plug-n-play draggy-droppy interfaces and gigabytes of memory.

Ahhh, the anticipation of how the now-current generation will 'pay it forward'.

"This is one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

Hmmmm, no mention of whether the step and leap was supposed to be forward, or backward. :-)

-- Posted by fxpwt on Wed, Jul 20, 2011, at 8:18 PM
  • The computer had less computing power than a washing machine.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jul 20, 2011, at 8:57 PM
  • Forty years ago our astronauts landed on the moon; we won the space race..............................Today we have to depend on the Russians to get to the space station and China's space program plans to go to the moon, Mars, and Venus.

President Kennedy provided the vision to get us to the moon. The vision of our present leadership can not see past the next election!

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Jul 20, 2011, at 10:43 PM
  • What bothers me is 42 years ago we could afford it. Now instead of exploring we borrow so we can give it away.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 6:56 AM
  • I am not big on conspiracy theories, but I will admit, the theory that the landing may have been faked has always interested me.

That being said I am more inclined to believe it was real, but some conspriacy theorist have pointed out some interesting things, most of which have been debunked.

I believe there is a Youtube video out there of Buzz Aldrin punching theorist Bart Sibrel in the face, while he was accusing the former astronaut of being "a coward, and a liar, and a thief". The Los Angeles County district attorney's office refused to file charges against Aldrin, saying that he had been provoked by Sibrel

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 10:27 AM
  • While agree that going to the Moon was a great accomplishment, I can't see that subsequent trips have had much benefit. Once we got there, we didn't seem to have a clear purpose for going back. We go up there, park some space junk, pick up a few rocks, and come home. After a couple of trips, one has to ask 'why?'.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 11:19 AM
  • Agreed, I can understand the cold war mentality of being the first to do something, after you accomplish it the rest seems pointless. Iwont say the space program is the biggest waste in government funds, but is a waste none the less IMO. Let the private sector have it.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 12:05 PM
  • Let the private sector have it.

Joe,

Just one more thing.... and let the government get the hell out of the way so they CAN do it!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 12:10 PM
  • Kind of makes me feel old to realize that i was a kid when they sent a man to the moon and the Super Bowl was started. LOL Think I'll take another dose of Hadacol and a nap.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 12:13 PM
  • Wrangle if you think it makes you feel old... I was 31 years old and busting my tail to keep food on the table when they landed on the moon.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 12:19 PM
  • Just one more thing.... and let the government get the hell out of the way so they CAN do it!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel

As long as it is not profitable they might stay out of the way. If there is a profit being made....look out

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 1:42 PM
  • Seriously people...What is the point in going to the moon again? There wasn't really much of a scientific point to begin with.

Who cares that we catch rides with the soviets to the space station? Its cheaper than the shuttle. I guess we could build our own manned rocket program, but why? Is really worth billions of dollars?

There really is no money in space travel. People seem to think that all space research has to be done in space. Not true. In fact, space flights have been replaced by satelites and probes.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 5:06 PM
  • We never went to the moon, it was all filmed in a studio in Hollywood made for TV!

-- Posted by timexx on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 5:09 PM
  • People also forget the side effect (possibly main reason) of the early space program was to develop and intercontinental missiles

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 5:14 PM
  • Too bad SDI wasn't perfected covertly as the moon missions progressed. Reagan could have shut down soviet agression in his first one hundred days. :)

Unless there is some life saving mineral or such to lay claim to and bring back, I see no need for man on the moon.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 6:28 PM
  • Let the private sector have it.

That would be let the private sector keep it. My point has been, at one time we could afford it.

What people don't realize is that debt everyone is talking about can never be paid off according to my accountant.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 6:37 PM
  • $14 trillion on a a 30-year note at 3% comes out to $710 billion annually, across the 350 million residents becomes a notch over $2,000 annually for 30 years for every man / woman / and child. Just to pay for the stuff already bought.

Should the interest rate jump to 6% - looking at a $1.1 trillion annual payment - or $3,000 each annually for 30 years. Perhaps consider this as the minimum 'credit card' payment for past practices.

Suggest borrowing has value when pursuing long-term tangible benefits. Not so much when it goes for things immediately consumed.

Sorta like the difference between going into debt to buy a house (or roads, bridges, security), versus going into debt to buy delivery pizza (or welfare, cash for clunkers).

If inflation takes off, and the debt level remains relatively constant - the debt doesn't appear so bad. Hmmmm.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 7:52 PM
  • fwpwt, Well said.

Those shovel ready jobs come to mind. We were promised tangable assects out of the debt ran up. Then we got fundamental change.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 8:06 PM
  • Sorta like the difference between going into debt to buy a house (or roads, bridges, security), versus going into debt to buy delivery pizza (or welfare, cash for clunkers).

-- Posted by fxpwt on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 7:52 PM

That depends on a balance budget which we know they won't let happen.

Look what cash for clunkers did to people that need a cheap vehicle now. The wholesale market is nuts and we have seen the end of decent $2000 cars. Those people are struggling to make payments. Hope and change.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 8:21 PM
  • There was a time when you could get by pretty well with a country store, a couple or three $600 cars to sell/trade along with 40 acres of hay and row crop.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 9:22 PM
  • My dad raised ten of us on about 365 acres in Bollinger County, about a third of that wooded. Mom didn't have time to work a public job. She was busy keeping up with us kids. Try that in today's economy.

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 9:20 AM
  • My dad raised ten of us on about 365 acres in Bollinger County

-- Posted by stnmsn8 on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 9:20 AM

Stnmsn8,

The ground must have been better where we were at. My Dad raised more kids per acre. ;-)

We had a lot less ground though.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 9:54 AM
  • PS: It's the devil Stnmsn8.... he makes me post things like that. ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 9:57 AM
  • Grandpa's farm raised everything from apples to zucinnis including pigs, peaches, popcorn, pears and peanuts. The 'possum raised them selves.

He and Dad for a while did custom threashing from southern to northern Bollinger county.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 10:10 AM
  • Wheels,

I think it is some of that swamp water you drank that causes you to react like that.

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 1:40 PM
  • Stnmsn8,

Tushay! ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 1:49 PM
  • I remember my grandparents only bought salt, flour, coffee, tobacco, etc. The freezer was always full along with hundreds of jars of canned goods. I would kill to have one more taste of Grandmas strawberry preserves.

There was killing days and canning days and all the kids would have a reunion and get the job done. I wanna see some city folks do that instead of whining about how bad they have it.

Dexterite

I think you would sell your first born for a Democrat vote.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 3:46 PM
  • Regret, You had a freezer??!! :)

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 11:30 PM
  • Yes. And my grandparents too. Theirs was an International Harvester. Grandma had that thing packed a certain way where she never had to dig for anything. If one of the kids go caught in there they were on KP for the weekend. I miss those big pickles too.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 11:46 PM
  • Regret, I don't remember a freezer in the early days. Mom canned everything and kept it in the cellar. A joyous day when the cellar was given a regular door with steps to relace the ladder instead of the trap door. That was when we got a bathroom.

I remember IH made a lot of stuff in those days and freezers were popular on the want list of most families. We rented space in the locker at town for meat. Grandpa had a freezer long before we did. Dad owed him for his half of the threasher and Grampa would take out his threasher payment and kill a hog and keep it in his freezer for Dad and call it even. If he was in a good mood, he would take the brood to Cape and buy the kids shoes for school.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 12:22 AM
  • OJ

Shoes wouldn't cut it nowdays.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 12:43 AM
  • I just stepped out of a thread where we were broke. Wonder where this money is coming from?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 9:57 AM
  • Wheels, We know we have folks on Hal Bob the comet, why not try for an asteroid next.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 12:25 PM
  • Freedom Man must wear a tin foil hat also.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 12:33 PM
  • Wheels, We know we have folks on Hal Bob the comet, why not try for an asteroid next.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 12:25 PM

No Old John, I did not know that. My problem... I may still be operating in the days of Bill Haley and the Comets.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 1:12 PM
  • Regrets,

Me thinks the glue in the cardboard he is eating is tainted.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 1:14 PM
  • Regrets,

Me thinks the glue in the cardboard he is eating is tainted.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 1:14 PM

I nominate this for post of the year.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Jul 25, 2011, at 9:14 AM
  • Turns out he is a 14 year old kid so be easy on him. He is not a lost soul yet.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jul 25, 2011, at 6:22 PM
  • He sounded like a kid from the start.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jul 25, 2011, at 8:31 PM
  • Regret

alleged 14 year old...alleged...

-- Posted by Rick** on Mon, Jul 25, 2011, at 6:37 PM

I know at 14 global politics and corparate conspiricy theories were a couple notches down my priority list;)

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Tue, Jul 26, 2011, at 8:36 AM

Respond to this thread