Speak Out: Obama's speech tonight

Posted by Lumpy on Wed, Sep 9, 2009, at 8:13 PM:

I found the statement that he wouldn't sign a bill that added to the defecit interesting. He is dangling the public option out there. The "holding insurance companies accountable" statement that was met with applause from both sides of the aisle was unsurprising. He did say that he was going to be the last president to pursue this, and that I believe. The proverbial "something" is going to be done.

Replies (11)

• I think he is still on the fence regarding the public option. However, this one point will prob. be his concession in order for this whole thing to pass. Unfortunatly, it will pass. I could get behind it more if there were specific language on eliminating worthless lawsuits and telling me how were paying for it. I am also concerned that its cheaper for companies to pay the 8% fine than to provide coverage. Time will tell.

-- Posted by gumbo road on Wed, Sep 9, 2009, at 8:43 PM
  • Wiffles,

The only two reasons you like it is because of the NO public option and MANDITORY ( which is STILL BIG GOVERNMENT) Insurance option. Yep...typical Republican.

You've just tripled the rates for the entire country. How do you expect BIG INSURANCE will pay for the NO DROP clause?? Stupid....just plain stupid. Just forget the whole thing IMO.

-- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Wed, Sep 9, 2009, at 8:49 PM

Sent: Sep 9, 2009 8:35p

Strong speech. Big olive branch to Republicans. Hope they realize the cost of doing nothing is much higher than resonable measured reform.

Above is a tweet from Claire McCaskill. I don't think we listened to the same speech.

-- Posted by gumbo road on Wed, Sep 9, 2009, at 8:53 PM
  • Surprise! Surprise! I enjoyed it. I thought he was a lil' more 'ballsy' than previous speeches. I also enjoyed him squashing some of the 'myths' circulating.

-- Posted by Turnip on Wed, Sep 9, 2009, at 8:56 PM
  • Gumbo,

What McCaskill is saying is OBAMA just screwed up by bedding with the republicans in their INSURANCE friendly option. Manditory insurance?? Yea...Has your auto insurance went down since it went manditory?? If it's like 99.9% of America, I bet it has not. Guess what's going to happen to Insurance rates now?? Can we all say, "The skies the limit?"

Parsnips...haven't you seen the other 50 million Obama speeches?? He's been dispelling the **** rumours for two months.

-- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Wed, Sep 9, 2009, at 9:12 PM
  • Wiffles...MANDITORY is the big problem for me. You know that word...MANDITORY something synonymous with Big Government?? Oh wait...it's ok now because the Neo-Cons are endorsing.

-- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Wed, Sep 9, 2009, at 10:02 PM
  • Here waffles, heres a break down for you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheYoungTurks

-- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Wed, Sep 9, 2009, at 10:04 PM
  • LOL! We've won! You can't have a mandate for the insurance companies to insure pre-existing conditions without them having to raise prices. Which...comes to his other promise. "affordable" only way to do this is WITH Public Option. Yep...we've won, you're done.

-- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Wed, Sep 9, 2009, at 10:41 PM
  • -- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Wed, Sep 9, 2009, at 11:11 PM
  • Megalo, is your memory slippin'? Don't start none, won't be none.

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Sep 10, 2009, at 9:37 AM
  • Somehow I suspect that the president is not quite as concerned about what all the proposed health care plan would or would not contain, or the consequences of it in the future, as he is in: 1) being able to say he passed such a plan as promised; 2) getting his own way on a few points (such as the 'public plan') that he seems to feel personally strong about.

How do I feel about his speech? Another politician making another political speech with lots of the rhetoric politicans are so adept at.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, Sep 10, 2009, at 12:18 PM

Respond to this thread