Speak Out: Weird News: Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Posted by Joe Dirte on Wed, Jul 20, 2011, at 2:03 PM:

Replies (61)

• Joe,

May be too racey for SEMO. What think ye?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jul 20, 2011, at 2:15 PM
  • No comment LOL

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Wed, Jul 20, 2011, at 2:16 PM
  • but atleast I was able to get in my 2 cents before it was taken down

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Wed, Jul 20, 2011, at 2:18 PM
  • Also Wheels, this story is a horse of another color(:

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Wed, Jul 20, 2011, at 2:23 PM
  • Also Wheels, this story is a horse of another color(:

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Wed, Jul 20, 2011, at 2:23 PM

OK... you have been gonged! ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jul 20, 2011, at 2:25 PM
  • Ok, goodnight folks and thanks for coming, I'll be here all weekend!

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Wed, Jul 20, 2011, at 2:34 PM
  • Giddyup!

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Jul 20, 2011, at 5:11 PM
  • Jockazzery 101

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 7:25 AM
  • A horse is a horse, of course, of course,

And no one can talk to a horse of course

That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mr. Ed.

Go right to the source and ask the horse

He'll give you the answer that you'll endorse.

He's always on a steady course.

Talk to Mr. Ed.

People yakkity yak a streak and waste your time of day

But Mister Ed will never speak unless he has something to say.

A horse is a horse, of course, of course,

And this one'll talk 'til his voice is hoarse.

You never heard of a talking horse?

Well listen to this.

I am Mister Ed.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 8:25 AM
  • Joe, You got that straight from the horse's mouth?

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 8:55 AM
  • Sure did Old John.

I used to know an olt timer who always told me that a pig will squeal and a sheep will lie...I never quite understood what he meant)))))He never mentioned horses

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 9:55 AM
  • -- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 9:57 AM
  • A man has a racehorse, never won a race. Man in disgust says," Horse, you win today or you pull a milk wagon tomorrow morning." The starting gate opens, the horses take-off, they move the gate away and there lays his horse asleep on the track. He kicks the horse and asks, "WHY ARE YOU SLEEPING. The horse, half asleep says, "I have to get up at three in the morning."

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 1:54 PM
  • The guy who crossed the desert on a horse with no name. Weren't those lonely nights out in the desert, just you and your horse?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 2:29 PM
  • SEMOian would have provided a chapperone to travel with them

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 2:56 PM
  • Urban Dictionary:

Owling:

The act of displaying oneself on-top of miscellaneous objects in a sitting position while holding your knees.

Joe Dirte:

Warning:

Do not perform this act anywhere near a horse.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 3:01 PM
  • SEMOian would have provided a chapperone to travel with them

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 2:56 PM

Wouldn't the chapperone get lonely too.... would he/she have a horse also?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 4:06 PM
  • Wheels,

I will have to think about that one and get back to you on Monday as I have an extended weekend before me. The desert ride you have proposed could turn into a messy situation. What if the chapperone had a camel for his mount? How would the public view such a thing?

Everyone feel free to continue on with my Weird News/Horsing Around thread and good lord willin and the creek dont rise, I will join yall again here next week for the Mothers Best Flour Hour

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 4:18 PM
  • What if the chapperone had a camel for his mount?

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 4:18 PM

Joe,

One more thing before you sneak out of here... I think he better be one long legged smack daddy.

Term borrowed from a TV personality.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jul 21, 2011, at 4:21 PM
  • I remember that one.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 9:11 AM
  • Rick,

Or would you record it on video and post it on YouTube?

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 9:15 AM
  • Rick,

Just make sure you don't put a link to the story here and you will be fine;)

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Jul 25, 2011, at 8:15 AM
  • Horse trivia

Did you know:

Sampson, the tallest horse ever recorded; he was a Shire and stood 21.2½ hands high

Sportsman, John Mytton's horse, died when forced to drink a bottle of port wine

Muhamed was the German horse allegedly capable of solving cubic roots

Prometea, born May 28, 2003, the first cloned horse and the first to be born from and carried by its cloning mother

Incitatus, Emperor Caligula's favorite horse, may have been made a Senator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historical_horses

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Jul 25, 2011, at 2:49 PM
  • According to the episode "The Legend of Silver" (September 30, 1938), before acquiring Silver, the Lone Ranger rode a chestnut mare called Dusty. After Dusty is killed by a criminal the Lone Ranger and Tonto are tracking, the Lone Ranger saves Silver's life from an enraged buffalo and, in gratitude, Silver chooses to give up his wild life to carry him.

The origin of Tonto's horse, Scout, is less clear. For a long time, Tonto rides a white horse called White Feller. In "Four Day Ride" (August 5, 1938), Tonto is given a paint horse by his friend Chief Thundercloud, who then takes White Feller. Tonto rides this horse and refers to him simply as "Paint Horse" for several episodes. The horse is finally named Scout in "Border Dope Smuggling" (September 2, 1938). In another episode, however, the Lone Ranger, in a surge of conscience, releases Silver back to the wild. The episode ends with Silver returning, bringing along a companion who becomes Tonto's horse, Scout.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Jul 25, 2011, at 2:49 PM
  • Joe,

I see you're still horsing around! ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jul 25, 2011, at 2:55 PM
  • Yea, I have not yet set an end date to my informal, friendly protest. Sure I will get bored with it eventualy, or get elected president of some strange horse lovers organization.....man I hope not.

I did find it interesting that Tonto's original horse was named "White Feller"

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Jul 25, 2011, at 3:00 PM
  • I did find it interesting that Tonto's original horse was named "White Feller"

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Jul 25, 2011, at 3:00 PM

Joe,

A name like that may be considered racist by today's standards.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jul 25, 2011, at 3:57 PM
  • Yep, only by people who take offence to such things

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Jul 25, 2011, at 4:16 PM
  • Do you know why Tonto and the Lone Ranger parted ways?

The Lone Ranger learned what 'kemo sabe' really meant!

-- Posted by Robert* on Mon, Jul 25, 2011, at 5:10 PM
  • Stnmsn8,

Maybe Rick will translate that for us so that we will have a little insight on what the breakup was all about.

Someday when I have more time, I will tell you about what happened when the Lone Ranger was relieveing himself while Tonto was setting up camp and he was snake bit in a very private area.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jul 25, 2011, at 5:22 PM
  • Since we were talking earlier about "horse with no name" I thought I would share this...

http://www.dailyjournalonline.com/news/local/article_72d2837a-b787-11e0-89be-001...

A few of my co workers went to school with one of Dan Peek's brothers and knew his father. Kinda strange to have mentioned the song the band is known for and find out that one of the members has been living here in semo

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Tue, Jul 26, 2011, at 8:21 AM
  • Joe,

That song has been going through my head since you started this thread. Weird.

I guess the only thing to say is "Dan" I enjoyed your song.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Jul 26, 2011, at 10:43 AM
  • Wheels,

I may not be as old as you think, but I can assure you I grew up in a whole different world than most others my age. I was lucky enough to never have to work mules. We had a few around the place when I was a kid that grandpa kept around. Sometimes he would hitch them up and skid a few logs like he did in the "old days"

I was also lucky in the sense that I was able to expierience alot of things that some of the older generations went through, but didnt have to spend my whole life that way. Makes me appreciate everything I have now and what the "older folks" have done to get me here.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Tue, Jul 26, 2011, at 11:43 AM
  • "older folks"

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Tue, Jul 26, 2011, at 11:43 AM

Hmmmmmmm!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Jul 26, 2011, at 12:21 PM
  • I have to be like a woman on here about my age. Gotta keep it a secret. I have left clues in various post though.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Tue, Jul 26, 2011, at 12:27 PM
  • Too late for me to lie about my age Joe. The ravages of time tell the truth. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Jul 26, 2011, at 12:34 PM
  • I've been told the old horse would head at a leisurely pace toward home when in the buggy he slept. Try that with your SUV. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Jul 26, 2011, at 12:56 PM
  • Lets just say that if I ever tell anyone I didnt have complete indoor plumbing until I was in the 3rd grade, no television, telephone and we went to church in a log truck, they tend to think I am pulling there leg.

We would move our little sawmill from place to place around the hills. My first job I can ever remember was around age 4 packing a 2 1/2 gallon bucket from the creek to a tub at the mill. The old CAT power unit was always thirsty so I had to keep the water tank full so dad could give it a drink.

Then you move up to shoveling dust from under the saw cab and the sides of the dust chain. Once you are tall enough, you got to run the edger table, then off boreing from the carriage, and finally carriage operator.

We did custom sawing for people, sawed pallet lumber. Three of my grandpas brothers had their own mills also. We were the only ones who cut our own timber, the brothers all bought theirs. When we would get in on a good stand of White Oak we would cut stave bolts for barrel makers. Thats where the money was. Like evrything else bottom dropped out of timber, got hard to compete with modern mills with our old mill. Grandpa "retired" Dad went to work for a steady check and we joined the modern world

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Tue, Jul 26, 2011, at 12:59 PM
  • Still have the old mill here on the place. We fire it up a couple times a year to saw us some pieces for our barns, sheds, other projects. Its a old 60 inch circle saw, old CAT power unit a hillbilly engineered system of drive belts, and a old model A ford transmission to drive the carriage

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Tue, Jul 26, 2011, at 1:11 PM
  • I've been told the old horse would head at a leisurely pace toward home when in the buggy he slept. Try that with your SUV. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Jul 26, 2011, at 12:56 PM

Old John,

There was more going on in those buggies than sleeping as evidenced from examining a few marriage records and subsequent birth records.☻ ☻ ☻ ☻

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Jul 26, 2011, at 1:14 PM
  • Joe, I remember seeing a lot of old model A and T chassis with a rear axle connected to a saw, all abandonned with saplings growing through them in Bollinger County.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Jul 26, 2011, at 1:15 PM
  • Joe,

Back when you were a kid, all of the machinery you worked with was OSHA approved.... right?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Jul 26, 2011, at 1:18 PM
  • Wheels, I've noticed that on the Waltons the on off switch for the big saw is mounted on the wall away from the saw. Always wondered why it wasn't within the operaters reach.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Jul 26, 2011, at 1:25 PM
  • Never seen a OSHA inspector back in the hills. There is one valuable piece of safety equipment on the mill. A 2'x2' piece of a screen door hanging in front of the sawyers head to keep some of the dust out of his eyes while standing behind the saw. The only way to shut it down is to pull the power take off out of gear on the power unit and watch the bladed spin for another 5 minutes.

One of my great uncles was bad to drink, so was his boys. They were good saw millers but sometimes didnt get as much work done as drinkin or fightin. They got in a tussle one day and uncle came out of it one hand short of how he went in. A few years later, in the same state of mind, one of the boys had a white oak jump off the stump and land on him. The other boy is now the lone survivor and no longer drinks

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Tue, Jul 26, 2011, at 1:59 PM
  • Here is a funny story of actor Jay Thomas' run in with the actor who played the Lone Ranger. He tells it every year around Christmas on the Letterman Show, the last line of the story still cracks me up even though I have seen it a thousand times

www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7XWOWJ2tF0

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Tue, Jul 26, 2011, at 2:43 PM
  • Ke-mo sah-bee (pronounced /ˌkiːmoʊˈsɑːbiː/; often spelled kemo sabe or kemosabe) is the term of endearment used by the intrepid and ever-faithful fictional Native American character, Tonto, (and sometimes the Lone Ranger himself) in the very successful American radio and television program The Lone Ranger. It is sometimes translated as "trusty scout" or "faithful friend" in Potawatomi.[1][2] Its use has become so widespread it was entered into Webster's New Millennium Dictionary in 2002

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ke-mo_sah-bee

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Tue, Jul 26, 2011, at 3:35 PM
  • http://www.kfvs12.com/story/15172559/trash-truck-crew-saves-womans-life

SPRINGFIELD, MO (AP) - A trash truck crew is being credited

with saving a southwest Missouri woman they found in the back of

their truck.

Springfield police say the 32-year-old Branson woman was in a

trash container that had been emptied into the truck early

Thursday.

The crew found her in the back of the truck just before operating the truck's compactor

Police say the woman appeared to be

intoxicated or under the influence of drugs and was not able to

explain how she ended up in the back of the truck.

the compactor would likely have killed or injured the woman.

The woman was taken to a Springfield hospital with minor

injuries. Police say no charges will be filed.

Sometimes my mind wanders off in strange places and I ask myself strange questions. One I have thought about in the past is, How many people fall asleep, pass out, etc. in dumpsters and are not as lucky as this women? How many are never found and end up spending eternity in a landfill?

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Fri, Jul 29, 2011, at 12:00 PM
  • -- Posted by Joe Dirte on Tue, Aug 2, 2011, at 12:54 PM
  • "He is nuts," says Jay Bender, a lawyer and professor at the University of South Carolina, referring to Fuda and his interpretation of the law.

I liked this statement!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Aug 2, 2011, at 1:00 PM
  • All of which only proves a horse is smrter than a jackazz. Which brings us to a discussion about the elephant.

-- Posted by voyager on Tue, Aug 2, 2011, at 4:21 PM
  • It strikes me that a judge may dismiss the case on the ground that the fake bull testicles do not meet the criteria under which the charge was issued. That would leave the law unchallenged until another day, and another round of court costs.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Aug 2, 2011, at 4:31 PM
  • Everyone knows the truck nuts hang off the back of the differential, not the bumper.

If this truck has a ram's head on the hood, they may be out to get her goat.

Real men are content to refer to a powerful machine as a she, only since the girly men caved in to give hurricanes male nomenplature has this trend started.

Actually a decal of Popeye opening a can of spinach would make the point better!

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Aug 2, 2011, at 5:55 PM
  • I think we're missing the next big business opportunity here - G-strings for livestock. You may think it's nuts, but that's the very reason they'll be a hot-ticket item. Can't have that kind of display along America's roadsides...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Aug 2, 2011, at 9:30 PM
  • I also think the demand for cow bras will be udderly astounding!

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Aug 2, 2011, at 9:31 PM
  • You may think it's nuts, but that's the very reason they'll be a hot-ticket item.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Aug 2, 2011, at 9:30 PM

Hmmmm, another fitting comment!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Aug 2, 2011, at 9:48 PM
  • Morality and standards they proclaim

And now they await the court to explain

It's all nuts and kind of insane

Has to do with 15 minutes of fame

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Aug 2, 2011, at 11:33 PM
  • -- Posted by Joe Dirte on Tue, Aug 9, 2011, at 3:39 PM
  • Weird news: Deaf man complains nudists would not provide interpreter

http://news.yahoo.com/deaf-man-complains-nudists-not-interpreter-144051716.html;...

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Aug 15, 2011, at 11:00 AM
  • -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Aug 17, 2011, at 8:54 PM
  • That's what you call coming up short.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Aug 17, 2011, at 9:03 PM
  • The man is lucky doc didnt detect brain cancer. He would have just cut his head off.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Aug 18, 2011, at 8:12 AM

Respond to this thread